Plumbutter 2

home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, bartlebooth

southphillysynths
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by southphillysynths » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:43 pm

nso_music wrote:is opening the plumbutter2 (specifically deerhorn part) as simple as undoing the screws? mine doesnt seem to budge
Those screws are soldered into the traces of the deerhorn PCB, is there a reason you need to open it up?

To open the full PB, you have to unscrew all of the other screws near the edges
Dcramer wrote:"Not all who wiggle are lost" :boat:
WHO IS BOZO TEXINO?!?!

sybil8
Learning to Wiggle

grey pots

Post by sybil8 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:54 pm

hello all,
not sure if this is the right place to ask..
I have just bought a used plumbutter2 and have a question about the grey level pots, should they all share the same start/end- min/max orientation and should they all have the same smoothness? some are slightly stiffer than others-(perhaps dirty?) Is this anything to be concerned about?
I have a coco and they are all aligned and smooth.

thanks for all the great info here

Clockgate
At paranoia's poison door

Post by Clockgate » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:54 pm

The orientation is easy to understand if you note that the 2 sets of Rollz, Gongues, AVdogs and Ultrasound, are laid out as mirror images of each other, and the pots reflect this layout.

Also, when I first got my PB2, some of the pots were stiffer than others. I found that some of the knobs were pushed down further. I just pulled those ones up a tiny bit, and all was well.
Musaceae Videos Banana
Clockgate Videos 5U & Eurorack

mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:16 pm

Also, sometimes the cnc machine leaves the odd bit of timber splinter that may prevent smooth action of the knobs. Easily removed.

Clockgate
At paranoia's poison door

Post by Clockgate » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:34 pm

mrbloor wrote:Also, sometimes the cnc machine leaves the odd bit of timber splinter that may prevent smooth action of the knobs. Easily removed.
Yes, one of mine also had an alarming scraping noise, until I found a little splinter left over.
Musaceae Videos Banana
Clockgate Videos 5U & Eurorack

sybil8
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sybil8 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:48 am

much appreciated thanks
(bloor audio =gr8)

mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:43 pm

sybil8 wrote:much appreciated thanks
(bloor audio =gr8)
Thanks, very much appreciated.

0netwo0netwo
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Plumbutter 2

Post by 0netwo0netwo » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:10 am

hello everyone

a few quick questions as I have recently placed an order for two new Ciat-Lonbarde friends to join my family (Plumbutter2 & Cocoquantus2). And ive asked the man himself PB, but I feel maybe this community here might be a better place so I dont bug him with questions hes probably been asked a million times already. :hyper:

1. If I was to have a power source that was way more powerful than the recommended 300mA is there a risk of "frying" either of these
beautiful instruments?

2. What is the safest/smartest way to have my eurorack system play with these new friends? Is it a "no-no" altogether or is that what the device by low gain electronics and others like it are for?

https://www.perfectcircuit.com/low-gain ... gL9CvD_BwE

or what about something like this

https://www.perfectcircuit.com/kilpatri ... e-kit.html

3. About how many and which lengths of banana cables should i get for each instrument?

thanks beforehand for your advice/help!

Antlerface
Common Wiggler

Post by Antlerface » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:29 pm

I'm also curious about eurorack integration with the PB2.
doomlove.

My Eurorack

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:40 pm

Antlerface wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:29 pm
I'm also curious about eurorack integration with the PB2.
I’ve never tried it. A MW search returns a lot of hits, but they just wind up confusing and scaring me.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:27 pm

Regarding power, yes fine to go with a bigger supply & daisy chain multiple devices, most of the time I'm running a few CL instruments off a scavenged 1amp supply from old routers.

Regarding integration with eurorack, you need to make a common ground, sometimes CL comes with a ground plug by the power but I've had some that don't, It's always advisable to install one. Use the lowgain box as it will give you plenty of connections & a common earth connection. I think if you connect both instruments to a mixer then they are grounded but I'm belt n braces, so would prefer physical ground cables.
Patching, please patch nothing from euro into the browns of a plumbutter, I'd avoid the yellows on the ultrasound filters as well. Everything else seems good to go. I have no eurorack but there is a post on here with the voltages from the various outputs.

Length of cables, get a nice assortment, long enough to patch between instruments (4 x 50cm) & plenty of short ones for the rollz & mid ones for patching up the voices. I started with a roll of wire & some nana plugs stackable plugs & kinda made them up as needed, Bugbrand sells nice sets of cables in the uk, I've had packs of his old cables when he's cleared them out so it's always good to look out for used ones on here. You can go all fancy with pomona but they are mad expensive, cheapest option is always to make up your own. I also have these & the quality price is good so search for similar nana for cheap.

Here's my 10 cents worth, start slow, you can loose a day exploring what the grey dust output from the snare can do when connected to different inputs. Personally I wouldn't try & integrate them into other systems, to me it's outside in a world of it's own, yes first patch is always a 4 rollz into a gongue and tune it down for that lovely bass drum kick, wave you're hands in the air, but patch the audio (white) out of a deerhorn & you can freely improvise those kicks. I've never known electronic instruments to be so insanely creative, even when you get a semi steady rhythm you can interject it with a gesture by disturbing the rollz or mwrs. Prepare for some head scratching cos the manual is crap & Peter has obscured everything with crazy speak, just remember cool colours are ins, hot colours are outs & anything goes.

Welcome to the club :party:

mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:07 am

Just to add, saying Peter's descriptions are 'crazy speak' is a bit naughty, I have found his psycogeographical analogy for plumbutter quite useful so I've expanded it a bit.

mwrs is the factory - 4 rollz is a multinational, 3 rollz is an independent - centre voice section are the suburbs - deerhorn is the wild -

Heavy industry has a big effect on those living in the suburbs, it will turn you into a robot but like Detroit can also be used to party.

In the suburbs it's very multi cultural with a lot of flavours. These flavours can get organised by the industrial and turn full hippy if introduced to the wild. Add some of those flavours into industry & you get a more diverse business model, add some flavours to the wild & you get a nice campsite.

Where the deer live is wild & untamed with a lot of freewill. Throw the deer into the suburbs & things start to get upset, others will turn full hippy & go free style. Throw a deer into a factory & it goes a bit haywire, the order of things get a bit disturbed and Jeff Bezos goes bust cos the wrong packages start being delivered & the van drivers have to swerve in reaction.

Enjoy.

timeforest
Common Wiggler

Post by timeforest » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:05 am

thanks for these posts. they’re super useful ! i’m awaiting delivery of pb and coco here as well (my first CL)

trying to decide on a psu right now. any tips for a specific one? looking at these

it seems silly to worry about a psu but i swear i’ve read stuff about people having minor issues

mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:54 am

seems good but you could get something rated around 1a

& get one of these to power both of the same supply daisy chain

mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:05 am

I've only ever gotten CL individually, spend a bit of time without cross patching to get a feel for each instrument.

Have a listen to this Capacity & resistance

timeforest
Common Wiggler

Post by timeforest » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:25 am

thanks - can you/anyone recommend me a psu that i could use to daisy chain pb and coco that’s available from amazon us or another domestic place

mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:59 pm

Fairly certain the one posted is ok, I've used 1amp supply with just a plumbutter which is loads and instruments will only ever draw down what they need. As long as it's 12v centre pin +'ve it should be good. Over the years I seem to have acquired quite a lot of supplies that came with a variety of wireless routers. This one will also do power

0netwo0netwo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by 0netwo0netwo » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:09 pm

Just noticed last night and hat my 1/8” out on top is not as tight a fit as the 1/8” ins on the bottom. The connection will slide out with less effort than it will with the ones on the bottom. Is this just something normal or should i be concerned and have to send it back to be repaired??

Since i noticed it im kinda freaking out 😟

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”