pretending a cocoquantus

home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, bartlebooth

dude
fuck yeah!

Post by dude » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:17 pm

trigger pulled on monome 64 2010 (no variable brightness) dl'd serialosc and monolace. no troubles yet but of course don't have the monome. i have started making music and tinkering again after finishing my last album and i do it out of the studio with monitors set up.

what else do i need with the monolase setup? grid program? what is that? or is serialosc and monolase enough?

any other amazing monome progs that are "required reading" type stuff? i don't want to dig too deep currently as to overwhelm myself upon arrival of device plus i like the idea of dedicated instruments conceptually (and hate computer/software/softsynths aside from the necessary evil of recording).

foodz for thoughts?

anyone please om me if they would be interested about talking me through some of this stuff over the phone. i love talking to wigglers about the good shit (or the bad)!!!

Quasi
Common Wiggler

Post by Quasi » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:20 pm

Couldn't live without the COCO!! But I love the idea of exploring a way to get to the same point but from a different path.

dude
fuck yeah!

Post by dude » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:28 am

i have to say, that monolase is THE coco emulator. ten steps up if you go the party van route as all the other stuff in there afford so many additional flavors.

monome totally took over my ciat-lonbarde seeking/exploration/lust at least for the time being.

Quasi
Common Wiggler

Post by Quasi » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:54 am

Post a vid if you can Dude. Would love to see/hear what you are doing.

Scories
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scories » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:27 pm

The Nebuliser fx - filtered granulator - on Audiomulch brings me in samey waters (without the lo-fi factor).

Hainbach
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hainbach » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:18 pm

mrbloor wrote:That's a tough one, I love the sound quality. The red panda particle is awesome with Sid I have also been using a marantz pmd cassette with endless tapes, these are great with 2 speeds and pitch control.
Another fun device is the Martin Howse Black Death synth, I specified more sampling and less plague code.

I have yet to use Sid & coco together :tu:
Where did you get endless tapes? I'd love that as I also have a PMD.

mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:08 am

Hainbach I get mine from here

Tapeline

They sell quite a few lengths

Hainbach
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hainbach » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:28 am

Thanks, will order there! I also found one in Germany now but they are the same price, even with the massive shipping cost.

wednesdayayay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wednesdayayay » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:12 am

http://www.instructables.com/id/Audio-C ... /?ALLSTEPS
I'm going to give this a shot and see how easy it is
sh is the sound of data
bobo is the gesture

PB

glia
Veteran Wiggler

Post by glia » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:16 am

...making me want a pmd again

love those things but never used one with tape loops

mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:01 am

wednesdayayay wrote:http://www.instructables.com/id/Audio-C ... /?ALLSTEPS
I'm going to give this a shot and see how easy it is
Cheapskate :tu:

The PMD's are a great machine, there are plenty in USA as I believe they were used in courtrooms.

Everytime one comes up on eBay I can't help but have a punt.

glia
Veteran Wiggler

Post by glia » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:53 am

i've owned 4

they all broke at some point and i couldnt be arsed to fix them

loved the portability, sturdiness, & pitch control tho

Scories
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scories » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:44 pm

glia wrote:i've owned 4

4 broken Cocoquantus?? :woah:

megamaeng
Wiggling with Experience

Post by megamaeng » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:17 pm

Reviving this thread because the "coco or pb first?" thread got me thinking about using guitar pedals.

How about using 2 of these and something like a boss ls-2 to run them in series or parallel?

[video][/video]

I realize that it won't have nearly the same modulation options but still would be plenty of fun. I'm thinking less of a pretending a cocoquantus discussion and more of a how to have as much fun with a small battery powered pedal setup?

Any other ideas? I know mrbloor mentioned loopers and a red panda particle.

mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:20 pm

glia wrote:i've owned 4

send them over my way :tu:

mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:25 pm

I think that was 4 broken PMD's not Cocoquantus :yay:

those montreal assembly pedals do look fun :party:

twincities
Wiggling with Experience

Post by twincities » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:54 pm

the count to 5 is plenty of fun! it is lacking a lot of the immediate results i find you can get from the coco though. maybe it's the actual sound of the unit? but i usually find things from the count to 5 need to be processed further to not sound like obvious loops and pitchy delays whereas the cocos loops always have a more organic feel that make you question whether what you're hearing is actually a loop or not. that right there is the best part of the coco for me! then again, i've only had the CT5 for a few weeks so maybe opinions will change.

aethersprite
Wiggling with Expedience

Post by aethersprite » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:01 pm

I had the Montreal Assembly Goodbye 24 for a while, it was pretty fantastic and the Count to Five seems to retain all of the 24's joy and immediacy but with far more sophistication. I sold my Goodbye 24 right when I got my Cocoquantus :cloud:

megamaeng
Wiggling with Experience

Post by megamaeng » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:57 pm

twincities wrote:i usually find things from the count to 5 need to be processed further to not sound like obvious loops and pitchy delays whereas the cocos loops always have a more organic feel that make you question whether what you're hearing is actually a loop or not.
aethersprite wrote:I sold my Goodbye 24 right when I got my Cocoquantus.
I think those two thoughts neatly ties a bow on all the other things I read and advice I got. I really got to try out a coco!

windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by windspirit » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:23 am

Some examples of the coco PD clone that I made driving a phase vocoder. It gets rid of a lot of the audio rate glitches but it makes some interesting effects possible without changing the pitch. I also have it set up to drive a grainular sampler.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/162339564" params="color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false" width="100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/153685292" params="color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false" width="100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]

megamaeng
Wiggling with Experience

Post by megamaeng » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:37 pm

Those were awesome windspirit!

They're really close to what I would hope to be able to do with the cocoquantus. Especially SomeCocoEmberLace. What was the source material?

You mentioned the differences between that and a cocoquantus. Do you think that those differences is what made those tracks sound like that or at the core is it similar to what you can do with a cocoquantus?

That's the kind of stuff I initially thought might be possible with the count to five.

windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by windspirit » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:50 pm

The cocolase can acheive most of the effects in both sound examples but is ALSO able to do some more "audio rate" modulation for extra wierdness. The main difference between my cocovocoder and the actual cocoquantus is the isolation of time stretching and pitch shifting (as well as the modulation scheme.) Therefore on the normal cocoquantus, you change the pitch of the sample by changing the speed of playback, and likewise changing the speed changes the pitch. There are ways to make the sample slower without re-piching but it is mostly by using flip or skip and so other artifacts are introduced (which is the whole point of the instrument.) The cocolase acts more like a record player where you are scratching with a crazy impossible playhead. Cocovocoder does a similar thing to decide the position of sample playback but will either output a grain or the spectral content of the playback position.

Let me know if anything about that isn't clear :p. Ill be recompiling my coco code on windows as soon as I switch back over.

megamaeng
Wiggling with Experience

Post by megamaeng » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:44 am

Is it just me or does the manipulation of the sample in this video after 0:50 sound like something that would come out of the cocoquantus?

[video][/video]

twincities
Wiggling with Experience

Post by twincities » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:11 pm

megamaeng wrote:Is it just me or does the manipulation of the sample in this video after 0:50 sound like something that would come out of the cocoquantus?

[video]
i use both in conjunction quite often. both are 8 bit samplers so there are certainly some similarities, but the key difference is in workflow. the vss30 is 100% predictable. i know every inch of that sampler, know how to get exactly what i want out of it, can plan parts in my head, etc. the coco on the other hand is really a living breathing thing. recording with it is a fight from start to finish (in a good way). it'll change sounds and continue to evolve if you take your hands off and walk away. i have ideas of what it'll do to sounds, but i can't specifically plan a rhythmic/melodic part exactly and make it happen on there usually. on the vss30, that's child's play.

the vss-30 lacks any real tools for sequencing/looping/constantly generating sounds without your input. it's harder to get that spontaneous magic that the coco has when in order to make a sound you have to chose to press that key.

(part of this could obviously be bias and experience. the vss-30 is my favorite instrument hands down, and i've been using one pretty often for years now. the coco, though i've had it for a few years still feels very "new" every time i use it. the vss is like grabbing your favorite old acoustic you always reach for to write.)

wednesdayayay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wednesdayayay » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:43 pm

this 8 bit harmony is why I love the casio sk1 with the coco

a buddy just told me he found a casio series keyboard (not the five) that can hold 4 samples I hope he'll let me buy it :cloud:

but man the vss30 looks awesome I can see why it is held in high regard
sh is the sound of data
bobo is the gesture

PB

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”