nw2s::b - Arduino based algorithmic controller

Discussion, support, and resources for our noise making modules and kits.

Moderators: Kent, scottwilson

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:27 am

The idea of having breakout panels for sensors is pretty neat...

scottwilson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scottwilson » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:17 am

An older version of the BOM is on the kit page: http://nw2s.net/product/nw2s-b-fullkit/

Just beware that things have changed somewhat, primarily when I added support for bipolar input and output, most of the resistors changed values as well as some of the op amps. Otherwise, it's missing a lot of the mechanical details.

I'll be able to provide an accurate BOM as I finish assembling kits.

And as to the location of the Arduino, there are a total of 5 PCBs in the assembly. The two big ones are the panel board and the main board. These are stacked on top of each other. The Arduino is then stacked below the main board. Then there are three smaller PCBs for Bluetooth, an LED Driver, and the SD card reader as well.

s

scottwilson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scottwilson » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:28 am

Things are coming along. No photos handy, but almost all of the PCBs are ready.

The only thing holding me back is that the switches are still not ready yet. Newark updated the order to say they would be going out on April 16th. I've been looking around for an alternative, but haven't found anything that will work - and that would get here sooner.

But anyway, this means that everything will be sitting around waiting for the switches, and as soon as those go in, I'll be reaching out to you, either invoicing you if I know how much shipping will be or will be working with you international folk how to get it to you reliably.

Thanks for everyone's patience! 2 more weeks!

Regards,

Scott

akrylik
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by akrylik » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:31 am

What are the design requirements for the switches?

scottwilson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scottwilson » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:53 am

The switches I'm waiting on are Grayhill 34ASP51B1M2QT.

Miniature, SPDT on-off-(on), PCB mount. Most of the switches I've found in-stock are wire lug which doesn't fit through the holes on the PCB.

There are some TE switches that match on Mouser that I'm going to order, so that will get some to me a week sooner. The Grayhills are better quality, but if they take 4 months each time I need some, that won't do at all.

-s

akrylik
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by akrylik » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:41 am

How about these?

http://jp.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NKK- ... 8lHHKuA%3d

Part No.: M2013SS1W03

I've purchased them before and they feel really nice and they are epoxy sealed which your Grayhill's are not and I think they are cheaper? NKK is known for excellent quality switches.

scottwilson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scottwilson » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:22 am

This is what I'd need, and they only have 20, but the factory lead time is only 2 weeks. The price is about the same.

http://jp.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NKK- ... 8Ing%3d%3d

Not that you _have_ to have the momentary side be momentary, but that's basically the point... to have one side be latched and the other side be more of a trigger.

Thanks for that pointer!

s

akrylik
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by akrylik » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:55 pm

Ah Oops :doh: sorry for that.

I completely missed the momentary part of your design spec.

poladark
Wiggling with Experience

Post by poladark » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:00 am

How big of a change would it be to change some of the inputs/outputs to "monopolar" (if, one for instance wanted higher resolution on the CV for notes )? Would that be a simple matter of changing some resistors and op-amps as well?

scottwilson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scottwilson » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:26 am

Good news: the switches shipped. I must have called Newark right when they got in or something since the order was marked as shipped the day after I called to get a date estimate.

I expect to have them early next week. I will be finishing up the builds and the kits in the next week or two and will be reaching out to you all.

Thanks so much for your support and patience!

s

scottwilson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scottwilson » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:30 am

The monopolar-bipoarness required a significant circuit change (and software update to invert the output voltages), so unfortunately, that is not an easy mod... I'd go so far as to say it's an impossible mod...

However, to answer the question of CV notes, yes, the resolution is still high enough to be able to output even numbers on all of the 12 semitones of a standard scale. Additionally, each of the 16 outputs are individually tuned, so you don't have to worry about one of the voices being 3% out just by chance of mismatched resistors.

s

scottwilson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scottwilson » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:16 am

Units are starting to ship! I'm in the process of emailing everyone. The only thing slowing things down are all the cables I have to make! I'll never underestimate the work required for the board interconnects ever again! Anyway, if you haven't heard from me, you should by the end of the week.

Thanks again,

Scott

akrylik
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by akrylik » Fri May 09, 2014 1:57 am

Just got my kit in the mail! :sb:

And this kit looks amazing! Everything is nicely packed and only the best components. Now I know what you mean by the cabling taking for ever to make. Thank you for pre-assembling the cables for the kit!

BTW how many hours is the build?

scottwilson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scottwilson » Fri May 09, 2014 6:10 am

Sooo sorry these are taking so long to get out. If I've learned anything it's that there is a limit of how much one person can do! Have a couple of more ideas rattling around in my head and they will all 1. be SMT and 2. not need any board interconnects!

I think the build is probably going to be about 4 to 8 hours - closer to 8 probably. There's a lot there, obviously, and you'll want to take your time. I have most of the instructions together and should have those up by the end of the weekend.

For those who I haven't contacted yet - I'm getting there! won't be long now.

Regards,

Scott

scottwilson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scottwilson » Fri May 09, 2014 8:27 am

Oh and when I said this:

"The monopolar-bipoarness required a significant circuit change (and software update to invert the output voltages), so unfortunately, that is not an easy mod... I'd go so far as to say it's an impossible mod.."

I was wrong.

I realize now that the way I set it up you can bias the op amps top operate in any range you want. 0-5, -5 - +5, -5 - +10, -3.7 - +6.1, etc. I'm just only planning (now) on supporing the two modes of +/- 5 and +/- 10 in the framework as that's likely the most used and the easiest to switch in code (divide by 2)

s

akrylik
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by akrylik » Fri May 09, 2014 9:38 pm

Scott, do you think you could put the most recent BOM up with the reference ids. I'm just going through and taking inventory before I begin building.

scottwilson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scottwilson » Fri May 09, 2014 9:46 pm

Yup. I'll put that up tonight.

-s

scottwilson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scottwilson » Fri May 09, 2014 10:35 pm

Here's the updated panel board assembly guide. It included the BOM just for that board on the page, but also links to a zip file that contains the schematics and complete BOM list as PDF.

http://nw2s.net/nw2sb-panel-board-assembly-guide/

http://nw2s.net/wp-content/uploads/2014 ... -build.zip

-s

akrylik
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by akrylik » Fri May 09, 2014 11:12 pm

Perfect! Thank you, Scott.

poladark
Wiggling with Experience

Post by poladark » Sat May 10, 2014 3:52 pm

Got my assembled version today. I'm amazed at how solid this thing is. The knobs and the pots feel great. Looking forward to really getting my hands dirty tomorrow.

apfEID
electro-vivisection

Post by apfEID » Sat May 10, 2014 6:13 pm

Wow, this thing looks amazing. I can't afford one right now, but definitely looking forward to seeing how people use theirs!
Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
http://anthonysaunders.bandcamp.com/

akrylik
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by akrylik » Sat May 10, 2014 9:57 pm

Some gotchas I've noticed so far in building the kit:

- In the tutorial R1 and RSD are specified as 150R but the BOM specifies 160R

- RD1 obstructs the ground pin for GATE2 jack.

- The power header is keyed but there is no indication on the board how to orient it, so you have to figure it out from schematic. Also, since the power header's silkscreen is on the component side, you have to be careful about what side of the board to put it on (i.e. opposite from the silkscreen like the pic in the tutorial).

-- EDIT--

Oops that last one about the power header is wrong. Disregard that.

poladark
Wiggling with Experience

Post by poladark » Sun May 11, 2014 1:42 pm

So... any suggestions on which sketches to try? I feel a bit overwhelmed by the possibilities right now :hmm:

akrylik
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by akrylik » Sun May 11, 2014 8:56 pm

Can we have a picture of the front and back of a stuffed main board, or, have board side marked on the BOM? I want to make sure I'm putting each component on the right side.

akrylik
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by akrylik » Mon May 12, 2014 12:36 am

Also, the SD card assembly, please. I can't for the life of me see how to install it. It seems that the panel is too thick for an inserted uSD card to protrude?

Return to “nw2s”