nw2s::b - Arduino based algorithmic controller

Discussion, support, and resources for our noise making modules and kits.

Moderators: Kent, scottwilson

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:30 pm

Thanks, looking good! Glad we decided on a different typeface in the end.

Riggar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Riggar » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:18 pm

Just thinking about where to install it (ie which case) - do we know the current draw?

scottwilson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scottwilson » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:55 pm

I never worked out the exact current draw. Everything I'm using is specified by absolute maximums, so I'm basically down to just measuring its current draw running some sketch that uses all of the outputs, and then it would still only be a guess depending on the input impedance of whatever's hooked up to the 52 total outputs. Is there even a standard for this? Knowing what I know, I'm skeptical of most of the values I see...

The prototypes have all been running off of the stock power supply in my A-100P9.

It only needs +12 and -12. It doesn't need +5 as it's got its own regulator.

s

scottwilson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scottwilson » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:32 pm

Good night folks - thanks for all the orders. I'll get some ETAs to you in the next few days.

In the mean time, I leave you with a little bit o silliness - just driving BFD2 via an Alesis Trigger IO with the CV outputs of a newly clothed nw2s::b prototype.

http://nw2s.net/analog-modular-control-of-bfd/

Regards,

Scott

akrylik
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by akrylik » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:53 am

I'm really looking forward to this and thanks for the update mail a few days ago.

I'm getting one of the full kits and I would like to add MIDI I/O to mine. Do you have any suggestions before I start? Currently, I'm just thinking of creating a little board with an opto-isolator and wiring it to a spare UART on the nw2s (assuming there is one).

http://www.midi.org/techspecs/electrispec.php

scottwilson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scottwilson » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:03 am

Adding MIDI should be relatively simple.

There are three spare UARTs I've exposed on the PCB via empty pin headers. I'm not filling those in - I'll leave it to the end user as you don't want them hanging out unconnected, potentially shorting out on something.

You could use opto-isolators if you want, or, you could do like I did and use an LVC buffer instead. These buffers will take 5V logic and convert them to 3.3V. 74LVC541 are what I'm using, but in the opposite direction - to drive the digital outs.

Just make sure the logic levels going into the board are 3.3V and that the outputs are buffered from 3.3 up to 5.

If you need a 5V or 3.3V supply, those are available on a bus that goes from the mainboard to the panel board via 10 conductor ribbon cable. You could make a longer ribbon with a couple of headers attached to further distribute that power. The Ardiuno can supply up to 800mA on those two voltages, so as long as you're only taking a few mA to power a couple of logic chips, you'll be fine.

PCBs are shipping tomorrow!

I have 3 spare still if anyone's interested! http://nw2s.net/order

s

akrylik
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by akrylik » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:11 am

With respect to the 3 spare UARTs: Awesome! That is great to know.

With respect to the 74LVC541: If I don't use an opto-isolator then doesn't that mean that I will be connecting the GND of the external MIDI device with the GND of the my modular causing potentially all kinds of problems?

scottwilson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scottwilson » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:15 am

Ah - true. Been thinking within the context of modular connections.

akrylik
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by akrylik » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:27 am

Ok, glad my understanding is not completely off. The nw2s looks like it will be great little platform for developing a custom MIDI interface!

scottwilson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scottwilson » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:15 pm

PCBs are in! 100 of them. Assembly starts tomorrow.

I have three unspoken for still if anyone wants to make sure they get built!

http://nw2s.net/order/

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:18 pm

:nana: :nana: :nana:

scottwilson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scottwilson » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:38 pm

Another update! I have all the parts except for the switches. Since I got the PCBs, I've been assembling what I have available. Oof. That's a lot of soldering. Anyone looking for some part-time work?! :P

Regards,

Scott

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:50 pm

Have you a rough guesstimate of when you will require payment Scott? Just so I can make plans :tu:

VERY exciting! BTW - I owe you panels!

a scanner darkly

Post by a scanner darkly » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:01 pm

Exciting news! :party:

Scott - I don't think this was mentioned yet, do you know how deep the module will be?

scottwilson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scottwilson » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:43 pm

Yes, I do. I'll measure exactly... It's in the 40mm neighborhood.

a scanner darkly

Post by a scanner darkly » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:21 pm

Thanks Scott!

Hopefully it should fit in Cell 48 which is what I planned for it, maybe with some washers added (it's 36mm deep over the power board). Does it require 5v?

scottwilson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scottwilson » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:23 am

It does not require 5V... just +12/-12. It's possible to get it a little thinner, but may require changing out some of the board-to-board connectors (i.e. direct soldering instead of a modular interconnect). I'll be there in a few days, I think, so I'll be in touch with you to see if I need to make a customization.

Speaking of progress, I have the top-mounted components for the main board done. Bottom-mounted trimmers and the Arduino headers are all that's left before I can get these boards tuned up.

Still waiting on the switches, but will start the panel PCBs without them if I have to.

a scanner darkly

Post by a scanner darkly » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:13 pm

Thanks Scott! Exciting to be getting closer.

In regards of making it shallower - it's not a big deal really, I can just mount it with some washers if it comes to that.

thresholdpeople
Veteran Wiggler

Post by thresholdpeople » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:22 am

Wow. This is amazingly exciting! Just found out about this, and placed an order for a full kit -- I'm assuming there are still some available?

Can't wait to get my hands on this.. the potential is huge.

Scott - about extensibility of the module -- how crucial is it that it as an arduino due? Wondering about when newer, more powerful Arduinos come out, will they be somewhat swappable? Is there a potential of adding shields, or Xbees, or ... ?

2mb1o
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 2mb1o » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:32 pm

:party:

scottwilson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scottwilson » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:40 pm

Re extensibility:

Your question seems to be two different things... the first is whether or not you can use something other than a Due.

The problem with the Arduinos is that they do have a 'form factor' but that form factor is generally a least common denominator form factor (like the Uno)

This device pretty much maxes out the I/O of the Due. 12 analog inputs, 2 audio outputs, 16 digital outputs, analog DAC via SPI, LED Driver via I2C, etc.

So, if they come out with a new Due (if Atmel makes another SAM format chip), then yes, it will work. The Galileo and the Tre, while they are more powerful with raw clock speed, they don't have the IO capabilities of the Due.

The second question is how extensibile is the Due itself. I've exposed all of the unused pin on empty pin headers, so yes, there are some GPIO and UARTs available as well as the I2C bus. Instead of an XBee, I opted for a bluetooth module, so you will have wireless serial connectivity with a host computer.

Shields won't work cause they will block access to most of the other Due pins. Breakout boards will work if you make your own wiring harness.

Hope that helps.

s

thresholdpeople
Veteran Wiggler

Post by thresholdpeople » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:47 pm

Yes, sorry.. that lump of questions was actually a few separate questions!

About the second question -- so it'll be possible to wire up sensors and the like to the either the open pins on the back, or with an 1/8" connector into the front panel, yeah?

Yup... this is awesome! Very very awesome.

Thanks!

scottwilson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scottwilson » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:12 am

thresholdpeople wrote:so it'll be possible to wire up sensors and the like to the either the open pins on the back, or with an 1/8" connector into the front panel, yeah?
The front panel exposes -5V - +5V analog inputs and 0/5V digital inputs, so as long as your sensors operate in one of those two ranges, then yes... if you need to connect something that is I2C or UART-based, then you'll have to do that behind the panel with a little DIY.

I'll get a diagram up soon that shows the spare pins and where they are for those who will be curious about that.

s

charonme
Wiggling with Experience

Post by charonme » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:44 am

this is amazing! great work!

anyway, I can't find the bill of materials anywhere when ordering the pcb only. Also, where does the arduino go on the board?

Orson
Common Wiggler

Post by Orson » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:26 am

Wow, that seems powerful.
I'll keep an eye on how the project evolve for sure.

Great Work !

Return to “nw2s”