nw2s::io progress!

Discussion, support, and resources for our noise making modules and kits.

Moderators: Kent, scottwilson

scottwilson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scottwilson » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:49 am

I've been considering it. A few folks with bigger setups have also asked for it. I've started the design work, but the bigger issue will be getting enough of them built on my shoestring budget.

I'll keep folks in the loop! It's not impossible... just takes some time to get the funding worked out.

s

analogdigital
legendary hero wiggler

Post by analogdigital » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:37 am

Cheers, I will keep an eye out!

If buying the boards and faceplate from you but sourcing/populating the components myself saves/time money on your end let me know. I have no problem doing so.

Also, a design where the DB25 headers are via ribbons so that mounting on the faceplate or in a case only differs by buying one faceplate or another. Rather than having the DB25 solder point integrated into the first board.
That way people can go with a thinner faceplate if they want the DB25s mounted somewhere else.

scottwilson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scottwilson » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:35 am

I'm designing the 16-out such that it'd be buildable by human or machine. Right now the 8x8 has got some really tight tolerances and really small parts which are only manageable by machine. This would allow me to build a few for folks by hand to get started and then move to a full production line afterwards.

They are deceptively simple from the outside, but supporting 16 channels of (good sounding) balanced IO takes quite a bit under the hood. There are three PCBs underneath and they take up the full width of the module (schneidersladen has good pictures of it) so even if I didn't put the DB-25s on the panel, they wouldn't be able to be any narrower.

It'll come soon. Working through my pipeline as quickly as possible...

s

analogdigital
legendary hero wiggler

Post by analogdigital » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:23 pm

Got it, sounds good!

jmelland
Common Wiggler

Post by jmelland » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:23 pm

Hey Muffs! I have been fighting with this unbalanced version of this module, and I wonder if you might be able to help. I first tried to use regular DB25 cables to take the outputs into my audio accessories TT patchbay, and I wasn't getting a signal. So after a lot of chatting and research I tried having the cables modified to be TS on the modular side, and TRS (all dB25) at the patchbay. Now I get a signal, but it's still about -35 DB, which is half of what it should be. To make matters weirder... if I bypass the patchbay and go straight into the apogee symphony, I get perfect levels.

Has anyone else had trouble with using this and an Audio Accessories patchbay?

I also have read that you can use a jumper to bypass the 6db of gain reduction on the output side, but I can't find any documentation on where and how to do that.

The balanced version was not available, and also I just didn't think I'd have this much of a problem using it since the modular is unbalanced anyway.

Do I need the balanced version? 6db of gain reduction from the levels I'm at now would really suck which is what I've read you get with the balanced version.

But maybe it's just that this module does not get along with AA patchbays...

Thanks for your help. It feels a bit like the big ocean and I'm Nemo LOL.
my name should have been a secret code. But now you know it's me.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjbElS ... ui5AoCZAdg

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:43 pm

you should email scott at nw2s. he can sort you out

jmelland
Common Wiggler

Post by jmelland » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:45 pm

ignatius wrote:you should email scott at nw2s. he can sort you out
Got an email out to him... no reply yet. Just wanted to see if I could find a solution as my output stage has just kind of .... fizzled out :ripbanana:

jmelland
Common Wiggler

Post by jmelland » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:56 pm

no one else is using this module with a AA Patchbay? :nana: :nana:

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:06 pm

i have a balanced version hooked up to a patch bay. no problems in or out.

jmelland
Common Wiggler

Post by jmelland » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:22 am

ignatius wrote:i have a balanced version hooked up to a patch bay. no problems in or out.
OK, then I'm sure that's what it is. Unbalanced is not appropriate for my studio, as a patchbay, and output from DAW as click and inserts are what I need. Thanks for the feedback!

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:30 am

i have a passive Asys module.. 2 actually.. in a little box next to my system and i have that patched to a patch bay and never had any issue.. it's the Asys SR-270. it's just a bunch of adaptors w/asys panels basically.. and that's always been fine as well.

the balanced version of the nw2sio does level matching in and out.. so it brings thing up to modular levels on the way in and down to line level on the way out but sounds like there's something else going on w/yours.

jmelland
Common Wiggler

Post by jmelland » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:41 am

yeah, it could be, it's super weird how it reacts differently with different sources. But I was also doing some reading that was saying balanced patch bays can be really temperamental with unbalanced sources, and in some cases will simply not work with them. So, it could just be a case of that. The devices may just not be compatible. Hopefully that wont be the case with the balanced.

Thanks for the tip about the asys, I'll check that out now. I'm always looking for a way to improve the work flow.

Waz
Wiggling with Scurvy

Post by Waz » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:07 pm

Question about the balanced module;
Is there a resistor I can change on the inputs that would make the signal be at modular level again? Unfortunately, I am getting an insane noise floor with this module and my 18i20. My gain stage is literally nw2 ->18i20 line in with no gain. With the dB reduction from the nw2, I have to boost the signal in my audio interface and it's causing the noisefloor to raise. A sign wave from my DPO directly into the Nw2 module is measuring -23.5db in my DAW with no physical changes to the gain in the box or out. This doesn't seem right.

I might have to return this, but I thought I'd ask about a more DIY solution if it solves my problem. This is a dream module for me, but this issue is frustrating.

akrylik
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by akrylik » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:44 pm

Waz wrote:Question about the balanced module;
Is there a resistor I can change on the inputs that would make the signal be at modular level again? Unfortunately, I am getting an insane noise floor with this module and my 18i20. My gain stage is literally nw2 ->18i20 line in with no gain. With the dB reduction from the nw2, I have to boost the signal in my audio interface and it's causing the noisefloor to raise. A sign wave from my DPO directly into the Nw2 module is measuring -23.5db in my DAW with no physical changes to the gain in the box or out. This doesn't seem right.

I might have to return this, but I thought I'd ask about a more DIY solution if it solves my problem. This is a dream module for me, but this issue is frustrating.
That sounds like it is not getting enough power to me. The balanced version is quite a power hog at 150mA from both +12V and -12V. So I would double check that first.

Waz
Wiggling with Scurvy

Post by Waz » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:06 pm

I found out the connector lost one of its balance wires so I was losing a few db. With the same scenario, the sine wave hovers around -16 db in my DAW. No gain boosts, everything set to default. Does this sound normal? This is one mono track going into my computer directly fron the NW2S

I definitely don't have power issues. I'm rockin' 10amps through my rig. Only using about 60% of my case.

solipsvs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by solipsvs » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:13 am

have not hooked it up to my balanced 1/4" patchbay yet but all in good turn.

i have a few nice balanced items that would love to be put through a modular process i think.

Return to “nw2s”