nw2s::io progress!

Discussion, support, and resources for our noise making modules and kits.

Moderators: Kent, scottwilson

Chrysothemis
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Chrysothemis » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:40 pm

Just ordered the assembled unbalanced version. Exactly what I needed!

scottwilson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scottwilson » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:01 am

So where did the tradition of the stamped box begin? Here's a stack of boxes stamped and ready to be folded.

PCBs arrive today and will be headed out in kit and assembled forms within days. If you want one before the holidays, order now:

http://nw2s.net/product/nw2s-io/

seank
Veteran Wiggler

Post by seank » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:02 am

kick ass!

objectgroup
Learning to Wiggle

Post by objectgroup » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:27 pm

Just ordered balanced version. Excited to plug this thing directly into my patchbay and clean up my rack a little.

FWIW I try to keep all my non-modular interfacing on the back of my rack, where i have 84 hp dedicated to things like RCA outputs to spring tanks, trunk lines, power supply, etc. Would be rad to have a version of this module split into two parts (the mini jacks and the db25) connected by ribbon cable, making it possible to put the d-subs on the back of a rack and out of the working environment. My 2¢

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:22 pm

Check out this photo:

You could probably DIY your own front and back panels and split things up without too much trouble. You would need to make a longer ribbon cable too.

objectgroup
Learning to Wiggle

Post by objectgroup » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:03 pm

sempervirent wrote:You could probably DIY your own front and back panels and split things up without too much trouble. You would need to make a longer ribbon cable too.

True, Could simply mult the ribbon cables out to the rear. Looks like the top board is the same width as the panel, so it makes sense to keep the original front panel intact if not replacing with a narrower one. Thanks for the tip.

scottwilson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scottwilson » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:38 am

I could make a longer ribbon cable that includes two sets of DB25s and include a second panel? If you wanted to keep the appearance on the front while opening up the possibility of running cables out the rear? Certainly doable with just a little additional cost.

s

goiks
Hardest Tryer

Post by goiks » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:53 pm

scottwilson wrote:I could make a longer ribbon cable that includes two sets of DB25s and include a second panel? If you wanted to keep the appearance on the front while opening up the possibility of running cables out the rear? Certainly doable with just a little additional cost.
s
i'd prefer that if it's not too much. been teetering on which one to get for a week now.
www.goike.com

"There is no right answer. Just compromises." - Dave Jones
"Intelligence is generated by communities, by cooperation of some kind." - Brian Eno

seank
Veteran Wiggler

Post by seank » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:32 pm

hey scott, how much is the balanced upgrade?

scottwilson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scottwilson » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:58 pm

The balanced upgrade will be the difference in price between the two. Right now that's targeted to be $230

s

scottwilson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scottwilson » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:25 am

Big ol TLDR post about the progress of the balanced versions as well as some thoughts on integrating modular and studio gear. Browse through. And thanks for all the support!

http://nw2s.net/nw2sio-design-usage-and-update/

scottwilson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scottwilson » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:46 am

Oh, and the first video evidence of the 'io module is here... (though not concentrating on the io, just using it)

[video][/video]

CF3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CF3 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:48 pm

Awesome write up Scott. Thanks for the update. Will be well worth the wait with all the thought and effort you've put into this. :guinness:

_nathan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by _nathan » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:07 pm

Hi Scott,

When do you expect the assembled balanced versions of the ::io to be available?

(Very stoked about this module, I like mixing on my Venice and didn't relish buying 3 more individual stereo output modules.)

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:51 pm

_nathan wrote:(Very stoked about this module.......and didn't relish buying 3 more individual stereo output modules.)
I know the feeling! I have two, 4-channel input to stereo mixer modules and the balanced version of ::io is a game changer me. I can just wire it to my preamp/converter, record all the outputs and mix-in-the-box!!! Can't wait for this thing to come out!

gwpt
Common Wiggler

Post by gwpt » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:00 pm

Hi Scott,
not sure if the message are getting though on your site, so I thought I'd post again here:

I was just wondering, as I am not 100% sure if need the balanced.
if I were to buy the unbalanced could I buy the upgrade to balanced in the future if I need it?

Matos
Modular masturbator

Post by Matos » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:41 pm

Yes you can. I believed he mentioned you can upgrade for the cost of the price difference.

scottwilson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scottwilson » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:17 pm

Yes, messages are getting through, just a little behind on getting back to folk.

I'll offer upgrades for the price difference for as long as I can. I may not be able to do it forever, as I'll be limited in stock, but certainly for those who got in there early, they'll be able to upgrade as promised.

(also, fab is scheduled to be done next week and assembly will start immediately after!)

Regards,

Scott

visible cow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by visible cow » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:47 pm

Very much looking forward to getting the upgrade. I gigged with this on Monday and it greatly reduced my set-up hassle/terror. Will be great to run one long cable across the studio.

visible cow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by visible cow » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:50 pm

One thing I think you addressed in that blog entry but I don't completely understand (apologies) is just how much current this is going to consume.

scottwilson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scottwilson » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:25 pm

Great to hear it's working well for you.

So, the good news is that I managed to use both +12 and -12 supplies to power the on-board supply which decreases the current requirement by half (twice the voltage = half the current). I was worried with just the +12, it would have taken 300mA to power it, but with +12/-12, it uses +150mA/-150mA.

I had room and added MOTM and dotcom headers. They are untested, but it'll run on +/15V so no reason not to add them in case they're needed in the future.

s

visible cow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by visible cow » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:50 pm

Not bad at all, thanks!

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:42 pm

My pre-order for assembled balanced version is in (#1315)!!! Keep me posted!!!! This is definitely going to be an awesome needed module!!!

monads

suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Post by suboptimal » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:42 am

Installed this tonight. Looking forward to the streamlined signal flow.

I'm curious to know how people will use the 8 inputs. I ran out of ideas for things to do with them and ended up sending a few to my patch bay, and the rest to my audio interface outs. I feel like I must be missing an opportunity for a bit of a send/return type of arrangement.

My next debate will be whether this replaces the Intellijel Audio Interface completely, or if the Intellijel is still justified.

scottwilson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scottwilson » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:44 pm

I'll do some videos as soon as I get my head above water again. If you've got a patchbay, then you're set. The uses for the inputs that I can imagine are...

- Effects returns into your modular (use a rack reverb, delay, multiFX)
- Use your modular as a hardware insert to your DAW
- Send CV/Gate/Clock from DAW to modular
- Patch other synths/drum machines/samplers into the workflow

My primary use for the inputs would be as a hardware insert to the DAW, but I am primarily a mix/remix engineer and not a musician as such, so it's really going to depend on how you work and what it is that you do.

s

Return to “nw2s”