I'm pretty sure my IO is broken.

Discussion, support, and resources for our noise making modules and kits.

Moderators: Kent, scottwilson

Waz
Wiggling with Scurvy

I'm pretty sure my IO is broken.

Post by Waz » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:50 pm

This module is a dream module of mine, but I think I got a lemon. This coupled with the developer not answering emails has me really considering seeking a different solution.

-This thing gets crazy hot. I can feel the warmth on the front panel. I have a gap in my case. If I reach around to feel the bare pcb when I turn it off after being on for a while, the PCB is very hot to the touch. Almost unbearable.

-All of the LEDs are lit when it's on. When signal goes through, the LED gets brighter. They never turn off.

-Two of the four DB25 screws were cross threaded. Luckily I work in a field where I re-tap threads on a regular basis or I would have returned this immediately. It wasn't a big deal, but this shouldn't have passed QC. I didn't have the hex db25 standoffs on hand to replace the bad ones, so I had to use a professional tap.

-I'm not 100% certain if this is sending line signals to my modular. It seems very quiet. I made a bunch of measurements with my Fluke, but I got distracted by the heat issue. They seemed okayish, but I didn't go further with that. Maybe it's my 18i20 interface.

Does any of this sound not right? Should I return this to Perfect Circuit?
:help:

Waz
Wiggling with Scurvy

Post by Waz » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:34 pm

Looks like Scott hasn't been on here since December 7th. I'm just going to return this lemon and get a Snake Charmer. It's bummer... I wanted those outs along side the ins.

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:39 pm

Which IO do you have? Unbalanced or Balanced? I have the balanced version, the LEDs should definitely not be lit when not sending any signals unless you've connected something incorrectly?

Waz
Wiggling with Scurvy

Post by Waz » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:39 pm

Balanced. All of the power headers in my case are shrouded and keyed (built and tested by me). I only have one DB25 going to my 18i20. I removed the phantom switch from my 18i20 so I can never harm any of my modules. Even with the DB25 unplugged the lights are on.

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:27 pm

Yeah, sounds like something is wrong with the module then. Did it work this way immediately upon installing?

Waz
Wiggling with Scurvy

Post by Waz » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:29 pm

monads wrote:Yeah, sounds like something is wrong with the module then. Did it work this way immediately upon installing?
Yeah. that's why I've had it for a week now. Thought it was normal.

Waz
Wiggling with Scurvy

Post by Waz » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:46 pm

Shot in the dark here... I am curious if anyone would be willing to measure the noise floor across cold/hot on their IO with no signal going out. So with nothing plugged into the module besides the db25 out, measure one of the ends across tip/ring or pins 2 and 3 on an XLR.

I am getting -53dB across cold/hot and -57dB when referenced to ground. That is a bit high. The noisiest module in my case (Erbe Verb) measures in at -47dB when referenced to ground. I can usually hear the noise on that module when tracking. Also, my Plague bearer in noisy self oscillation measures in at -40ish dB.

I am in no way picking apart the IO. I just want to confirm if I should get a replacement. Maybe the issues I am experiencing are also causing my noise issues?

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:08 am

So what's the latest? Any resolution? I'm hoping you got sorted out.

Waz
Wiggling with Scurvy

Post by Waz » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:09 pm

I returned it. Perfect Circuit agreed that it was definitely broken. I still haven't heard from the manufacturer. I don't think I ever will... It's best to look elsewhere for this functionality.

Return to “nw2s”