µTune questions

Support and discussion of Tubbutec products.

Moderators: Kent, tubbutec

Post Reply
User avatar
cloudleft
Common Wiggler
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:59 am
Location: NYC

Post by cloudleft » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:30 am

Hi there, I've read the uTune manual (which I understand is a work in progress), and I have searched the forum for information on the extent of uTune's MIDI capabilities. I have a few outlying questions:

For MIDI-to-CV:

1) are any of uTune's CV OUTs "assignable" so they can accept a certain kind of modulation parameter/CC and convert it to CV? For example: there is a specific incoming control change message (let's say it's controller #27) that is changing in realtime, and then control change messages on 27 (and only #27) is converted to CV in realtime (almost like an LFO, or function).

2) If specific CC's are not assignable to certain CV out ports, is uTune's MIDI Routing such that, in a particular 2-voice mode – let's say "Cycle B" – the first received CC is 'automatically' sent to one CV out, and the second CC (if it is a different controller #) is sent to the other CV out?

3) If accepting realtime & changing CCs is possible, does uTune's MIDI to CV converter interpolate between the CC's 128 values for 'smooth' action?

For CV-to-MIDI:

4) Besides note ons/offs and note numbers, what other kind of information does uTune send out of its MIDI out port? For example: does uTune send pitch bend information for each individual note? Can it convert incoming, changing CV (like an envelope or LFO) into realtime, changing control change messages?

5) Is uTune set up to handle MIDI to CV and CV to MIDI simultaneously? That is, can it send and receive both MIDI and CV at the same time?

User avatar
tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 603
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:29 am
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Post by tubbutec » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:07 am

midi CCs are currently not supported by µTune, but will be in the future.
cloudleft wrote: 1) are any of uTune's CV OUTs "assignable" so they can accept a certain kind of modulation parameter/CC and convert it to CV? For example: there is a specific incoming control change message (let's say it's controller #27) that is changing in realtime, and then control change messages on 27 (and only #27) is converted to CV in realtime (almost like an LFO, or function).
Not yet, but the upcoming firmware will allow this. Currently you can 'only' assign: pitch, velocity (both attack and release) and aftertouch. More to come..
cloudleft wrote: 2) If specific CC's are not assignable to certain CV out ports, is uTune's MIDI Routing such that, in a particular 2-voice mode – let's say "Cycle B" – the first received CC is 'automatically' sent to one CV out, and the second CC (if it is a different controller #) is sent to the other CV out?
There likely will be freely assignable CCs
cloudleft wrote: 3) If accepting realtime & changing CCs is possible, does uTune's MIDI to CV converter interpolate between the CC's 128 values for 'smooth' action?
Don't know yet. Would you like that or not? ;)
cloudleft wrote: For CV-to-MIDI:
4) Besides note ons/offs and note numbers, what other kind of information does uTune send out of its MIDI out port? For example: does uTune send pitch bend information for each individual note? Can it convert incoming, changing CV (like an envelope or LFO) into realtime, changing control change messages?
µTune will always quantize the incoming voltage. You can define the quantizing step size (via notes/v), but it will always be quantized and then sent to the scale mapper. µTune then outputs note information as note + pitch bend. In the upcoming firmware it will also be able to output pitch as sysex tunting commands.
It does not output CC
cloudleft wrote: 5) Is uTune set up to handle MIDI to CV and CV to MIDI simultaneously? That is, can it send and receive both MIDI and CV at the same time?
Yes of course. The midi router allows for all kinds of combinations.

User avatar
cloudleft
Common Wiggler
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:59 am
Location: NYC

Post by cloudleft » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:12 am

tubbutec wrote:Not yet, but the upcoming firmware will allow this. Currently you can 'only' assign: pitch, velocity (both attack and release) and aftertouch. More to come
Amazing. I imagine that having assignable CCs (and CC support in general) would make µTune even more powerful than it already is. Cool to hear it's in the works. Do you have a sense of when the new firmware will be ready? No worries if you can't say for sure yet.
tubbutec wrote:Don't know yet. Would you like that or not?
Well, maybe that could be cool way to get LFOs/functions out of CC, though I'm not familiar with the implementation challenges of that.
tubbutec wrote:µTune will always quantize the incoming voltage. You can define the quantizing step size (via notes/v), but it will always be quantized and then sent to the scale mapper. µTune then outputs note information as note + pitch bend. In the upcoming firmware it will also be able to output pitch as sysex tunting commands.
It does not output CC
Cool! Does µTune send full resolution (128^2) pitch bend messages?

User avatar
tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 603
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:29 am
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Post by tubbutec » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:37 pm

I can not tell you a release date yet.
Cool! Does µTune send full resolution (128^2) pitch bend messages?
yes

User avatar
wxyz
Common Wiggler
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:34 am

Post by wxyz » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:47 pm

Is there more information on the defaul scales? Love this module.

OOps...found it.
Any info on the Phineas Head Scale Pack

User avatar
10 Miles High
Common Wiggler
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:05 am
Location: Moscow

Post by 10 Miles High » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:22 am

wzyx,

where did you find that info? I mean, besides the 2 lines showing on the display?

Also, I can not find all the "normal" scales, like lydian, dorian, melodic minor, blues, etc.

Where are they ??


10 Mh

User avatar
tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 603
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:29 am
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Post by tubbutec » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:52 am

https://tubbutec.de/scale-packs/

"normal scales": They are not included in any scale as far as I know. You can easily create them yourself by deactivating notes on 12TET. (And then save them of course)

Post Reply

Return to “Tubbutec”