Favorite looper pedals?

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Favorite looper pedals?

Post by slumberjack » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:16 pm

waiting for cooper fx 'outward mk2' to arrive. now with midi in. if i come to use as a looper i will report.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:32 am

Just scored an EH 720 to go with the EH 2880 w/ footswitch and Nano 360.
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

Slothrop
Common Wiggler

Post by Slothrop » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:36 pm

So...

I'm having another quick scan of "weird loopers" to expand up my tabletop pedal-based ambient / noise operations.

It seems like there's a bit of a divide between awe-inspiring creative sound-manglers with awe-inspiring price tags (Blooper, Pigtronix, CT5, Mood, Timefactor, Tensor) and cheapo record-and-play things for practicing your pentatonic blues licks (Ditto, Hotone Wally etc), and stuff that does aim for the middle market does it by adding extra loops or more recording time rather than weird features.

Apart from the Vox that's mentioned upthread, is there anything else with a few of the creative pitching and chopping features in a smallish form-factor at a middling price point? Or should I just accept that I'm blatantly going to spaff the cash on a Blooper when they hit a general release?

Cheers!

gaslampmusehog
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gaslampmusehog » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:56 pm

I run 2 electrix repeaters through an audio mixers bus system and then all 8 outs to individual channels of same audio mixer. I’ve used many different looper pedals/racks, and for me, nothing comes close to my current setup.
(Photo from 2008)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rklem
Common Wiggler

Post by rklem » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:55 pm

Any opinions on Keeley ECCOS?

Slothrop
Common Wiggler

Post by Slothrop » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:56 am

So as I read it, this is basically a nice vintage-sounding delay plus something like a Ditto X2 linked in series in the same box? You can have a delayed sound and capture it in a loop, then adjust the delay and overdub the loop with your new sound as much as you like, but the two parts are otherwise independent?

Slothrop
Common Wiggler

Post by Slothrop » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:19 am

Also, this isn't really about the Keeley thing, but I get a bit annoyed when pedal companies make a "digital delay and looper" pedal, and say "okay, so in the delay modes, this button controls tap tempo and this button maxes out the delay for infinite repeats. The knobs control feedback, delay time, modulation depth, modulation rate and repeat tone. Depending on which of the seven delay modes you're in, changing the delay time either shifts the pitch or causes glitchy jumps, and in mode 6 the delay buffer is reversed. In looper mode, this button stops and starts recording, this button clears the buffer, and none of the knobs do anything. HAND."

smetak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by smetak » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:27 pm

I caught a demo on youtube - ordered one to try out. I wonder how it compares to the SOS mode on the El Cap.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:15 am

That promo sounded amazing, but it was just on guitar. I think I could squeeze this between my other 4 loopers and 4 tape echo-ish emulators (EH 2880, EH 360, EH720 & TC Wiretap/ RE-20, Hotone EKO, Digitech Digidelay & Catalinbread Echorec.

For $ 239.00 how could I not buy it. I'm illin'.
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

Jd1979
Common Wiggler

Post by Jd1979 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:06 pm

Mine has and always will be the rc300. Such a dynamic and wonderful looper. Gives me all of the options and features needed to add to my mix, plus can be synced via midi

Boodaleechees
is banned
is banned

Post by Boodaleechees » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:56 pm

Blooper, but my only points of comparison are various Ditto iterations.

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:52 am

This thread & the changing times made me look yesterday for an Electrix Repeater - found one for reasonable price to be delivered Monday - looking forward to it!

syncretism
Morbidly self-aware and liking it

Post by syncretism » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:29 am

There’s a lot to like about the Pigtronix Infinity, but I find its operation fiddly, and after deleting a loop when I was trying to save it one too many times, I boxed it up. I just acquired a Boomerang III, and I liked it plenty for the few minutes I’ve had to spend with it. I want that damned sidecar.

But mostly I wanted to share a couple interesting new pedals I found in my research. Neither is exactly what I want (independent loop lengths are desirable for me), but they both look very clever for different reasons:

http://www.backline-eng.com/riffbox.html

This has I guess a comparator or Schmitt trigger that automatically starts recording for you.

And here’s the new looper from the Beat Buddy guys, and I’m really impressed by what I see:

https://singularsound.com/product/aeros-loop-studio/

Edit: oh, the Aeros does support “freeform” loops. I’m in trouble.
Last edited by syncretism on Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

smetak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by smetak » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:31 am

syncretism wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:29 am

And here’s the new looper from the Beat Buddy guys, and I’m really impressed by what I see:

https://singularsound.com/product/aeros-loop-studio/
I spotted the Aeros Looper a while ago and even created a thread here on the Guitar Section (which has since sunk into obscurity....) - yep, this also caught my eye - like a hyper-Boomerang Looper - very impressive, especially because you can not only track your loops independently, but also see exactly where you are at in time - better, only if you drag on a laptop with ableton live. On my list, hopefully, one of fine day.....

gaslampmusehog
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gaslampmusehog » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:06 pm

Tom, were you able to sort out the knob issue you were having with the repeater? How are you getting along with it?

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:50 pm

Turns out the PDF instructions I found were out-of-date, giving me a wrong understanding of the expected encoder behaviour! Manual suggested the Tempo dial should go fast with fast turns - but in actual fact you use the Loop encoder for coarse control!
It's nice and straight forward so far - want to instal the 2.1 software once I can get into the workshop & find a card-reader..

L13
Common Wiggler

Post by L13 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:43 pm

BugBrand wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:52 am
This thread & the changing times made me look yesterday for an Electrix Repeater - found one for reasonable price to be delivered Monday - looking forward to it!
always wanted one of these
please post results!

i am slumming with my BOSS loop station which ain't so bad for those days i want to be david torn and or fripp
my fractal does some ok loopage too

AbundantChoice
Common Wiggler

Post by AbundantChoice » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:46 pm

Boodaleechees wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:56 pm
Blooper, but my only points of comparison are various Ditto iterations.
I'm liking my Blooper, but I always have to remember to heavily *attenuate* any signal that goes into it. I'm using the Boredbrain INTRFX to drop my modular signal down to pedal levels, and it works like a *charm* for all my other pedals but Blooper is like "no, you must go lower. LOWER." And when Blooper isn't happy, (a) the Dry Kill doesn't actually fully kill the signal, but more importantly (b) it clips. And the clipping is a horrendous digital crackle nightmare sound from which there is no escape. And since it's a looper, even if you're below Unity gain, you're still going to be piling stuff on top of each other, and then you activate the filter, and hit a resonance reinforcing zone, and DIGITAL NIGHTMARE CRACKLE TIME! If you don't attenuate pretty heavily, the clipping is there, and it's waiting for you. You never know exactly when it's coming... but it's going to come.

But when the Blooper is working properly, it's pretty great. Being able to go back-n-forth from Normal (effects "after" the loop) and Additive (effects get added "into" the loop) is great. Being able to go "backwards" 8 layers if you bork something up or want to move back in time is great. The effects that it comes with are great (smooth and stepped pitch/time shifting, chaotic or rhytmic drop-outs, filter, a glitch/re-arranger, and a "trim from front or back") and feel like they "make sense" if you conceptualize Blooper as a weirdo tape looping machine. The stability knob is a nice one-way ticket to tape degradation and lo-fi land. I like the onboard loop saving memory and it's all easy to use. It may not be doing hyper-bonkers granular stuff or whatever, but that's what my DAW is for.

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”