uTune doesn't output Pitch.

Support and discussion of Tubbutec products.

Moderators: Kent, tubbutec

adnauseam
Veteran Wiggler

uTune doesn't output Pitch.

Post by adnauseam » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:15 am

Hi.

I'm having a problem with my uTune. FW 1.98 HW 17
It has stopped outputting Pitch. I can see the input changing, I can see it receiving gates/triggers on the Gate Input (the arrows flash on the UI) however the pitch is static.

I cannot run ADC Cal because it gives me an error each time:

(paraphrased)
"Please connect CV1 Input to CV 1 Output, Please connect CV 2 Input to CV 2 Output".

There are cables connected as instructed but the error message still appear and the ADC Cal routine quits.

What should I do next? Thanks.

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Re: uTune doesn't output Pitch.

Post by tubbutec » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:17 am

Hi,
If you see the input changing, you probably do not need to re-calibrate it. The reason why it gives you that error message is clearly because the outputs are not working.

I suspect there is some problem with HW17 and the new firmware.

Please do the following:
- Reset the settings to default.
If that does not help:
- Go to expert settings -> DAC/ADC calibration and post the first 4 numbers here
- Go back to firmware 1.05, definitely reset the settings
- CV out working again?

thank you very much

update:

I was able to re-create the fact that with 1.98 the ADC CAl routine for HW 17 does not work. This will of course be fixed. Going back to 1.05,. performing the input cal and then go to 1.98 however works and the calibration is used correctly.
I was not able to re-create your CV-out problem however. Looking forward to your findings.

adnauseam
Veteran Wiggler

Post by adnauseam » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:45 pm

Hi there,

I checked my ADC values in 1.98, reverted to 1.05, calibrated successfully, and the ADC values are the same.

I did successfully update back to 1.98 and after some fiddling the module is working as expected.

The 0V were around ~2000 for both ch and 10V values around 16300. As I said, the values didn't change after successfully calibrating.

When I first got back into 1.98 the CV outs were still stuck at 0V even with visible gates. I did "reset to defaults" and resetted the module and it appears fine. I had this very same issue with this unit months ago (in the fall of 2019) and it was unrelated to firmware but calibrating did "something"then as well.

As a side note I would suggest creating either a notification or a confirmation (yes/no) menu for "reset to defaults" as choosing this option, to the user, doesn't appear to do anything.

If you want me to share my exact ADC values with you I can. Admitted, I wrote it all out in a post and it failed to post so here I am again with a similar summary to share.

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tubbutec » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:23 am

Hi There,

Happy you got it working again,
a bit confused about which calibration you actually did.

The DAC/ADC calibration in expert settings should be fine and not changed. These are calibrated in factory.

For HW17 only there is a special case. Here the ADC calibration in the above menu is meaningless and does not work. Instead you can auto-calibrate you ADC using the ADC auto calibration menu.
The 0V were around ~2000 for both ch and 10V values around 16300. As I said, the values didn't change after successfully calibrating.
That sounds correct, best to not change these. These are DAC (not ADC) calibration values.
As a side note I would suggest creating either a notification or a confirmation (yes/no) menu for "reset to defaults" as choosing this option, to the user, doesn't appear to do anything.
Thanks for the suggestion!

For all others

Looks like you can safely go from 1.05 to 1.98 or above.

Return to “Tubbutec”