uTune autotune issue

Support and discussion of Tubbutec products.

Moderators: Kent, tubbutec

Eléndithàs
Learning to Wiggle

uTune autotune issue

Post by Eléndithàs » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:16 am

Hello everybody!

I'm having some problems with uTune's autotune function and I'm struggling to find a solution.

Here is my setup:

HW: 17
Firmware: 2.03
1 dual expader added and 3 VCOs used (using first 3 channels)

All 3 uTune CV in plugged and set to Glide speed
All 3 uTune Gate in plugged and set to Gate
3 CV out sent to VCOs 1v/oct input
3 Gate out sent to 3 different ADSR env generators

All 3 VCOs have been calibrated

Before turning autotune on, I always set VCOs tuning to bring the pitch reading as close as possible to 0, both using tune knobs or changing autotune ref note, and autotune speed to 1.00.

After that, I turn autotune on and what I obtain is a drone pitch, or a completely unstable pitch (something similar to a sample and hold effect)

Is someone having the same issue or has any idea about how to solve this situation?

flowingedge
1-Post Wiggler

Re: uTune autotune issue

Post by flowingedge » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:11 pm

Same ..
If I autotune 1 channel it works.
If I autotune more than 1, they leap around wildly.

It is reading the inputs for them wrong I think. :(

It makes uTune nearly unusable for my purposes. And I invested in 3x expanders before realizing. Ugh.

Perhaps Tubbutec will help here?
Or perhaps we should write them?

egilegilegil
Common Wiggler

Post by egilegilegil » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:12 pm

I have the same issue, even with one channel it does'nt work properly but it gets worse the more channels I add.

Eléndithàs
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Eléndithàs » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:11 am

I wrote them some days ago but they told me they are moving to a new location right now so they're going to answer me as soon as possible

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tubbutec » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:43 am

Hi,
thank you all for reporting this. We will of course look into this issue and offer a firmware update with bugfix.
as Eléndithàs has mentioned we just moved to a new location and are still setting up everything again for work.
Will post the fix here.

egilegilegil
Common Wiggler

Post by egilegilegil » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:54 pm

tubbutec wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:43 am
Hi,
thank you all for reporting this. We will of course look into this issue and offer a firmware update with bugfix.
as Eléndithàs has mentioned we just moved to a new location and are still setting up everything again for work.
Will post the fix here.
Excellent, thanks! Best of luck with your new location, cheers!

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tubbutec » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:29 am

Only had time to very quickly test this fix, but works MUCH better for me now:
https://tubbutec.de/%c2%b5tune-updates/
Firmware version 2.04

might be still room for improvement, more to come if needed.

egilegilegil
Common Wiggler

Post by egilegilegil » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:58 am

Great! I’ll try it and report back how it’s working for me. Many thanks for your ongoing support and improvements to this module, I love it allready as it is and it’s just getting better!

Eléndithàs
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Eléndithàs » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:20 am

Same for me! I'll try it as soon as possible and I'll report here!! thanks for your work!!

Eléndithàs
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Eléndithàs » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:03 am

Just made a very quick try: it seems to work way better now, thank you so much.

I only have a curiosity about the autotune, since I couldn't test all the features yet: is it possible to set, at the same time, different ref notes or different ref pitches for the three oscillators?

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tubbutec » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:50 am

No , ref Pitch and ref note are global settings. They are only related to the scale you are using, making them per-oscillator would not be sensible.
A parameter that could in theory be set per oscillator is the middle voltage. This would basically give You the ability to offset the output voltage.
A much better approach though is to use the vco's tune pots to put them all to roughly the same pitch (when they have the same input cv)

egilegilegil
Common Wiggler

Post by egilegilegil » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:36 pm

I am also happy to report back it works a lot better now! Thanks a lot!
tubbutec wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:50 am
No , ref Pitch and ref note are global settings. They are only related to the scale you are using, making them per-oscillator would not be sensible.
A parameter that could in theory be set per oscillator is the middle voltage. This would basically give You the ability to offset the output voltage.
A much better approach though is to use the vco's tune pots to put them all to roughly the same pitch (when they have the same input cv)
An offset parameter for each VCO could be very practical for some applications. For instance you could set all your VCOs to their minimal value and regardless of their model get to roughly where you should be before engaging the autotune feature.

egilegilegil
Common Wiggler

Post by egilegilegil » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:17 pm

Regarding the autotune feature I've noticed now with the new version that it seems to be at minimum a 0.2s delay in tuning even with the speed at 1.00 setting. Is it possible with an option for it to tune faster like on the previous firmware?

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tubbutec » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:23 am

Thanks for the feedback and thanks for even measuring the delay!
The old version should have had this too, at least when tuning one oscillator only, I will check if there is more delay added somehow.
Here is some technical background:
uTune accumulates pitch measurement from the last 100ms and uses this as base for tuning. So the tuning frequency or delay is 100ms in normal circumstances. We do this to get an accurate pitch reading.
If you change the note however we add an additional dead time of 100ms. This is because otherwise the measured pitch is some in-between value and tuning would not work properly.

Generally I recommend a slow Autotuning setting and a well calibrated VCO. Just relying on autotune can get interesting results but will lead to sudden jumps in pitch.

Eléndithàs
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Eléndithàs » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:32 am

I have just another question, although it's not really about autotune.

uTune produces gate signals every time I press a key, regardless if I play staccato or legato. Is it possible in the future to have the possibility to switch between this behaviour and the typical behaviour of many adsr generators where the gate signal is generated every time only if I play staccato and just once if I play legato?

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tubbutec » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:22 am

Yes. There will be a menu to select between retriggered mono mode, legato mode and auto glide.

Eléndithàs
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Eléndithàs » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:03 am

Great news!! thanks a lot!!

SlyFrank
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SlyFrank » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:22 pm

Hi - I am loving uTune so much I just today ordered another 2 expanders so I will have the maximum of 3 expanders. imo this is the best quantizer in Eurorack. 8-)

My question is: Will it be possible in a future firmware update to be able to assign a different mask to different channels? Not different scales, the same scale, but different masks per channel.

I think I remember reading that this might be forthcoming, but just wanted to check. This would be a great update.

Cheers!

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tubbutec » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:59 am

Yes, multiple scale masks are on the todo list. No idea when they will be implemented though..

Return to “Tubbutec”