Inaugural post- MFOS subforum- tell your MFOS story!

Discussion & Documentation for Ray Wilson's synths, modules and noise boxes.

Moderators: Kent, dslocum, synthcube

JCHaywire
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JCHaywire » Mon May 21, 2018 8:38 am

rico loverde wrote:My first venture into DIY was MFOS. I built a Soundlab. It was a mess and didn't work at first. When I finished it it was only partly working. I was tired and frustrated so I opened the door to throw it out into the street. My wife said quit being such a baby and just put it away till tomorrow. An hour or so later I decided to give it a once over after calming down and found one wire I missed. It worked instantly after that and I was hooked. Built a ton more MFOS stuff over the years and Ray helped me many times via email and even by phone once. Its crazy that it all eventually led to my current job at Malekko/Darkplace building modules and running the pick n place machines.
That's a really inspiring story. I find myself in the same position. One time I found a trace that had a hairline crack. I'm a radio amateur, kind of disillusioned with that hobby--so DIY synth is the perfect transition for me. I have tons of electronic detritus ferreted away in my basement. This allows me to keep in electronics with something my kids can enjoy.

JCHaywire
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JCHaywire » Mon May 21, 2018 8:43 am

Borellus wrote:
synthcube wrote:that is awesome!!
can you say more about the case and the fantastic panel graphics?
I did the graphics in Pixelmator. First, I printed a simple template to mark where the holes needed to be drilled. Then I created the full graphics version, which I printed out on Canon photo paper, applied about ten coats of Rustoleum Ultra Cover 2x to it for protection, and then affixed it to the panel with 3M Super 77 adhesive.
I had an anaphylactic reaction to that same adhesive when gluing corkboard to music stands for an orchestra performance--we were deadening reflections from the surfaces for a recording. I drove myself to the ER and got a shot of epinephrine. Scary there for a moment, though.

This design is so cool, and the description's specifics are what a forum like this is good for. Thank you.

MartianModular
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MartianModular » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:11 pm

Ray was a brilliant and generous gentleman, and I still miss our interesting email conversations.

MartianModular
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MartianModular » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:07 pm

About 60% of my rig is MFOS. Great sounding, reliable, and versatile.

j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:29 am

MartianModular wrote:About 60% of my rig is MFOS. Great sounding, reliable, and versatile.
Ok. That is an epic MFOS.
Autistic. I like making noises at my workplace. I usually end up breaking something.

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:50 pm

epic indeed!
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/2SynthCube

synthcube webstore www.synthcube.com/cart
music from outer space: www.musicfromouterspace.com
blacet research: www.blacet.com
MOTM DIY Analog Synthesizers: www.motmsynthesizers.com
music from outer space euro smt: www.mfoseuro.com

willbloke
Learning to Wiggle

Post by willbloke » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:52 pm

Hello Newb here , just in the process of finishing a WSG , will post some pics up this week !
Smoke everywhere can't be good , can it ?

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:36 am

excellent-- look forward to seeing it!
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/2SynthCube

synthcube webstore www.synthcube.com/cart
music from outer space: www.musicfromouterspace.com
blacet research: www.blacet.com
MOTM DIY Analog Synthesizers: www.motmsynthesizers.com
music from outer space euro smt: www.mfoseuro.com

Audient
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Audient » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:59 pm

I recently found a PCB for the Soundlab Mini synth complete with MFOS pen and note from Ray that I had bought some years back. I had heard of his passing as I was an acquaintance of his on facebook, very sad to hear of his passing, thoroughly enjoyed his posts and general outlook on life.

I did check recently after finding my PCB (one of many projects I haven't started!) and decided to have a look to see if anyone was carrying on Ray's MFOS website and store but couldn't see anything on the site. So, what a surprise it was to join up here today and find out that it is being carried on! :) Thank you very much :sb:

I do remember I wanted to make quite a few things from there so I may well have some orders for you soon since my job is now one that requires me to make noises and build things.

What is the ordering process, do I just go through the MFOS site as usual or do I do it from here?

Cheers

JCHaywire
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JCHaywire » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:30 pm

I just received several MFOS boards from Synthcube. Yeah, the stuff's still very active and orders are being filled.
If you can't do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

Bodo1967
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:49 am

Audient wrote:I recently found a PCB for the Soundlab Mini synth
I have a recommendation for you :D:

Get the S&H module PCB and turn the Soundlab Mini into a Soundlab Mini Plus. It's worth it, the S&H is a great addition.

That was the first synth I ever DIYed. It's a wonderful instrument which I truly love. There are a few pictures of it at the beginning of this very thread.
Audient wrote:What is the ordering process, do I just go through the MFOS site as usual or do I do it from here?
Well, synthcube can of course speak for themselves, but since I am here right now anyway... :

The order site on MFOS redirects you to synthcube, or you can order directly from synthcube.com. I have made excellent experience with them on several occasions, and my parcels need to go over the big pool since I live in Germany.
... why buy it for $100 when you can build it yourself for $150?

Audient
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Audient » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:46 am

Excuse my clumsy forum skills when replying, it's been a while since I used a forum, all the ones I used to frequent have gone :(

I was actually considering the MKII but if the only difference is the S&H module then that's what I will do. The sound of those things are immense, they really have that 70's, 60's even slightly wonky sound that I love, kind of remind me of Ramond Scott sometimes.

As for ordering, I did actually find the Synthcube website after a bit of looking around here, nice one for carrying the baton :yay:

You will certainly be seeing me around here more often these days anyway.

Thanks guys

Bodo1967 wrote:
Audient wrote:I recently found a PCB for the Soundlab Mini synth
I have a recommendation for you :D:

Get the S&H module PCB and turn the Soundlab Mini into a Soundlab Mini Plus. It's worth it, the S&H is a great addition.

That was the first synth I ever DIYed. It's a wonderful instrument which I truly love. There are a few pictures of it at the beginning of this very thread.
Audient wrote:What is the ordering process, do I just go through the MFOS site as usual or do I do it from here?
Well, synthcube can of course speak for themselves, but since I am here right now anyway... :

The order site on MFOS redirects you to synthcube, or you can order directly from synthcube.com. I have made excellent experience with them on several occasions, and my parcels need to go over the big pool since I live in Germany.

Bodo1967
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:57 am

Audient wrote:I was actually considering the MKII but if the only difference is the S&H module then that's what I will do.
The "original" Soundlab Mini and the MKII are a bit different, and the MKII already has an S&H included on the PCB. I may have been mistaken by you writing you had a SL Mini PCB; I simply assumed it was the "original" (or MKI, if you wish) version :D.

The MKII is somewhat inbetween the MKI and the Ultimate (which is an amazing synth as well; have a look at the corresponding build thread ;)).
Audient wrote:The sound of those things are immense
Absolutely :D. I tend to think of my SL Mini as one big sweet spot :D.
... why buy it for $100 when you can build it yourself for $150?

unauthorised-service
Learning to Wiggle

Post by unauthorised-service » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:12 am

Came across the wp20 as my first "synth" . Builds so far , WSG , echo rockit, SL mini mk2 . Havent had to calibrate since first procedure. No major probs with any builds. Quality pcbs with resistors soldered on large pads from the top yay.
Been using schematics for stripboard modules recently. Fantastic resource and generous guy. Helped me realise a dream I guess.Image

Return to “Music From Outer Space”