My MFOS modular expansion box project (work in progress)

Discussion & Documentation for Ray Wilson's synths, modules and noise boxes.

Moderators: Kent, dslocum, synthcube

Bodo1967
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:01 pm

johnstilton wrote:not yet. maybe it got held up in customs. this happens sometimes (esp. with merch from England for some reason).
It does happen over here as well - the Synthcube shipment from this summer took almost 2 weeks to get through German customs in Frankfurt :roll: , and the Elby shipment with the CGS PCBs also took several (as in: more than six) weeks to get to me :confused: .
... why buy it for $100 when you can build it yourself for $150?

Bodo1967
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:38 am

Finished the MFOS VC-LFOs (I built two of them and put them behind one panel):

The YuSynth ADSRs (also two of them behind one panel) are also finished, and so is the MFOS 8 Stage Phaser.

Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures before placing them in the cabinet, and now I'm too lazy to get them out again ;).

There is actually some progress with the MFOS Wave Freaker:

"Part 2" of the circuit (i.e. the stuff on the second schematic - step wave, pulse wave and the sub oscillators) are now working.

However, what I get out of the analog switch (CD4066; U5 in the circuit) is weird. Looks to me like some bleedthrough (or whatever) from the comparators it is fed with:

The triangle bits are actually folded - but there's some square wave bits between them that don't belong there :despair: .

The signals at the inputs of the CD4066 look alright (clean triangle waves), but all the outputs look like the picture (and so does the output of U 6 (point "CC"). I ordered a few new CD4066 today since and see if replacing the chip leads to any improvement.

I'm nevertheless grateful for any ideas concerning this matter.

Bodo1967
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:17 am

Bodo1967 wrote:
johnstilton wrote:Did you buy the transistor or the diode suprladder PCB from Oakley?
The transistor ladder filter. Needs troubleshooting though
[x] Done. It was a missing connection beteween the two center pads (ground) in the Dotcom style connection field (I didn't use connectors but hardwired it in the same way as with the other modules in this thread).

And another module is on the way :party: : I ordered the Frequency Central "Klang Stadt"* wavetable oscillator on the weekend.

* German speakers would write "Klangstadt" (in one word) though ;); this translates to "sound city".

Bodo1967
Veteran Wiggler

Re: My MFOS modular expansion box project (work in progress)

Post by Bodo1967 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:18 am

Frequency Central Klang Stadt and Dual 3 in 1 Audio Mixer are completed. The "Bouncing Ball" module is in its troubleshooting phase (there is an issue with two IC pins being accidentally swapped by the developer - result: 1 fried resistor and LM339 each ;)) and will hopefully be completed by the end of the week.

Most of the CGS modules are finished except for a couple of parts I'm still waiting for. Once these arrive, getting them ready to test (and troubleshoot if required) shouldn't take too much time.

Bodo1967
Veteran Wiggler

Re: My MFOS modular expansion box project (work in progress)

Post by Bodo1967 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:53 am

Bodo1967 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:18 am
The "Bouncing Ball" module is in its troubleshooting phase (there is an issue with two IC pins being accidentally swapped by the developer - result: 1 fried resistor and LM339 each ;)) and will hopefully be completed by the end of the week.
One of the circuits (it's actually an AR generator that can either be used with external trigger, or as an LFO-like cycling AR envelope - you combine two of them in different modes to get the "bouncing ball" effect) is up and running, and the other one is finished except for a CD4053 which I ran out of stock, and which is on its way.
Bodo1967 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:18 am
Most of the CGS modules are finished except for a couple of parts I'm still waiting for. Once these arrive, getting them ready to test (and troubleshoot if required) shouldn't take too much time.
Finished the "Modulo Magic" on the weekend; the Bin-N-Tic will probably be up next :D.

Return to “Music From Outer Space”