ATN8 hot as balls

Support and discussion for Antumbra modules and DIY builds

Moderators: Kent, antumbra

rithma
Common Wiggler

ATN8 hot as balls

Post by rithma » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:55 am

Does the ATN8 normally produce a lot of heat? Mine is mostly working (one channel is distorted) but this little thing gets HOT HOT HOT. I noticed it does pull a lot of power, so maybe normal for that many op amps to heat up.

Anybody else notice this?
:deadbanana: :cloud:

toneburst
Ultra Wiggler

Post by toneburst » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:19 am

Haven't built mine yet, so can't confirm it runs hot, too, but sounds to me like yours might have a short somewhere.

itchaboo
1-Post Wiggler

Post by itchaboo » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:48 am

I finished mine this weekend, it is a presoldered smd kit by pusherman.
I have an issue with channel number 3 that I'm trying to troubleshoot. It does not distort but the output voltage only goes up to +8.8v, but down to -10v as expected. Also the led on channel 3 flips from green to bright red once I go past 1.1v output voltage but it goes from brigt red to dark (-10v to 0v) just fine.
It gets fairly warm, I measured ~50°C for each of the ICs (came with LME49743) which should be fine.

toneburst
Ultra Wiggler

Post by toneburst » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:22 pm

I’ve build one of my pair of ANT8s, and mine does get pretty hot, too.
It appears to be working ok, so I guess this is expected behaviour.

I’m using the standard TL072 op-amps.

toneburst
Ultra Wiggler

Post by toneburst » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:27 am

itchaboo wrote:I finished mine this weekend, it is a presoldered smd kit by pusherman.
I have an issue with channel number 3 that I'm trying to troubleshoot. It does not distort but the output voltage only goes up to +8.8v, but down to -10v as expected. Also the led on channel 3 flips from green to bright red once I go past 1.1v output voltage but it goes from brigt red to dark (-10v to 0v) just fine.
It gets fairly warm, I measured ~50°C for each of the ICs (came with LME49743) which should be fine.
I'd double-check resistor values for that channel. It sounds like you have a voltage offset.

Return to “Antumbra”