Fade 1.4 couple of questions

Support and discussion for Antumbra modules and DIY builds

Moderators: Kent, antumbra

sqwibz
1-Post Wiggler

Fade 1.4 couple of questions

Post by sqwibz » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:41 am

I'd like to try my hand at building some of these modules. Sounds like a lot of fun.

I have a couple of questions though.

First off, my plan is to build 4 faders to make a mini mixer for my eurorack. I want to run my source audio
into the Fade's input and run the output into a mixer, like the Unity, from 2hp .Do that 4 times.
Seems simple enough. Is my thinking correct on this? See any problems with this setup?

Second question:

I was looking at the b.o.m. and there is one part from mouser that looks like it's discontinued.

Mfr. #: GRM188R71E104JA01J
Manufacturer: Murata
Desc.: Multilayer Ceramic Capacitors MLCC - SMD/SMT .1UF 25V 5%

Is there another part I can substitute here (perhaps identical), as I would like to get all components needed in one go, from Mouser.

Your help is appreciated. thanks!

bman
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Fade 1.4 couple of questions

Post by bman » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:33 pm

If you go to the mouser page for that part, in the bottom of the page there's a section with specs and each spec has a checkbox next to it. Check the checkboxes that look important until the number of matches goes down to 10 or 100 or something, then "Show Similar".

In general, with smd resistors/capacitors just make sure it's the right size (probably 0603 here), the right value (0.1uF, same as 100nF), at least the same voltage (25V or more) and at least the same tolerance (5% or less) and you'll be fine. Just get the cheapest one that matches those, doesn't have to be murata brand or anything.

So if you use the comparison section on the part you mentioned, just check the boxes next to the size, the value, the voltage, and the tolerance and click "Show Similar" and you'll see like 15 choices. I'd choose CC0603JRX7R8BB104 based on the super cheap price but it's up to you.

You can also generally save money on resistors/caps and other tiny parts by buying 10 instead of 6, or 100 instead of 34, etc, because of bulk discounts so take that into consideration. 100nF is a common cap value too so if you plan to do more diy in the future buy extra if it's cheaper.

Double check your order because it really sucks to be 99% through your builds and realize you missed a 1 cent part but you have to pay 8$ shipping for another mouser order. =P

Return to “Antumbra”