rolling updates thread

Earthside communication channel for 6U format devices

Moderators: Kent, slow_riot

slow_riot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

rolling updates thread

Post by slow_riot » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:04 pm

Starting a new thread for general news/updates...

Crossposting from Facebook:

Price of Oscilloplasm rose to £800 unavoidably due to rising costs at this end, in particular the AD633 analog multiplier. Note that the cost of this module is a bit of an anomoly due to the complexity, future modules will be 3/4s of the cost of this one at least.

So the B***t deadline is looming, for EU customers I have 2 more units to ship from stock that I can guarantee will be before whatever mess occurs. Preparations for post B****t sales to EU customers are in place, but they will almost certainly be more complex than direct shipping across a common political zone!

Finally, the last Oscilloplasm went out to a customer whose collection is affiliated with the National Gallery of Denmark, and includes an EMS Synthi 100. A proud day for everyone involved.

Thanx!

this beautiful mess
Learning to Wiggle

Re: rolling updates thread

Post by this beautiful mess » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:04 am

Hi everyone

I thought it would be good to keep you up to date on the work being done at Aether Machine. There are pros and cons to showing preproduction work to the public, but I think for me it's a good thing.

My intention at this point is to take the Oscilloplasm into a more mainstream format (whilst continuing to support existing products of course). It will lose the modulation Sine but gain a set of waveshapers based on simple multiplication in stages to make a typical complex VCO (incidentally, anyone with an Oscilloplasm should really try feeding both parts of the main output into a linear multiplier like on the Hinton ModMix - you will get perfect octave ups from every partial). These waveshapers will make it into the W300 series Destinator module (along with 4 VCAs) as a dedicated companion module for it, but that will come later.

In terms of design objectives, the mainstream format module will aim for around the upper mid-end of the market, with automated production and some redevelopment to reduce costs. One major instance being less reliance on expensive 4 quadrant multipliers, which will however mean no through zero (which never seemed to help with sales anyway). But everything else will remain, and I think it will be an interesting contribution to that format. It was 5 years in development and I'm in a position to put my confidence behind it in a more mainstream market now.

Special thanks to everyone who bought modules or showed support for the work, to Grant and Cary, to anyone other manufacturers that looked at the published schematics but didn't go to market with them, and to the MW moderators for having me here.

Taylor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Taylor » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:51 pm

This is great to hear. I've been following the development of your modules over the years, and completely respect your design choices, but at the same time I think they deserve to be available to and seen by a wider audience.

Being a small maker myself, I know the struggle between having your own ideas, preferences, vision, and hearing outside requests and suggestions, and trying to figure out if they can all be reconciled.

Anyway, don't know whether you care about this, but I know it helps me push on with the less fun aspects of getting something to market when I know people are looking forward to what I come up with. So I'm just posting to say that I'm watching with great interest!

Aether Machine
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Aether Machine » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:29 am

Thanks Taylor! The big shiney format move didn't land so well amidst some unwise personal choices with how the company is represented here on the forum (with apologies to the mods for that).

There are a lot of internal dilemmas and conflicts with regard to manufacturing solutions for the audio market. The Wiard 300 system was the format that worked best for me as a musician, although the artistic temperamental side did creep into the business side with Aether Machine. It's obviously important to find a way to work with that.

Concerning my pre-Aether Machine musical history, I just got the tapes for an old project (also note known AM collaborator Zeke Clough on artwork duties)

I actually dubbed the tapes for some of the first Discrepant releases using a cassette duplicator around 2013, but I sold that machine immediately after, thinking it wouldn't be profitable, ultimately this was the wrong choice which I was just reminded of. The lesson from history is that I should not be so quick to jump ship on a good idea.

My intention now is to work on the guitar pedal for hopefully a regular income stream, and to work on the Destinator module, which will be an easy companion for the Oscilloplasm - which has an analytic output, i.e. the complex 0 degree and 90 degree outputs can be easily multiplied for octave up (and up and up) harmonics. If that doesn't help with consumer confidence that is holding off the people on the fence, then I will think about minijacks in the first instance, as well as the possiblities for opening the format up to DIY (which I will obviously need clearance from Grant and Cary for).

Availability of modules (due to price/market) is something that has occupied a lot of my thoughts. Small scale manufacturing along with high design goals does hold me into a corner, but it does bring benefits as there are no ruthless decisions made and more time can be spent on each device. Some of the difficulties of independence will diminish with experience and lessons learnt. Let's see how the next phase plays out.

Mark /// Aether Machine

Just for you circuit freaks, the guitar pedal is a simple waveshaper based around an LM13700 that would be suitable for a complex multi harmonic output (so no folding). One of the first dilemmas from the design side is the single supply of a battery or DC power. Opamps sort of don't care where the middle is, but typical single supply designs involve AC coupling at almost every stage (ask any engineer who worked for a pro-audio company who designed mixers why this is avoided). The current design features just a single AC coupling cap on the output, with the possiblity of transformer balanced ouput (and no AC coupling caps anywhere) being considered!

Return to “Aether Machine”