Oscilloplasm - complex VCO pair

Earthside communication channel for 6U format devices

Moderators: Kent, slow_riot

addendum
Common Wiggler

Post by addendum » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:59 pm

Nice fluffy sound, sounds similar to basic additive synthesis with a bit of slightly noisy FM applied.
But what are we really hearing, I mean which part or which harmonics are from the VCO and which from.the FX unit?

slow_riot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slow_riot » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:11 pm

addendum wrote:Nice fluffy sound, sounds similar to basic additive synthesis with a bit of slightly noisy FM applied.
But what are we really hearing, I mean which part or which harmonics are from the VCO and which from.the FX unit?
Yes, that's a problem with demos in a musical context. A lot of the sound is the layering from the pitch shifter but you can hear the FM characteristics of first or second harmonic sine being faded between and transferred to the extra layers. I was listening to Wolfgang Voigt's GAS which I am quite certain was made with orchestral samples and an Eventide H3000.

The two demos previous are both completely dry.

drumsofd00m
Ultra Wiggler

Post by drumsofd00m » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:54 pm

That's cool that you like GAS! Was a fave of mine from the first EP to "Königsforst". But I think the first EP & first album were mostly reverted and slowed down disco/ glam rock guitar samples plus a few synth pads, and Schubert and Wagner only came in on "Zauberberg". At least that's what it sounded like to me when I played around with my vinyl of the "GAS" album. Voigt was already known to have sampled T-Rex for Love Inc and later for Auftrieb. I may be wrong but I had a feeling that most of his non-acid work in the mid to late 90s was based on a few "core" snippets that were just treated differently for each project/ moniker. GAS becoming the exception (and paradoxically becoming boring soon, IMO).

Well, I'm just seeing that the first EP and LP aren't even included in the box set. That sucks. If you don't have them, I can send you my vinyl rip or a few links.

Uh, sorry for hijacking your thread! PM me if you like.

slow_riot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slow_riot » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:17 pm

drumsofd00m wrote:That's cool that you like GAS! Was a fave of mine from the first EP to "Königsforst". But I think the first EP & first album were mostly reverted and slowed down disco/ glam rock guitar samples plus a few synth pads, and Schubert and Wagner only came in on "Zauberberg". At least that's what it sounded like to me when I played around with my vinyl of the "GAS" album. Voigt was already known to have sampled T-Rex for Love Inc and later for Auftrieb. I may be wrong but I had a feeling that most of his non-acid work in the mid to late 90s was based on a few "core" snippets that were just treated differently for each project/ moniker. GAS becoming the exception (and paradoxically becoming boring soon, IMO).

Well, I'm just seeing that the first EP and LP aren't even included in the box set. That sucks. If you don't have them, I can send you my vinyl rip or a few links.

Uh, sorry for hijacking your thread! PM me if you like.
Talking about GAS is not a hijack! I just listened to Zauberberg and Koenigsforst back to back today. Wolfgang is obviously a revisionist and objects to the first EP/LP for some reason. There have also been quite major changes to the mastering as well as small edits from the original releases.

I got extremely close to the sound of those records with Eventide Harmonizers. I know that the concept was to reinvent a Germanic folk music, and in particular looked towards composers like Wagner/Schubert like you say, which I always took to mean he sampled them directly, as the complexity of the sounds is really well beyond the typical 90s synths and Wolfgang never came across as a rare synth/collector, more of a Brian Eno functionalist type approach. There may be some synthesizers involved as well though, I can certainly hear some x0x drum boxes and the TB303 in perhaps the most understated role it ever played during that era.

A nice record that has similar energy of haunted spaces is,

He's a massively underrated artist, partly due to his ruthlessly independent stance with pranks like this:

http://brainwashed.com/index.php?option ... &Itemid=97

I think the Death of Rave is his best work. His early VVM projects like Sick Love Anthems massively predated the modern vapor wave fascination.

(sorry everyone else about the hijack!)

slow_riot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slow_riot » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:30 pm

first batch of 10 panels out the shop will look like this:

KoryB
Common Wiggler

Post by KoryB » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:01 am

Will that be the final color scheme?

slow_riot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slow_riot » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:59 am

KoryB wrote:Will that be the final color scheme?
For the first batch of modules it will be. We tried many many different techniques and colours. My natural preference was for a more radical colour scheme, but the reality is that blue is linked closely to the identity of the format. I think the rusted orange compliments the blue very well, and a monochromatic panel for this artwork would look really boring. I think any politician worth their salt would call this a diplomatic compromise.

slow_riot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slow_riot » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:52 pm

First production unit shipping to DavidH in the next couple of weeks. Open for more orders soon after, approx 4 years after I began work.

Photos of the first (nearly) complete build up on the site, the first production PCB will have a PCB jackfield as the handwiring takes nearly a day.

https://aether-machine.com/oscilloplasm/

slow_riot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slow_riot » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:25 pm

If anyone wants to purchase the first unit, message or email me (address on my site).

There's a slight blemish on the faceplate so can offer a slight discount off of retail (£725), but it's the full mature final design.

Lead time is 2-3 weeks as I need to make some final bulk orders for parts.

Next batch is several months away as I am awaiting on stock from suppliers.

Thanks!

Illwiggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Illwiggle » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:03 pm

Some more demos would be awesome! I like what I hear, but itd be nice to preview more of the range of possibilities. All ive heard so far are drone type stuff, which sound great (!) but what other tricks are stashed up its sleeve?

slow_riot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slow_riot » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:24 pm

I'd like to think that it's quite open ended, otherwise I wouldn't be doing my job properly. One problem with providing demos is that I sold all my other gear to fund the development costs. With some envelopes and a low DC offset amplitude modulator it will of course do percussive bell like tones.

I'm expecting some demos from serial number 1 which should give some ideas about what to expect. I did one with sequencing myself using Reaktor and a DC coupled soundcard using nothing more than a bantam to TRS 1/4" cable.

[video][/video]

KoryB
Common Wiggler

Post by KoryB » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:19 pm

MORE demos, please (:

davidh
Ultra Wiggler

Post by davidh » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:44 am

here serial number 1 8-)

will make some demo in december

sabasan
Common Wiggler

Post by sabasan » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:19 am

cool :sb:

slow_riot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slow_riot » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:46 am

massive thanks to DavidH , so happy to hear it being used properly

[video][/video]

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:29 pm

As I suspected, that looks more at home with Wiard Blue than I think people would think at first glance. Looks like it just melts and flows right off of the other modules. :tu:

Edit: Just got to listen to that too. Sounds nice!

elmerfudd
Common Wiggler

Osc

Post by elmerfudd » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:31 pm

Really like the visual aesthetic, seeing it in among the other modules.
Love the tonalities, particularly towards the end of the demo.
Hate the TT only decision. Leaves me cold.....Would like a 3.5 option.

slow_riot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slow_riot » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:05 pm

Balancing addresses almost every issue of low noise integration into a complex audio system, which may be generating a huge amount of power in most professional environments. Cost to user is the same as minijack. supporting multiple interfaces requires more risks and costs than may be immediately obvious.

slow_riot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slow_riot » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:53 pm

I submitted the final PCB revision for this module today, with a bunch more optimizations and improvements, and I'm confident that the design will outperform anything else on the market by a huge margin. But sadly, the interest is not there to justify the time and expense of working on these devices full time, and I shall be practicing my skills in the engineering industry instead. It's 100% certain that I will become very bored at some point, and I have more ideas for music devices that have never been done before in any form that I will continue to work on. So you've not seen the last of me yet, but for now I am moving the focus away from design, and fulfilling orders will need to be done alongside a busy working week. See you on the other side!

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:56 pm

Good luck! I know how that goes.

IT Systems day job, wife + 4 kids, then synths. :deadbanana:

I hope it works out to where you have more time for synths.

:party:

slow_riot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slow_riot » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:19 pm

J3RK wrote:Good luck! I know how that goes.

IT Systems day job, wife + 4 kids, then synths. :deadbanana:

I hope it works out to where you have more time for synths.

:party:
Thanks Dustin. Funnily enough 4 years of experience bringing a product to market, even a device for divining alternative realms of existence, looks good on a CV/Resume. I think experience in the product design and assembly industry will be a good thing.

At this point I'm fed up with the synths and the industry anyway so looking forward to being in a professional environment and having money to support myself. I'm sure the synths won't ever stray too far from my thoughts.

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:40 pm

slow_riot wrote:I'm confident that the design will outperform anything else on the market by a huge margin. But sadly, the interest is not there to justify the time and expense of working on these devices full time, and I shall be practicing my skills in the engineering industry instead.
I hope I am not sounding like a jerk (no, not you J3RK!), but in hindsight I'd assume you have picked a very, very difficult set of parameters, financially speaking:

- A module primarily interesting to existing owners of a specific "boutique" modular synthesiser format that has a relatively small user base
- In practise catering for an even smaller corner of that user base with Bantam/TT-equipped modules, or those willing to convert their system to Bantam
- At least part of those users I assume are specifically finding uniform look and "single manufacturer" system with limited module choices appealing - so a radical colourful departure from the look of the existing system and being the first third party designer sound risky
- Product price in the professional / boutique segment, requiring an investment on the upper end of the scale of existing modules available for the format (which feel like serious investments in itself, unless one's other synth is a Buchla), making it harder to make a purchase decision without a very clear desire for a module exactly like this
- Very little marketing, and mostly of the nature understandable by the more technically savvy of us. I'm not sure how many of even the existing Wiard users are even aware the module exists, let alone that it would be available - I became aware of the latter fact only by looking at the subforum almost by accident after a long break
- Very few demos and non-technical information to help a musician make up his/her mind about how interesting the module is in practise, making it even more difficult to make an investment almost "unheard"

In short, it does seem like something very intriguing, technically advanced and built with a no-compromise attitude - but as a consequence of the no-compromise attitude, there is also a very limited group of people it directly appeals to as is.

This takes nothing away from the product design process and the end result in itself, and as was discussed in the other threads here there is no obligation of following or trying to cater to any specific market (or any shame in not spending one's money on something) - it's just that I can see clear practical reasons for why the interest would not currently be as large as hoped for.

(FWIW I've been fascinated by the project from the point you announced it, and wondered whether I'd eventually end up buying one as I do have a Wiard 300 system with Bantams and FM synthesis is very much on the list of things I love - but among everything else, the fact that my current Wiard frame is full of modules, my monthly budget is not very generous, and that my interest seems to have been more towards building than buying lately, have kept the decision on infinite hold...)
Warm thank you to everyone for the past 10 years. I'm not active here anymore for personal reasons, so for those I've had the pleasure of dealing with please send an e-mail instead of PM if you wish to get in touch.

slow_riot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slow_riot » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:47 pm

Those are all fair and good points. My focus has been so much on the process that my perspective is distorted.

Whilst I continue to have ideas to put into modules I will persevere to make them happen, and refrain from passing the blame when things aren't going to plan.

If anyone has a specific point they wish to raise about documentation or similar, please mention it. A friend did mention that the documentation was too technical, although I did feel that the revision that I made was much less useful, and felt that another potential customer could easily citicise the documention for being unspecific. As a last resort please ask me directly and I'd be happy to explain directly.

DomMorley
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DomMorley » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:01 am

As an add-on to fits's good points, if you could find a way to bring this into the eurorack realm without suffering too many technical compromises (i.e. keeping what's great and unique about the module, whilst allowing that it's going to have to be 12V, mini jacks etc) then you will open yourself up to a hungry and wide open market.

With all the great work you've put into this, and the higher ideals of better sounding modules (which I obviously applaud) it would be a shame if it didn't reach it's full potential audience due to form factor (I realise there's more to it than front panel shape - but hopefully you get what I mean). The uncompromised module can remain available to the Wiard world, but a slimmed-down euro version can pay the bills (ask SynthTech about that one :hihi: )
How I fill my days: www.dommorley.com

"Your head will collapse, but there's nothing in it..."

slow_riot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slow_riot » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:05 pm

It would certainly make my life easier to sell products that are half as good for twice the price, and take advantage of pre-orders for a crowd pleasing design. It would be easier to take negative comments less personally in that context too, because people could say what they wanted but I would have their cash.

But anyway I'm still here, the final iteration of the module is good (I lost count but I think it's number 7), and shall be shipping out to DavidH shortly, after implementing some bug fixes and more improvements on the initial board he received. I expect the necessary stock for more orders after April, once the mechanical engineer forming the chassis is back from a construction project for Coachella, he has certainly been hard to pin down recently!

Return to “Aether Machine”