Mutant Theory - 3D physical modelling filter

Earthside communication channel for 6U format devices

Moderators: Kent, slow_riot

slow_riot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Mutant Theory - 3D physical modelling filter

Post by slow_riot » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:08 am

So this is the third module, being posted here to entice sales of the VCOs which have units in stock ready to ship. Sales of these will allow the company to go into production & prototyping of these next 2 modules.

This module offers a style of computation that is quite novel, both in analogue or digital. Physical modelling of strings has been done in analogue by Haible, Moog (and not especially well, despite their other accomplishments). And Karplus-Strong waveguide synthesis has been available in hardware and software for a similar amount of time.

The module computes 3 dimensional physical modelling directly according to a mathematical analogue, in an especially resource efficient way. Just 3 state variable filters in parallel with a shared feedback path. The shared feedback path means complex resonant harmonics are generated through recursion rather than brute force.

Specifically, the module solves the wave equation (the vibration modes of a circular membrane), or fluid flow (so called Navier Stokes) both in 3 dimensions.

To give an idea how interesting this technology is, there is a $1,000,000 reward for anyone who can prove that the solutions to Navier Stokes equation within specific conditions are valid by the Clay Mathematics Insititute source. The implication seems to be that they are looking for a higher theoretical proof rather than a practical working model. Their (and my) loss could be your gain!

https://aether-machine.com/mutant-theory/

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:02 am

What happened to this?
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

slow_riot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slow_riot » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:14 am

We're a little dormant here at Aether Machine, not having the time, energy or capital to move forward with new designs.

Commitment to future designs is unwavering, in fact they're both mostly where they need to be, but not ready to lose sleep to make them happen just yet. Will keep everyone posted.

Oscilloplasm first batch is all out now, can do more if enough people bug me.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:05 am

Well, a demo of this would be nice, if possible. The concept is so intriguing!
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

notmiserlouagain
Veteran Wiggler

Post by notmiserlouagain » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:05 pm

Most definitly a demo!
Btw. is it possible to get into self oscillation?
He who eats with most pleasure is he who least requires sauce.
Xenophon

this beautiful mess
Learning to Wiggle

Post by this beautiful mess » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:33 am

slow_riot wrote: Oscilloplasm first batch is all out now, can do more if enough people bug me.
I changed my forum name because slow_riot was the email address I had when I was a teenager, and I'm likely at the mid point of my life now. Business email still the same and on the website which is the best way to reach us anyway.

There was a cancellation and I have 2 Oscilloplasms several weeks from shipping. The order which was cancelled was set to receive a gratis Hinton PSU & mounting frame, so I could extend that deal should anyone wish to get the last 2 modules (of this batch) together.

notmiserlouagain
Veteran Wiggler

Post by notmiserlouagain » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:44 am

Welcome to Muffs! :mrgreen:
Love the new name!
Xenophon

this beautiful mess
Learning to Wiggle

Post by this beautiful mess » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:22 am

Thanks!

I've got a software prototype for the Mutant Theory as a proof of concept and to test the feature set, although it's slightly underwhelming at this stage, I'm hoping that (as is often the case) it will sound better once I've made a physical prototype.

Physical prototyping of the Oscilloplasm cost me a lot of physical/emotional/psychic energy so it's not something that can be rushed. I think the common theme of rushing to be the first to market with an idea applies less with 50 year old technology.

notmiserlouagain
Veteran Wiggler

Post by notmiserlouagain » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:29 am

I first came upon the basic concept when blue hell on e-music forum mentioned it.
he spoke of paralleling up to 12 SVFs. I was going to try that with my basic SVF pcb
(which is a clone of the Benjolin subcircuit with adjustable harmonic distortion
(feedback from bp out to the freq parameter)).
I could imagine that sounding interesting in this configuration.

But then I was drawn again to the classical guitar and building highly linear
low noise preamps rabbit hole :bananaguitar:

Could you describe "underwhelming" in the software version?
Xenophon

this beautiful mess
Learning to Wiggle

Post by this beautiful mess » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:44 am

This topology is a *vast* improvement on paralleling endless SVFs. Partial differential equations are essentially fractal, and the feedback does the work, it also gives a better playing style, because you can just tweak the 3 filter cutoffs. I'd guess with 12-24 SVFs adjusting the relative spacing is very complex.

My concern with the software build is that according to the equation described by the maths, it should be really possible to get obvious mutliple resonant peaks like would be heard in Karplus-Strong or Waveguide, but so far, in software at least, the effect is more subtle.

notmiserlouagain
Veteran Wiggler

Post by notmiserlouagain » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:23 am

this beautiful mess wrote:This topology...
Do you mean the shared fb path or is there something else going
on in your circuit (don´t disclose, just if :hihi: )
You are right the monster version only makes sense in an automated
software environment.

on a sidenote i could see attenuverters/switch hitters being interesting for this
sorry I´m just talking o.o.m.a. :roll:
Xenophon

this beautiful mess
Learning to Wiggle

Post by this beautiful mess » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:52 am

I'll publish the full schematic once my 6U version is out.

User feedback can be really important to the design process (DavidH saved the Oscilloplasm from being a complete flop), there are many aspects of design that I have to take full responsiblity for, sink or swim, but the "outside" of the module can be harder for me to get right, and input can be really helpful.

Each Dimension control (AKA cutoff) has a fixed offset control and attenuation for the modulation inputs which I'm hoping can be better labelled.

The three inputs to the filters have level control.

There is one remaining position in the jackfield, I think this might be good to select between having the 3 filter cutoffs *completely* independent, or having the X Dimension as the master which the others are slaved to (but can still be varied up or down according to their own controls).

Having HP, BP and LP for 3 filter channels takes up a lot of space!

Cat-A-Tonic
Lobsters love Muff

Re: Mutant Theory - 3D physical modelling filter

Post by Cat-A-Tonic » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:47 am

Is this concept similar to the Analogue Systems RS-360 Vocal/Phase Filter Bank?

Aether Machine
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Mutant Theory - 3D physical modelling filter

Post by Aether Machine » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:57 pm

Hi Cat-A-Tonic. The AS-360 appears to be 3 multimode filters in parallel, whereas the original concept for the Mutant Theory was for an analog model for a 3D membrane. If you have heard the complex resonant phenomena of a metallic object like a gong, you will know that an electronic model for this would be very desirable!

This is probably a good time to say that I have moved away from that research for the Mutant Theory, to focus on models for membranes that will behave more like a drum machine: i.e. triggerable, with controllable decay time, master frequency and a detune control almost identical to the Evolve control on the Oscilloplasm. There will be 2 in a 300 Series sized module.

Return to “Aether Machine”