Patch ideas for modular complex oscillator

Post your patches here! Put the format(s) in the subject.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

wiggies
Common Wiggler

Patch ideas for modular complex oscillator

Post by wiggies » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:34 pm

Hello, I am looking for people's thoughts on how one might patch up a complex oscillator based on this subunit of my system:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1455456
modulargrid_1455456.png
modulargrid_1455456.png (207.5 KiB) Viewed 84 times
Imagine this is a self-contained complex oscillator that you are self patching before outputting to the rest of the system. What routings would you create, to then interface with sequencers, LFOs, envelopes, VCAs, etc. in a patch. Warps is running Parasites.

I am primarily interested in generative and ambient music and slowly changing timbres.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Patch ideas for modular complex oscillator

Post by studio460 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:29 pm

Since the Spectrum is a precision-VCO, I'm not sure if that's the best partner for the Dixie, though I could be way off base here. I'm new at this so take what I say with a grain of salt. If you don't need precision-voltages (i.e., perfect-pitch in more chromatic-heavy pieces), I think "lesser" VCOs can do well at this applications.

I think the main ingredient for many complex-oscillator patches is a near-perfect sine as a modulator, so maybe the Spectrum is good for this (someone please correct me or clarify—I'm just guessing here). Again, still trying to figure this out myself. So far, my favorite "complex-oscillator" is my two Dreadbox Hysteria analog-VCOs and Dreadbox Eudomonia VCF/VCA (I'm guessing two Dixies and just about any VCA can sound as good or better).

But I think the Eudmonia VCF/VCA is just the bees' knees. That it's a combo VCF/VCA seems to give it extra oomph when attempting multi-VCO complex-patches. My go-to Dreadbox-patch is basically: VCO1 → VCF/VCA → VCO2 linear-FM input.

I usually just wiggle the v/oct-sliders on both Hysteria VCOs and get pure craziness. Maybe that they're both analog VCOs also aid in their edginess? I don't know, but they sound great all fucked-up! A few here have commented that they don't track accurately—I don't know since I haven't used them chromatically yet (been using my new Acid Rain Chainsaw + Toppobrillo Quantimator for chromatic pieces).

Return to “Synthesis Techniques”