Shoving Stuff Into Things

Post your patches here! Put the format(s) in the subject.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

thelowerrhythm
Common Wiggler

Shoving Stuff Into Things

Post by thelowerrhythm » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:35 pm

I'd wager that most modular enthusiasts would vote for "shoving stuff into things and getting surprising and/or delicious results" as the top reason they're into the sport of patching technique. And since this section of the forum seems a bit anemic, I thought I'd ask this here:

What are your favorite instances of shoving a thing into another thing?

It's far from fancy, but mine has thus far been stuffing a VCO's Pitch, FM, Sync, and PW inputs with other VCOs, and then stuffing those VCOs inputs with even more VCOs.

I'm also a fan of stuffing Rings with FM'd VCOs or slow digital noise (or a pinged filter).

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:12 am

Melodies into Rings IN input is my latest discovery. Creates complimentary pads/background glitter that fleshes out a patch nicely.
Remorseless modular beat; a bit discordant but melodic too. 🦊🦂

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:35 am

Read in the ARP 2600 manual yesterday about noise into PWM. Tried it and... :woah:

(I should point out that this was part of a patch that already included two saws and a Wasp, so there was already a fair amount of :woah: to begin with.)

thelowerrhythm
Common Wiggler

Post by thelowerrhythm » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:36 pm

Just tried noise into PWM on a Noise Reap Bermuda and can concur: :woah:

No idea why I never did that before.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:24 am

thelowerrhythm wrote:No idea why I never did that before.
Exactly! And according to the 2600 manual, "the noise generator is normalled to the PWM input. This is important to note, since normals represent the way things are most commonly patched together. Thus, patching the noise generator’s output to the PWM input must be a fairly common application."

So now we know. :party:

beatcleaver
Wiggling with Experience

Post by beatcleaver » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:40 am

cptnal wrote:Read in the ARP 2600 manual yesterday about noise into PWM. Tried it and... :woah:

(I should point out that this was part of a patch that already included two saws and a Wasp, so there was already a fair amount of :woah: to begin with.)
I've found you can make a percussion sound from pretty much any oscillator by shoving noise into the FM input and tuning to taste

ayruos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ayruos » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:49 am

I've been shoving all the outputs from my Wogglebug into anything these days with different amounts of attenuversion.

Latest obsession - the Wogglebug burst out through the Make Noise Function as a slew generator into the Clouds/Antumbra Burst blend output, set to reverb, sometimes through an attenuverter. The bursts of reverbs tend to turn out pretty tasty! :D

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:09 pm

EMW Arcade Noise(modulated or static) into anything. Sometimes it works. Sometimes not.
FS: A-140-2 Dual VC ADSR, Erica VCA 2, SP-555 Sampler and more - CHEAP!!!
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

thelowerrhythm
Common Wiggler

Post by thelowerrhythm » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:37 am

ayruos wrote:I've been shoving all the outputs from my Wogglebug into anything these days with different amounts of attenuversion.

Latest obsession - the Wogglebug burst out through the Make Noise Function as a slew generator into the Clouds/Antumbra Burst blend output, set to reverb, sometimes through an attenuverter. The bursts of reverbs tend to turn out pretty tasty! :D
I'm out of town at the moment doing some teaching and brought a 6U with me built around the Wogglebug. I haven't been made to really rely on it until now and I'm falling in love with the thing. All of the weird outputs are perfect for driving and manipulating a couple of Rings and the Clouds I'm cramming them through. Sort of the same-ish sound every time, but it's a satisfying one.

minigmgoit
Common Wiggler

Post by minigmgoit » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:01 pm

I like shoving triggers from the trigger riot into random inputs on whole voice modules like the BIA, Taiko, Plonk etc Very dynamic results and utterly musical.

I'm also enjoying the Morphagene. My favourite thing to do at the moment is record acoustic instruments into it. I generally will create a nice scale and play and record that into it then make interesting LFO's in the Shapeshifter and shove that into the Slide input. This will then play new melodies but unlike using the speed control it doesn't sound digital when the note changes. I've made some seriously beautiful music with this method. I generally modulate the Shapeshifter slowly to get a constant change happening.

thelowerrhythm
Common Wiggler

Post by thelowerrhythm » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:03 pm

minigmgoit wrote:I like shoving triggers from the trigger riot into random inputs on whole voice modules like the BIA, Taiko, Plonk etc Very dynamic results and utterly musical.

I'm also enjoying the Morphagene. My favourite thing to do at the moment is record acoustic instruments into it. I generally will create a nice scale and play and record that into it then make interesting LFO's in the Shapeshifter and shove that into the Slide input. This will then play new melodies but unlike using the speed control it doesn't sound digital when the note changes. I've made some seriously beautiful music with this method. I generally modulate the Shapeshifter slowly to get a constant change happening.
I enjoy doing that with my Phonogene. Acoustic stuff is always the best stuff to jam in there.
Current spirit animal: Elaine Radigue, sans accordion.

Return to “Synthesis Techniques”