Serge: Huge PWM with SSG

Post your patches here! Put the format(s) in the subject.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Serge: Huge PWM with SSG

Post by luketeaford » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:24 pm

This crowd probably knows this already, but it's not documented on the wizardry SSG site, so maybe it's worth some longer patch notes.

A Smooth/Stepped Generator can give you a variety of PWM that I really love for its garbled huge tone. Patch an input into the smooth side's IN. Patch from smooth CYCLE to stepped SAMPLE and adjust the smooth signal input so that the cycle triggers the sample input. Cycle the stepped side on itself with a patch cable or switch. Take the PWM output from the extra-loud-in-serge HOT output. The feedback of the stepped side controls the smoothness and the rate of the stepped side controls the rate of PWM (it's sort of like a free-running LFO for PWM except that the comparator is what's driving it).

OPTIONAL: Patch from stepped out into the smooth VC Rate input and attenuate to taste. This can create an even more dynamic sound and in some combinations it can sound like a whole lot of oscillators because of all the various interference patterns going on. I used the same technique in a drone patch a few days earlier somewhere else on my Instagram page.

Here's a video of it in action:

The video is the entire patch :tu:

tardishead
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tardishead » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:04 pm

Luke - please keep going! These are great
Inspiring
The serge stuff inspires so much individual interpretation
Truly the people’s synthesiser!

Biom
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Biom » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:30 am

Indeed a great addition to an SSG wizardry! So much lies within this module.
Thank you for sharing!

mister_wavey
Common Wiggler

Post by mister_wavey » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:57 am

I'm attempting to get similar results with the Toppobrillo Sport Modulator in eurorack, which is inspired from the SSG.

I've made some progress by inferring how the two relate, but not had an exact match yet. I'm still learning the SM, and enjoying learning how/if this translates, but if anyone has more insight, I'd appreciate it.

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Serge: Huge PWM with SSG

Post by luketeaford » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:56 pm

I think the Sport Modulator is similar to the SSG except that it might not go as fast and I think both sections can be switched on the SM-- so it operates in either smooth or stepped mode on each side. That's cool because a lot of times if you patch it up correctly but haven't exactly got the knobs lined up, it can be difficult to fine tune until you know the concepts driving how the SSG works.

I think Navs has made the definitive guide on the subject: Image :mrgreen:

bitone
Common Wiggler

Post by bitone » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:31 am

nice thanks for sharing - I am curious if this is possible with the slightly different STS SSG, where only the coupler output is available - I'm seeing that the HOT output in RS is bipolar, whereas the regular COUPL output is unipolar... I'm guessing the STS version is unipolar. gotta go home and give this a shot and see if it sounds like anything worthwhile! thanks again!

hollunderkurve
Common Wiggler

Post by hollunderkurve » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:17 am

yes - thank you for sharing this, and love the demo.

bitone
Common Wiggler

Post by bitone » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:24 pm

Ok I tried this on my STS Serge system, and the regular coupled output does generate a great PWM! Thanks again for sharing this, I was searching around - I knew because of the comparator element in the SSG that PWM must be possible..

Some notes on trying this with STS - I found I had to run the oscillator output (sine for best results) thru a VCA to pump it up to get the smooth side of SSG going/to generate sound.

I also found during this process that feeding the 'smooth out' back into the stepped 'VC rate' in made things a little Wilder sounding

bitone
Common Wiggler

Post by bitone » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:32 pm

Hmm now noticing that it also seems like you have the smooth side in your demo set to cycle on? that's one element I left out when trying.. will ha e to do a round 2.

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:18 pm

bitone wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:32 pm
Hmm now noticing that it also seems like you have the smooth side in your demo set to cycle on? that's one element I left out when trying.. will ha e to do a round 2.
Nice about the STS versions too. The R*S version is a little weird in euro-- in general the switches are active if they are pointed to the label so if the switch for cycling is up it's off. (The exception to this is the TWS+ which works the opposite way where you move the switch toward the top to link to the section above it-- I think it makes more sense the other way for consistency but whatever...) :tu:

bitone
Common Wiggler

Post by bitone » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:13 am

luketeaford wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:18 pm
bitone wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:32 pm
Nice about the STS versions too. The R*S version is a little weird in euro-- in general the switches are active if they are pointed to the label so if the switch for cycling is up it's off. (The exception to this is the TWS+ which works the opposite way where you move the switch toward the top to link to the section above it-- I think it makes more sense the other way for consistency but whatever...) :tu:
Gotcha, yeah i figured as much, as I realized in the patch that putting the cycle to the input on the smooth would halt / de-rail the patch, as essentially the smooth side is being used in its gate mode in a certain complex way.

Another note i wanted to mention is that while i had this going, I also wanted to compare it (no pun intended) with a regular comparator pwm patch - the regular pwm patch from using a comparator on my STS system sounded 'bigger' and chunkier to my ear - not sure why but damn did it sound good. this kind of beefy sound always takes some work to achieve on a serge, but I had forgotten how quick and big this sounded, i guess i haven't wanted to used pwm in a minute.. The SSQ is great and as always amazes with its versatility, but now I am definitely re-thinking selling off my one m-panel with the n-comp.... ;)

wavecircle
Big Audio Sodomite

Post by wavecircle » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:36 am

luketeaford wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:56 pm
I think the Sport Modulator is similar to the SSG except that it might not go as fast and I think both sections can be switched on the SM
On the Elby boards you can put a switch on to have both sections of the SSG be either smooth or stepped...
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thezyg/ (lots of Serge)

[s]http://bit.ly/2Mekran[/s]

Ciat Lonbarde stuff from many moons ago: http://soundcloud.com/polska-kliknij-muzyka

Return to “Synthesis Techniques”