Tick tock

Post your patches here! Put the format(s) in the subject.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

cornutt
Fig juggler

Tick tock

Post by cornutt » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:37 pm

Has anyone got a technique for synthesizing a reasonable"tick tock" sound of a pendulum clock? I've tried two things so far and haven't really gotten satisfactory results. Impulising a filter with a spike from an envelope generator, I can get some things that kind of sound like wood blocks, which is interesting but not what I want (and I tried several different filters). I tried running white and pink noise into a VCA with an impulse from an AD envelope controlling it. If I set the VCA response to "linear", I just get a short burst of noise. If I set it to "exponential", I can get all kinds of snapping and popping and spitting sounds, but no ticks. Any ideas?
Sequence 15 -- sequence15.blogspot.com

sir stony
Common Wiggler

Re: Tick tock

Post by sir stony » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:35 pm

I haven't tried to create that precise flavour of sound yet, but experience tells me, to get close to a real sound you'll need both aspects together, not one or the other. And very likely, you'll need one more resonator for the lower resonance of the clock case's acoustic volume, not just the wooden material resonance. To refine it more, I'd try to create a strike sound with a metallic flavour instead of just noise or a simple wave. Something with a light high frequency modulation to it. And in the end, add some reverb so the clock really stands in a room, not between your ears.
Post us a sample if you get something nice like that. 8-)

cornutt
Fig juggler

Post by cornutt » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:16 pm

What I wound up doing: For the "tock" sound, I impulsed the bandpass input of a Steiner filter. I used a Dotcom Q109 EG to generate the spike. One thing that was peculiar was that I could not get it to make the exact same sound twice. I suspect there is a little bit of variation in the Q109's timing, but I haven't dug into it yet to find out. I did about 10 of them and sampled the one I liked best.

I simply could not come up with a satisfactory way to make the "tick" sound, with either the modular or any other synth I tried. I wound up doing it with my mouth, and sampling it.
Sequence 15 -- sequence15.blogspot.com

sir stony
Common Wiggler

Post by sir stony » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:51 pm

cornutt wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:16 pm
I simply could not come up with a satisfactory way to make the "tick" sound, with either the modular or any other synth I tried. I wound up doing it with my mouth, and sampling it.
Yeah, we humans can be amazing synthesizers. :lol:
But I'm somewhat intrigued now, maybe I'll give it a go myself and see what I can come up with.

Return to “Synthesis Techniques”