Resources to learn Recursive & Cross-fed Modulation Routings

Post your patches here! Put the format(s) in the subject.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

pranavakazack
Learning to Wiggle

Resources to learn Recursive & Cross-fed Modulation Routings

Post by pranavakazack » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:02 pm

For Instance:

A. Recursive/Nested
Source: LFO1's Output Target: LFO1's P hase Input
What kind of effect does this have on the cv/event signal, is it being skewed, distorted, amplified?

B. Modulating Modulators
1. Source:Env2's Output Target: Env1's Sustain

Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Resources to learn Recursive & Cross-fed Modulation Routings

Post by Navs » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:31 am

What do you mean by resources - an alternative to actual modules?

If you don't have the modules to just try the patch examples you gave, you could use the Clavia Nord Modular G2 Demo software:

https://www.nordkeyboards.com/downloads ... modular-g2

To hear the effect of, e.g. bending a CV, patch it into the frequency input of a VCO. If you want to 'see' the results you'll need, e.g. a software oscilloscope. The Clavia software doesn't have one built in, so you'd need to loop back the audio to another channel on your audio interface, either physically or with a programme like Audio Hijack etc.

Another environment you could use is Pure Data (which does have a built-in scope module), but is less intuitive in terms of patching (at least for me). Axoloti's patching environment is more familiar but requires the purchase of hardware. I'm sure there are other programmes these days, but those are the ones I have experience with.

Xomrys
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Resources to learn Recursive & Cross-fed Modulation Routings

Post by Xomrys » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:47 am

Some typical routings are -- feed back envelope output into decay rate. A higher voltage should increase the rate, or decrease the decay time. This turns a linear envelope into one with an exponential shape, which can be useful for creating more natural, acoustic-like sounds.

LFO output into LFO rate can turn a sine or triangle into a 'spiky' shape. But this effect is more of a gimmick, I don't use it so often.

Feedback around comparators can be interesting. with negative feedback (output to '-') the comparator will behave instead like a linear element. That is, instead of outputting either 0V or 5V, it will output all voltages in between. It will act like a gain of '1'. This can be useful as a voltage buffer, to drive multiple outputs from the same input without a voltage drop.

With positive feedback the comparator becomes a Schmitt trigger which can be used as a 1-bit memory element.

With most of these feedback mappings, you just need to experiment.

Return to “Synthesis Techniques”