Synthesizing a Sneeze

Post your patches here! Put the format(s) in the subject.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Synthesizing a Sneeze

Post by dooj88 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:42 am

well if i'm going to get sick eventually, so is the modular. with time to kill waiting to get better, how would you go about synthesizing a sneeze sound? i haven't given it much thought beyond a formant sound, a noise source and some kind of cross fading..

lets hear your coronapatches!

cornutt
Fig juggler

Re: Synthesizing a Sneeze

Post by cornutt » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:46 am

As a wild guess, since a sneeze is a product of the human vocal tract and mouth, putting white noise through some kind of formant filter would be a start. It could be interesting to sample one and then loop just the section where the most high-frequency noise is, to hear what that part really sounds like, and then go to work with a formant filter and a VCA with a very fast release.
Sequence 15 -- sequence15.blogspot.com

wuff_miggler
Common Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:00 pm

Noise souce (white?) > something like the Doepfer Triple Resonance Filter (being controlled by a polyphonic cv (to target the AAA and the OOO and wiggle them simultaneously)

maybe also need to use a complex envelope generator to get the right slopes.

the "TSCH" part could be done the same way you do a snare drum or noisy hi hat.

commodorejohn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by commodorejohn » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:52 pm

Off the top of my head, I'd say the full-windpipe component (AHHH-HOOO) could be done pretty easily with white noise running through a resonant HPF -> LPF chain - both of them sweeping upward a bit during the attack phase, the LPF less emphatically than the HPF, and both decaying back down at about the same rate during the release phase. The TCCCHHH I'd do with white noise running through a non-resonant LPF modulated by a fairly rapid downsaw LFO, with the LFO's own intensity decaying under envelope control (instant attack, short release.)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

wuff_miggler
Common Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:03 pm

^ nice one commodorejohn :D

Return to “Synthesis Techniques”