Patch Ideas

Post your patches here! Put the format(s) in the subject.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

The_hitcher
Common Wiggler

Patch Ideas

Post by The_hitcher » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:05 am

I was watching a divkid video recently where he was talking about how cool it was to have Richard Devine at his house patching his system. I wondered if there were ever any threads of folks posting their rigs and having users jump in and suggest/plan a patch (remotely obviously). Could be a bit tedious, but could be fun too. Any thoughts?

Luke2020

Re: Patch Ideas

Post by Luke2020 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:11 am

no-one will do it, requires too much enthusiasm.

The_hitcher
Common Wiggler

Post by The_hitcher » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:10 pm

haha you're probably right. I'm sure you could get pretty deep in the weeds trying to dictate all the patches in even a remotely complicated patch.

Luke2020

Post by Luke2020 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:12 pm

there's modular grid obviously... people tend to be a bit self involved about their modulars. i can never get anyone to send me the sound samples i ask for, either., even as there is money on the table.

:despair:

typical_analytical
Learning to Wiggle

Post by typical_analytical » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:34 pm

Make a VCV Rack .vcv with your modules (or similar modules) and remove all cables. Post to patchstorage. Ask for submissions. Done. Them share them here.

The_hitcher
Common Wiggler

Post by The_hitcher » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:04 pm

Luke2020 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:12 pm
there's modular grid obviously... people tend to be a bit self involved about their modulars. i can never get anyone to send me the sound samples i ask for, either., even as there is money on the table.

I'd do it. It might take a while as I get limited time out in the garage, but I'd totally do that.

The_hitcher
Common Wiggler

Post by The_hitcher » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:05 pm

typical_analytical wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:34 pm
Make a VCV Rack .vcv with your modules (or similar modules) and remove all cables. Post to patchstorage. Ask for submissions. Done. Them share them here.
That's an interesting thought. I never use VCV, but that would be more like someone else patching your system than someone telling you how to patch your system.

Luke2020

Post by Luke2020 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:09 pm

The_hitcher wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:04 pm
Luke2020 wrote:

I'd do it. It might take a while as I get limited time out in the garage, but I'd totally do that.
i appreciate that, but am done shopping now.

Zerius
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zerius » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:50 am

The best way to get fresh ideas imo is to talk with your modular community irl and see others users systems I guess. I’m learning a lot since I met some other synth guys in my city and we share equipment and knowledge a lot since we met. I wish I had a shop like Schneidersladen in town to try new stuffs every weeks or even to buy some basic equipments like patch cables.
I used to dig a lot via youtube / muffwiggler at the begining and learned a lot by myself but it’s better to have people around and learn from each other’s.

The_hitcher
Common Wiggler

Post by The_hitcher » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:03 am

Zerius wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:50 am
The best way to get fresh ideas imo is to talk with your modular community irl and see others users systems I guess. I’m learning a lot since I met some other synth guys in my city and we share equipment and knowledge a lot since we met. I wish I had a shop like Schneidersladen in town to try new stuffs every weeks or even to buy some basic equipments like patch cables.
I used to dig a lot via youtube / muffwiggler at the begining and learned a lot by myself but it’s better to have people around and learn from each other’s.
For sure, I live a bit out of the way so I don't know that there's many enthusiasts in my area. I'm not too far from the city but I'm not looking to drive out there for meetups and such. Maybe I'll start a local meetup group and wait to get that all important second member! I'm sure jamming with others would be a great experience.

The_hitcher
Common Wiggler

Post by The_hitcher » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:05 am

Luke2020 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:09 pm
The_hitcher wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:04 pm
Luke2020 wrote:

i appreciate that, but am done shopping now.
Fair enough, I wouldn't ask for money. I think it would be cool to help someone out like that. Sometimes my buddy will send me ableton sets and I'll use his midi to record some of my other synths into the set and send it back. He doesn't have any hardware so it's cool to add some depth and texture to his stuff.

Bhang
Common Wiggler

Post by Bhang » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:51 am

How about sharing some simple processes instead of patches. I love watching Divkid for precisely this reason. He explores each module and uses it for a variety of different functions. Every now and then he will use a module in a way I never thought of. For example; Using a Turing Machine for bit reduction. Never occurred to me even though it is quite obvious when you think about it.
I am most interested in learning new processes and keeping it simple might allow users to share ideas without the need & headache of explaining entire patches.

The VCV rack idea sounds interesting on paper, but to be honest, In my experience VCV modules do not usually behave like their hardware counterparts.

The_hitcher
Common Wiggler

Post by The_hitcher » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:56 am

Bhang wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:51 am
How about sharing some simple processes instead of patches. I love watching Divkid for precisely this reason. He explores each module and uses it for a variety of different functions. Every now and then he will use a module in a way I never thought of. For example; Using a Turing Machine for bit reduction. Never occurred to me even though it is quite obvious when you think about it.
I am most interested in learning new processes and keeping it simple might allow users to share ideas without the need & headache of explaining entire patches.

The VCV rack idea sounds interesting on paper, but to be honest, In my experience VCV modules do not usually behave like their hardware counterparts.
For sure, it's not really about creating a piece of music so much as it is a fresh perspective on your kit. Without a meetup group or in-person access to more experienced users, this is the next best thing.

sylvainstg
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sylvainstg » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:09 am

The_hitcher wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:56 am

For sure, it's not really about creating a piece of music so much as it is a fresh perspective on your kit. Without a meetup group or in-person access to more experienced users, this is the next best thing.
I am looking for ways to replace the in-person learnings... Being rather new to modular, the pandemic killed my learning process I was doing just by visiting a store, exploring and listening to conversations around...

Anything virtually organized is happening on this front somehow?

The_hitcher
Common Wiggler

Post by The_hitcher » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:13 am

I'd like to know about it if there is. I don't have a ton of time in the garage, but when I get the chance, I like to be learning and or jamming with efficiency.

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:42 am

There are also those of us who are control freaks and not always so social. I learned everything from simply sitting down and playing with it. Putting patch cables in and seeing what happens. Also I rotate my modules a lot so I don’t get muscle memory and keep doing the same things with the same modules. My studio is my escape from everything, and I choose to keep it that way!
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

The_hitcher
Common Wiggler

Post by The_hitcher » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:33 pm

3hands wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:42 am
There are also those of us who are control freaks and not always so social. I learned everything from simply sitting down and playing with it. Putting patch cables in and seeing what happens. Also I rotate my modules a lot so I don’t get muscle memory and keep doing the same things with the same modules. My studio is my escape from everything, and I choose to keep it that way!
I hear you. I'm a bit of a socially anxious extrovert. It's weird. I'll bet having a scope probably helps understanding how signals are passed around a system. I might have to get into that.

Zerius
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zerius » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:56 pm

I see your all points there guys. Most of the time I keep my rack patched for weeks and explore each possibilities I can get and will try to reproduce the sounds I like the most from this patch or chain of effects. Being able to reproduce sounds I like the most is very pleasant.
Regarding the original post, I would recommend reading thru the forum for each subtopics that concern your modules. It can literally be a gold mine for fresh ideas or technics, YT videos from reviewers that you would miss or even users with patch’s details.

The_hitcher
Common Wiggler

Post by The_hitcher » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:31 am

Same. My system stays patched for some time. I don't get a lot of time out in the garage so when I do, the case might not even get turned on as I'd be working in Ableton or whatever that day. I'm admittedly not a manual reader as I can't seem to retain information in that way. However, even the most basic of videos can turn me on to something I didn't know. MW is a great resource. Pretty slow at work right now so maybe I'll dive into a couple module-centered threads.

Return to “Synthesis Techniques”