Extralife Instruments Super Sixteen sequencer - now on Kickstarter!

Creator of of the Super Sixteen Sequencer and based in San Francisco. This is a DIY and Finished Good product for Eurorack.

Moderators: Kent, extralifedisco

extralifedisco
Learning to Wiggle

Extralife Instruments Super Sixteen sequencer - now on Kickstarter!

Post by extralifedisco » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:50 pm

Very excited to announce that the Super Sixteen, my 100% open-source/open-hardware CV sequencer just launched on Kickstarter! Here is the campaign page:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ex ... cer-module

super-sixteen-day-em2.jpg
It's a monophonic CV sequencer with pitch CV, velocity CV, and gate outputs with up to 64 steps per sequence (in 4 pages of 16). It stores up to 99 sequences in patch memory, and is just 22HP wide. Some of its additional features include:

- selectable chromatic and diatonic scales
- fully adjustable swing timing
- motion recording for pitch, octave, duration, velocity
- per-step glide/portamento
- real-time rhythm and pitch effects like beat repeat and stutter roll

Pricing is $325 for the complete module, or just $40 for the PCB/panel/CPU set for DIY builders.

If you've been following over on the DIY forum, you will have seen the videos I've posted about the module development process and demoing some of the features - here's the playlist and a hands-on interactive demo I did a while back. I'll be uploading some newer feature demos and tutorials over the next few weeks as well. Thanks for checking it out! Let me know if I can provide any further details or specifications.

Last edited by extralifedisco on Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

blaythe.steuer
Common Wiggler

Re: Extralife Instruments Super Sixteen sequencer - now on Kickstarter!

Post by blaythe.steuer » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:13 pm

wow this looks really neat! I hope it does well

Tonescape
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonescape » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:29 pm

Very cool! Have been following your endeavours on and off, so I am happy to see you have reached this point.

Will you supply panel files/details as well?

KittenVillage
Common Wiggler

Post by KittenVillage » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:42 am

I've enjoyed your videos. Many thanks for offering such an affordable DIY option!

Eurorack is an exercise in delayed desire.

Tonescape
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonescape » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:57 am

Pledged! Looking forward to building it :)

circuitburst
Wiggling with Experience

Post by circuitburst » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:21 pm

Good luck with your Super Sixteen sequencer Kickstarter! Your sequencer has some interesting new ideas. I watched all 8 videos in the series and appreciate you taking the time to document your journey and educate others with your lessons learned.

Weird coincidence, but there was another Arduino-based sequencer (Meta Sequencer by Microbe Modular) released about 5 years ago from San Francisco. It was only 6 HP, so much more streamlined in many ways:
viewtopic.php?t=127301
"make the events occur that you want to occur" - the black dog

https://soundcloud.com/circuitburst
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/295055
:boat: World Map of Eurorack Module Manufacturers: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... 9IMDP34-ao
World Map of Eurorack Module Physical Shops: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... gfSeJ6wVIG

extralifedisco
Learning to Wiggle

Post by extralifedisco » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:52 pm

Thanks for the kind words and support! I'm readying a new sequencing demo now, hopefully up tomorrow. As far as panel files, what are you looking for exactly? The illustrator files are in the repository if you want to fab your own at home. I know people also like to use PCB panels but that's not something I have experience with - though I assume it would just mean exporting to bitmap and importing into kicad?

In an even weirder coincidence, Bret of microbe modular lives literally right down the street from me! We bumped into each other a while back, and in fact I have a m3ta sequencer sitting on the desk right now. It's quite a different beast, I would say it's more built around generative and algorithmic semi-random sequencing rather than programming. I love the little virtual VFD LED bubble display, would use one but I wanted a bit more visibility on the 16. It's quite useful as a random voltage source, can quite easily stand in for noise+S&H in a pinch.
DSC01097.jpg

extralifedisco
Learning to Wiggle

Post by extralifedisco » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:21 pm

Just finished up this quick tutorial video on programming, editing, and saving sequences on the Super Sixteen:

It's a really fun workflow to get into, you can use the button grid to program rhythm patterns and the 4 knobs to program note data and expression. It combines the power of a full-featured MIDI editor with none of the mouse clicking, and the flexibility and analog power of control voltage. The real-time recording combined with scale quantization make it really easy to spin up quasi-random new ideas and then tweak them to taste.
In the next tutorial I'll dive more into the advanced sequencing features and rhythm/pitch effects. Let me know if there's anything in particular you'd like to see!

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:10 pm

Lovely. Hope you get funded. Love the interface and price.

I didn’t see a general pledge option.
THUMPR BC SC

circuitburst
Wiggling with Experience

Post by circuitburst » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:53 pm

A few things...
- Keep the interesting tutorial videos coming.
- Congrats on getting the 25 early bird backers on Kickstarter.
- Such a small world where two developers of Arduino-based Eurorack sequencer modules live in the same neighborhood!
- How will firmware updates be performed on the Super Sixteen? Using the USB Arduino programmer was a bit of a pain on the Meta sequencer, which is why I am asking.
"make the events occur that you want to occur" - the black dog

https://soundcloud.com/circuitburst
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/295055
:boat: World Map of Eurorack Module Manufacturers: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... 9IMDP34-ao
World Map of Eurorack Module Physical Shops: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... gfSeJ6wVIG

extralifedisco
Learning to Wiggle

Post by extralifedisco » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:52 pm

circuitburst wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:53 pm
- How will firmware updates be performed on the Super Sixteen? Using the USB Arduino programmer was a bit of a pain on the Meta sequencer, which is why I am asking.
Thanks very much! Regarding firmware, updates are possible via the 6-pin ICSP header - a standard USB AVR programmer is great for this (I like this $7 one from pololu) or an arduino uno also works. Regrettably I am not clever enough to figure out how to do it via audio jack and front panel inputs, at least not yet! Maybe someone can help me figure out if that's possible without hardware changes. I will certainly provide binary files and instructions for updates via avrdude on mac/pc, although the toolchain required is very straightforward Arduino stuff if you just want to install from source!

This week's video is a change of pace, decided to try and cover a classic and put the sequencer through its 303 paces! The drums are also all-eurorack, with Hexinverter's "neinohnein" modules doing the bulk of the work and Squarp's brilliant Rample handling the sample duty. Also featured is my modded LMNC "big button" trigger seq, which I will have another vid up on next week I hope.

MoyaMoya
Common Wiggler

Post by MoyaMoya » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:58 pm

I'm in for a PCB panel set! :tu:

Tonescape
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonescape » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:25 am

Super impressed by that Daft Punk jam!!! The 303 sequence is pretty close to spot on and the interaction that is possible with the super sixteen just got me even more excited!

didahdrieghe
Common Wiggler

Post by didahdrieghe » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:13 pm

Backed for a pcb/panel set. Great work so far, really wishing you well with this! Love your youtube videos as well.

extralifedisco
Learning to Wiggle

Post by extralifedisco » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:26 pm

Heading into the home stretch and we're 62% funded! Incredibly grateful for the support shown so far. Just need to get a few more folks onboard, so please share with your synthy friends and DIY pals!

This week I dove in and blacked out recreating 10 classic basslines on the Super SIxteen - with plenty of electro, acid, and house to go around. Enjoy!

hirnlego
Wiggling with Experience

Post by hirnlego » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:42 am

Backed, good luck!

Schrank
Common Wiggler

Post by Schrank » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:12 pm

Lovely! :love:
Don‘t really have any spare synth money for the next few months but will back it anyway :omg:

resynthesize
Wiggling with Experience

Post by resynthesize » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:21 pm

backed for a pcb/panel set as well, hoping for successful funding!

Schrank
Common Wiggler

Post by Schrank » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:37 pm

So, just backed. We need more backers for the built module, it would need a lot of pcb/panel sets to get to the 25k goal

Shoggoth
Common Wiggler

Post by Shoggoth » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:17 pm

Hey man - you should put out a demo of the more exotic Mutate features! I’m backing now - hope this gets funded!

Schrank
Common Wiggler

Post by Schrank » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:09 pm

Shoggoth wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:17 pm
Hey man - you should put out a demo of the more exotic Mutate features! I’m backing now - hope this gets funded!
Here is some of that stuff covered:

I really hope the super sixteen gets funded, if not I'm gonna get me a soldering iron, learn to use it and make my own.
That sequencer hits a sweet spot for me. It as all the feauteres I want, while still being simple and seemingly fun to use. Only thing I miss is ratcheting, but since it's open source anybody that can write code could add such functionality.

Does anybody know if it's possible to pledge for more than one thing on kickstarter? For example two built modules or one built module and a panel/pcb kit?

Shoggoth
Common Wiggler

Post by Shoggoth » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:23 pm

100% what I was looking for - thanks! I love the fact that it’s geared towards performance. I’m curious - can you apply a subdivision on an individual step? Or more generally, can you apply targeted, per step mutations outside of the ‘performance recording’ approach to mutations?

Schrank
Common Wiggler

Post by Schrank » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:47 pm

Yes that would be awesome! Judging from the video it‘s not yet possible to record the mutate functions, not sure though, will have to watch the video again. Once that is implemented it would be a given to also enable step editing of the mutate stuff.

extralifedisco
Learning to Wiggle

Post by extralifedisco » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:53 pm

Interesting ideas! Recording mutations is not implemented. It is theoretically possible, although I can see a number of possible ways it would be implemented which imply radically different approaches. E.g. it could be implemented the same as glide, on/off for each step plus a byte data parameter for its depth. However that would be quite difficult to edit once recorded as there aren't indicated controls. Alternately I was thinking of using REC+MUTATE as a way to lock the mutate mode on, would be nice for transpose, octave shift, beat repeat to create smaller loops etc. Alternately still they could overwrite the recorded note data with mutated notes. Would love to have some more detailed ideas as to how people envision using the mutations - hope to do another tutorial video with a more thorough demo of those functions soon.

The Kickstarter is close but looking unlikely to meet the threshold at the moment. Still incredibly grateful and humbled by the response! Obviously this would change the production plan but it should still be possible to get some boards and modules made on a smaller scale - I plan to post a quick video about next steps tomorrow once the result is in.

carsenic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by carsenic » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:32 am

Backed yesterday for the panel/PCB set, such a cool sequencer!

Return to “Extralife Instruments”