MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New AniModule: VC Scanner/Switch (with demo)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author New AniModule: VC Scanner/Switch (with demo)
JRock
Introducing the:
AniModule Voltage Controlled Scanner/Switch
8hp ~ 40mm deep
This Module has 4 inputs and 1 output.
The inputs accept Bipolar signals (audio) OR DC (CVs).
The input channel routed to the output is selected by the voltage patched to either the DC or the AC jack.
The Offset pot allows you to adjust the offset of the incoming CVs.
The DC jack has an attenuator to allow you to scale the CVs.
The AC jack is scaled for ~10Vp-p.
This module will function properly all the way into super sonic frequencies.

I've had fun by patching the LP,BP,HP and Notch outs of my SOB (To be released in eurorack soon!!) into the four inputs and VC'ing the VCSS with a sine wave running at the same rate as the square wave I have patched in to the SOB Input. So for every ON/OFF of the Square Wave, the VCSS cycles through LP,BP,HP,Notch,HP,BP,LP

You might think about patching 4 sequencers in to it and VC'ing it with a Sample and Hold or Logic, for an ever-evolving melody...

I'm going to put it up in my For Sale Thread now and get a page set up on my website tomorrow. I'll post some video up soon as well.
JRock
Link to the ForSale Page

I'll add the link when I get the webpage together
monstrinho
JRock wrote:

This module will function properly all the way into super sonic frequencies.

I'm guessing this means it will work with video then?? Could be verrrry interesting...
JRock
I couldn't say for sure, as I have no means of testing it.
It will go higher than the audible range.
The slowest components the signals go through would be the V2164 or the TL07X.
I am under the impression that the TL07X were too slow for video, but I honestly have no experience in the matter.
Hopefully somebody in the know will chime in
JRock
Here's the page on my website
AniModule.com
Voltage Controlled Scanner/Switch
nickciontea
You would want a LM6172 to function in the video world more effectively
JRock
thanks nickciontea
That might work thumbs up
So long as the V2164 can keep up.
The PCB has a ground plane.
I could definitely be persuaded to swap the TL072 with a LM6172.
mojopin
This has a make noise design vibe that i like. Let't hear that demo now!
JRock
Thanks thumbs up
I'm working on the demo. It's taking a minute though.
My laptop with the camera isn't getting an internet connection in my work area, and this computer doesn't have a camera hihi

I'll get something to post up soon! hyper
JRock
8_)
Got some demo:

More to come thumbs up
Al
Are there any audible clicks or pops as the different channels are cycled or is there some kind of "crossfading" going on?

There would be no problem using this as a regular 4>1 audio mixer, right? Clean sound?
JRock
Al wrote:
Are there any audible clicks or pops as the different channels are cycled or is there some kind of "crossfading" going on?

There would be no problem using this as a regular 4>1 audio mixer, right? Clean sound?

The signal path is clean. There's not a whole lot of circuitry it has to travel through.

I wouldn't use it as a conventional mixer though, because only one channel appears at the output at a time. You can scan at a very high frequency, but you will hear some artifacts from the channels switching.

There can be a slight click when you switch waveforms at a non zero point.
Say you switched from the peak of a sine to the middle of a ramp, that effectively creates a small pulse and you're going to hear it, just like you would on your sampler if you chop at a non zero point.

It's very minimized and I haven't had any problems with it.
There is a small overlap when the LM3914 switches channels
As well as the little RC lowpass smoothing filter I placed in with the switching circuitry.

You could increase the value of the smoothing cap on the switches, and slow the transistion even more, but that would decrease the maximum frequency you could effectively scan at.

I'd be happy to do that for you, but be aware of the tradeoff.
poladark
If you switch between the inputs and the input waveform amplitudes/phases don't match well you'll get pops/clicks/hum/whine. When you do match amplitudes however, it sounds very cool. It can work as a "sort of mixer" for phase locked signals that way but it's not really a proper mixer.

Please correct me if i'm wrong though.
JRock
You got it thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1