MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Who wants a new Arp 2600 besides ME?!?!?!?!?!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Author Who wants a new Arp 2600 besides ME?!?!?!?!?!
home_listening
roginator wrote:

BUT im not sure where to get Sliders and rare transistors...
:(

I've used 60mm Alpha faders a number of times and I think they feel nice. For something bigger (and potentially popular) like the 2600, I'd say its better to find modern replacement transistors.
pelican
everyone has their own opinion on sound. Couple years ago I had an orange and black model fully modded out by cms and I hated it. Most sterile boring synth I ever owned. Sold it, and only regret it because of the inflated prices now...not because of the 2600 itself.

no way would I buy a reissue unless it was cheap at like 2 grand which will never happen.
thetwlo
pelican wrote:
everyone has their own opinion on sound. Couple years ago I had an orange and black model fully modded out by cms and I hated it. Most sterile boring synth I ever owned. Sold it, and only regret it because of the inflated prices now...not because of the 2600 itself.

no way would I buy a reissue unless it was cheap at like 2 grand which will never happen.

have you used an old un-modded one? I think age and those crappy op amps added a lot of character, the old "moog" filter(earlier than yours) was more flexible than the Moog, I really think older parts and aging is where these synths get a lot of the "character" CMS improves them to modern standards or to make them more functionally superior, not sure that's always better.
pelican
No, I've never had a greyface
zthee
So I started this topic cause I've been thinking about the 2600.

A while back on another forum, the question about how close this 2600 clone wast o the original. And it kind of got me going.

I've never been particularly interested in neither ARP nor the 2600 before. Sure it's a cool synthesizer, but I've been too busy with building a modular so I haven't really paid it any attention. But anyway, this really caught my attention, and I knew I had to make one.

Downloaded the service manual, and noticed there was nothing really special about the machine. Sure a few double FET that can be found on E-bay, and some other transistors which other ARP builders have found substitutes for. So a lot of the work had already been done. So I fired up Eagle and started working...

The plan is to make PCB's and panels and sell. I've got a guy who might do complete ones, but I'm not 100% sure, and it might all go down the drain. But it's his company and his decision, so I'll leave that for later. And my idea might go down the drain depending on legal issues and so on. Though I haven't used the company name in the project anywhere. But I don't know if that really matters or not...

I still have a lot of question marks regarding that stuff.

In the mean time, I'll make at least one for myself and a few for my friends.

The original 2600 is a beast, and as some people has jokingly said before it should be 86% of the size. And I agree. Hence I've made it smaller. Though not really 86%, more closely to 73% or something. It measures 60 cm x 30 cm now (About the size of a original Korg MS-20 funny enough).

Big PCB - http://thehumancomparator.net/arp2600/2600-board.png

Everything is prewired and PCB mounted on the board. Slides and jacks. So there is minimal wiring to be done. (CV, gate + trig and speakers.).

All modules have their own power connection, so you can test build them one and one, with out worrying about toasting something in one corner just because you pop in a chip the wrong way in the other corner. PSU hasn't been decided yet. But looking after a good and reliable DC-DC converter, which is capable of providing a few amps for not so many dollars.

The sliders are Bourns PTA and they have a LED on them. If you don't like it, you can get caps for them. You can select the brightness of the LEDs with a trim pot on the front panel.

Modules chosen are 4027-1 and the original 4012.

The oscillators are still mounted on the small pesky sub modules, the same goes with the S&H. The rest of the sub modules have been moved down to the big board. To simplify the building process. The amp for the speakers have been changed though, to a TD2030 based circuit. But since it isn't a critical part of the design, I felt that I could poke my dirt little fingers in it.

There will be no changes to anything else. No extra this or remove this. It stays as it is. Doesn't matter if it would be the best synth in the world with an extra ADSR. It's not happening.

I'm currently at the stage where I need to build a prototype and see if I can get it working. If I can, then we'll take if from there. (And we'll see what this post generates, a lot of "You'll get sued" or "Go ahead!" - If it's a lot of the previous, then I guess it won't happen...).

The estimation is to have something ready by September. But nothing is written in stone. And as I said before, there's still a lot of question marks...
ersatzplanet
If you want to find out who owns the rights to the original ARP2600 all you have to do is start remaking them. The rights holder will come out of the shadows with all their lawyers and introduce them selves.
nickster
Zthee
Ive been waiting for ages to read this post. Count me most definitely interested in PCBs or whatever you eventually come up with. I think it's amazing that you have taken on this project. Basically the 2600 is the synth I am most interested in and the one that turned me towards modular in the first place. As fully populated new PCBs are already on offer on eBay I can't imagine you are going to run into too much trouble. Anyways in a nutshell. Go for it. You will make a lot of people very happy.

Edit may I suggest you post this in the DIY forum perhaps it will be more relevant to folks over there?
whoop_john
I hear today Gibson just destroyed Wurlitzer also, Deutsche Wurlitzer having become insolvent. I'm talking jukeboxes here.

I wouldn't have an Arp 2600.
Drumdrumdrumdrum
Im glad this is going ahead. Like many here, the 2600 is the main reason I got into modular.

I personally like the original size, however, I understand that many would want to be able to take it on the subway or bus with them. As long as you don't use those fiddly mini-jacks, I don't really care how big or small it is.

Looking forward to more info. Cheers
tronabetes
woah very interested, am I applause
delayed
Neat. Following where this goes.
pelican
I love synths with built in reverb and speakers. Making them truly portable. If you are going to make tolex cases though the price will jump fast.
myecholalia
Wow, I would certainly be interested as well in any updates on this project. If this really goes anywhere, please add me to the list of people interested, especially for a completely built one.
blue_lu
Enjoy the show! lookin good
Pfurmel
I'd definitely build one of these if it goes ahead.
jonbstevens
If it wasn't outlandishly expensive I'd probably try and build one of these too.
moog55
Had a gray face for a few years and sold it. Have regretted it ever since. Count me in on this.
Thaknar
zthee wrote:

In the mean time, I'll make at least one for myself and a few for my friends.

can I be one of your friends smile pretty please!!??

I'm totally down for a build one (or a DIY one if someone DIY it for me confused )

hyper
limpmeat
I would buy pcbs and a panel in a heartbeat!

been wanting an arp since forever
simfonik
I'd love to buy a panel and pcb set if that becomes an option.
sduck
zthee, put me in the definitely wanting this, have the money ready, make it go category.
AnalogBastard
w00t!! Want !
meatbeatz
I was hoping this would be the reason for this thread. I'm glad I tuned back in. Please make it happen!
widdly
Looks amazing Zhee. I'd be totally down.
Pfurmel
Also, I enjoyed reading the back story of ARP posted a few pages back. As CW said, it would be so good to hear more of the story from those who were there at the time.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Page 5 of 15