Metasonix mixer?

A place to discuss the brutal yellow evil we all love so much.

Moderators: Kent, metasonix

numan7
the most autistic amongst us

Metasonix mixer?

Post by numan7 » Tue May 07, 2013 8:24 pm

has :metasonix: ever considered offering a big (42hp) yellow tube mixer module (say with 4 inputs with offset, attenuation and pan controls with voltage control over attenuation and pan amounts, 2 return/link inputs, 2 main outputs with voltage control over level and 2 send/link outputs) as a future addition to the R-series module lineup?

cheers
"well keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel..." :driving:

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Wed May 08, 2013 12:08 am

Boom!

burnn_out!
deep fried intoxicated wiggler

Post by burnn_out! » Wed May 08, 2013 3:23 am

yeah lets make that but a euro version :sb:
born in bathsalts..

If your not dead you might as well be dancing, and if your not dancing you might as well be dead. - windspirit

metasonix
Tube Pioneer

Re: Metasonix mixer?

Post by metasonix » Wed May 08, 2013 11:37 pm

numan7 wrote:has :metasonix: ever considered offering a big (42hp) yellow tube mixer module (say with 4 inputs with offset, attenuation and pan controls with voltage control over attenuation and pan amounts, 2 return/link inputs, 2 main outputs with voltage control over level and 2 send/link outputs)
That would require at least 6 tubes (bare minimum for line level inputs), cost over $1000 and be a lot bigger than 42hp. Send-return is a real problem with tube electronics, because there have to be solid-state buffers or tube buffers (cathode followers) so it can be connected to solid-state outboard gear. Then you're talking 10 tubes, $1500 and won't fit in a Euro rack at all.

Still want it? Loan me $20k to get panels and PCBs made. :tu:

numan7

Re: Metasonix mixer?

Post by numan7 » Fri May 10, 2013 5:29 am

metasonix wrote:
numan7 wrote:has :metasonix: ever considered offering a big (42hp) yellow tube mixer module (say with 4 inputs with offset, attenuation and pan controls with voltage control over attenuation and pan amounts, 2 return/link inputs, 2 main outputs with voltage control over level and 2 send/link outputs)
That would require at least 6 tubes (bare minimum for line level inputs), cost over $1000 and be a lot bigger than 42hp. Send-return is a real problem with tube electronics, because there have to be solid-state buffers or tube buffers (cathode followers) so it can be connected to solid-state outboard gear. Then you're talking 10 tubes, $1500 and won't fit in a Euro rack at all.

Still want it? Loan me $20k to get panels and PCBs made. :tu:
:twisted: why yes, absolutely (and at $1500 i think can afford 2 units, which i hope will be possible to link into an 8 x 4 mixer configuration of some sort)!

:hmm: now it will take me at least several months to save up the funds to lend for initial production costs.. but i kind of like this sort of challenge. so we'll see... although, if you think it would be better to start sooner on this than next year, i can't imagine there not being at least a dozen wigglers besides myself whose desire for an M2000 (or whatever it gets called) would burn intensely enough to justify loaning you the asking price for their places in line.

i know you have previously written off kickstarter-campaign-type schemes as sucky and miserable... but.just the tbought of mixing all the diverse and ecelctic instrument audio from my studio into glowing clouds of gaseous electrons inside glass bottles for the final stage is like pure :love: to me (or something or whatever... i suppose.. it's late! :deadbanana:)... i know i would be patient and willing to bear with production delays, should any occur, and the like, so long as you came through in the end which i have not doubts you would.

:) why heck, i think i might even get the agonizer-lady (:agonizer:) tatooed on my butt for this! :hyper:

cheers

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Wed May 15, 2013 5:58 pm

just make the TM5 Euro version please!

sensanalog
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sensanalog » Wed May 15, 2013 10:41 pm

I also would be into a M2000 of some sorts. I would be happy to pay up front. Way to get the ball rolling numan7. :sb:

decaying.sine
Broken <--> Fixed

Post by decaying.sine » Wed May 15, 2013 10:44 pm

Kent wrote:Boom!

Wow. Nice Kent. Do you have of the TS line to go with that beauty?
Brian
"I must create a system or be enslaved by another mans; I will not reason and compare: my business is to create." William Blake

"Vactrols ringing, Dude." "Thank you Donny"

Cat-A-Tonic
Lobsters love Muff

Post by Cat-A-Tonic » Thu May 16, 2013 12:20 am

FatRocky wrote:just make the TM5 Euro version please!
^ Yes, please!!!

digital_steve
Muppet

Post by digital_steve » Thu May 16, 2013 12:27 am

I dunno why... but I feel like I need that mixer in my rack.
Fuck a euro version!
richard wrote:
MrBiggs wrote:serious instrument. What does that even mean?
I think it means you have to frown when you play it.
causticlogic wrote:Yeah, digital_steve spells "fun" with a capital FU...

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Thu May 16, 2013 2:13 am

decaying.sine wrote: Wow. Nice Kent. Do you have of the TS line to go with that beauty?
I do wish that I had something like that. It belongs to Michael Weeks.

equalpyramid
Common Wiggler

Post by equalpyramid » Thu May 16, 2013 1:32 pm

Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
FatRocky wrote:just make the TM5 Euro version please!
^ Yes, please!!!
+2. If more than one unit could be linked it would eliminate the need for a complete mixer unit. Something to think about.

If you guys really get desperate, I know it's not Metasonix, but it's all-tube and all-American: http://www.busbyelectronics.com/BE62.html
:animal:

wavehead
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wavehead » Thu May 16, 2013 7:55 pm

why not just do solid-state send/return to make it way more affordable? it's still coming back to main tube channels and will sound great.

definitely makes a lot more sense outside of euro... i'm sure plenty of people would be interested in it that have no interest in modulars.

the drive/saturation/distortion on this on a mix probably sounds so good. would love to hear audio of kent's unit. are the channels similar to the R-51?

metasonix
Tube Pioneer

Post by metasonix » Fri May 17, 2013 3:41 pm

a) Because Kent failed to mention it, I will: that "M-1000" was custom made in 2007 for Mike Weeks as a favor. It uses TM-5 boards as channels, and thus has massive distortion (that's what he wanted). It was VERY costly to build.

b) How costly? The only tube mixers on the market right now are the ones that Thermionic Culture, TL Audio and Manley makes. The Thermionic "Fat Bustard" costs $5899. The most basic TL model, the M1-F (recently discontinued), is more solid-state than tube, and costs about the same. The Manleys are basic line-level mixers, and cost more than $8000.

Then there's this nut on Indiegogo, trying to raise money to make tube studio electronics. And failing.

(He's in Canada, you twit.)

Conclusion: there is almost NO MARKET for tube mixers.

If you want a tube mixer with all the "usual features", those are the sort of prices you will have to pay. Even from Metasonix. (Sorry.)

slow_riot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slow_riot » Fri May 17, 2013 4:37 pm

i met someone in UK who's starting to run a "business" buying and selling valve amps... he had piles and piles of stuff that he's got for very cheap, such as tube PA equipment that no one wants.

Surely that kind of thing is worth looking into if you want to do it for cheap. DIY or some other kind of one off salvage based job.

Wasn't there someone posting here who did that?

numan7

Post by numan7 » Fri May 17, 2013 5:31 pm

:shrug: ah well, so it goes.... i guess i can just patch 4x r51s into a passive mult for tube-mixing duties (or 8x r51s and a pair of mults for stereo).

still, a yellow-on-black front panel for it (a'la s2000's) would be damn :booty: !

cheers

wavehead
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wavehead » Fri May 17, 2013 6:07 pm

i figured this was at the very least a 5K and up price, which is why i thought it would make no sense as something in euro (and i guess makes no sense at all for that matter).

probably the best way to go (without getting into human trafficking business) is just using metasonix for preamp and/or buss mix. still not even sure what would be best for this as there are a lot of options. TM-5 for raw and blown out, R51 for "cleaner" duties..?

endmusik
The Wretch

Post by endmusik » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:48 pm

this mixer is very good. I like it alot. I make the techno music with it that I play for my wife and she hasn't divorced me yet so it must be good.

equalpyramid
Common Wiggler

Post by equalpyramid » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:59 pm

metasonix wrote:(He's in Canada, you twit.)
Chill out. He mentioned something in his videos about all-American parts, and I naturally assumed he was from the states. (Only shitheads resort to name-calling.) :hihi:
:animal:

digital_steve
Muppet

Post by digital_steve » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:25 am

endmusik wrote:this mixer is very good. I like it alot. I make the techno music with it that I play for my wife and she hasn't divorced me yet so it must be good.
Fuck the mixer! I'd be happy with a Wretch Machine ;)

The mixer looks damn nice though.
richard wrote:

endmusik
The Wretch

Post by endmusik » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:37 am

digital_steve wrote:
endmusik wrote:this mixer is very good. I like it alot. I make the techno music with it that I play for my wife and she hasn't divorced me yet so it must be good.
Fuck the mixer! I'd be happy with a Wretch Machine ;)

The mixer looks damn nice though.
Fucking the mixer is not advisable :goo:

digital_steve
Muppet

Post by digital_steve » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:40 am

I'll do whatever it takes to initiate myself to the yellow lord...
richard wrote:

blz
Ultra Wiggler

Post by blz » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:11 am

Ok am I crazy or was there someone on the forum aside from Mr. Metasonix whom was authorized to build more of the mixer units that Mr. The Wretch owns?

I may be crazy?

But if i'm not is that still an option because I may in the market for a Metasonix mixer around Juneishy time.

Or does Mr. Metasonix still have the will to build one of these awesome mixers.
barcat.blogspot.com

http://waveformcity.blogspot.com/

I beat my brain tumor that makes me indestructible right???

burnn_out!
deep fried intoxicated wiggler

Post by burnn_out! » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:53 pm

blz wrote:Ok am I crazy or was there someone on the forum aside from Mr. Metasonix whom was authorized to build more of the mixer units that Mr. The Wretch owns?

I may be crazy?

But if i'm not is that still an option because I may in the market for a Metasonix mixer around Juneishy time.

Or does Mr. Metasonix still have the will to build one of these awesome mixers.
Eric did it as a one off. Zerosum was willing to build a clone quite some time ago
born in bathsalts..

If your not dead you might as well be dancing, and if your not dancing you might as well be dead. - windspirit

askthedust
Wiggling with Experience

Post by askthedust » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:33 am

Zerosum (with a little help from Eric) built me a TM-500 stereo preamp a few years ago. Basically two TM-5 with single control for both channels in a 2U rack. I love it.

Return to “Metasonix”