MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Plumbutter 2
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Author Plumbutter 2
mrbloor
Keep up people, new plumbutters thumbs up
wavecircle
Shhhhhh! razz
mrbloor
Yes people, move along, nothing to see here. (Still undecided). Although if someone in Europe want to upgrade I may purchase your old one. thumbs up
kozepz
I like the block layout and the output cv.
Are the cv controls for mwrs gone and only pushbuttons?
Looks like the aux inputs are 1/8".

Some nice stereo movent it'll be with the avdogs!

And a picture to look at when scrolling the posts hihi

chorus7
Crap... Thats all I needed... help something wonderful

Looks like something in the studio has to go...
HueMonContact
Wow I need a cigarette after seeing that and I don't even smoke.
Hainbach
One day this will find a place in my studio. love
wavecircle
The music made with the plumbutter is like a genre itself. I love the work of kozz and chess team. Dan P's short video is great too. I think I have to order, I'm totally compelled by this machine and it's design.
richard
the "genre in itself" thing actually worries me. I am very interested in this thing too, but the extant to which it always sounds like itself is concerning. Can it do "clean" for example?
numan7
richard wrote:
Can it do clean, for example?

not sure about "clean" (clean as what exactly.... or did you mean clean-as-in-vacuum-cleaner? hihi)..., but i do know that the Rollz5 can sound very mellow, depending on how you have it patched.

i really like the look of this PB version, btw. it sorta reminds me ancient egyptian hieroglyphics for some reason... hmmm.....

cheers
pugix
I'll bet the circuit board has been split into multiple boards, too. Better for maintenance. Peter can make changes to a board and it's less expensive to do those changes, since he can still use stock of the other boards. PB1 board is enormous. Only the mixer is on a separate board.

http://pugix.com/synth/dressing-plumbutter/

AVDog (VCO + VCA + ringing filter envelope generator) is 'stereo' on PB1, too. The red jack is the inverse VCA of the white one. Only the white one goes to the output mixer.
windspirit
richard wrote:
Can it do "clean" for example?

I think you might be in the wrong subforum :p peter's instruments, even when they sound pretty, rarely sound "clean".

That being said I think the plumbutter is capable of making a pretty unlimited variety of sounds if one steps away from the most obvious patching paradigm of rolls -> drums -> modulating stuff, however it is a valid concern that most of the sounds that come from it have that plumbutter quality. I happen to like it, but understand if its not for all.

The new plumbutters are very beautiful grin
haesslich
pugix wrote:
I'll bet the circuit board has been split into multiple boards, too. Better for maintenance

also makes it easier to combine parts for new instruments, like a plumbutter without deerhorn, but with coco (which i'd love to see). or similar things.
richard
I have a tetrazzi and a sidrassi and my perception is that my tetrazzi can sound quite clear and pure but my sidrassi can't really - its useful area of the function is nearly all in the more noisy areas. I suppose what I mean by clean is that the Serge, Bugbrand and Cwejman resonant filters I have can all make a very satisfying sine-pong as well as getting a grungy as you like when uisng FM and crossmodulation. So I'd want to able to do something like that as well as glitching on a $1333 drumbox, however weird.

So I guess what I am asking is the plumbutter basically a highly complex glitch machine - or does it have other aspects too? Windspirit's "pretty unlimited variety of sounds" seems to suggest the latter thumbs up
Pascal
I use the sidrazzi in the lower part of Kiosk mainly for feeding the Coco, it can be sound quite clear, those triangle waves beating each other often remind me of windchimes, it can be noisy and speaking the truth I prefer the touch nodes instead of the bananas, no Tetrazzi or Tetrax experience but from demos I hear it does sound more harsh than the Sid due to the saw waves

Butter, the gong sound is amazing plus the resonator, both fantastic in sound, would like a more lower freq response in the dog, no bleed in the mixer from each part when they don't get triggered but that's it, it makes a great instrument to play with, love it and speaking the truth new design don't match my taste, it looks like some kind of mexican food or salad
richard
are you saying the mixer bleeds Pascal?
Pascal
with nothing patched at the green trigger inputs both dog, gong and ultrasound filter bleed at the mixer, you can shut it down by pulling the switch of dog and gong at the middle (which is off) but on the filter you have to take the level down if you wish to have no bleed at all, can make some nice drone sounds this way though
wavecircle
Any instrument that can define it's own genre must be a good thing. It just shows the depth of the design. I am sure the PB is capable of clean, steady meter stuff, it's just when it's so intuitive to experiment you tend not to go that way. It's still a relatively new thing too. I'd wager that most users tend to plug and play and see what happens. More experienced users will be familiar with how each part works and therefore can vary their work on it. I suppose it might be up there with Serge in that respect, it is accessible in the way that it promotes experiment but beneath will be years of exploration learning the idiosyncrasies. I hope so anyway.
wednesdayayay
today I had a bass, mic, shnth, and soundplane running aalto going into the plumbutter all that was running through a dan echo pedal which was being modulated by the one of the rolls cv outputs.
richard
Anyone in Berlin got a plumbutter I can twat about with for couple of hours?
pas
It really does look like Mexican food...haha
numan7
meh mexican food in packaging labeled with egyptian hieroglyphics, ha! hihi

hmmm..... now that you mention it, buchla's panels sort of remind me of seafood - tunas and seabass! Goldfish

cookie?!?: hmm, i'm starting to get hungry!

cheers
windspirit
@richard: i'd say your best bet for "tonal" stuff would be to mess around with the gongs. They are my favorite part of this machine and they surprise me all the time. Running them both on the same clock and messing with the divisions (manually or with CV) quickly creates some interesting polyrhythms. Dunno if that qualifies for "clean" but to me it is very beautiful, which is just as good grin.

Id say calling the PB a "drum machine" is almost a tongue-in-cheek joke by Peter, as it does so much more than just create rhythms but it makes what I guess one might call "drama", as in the rhythms it creates feel almost like a natural language or like someone's speech patterns. The drum nodes were originally conceived of as "reptile brain neurons" which is a great metaphor I think. Plus it's great to see people's reactions when they say "what the hell is that" and I say "its a drum machine." hihi
phisynth
Yeah, despite the CV'able mixer being a nice new feature, I'm not crazy about the new look either (and having just bought a v1, I'm glad I'm not) wink
About cleanliness, I think it can sound pretty clean, but it's missing a big part of the fun
kozepz
It could be nice when those modules would be available separately, being more modular, and building your own kiosk, or a wooden framework where you can slide the modules in w00t
richard
I haven't been so stuck/confused over something since I discovered LPGs.

I think I need a CL therapist
mrbloor
richard wrote:

All I know is LPG is cheaper than petrol, now tell me about your childhood?
pugix
richard wrote:

Plumbutter is distinctive. It's a bit deceptive in that it looks kinda modular, and it's easy to make sounds. But a lot of the easy to make sounds are just those that 'sound like itself'. In order to get more out of it you have to really study and learn to play it. I've been spending some time with my PB in the last few days and learning more about it. One thing I've learned is that I have to go more slowly, making a small part of a patch, studying how it behaves. For example I learned more about the envelope outs from the Gongue. The Orange sits about 7 volts, the Gray at about 4.5 volts (but the Gray is AC-coupled and droops) when untriggered. When the trigger gets through the delay, both of these outputs will fall at the rate determined by the pot that sits between them and the blue CV input jacks. Try using those outputs to CV something else (like Ultrasound) and don't listen to the Gongue. You'll learn.

If you just patch and twiddle away, you might accidentally find some unusual results (i.e. 'not like itself'), but I think it takes study to know how to do this. The purple CV inputs with reversible pot have their own sensitivity that needs study. I found that impatience prevented me from studying Plumbutter at first, it's so easy to make sounds with it.

Whatever Peter's reasons for the redesign, I'm happy to have one of the originals. Sometimes a designer, even as brilliant as Peter, can get into unnecessary refinements. I was talking with someone about the art of painting and we got onto the topic of how the artist decides that a painting is done. When is any design 'done'? (Software is notorious for never being done.) I believe that often it's when the first inspiration comes together that the design is at its most concise. Just because an engineer keeps improving a design doesn't mean that older versions become lesser. They are still what they were, and that can be still great, but different. The Rollz is still a great design, though it evolved into Lab Rollz (Plumbutter).
pugix
richard wrote:

Plumbutter is distinctive. It's a bit deceptive in that it looks kinda modular, and it's easy to make sounds. But a lot of the easy to make sounds are just those that 'sound like itself'. In order to get more out of it you have to really study and learn to play it. I've been spending some time with my PB in the last few days and learning more about it. One thing I've learned is that I have to go more slowly, making a small part of a patch, studying how it behaves. For example I learned more about the envelope outs from the Gongue. The Orange sits about 7 volts, the Gray at about 4.5 volts (but the Gray is AC-coupled and droops) when untriggered. When the trigger gets through the delay, both of these outputs will fall at the rate determined by the pot that sits between them and the blue CV input jacks. Try using those outputs to CV something else (like Ultrasound) and don't listen to the Gongue. You'll learn.

If you just patch and twiddle away, you might accidentally find some unusual results (i.e. 'not like itself'), but I think it takes study to know how to do this. The purple CV inputs with reversible pot have their own sensitivity that needs study. I found that impatience prevented me from studying Plumbutter at first, it's so easy to make sounds with it.

Whatever Peter's reasons for the redesign, I'm happy to have one of the originals. Sometimes a designer, even as brilliant as Peter, can get into unnecessary refinements. I was talking with someone about the art of painting and we got onto the topic of how the artist decides that a painting is done. When is any design 'done'? (Software is notorious for never being done.) I believe that often it's when the first inspiration comes together that the design is at its most concise. Just because an engineer keeps improving a design doesn't mean that older versions become lesser. They are still what they were, and that can be still great, but different. The Rollz is still a great design, though it evolved into Lab Rollz (Plumbutter).
kozepz
Exploring and studying no mather what order, but enjoy the rollz feeding eachother and the gongs input and fm and enjoy the voodoo drums with sub basslines and subtles modulations for hours.

Plumbutter has just the most beautifull low w00t
wavecircle
It would be interesting if someone made a 4/4 x0x style rhythm with it. I like the idea of starting that way and completely subverting the rhythms slowly. I have to wait until payday. :(
kozepz
Unfotunately my mac died on me, I have a few techno recordings made with plumbutter. Steady 4/4 hh inbetween without shuffle feeling.

Hopefully it'll be made in a few weeks so I can restore my data and upload it, now I am not able to record anything.

But for me the interesting part is creating those organic question-answer drum bassline modulaions.

EDIT
Yes xox style kicks can be easily made. Gong in trad position for 808, gong in gonz mode and some fm ing for 909 ish.
The same for congas, toms or clapz.

The need for gongues is great razz
Or a double plumbutter hihi
wavecircle
Haha, as cool as the doubles are finances and a desire to figure this thing out prevent me from doing so. Just over 2 weeks until payday :(
kozepz
wavecircle wrote:
Haha, as cool as the doubles are finances and a desire to figure this thing out prevent me from doing so. Just over 2 weeks until payday :(

Hehe, if it makes you feel better, dont do the double, but pair it with a coco nanners
wavecircle
I can't really figure out the Cocoquantus. I understand the delay bits (I think) but that middle thing is indecipherable from watching videos. I was thinking about an Eventide Space and Strymon Timeline. The Coco is interesting but I really don't know enough about it. Hard to get also. I think I would want it in banana. Meng Qi does great work. His Rollz5 looks very interesting. 4 AVdogs, 4 Gongs and 4 Ultrasounds I think. Plus all them Rollz.
mrbloor
Wavecircle, if I was in your shoes

single plumbutter
strymon bluesky
strymon el capistan
meng qi rolls 5 (built it, very easy).
tetrax

thats all you need right there, but what do I know I just bought a cocoquantus thumbs up
pugix
wavecircle wrote:
I can't really figure out the Cocoquantus. I understand the delay bits (I think) but that middle thing is indecipherable from watching videos.

Ah, that middle thing (Quantussy). MY ASS IS BLEEDING It's the most fascinating to me of all of Peter's designs. Much work to decipher it, for sure. I am building a whole synthesizer based on ideas found in the Quantussy.
mrbloor
[quote="sungja"]^ I thought the CQ was out of production.

Tisnotnew
wavecircle
pugix wrote:
wavecircle wrote:
I can't really figure out the Cocoquantus. I understand the delay bits (I think) but that middle thing is indecipherable from watching videos.

Ah, that middle thing (Quantussy). MY ASS IS BLEEDING It's the most fascinating to me of all of Peter's designs. Much work to decipher it, for sure. I am building a whole synthesizer based on ideas found in the Quantussy.

Is it that deep? What's great about it?
aethersprite
http://pugix.com/synth/quartussy/
kozepz
wavecircle wrote:
I can't really figure out the Cocoquantus. I understand the delay bits (I think) but that middle thing is indecipherable from watching videos. I was thinking about an Eventide Space and Strymon Timeline. The Coco is interesting but I really don't know enough about it. Hard to get also. I think I would want it in banana. Meng Qi does great work. His Rollz5 looks very interesting. 4 AVdogs, 4 Gongs and 4 Ultrasounds I think. Plus all them Rollz.

Yeah, MQ's instruments are awesome!
pugix
aethersprite wrote:
http://pugix.com/synth/quartussy/

And here's a recent update:

http://pugix.com/synth/quantasise-project/

As to what's so deep about it, the Quantussy architecture realizes a highly complex feedback system, comprised of five VCOs and ten sample and holds. It is able to produce time structures that result in musically interesting, evolving patterns that are self-similar (possibly fractal-like) yet never exactly the same. You can use it without having to understand how it works. But if you are like me, you are curious about how it works.

Apologies for this thread hijacking! It's supposed to be about Plumbutter 2.
pas
Hey Richard, is this quantusynth your developing standalone or another rack'd addition to your 5u towerz of powerz?
pugix
Standalone synthesizer. Six 'quantized VCOs', four wave shapers, stereo mixer. Suitcase style with external power supply.
jdev
So at this point, did anyone get their hands on the plumbutter2? Anything to share?

hyper
Snowden666
I picked up one, and have had experience with the original.

There is always the psychology of having a new instrument, which perhaps exaggerates the positives - to justify the purchase maybe, or just to convince yourself that you did good....

But my honest (though perhaps skewed) opinion is that it is a definite advance from the original. The sounds 'feel' tighter. They seem to modulate better. And the cv modulation of the mixer works really well, and not entirely predictably (to me, thus far) which I find a very positive thing.
wednesdayayay
where are the two bananas for the mixer located?

also it looks as if the 6 1/4" aux in's have been replaced with 3 stereo 1/8" inputs is that correct?

how are verso and inverso differentiated?

I have really been debating selling my plumbutter for a new one

EDIT: i actually just took another look at the plumbutter2 and can see where the mixer bananas are. I'm not sure how I missed all those
Oldstench
Oh god I want one of these, but just put an order in for a custom Makenoise system. Fuck.
windspirit
seems like a double unit would be pretty great for these. are they offered?
wednesdayayay
double units are available on the site it looks like
wavecircle
wednesdayayay wrote:
where are the two bananas for the mixer located?

also it looks as if the 6 1/4" aux in's have been replaced with 3 stereo 1/8" inputs is that correct?

how are verso and inverso differentiated?

I have really been debating selling my plumbutter for a new one

EDIT: i actually just took another look at the plumbutter2 and can see where the mixer bananas are. I'm not sure how I missed all those

Yes! Sell your original to me. The 6 monos are now 3 stereos, inverso is indicated by a engraved dot.
Oldstench
Haha - I tried to buy the PB2 today but my credit card was cancelled because of a data breach at some restaurant I recently ate at. Thanks BoA for letting me know before I tried to use it again...
jdev
Snowden666 wrote:
I picked up one, and have had experience with the original.

There is always the psychology of having a new instrument, which perhaps exaggerates the positives - to justify the purchase maybe, or just to convince yourself that you did good....

But my honest (though perhaps skewed) opinion is that it is a definite advance from the original. The sounds 'feel' tighter. They seem to modulate better. And the cv modulation of the mixer works really well, and not entirely predictably (to me, thus far) which I find a very positive thing.

Thanks for the insightful words, that's just cranked it up a notch for me.
Oldstench
Well, I pulled the trigger and ordered a PB2 just now. Rockin' Banana!

e: Can anyone recommend a good priced power supply that will work with the PB2? Shipped from the U.S. would be ideal.
pugix
I've been using a 12v, 1500ma wallwart from Radio Shack for Cocoquantus and Plumbutter.

https://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3807944

You also need the M size plug.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3807939
pas
Oldstench wrote:

e: Can anyone recommend a good priced power supply that will work with the PB2? Shipped from the U.S. would be ideal.

See what you have on hand before buying, I ended up using an old electric razor psu for coco & another unknown plug for plum. Just shit lying around.
bartlebooth
i use jameco reliapro 12VDC, .8A for all of my ciat instruments, they are $8.95 apiece and work just fine

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_11 7479_-1
chorus7
Also check you local music store they always seem to have a box full of orphaned ones... My local L+M had about 50 that they just let me go through until I found one that worked... FREE!...
windspirit
Oldstench wrote:

Plz post a picture when you get it!
windspirit
Oldstench wrote:

Oldstench
windspirit wrote:

Sure thing! Now, if I could only convince Tony to start producing Format Jumblers again so I can easily integrate this into my euro for further sound mangling...
pas
Oldstench wrote:
windspirit wrote:

Sure thing! Now, if I could only convince Tony to start producing Format Jumblers again so I can easily integrate this into my euro for further sound mangling...

Talk to lowgain, his 1/8" & 1/4" to banana boxes are great, plus you don't have to waste real estate.
numan7
Oldstench wrote:

these work really well for that + don't take up any eurorack space + are cheaper (http://foxtonemusic.com/low-gain-electronics-utl-1-utility-box-763.ht ml)!

cheers
numan7
waah my lowgain recommendation post woulda been first , if only i had just posted in plaintext (dammit)! FencingJediDead Banana

lol

cheers
Oldstench
Is there a power ground jack connection on the PB2?
wavecircle
It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners It's peanut butter jelly time!

Fuck yes, I just ordered mine!
windspirit
Oldstench wrote:

I had to request mine
wavecircle
How many patch cables are sufficient for the PB? hmmm.....
kozepz
I have 40 of them, but rarely use them all.
Prepare a few cables with varying resistor values to reduce some signals, can be handy with the hot signals at times.
wednesdayayay
the more you have the more you will use

but at the very very least I would say 15
this will allow for all voices to speak and leave some room for modulations

I am currently trying to work on using less cables and exploring each "area" when patching a bit more
wavecircle
That's reassuring. I was thinking about ordering about 50!

What do you reckon would be the longest cable length required? The PB looks about 15" so I don't know, 18", 24"?
wednesdayayay
I haven't made any with resistors in line yet, this sounds awesome

if you want to interface it with other synths you could get some longer ones

to throw a monk in your diamond wrench I often find myself using all of my cables
and as you can see in the videos below there are quite a few cables

some are nana to 1/4 (for the aux ins)
three different lengths (i'll measure when i get home but 6-8 inch, 12 inch and 18inch I believe)

something to think about
the cv output of the rolls works great for modulating the delay time on the dan electro dan echo pedal...

I will get a better video of it (plumbutt modulating dan echo) now that I understand what's happening better

congrats on the PB2 you will have tons of fun
wavecircle
Thanks! Sounds very cool as a processor. I think this is going to be my main instrument for a while so interaction with other things isn't so important at the moment. It would be nice to get some Serge to go with it in the future but I think for now a delay and reverb would be great fun with the PB. I do have a D-1000 and a minibrute on the way, lets see how they integrate.

This thing seems deep though, it fascinates me. I
Oldstench
windspirit wrote:
Oldstench wrote:

I had to request mine

Crap. I think mine is shipping soon. Oh well.
wavecircle
Has anyone asked about how the undulation of the AVDogs works in the PB2?

From the site "Avdogs are now stereo: each one undulates in the left channel and the right channel, back and forth." Does this mean that they do this automatically or only when CV is patched into the mixer?
kozepz
wavecircle wrote:
Thanks! Sounds very cool as a processor. I think this is going to be my main instrument for a while so interaction with other things isn't so important at the moment. It would be nice to get some Serge to go with it in the future but I think for now a delay and reverb would be great fun with the PB. I do have a D-1000 and a minibrute on the way, lets see how they integrate.

This thing seems deep though, it fascinates me. I

Sounds like a lot of fun on the way!
What I hear from Weinglas' D1000 it must be a killer combo together with PB.
chorus7
I'd still love to see some good pictures of the PB2 if anyone has the time?
Oldstench
As soon as mine comes in, I'll take pics and video.
chorus7
Thanks Oldstench can't wait to see it... I've heard mixed reviews on the appearance so I'm curious...
wednesdayayay
Really considering trading up from the orig to plum2
Something I just noticed though was on the snare module is that it only has one knob now whereas there were two before. One was for snare decay and the other was for a comparator that worked on the decay/verso/inversion inputs somehow

What happened?
Oldstench
It just came in! Unfortunately I am still stuck working, but was able to snap a shitty pic for you. Better pics later.

wavecircle
I like it. The andoff and oron buttons look nice and tactile. The different boundarys are very distinctive which isn't so clear on Peter's picture. Also it's easy to distinguish the inverso from verso by the dot. I'm sure the patching will become natural quite quickly and it's also an instrument which seems to ooze happy accidents so who cares if you patch incorrectly once or twice?

I didn't notice that the comparator knob has gone. I guess that the Quantum Dust pulses are mainly based on the snare decay and CV inputs. Perhaps there is some other way to patch it? The andoff and oron CV inputs were removed because Peter said the same function can be patched with the MWRS CV input.
Also, the auto panning AVDogs can be patched so that they act like a classic PB (fixed position)
kozepz
@Oldstench, have fun! SlayerBadger!

@Wavecircle, Good to hear the pannings can be fixed.
Would love to know how you would patch the comparator function, I use the knob a lot to find just that 'right' balance between a lot of dust and crackles...
wednesdayayay
perhaps the snare decay is only available under verso/inverso control although this seems less likely.
Oldstench
The knob is definitely snare decay. I too would be interested in understanding how to patch AVDog auto-pan out. Would it just be AVDog orange out to Mixer/AVDog verso or inverso in?
wednesdayayay
that seems like it would be the case

how does that auto panning sound

I have some close friends in atlanta who I visit once a year or so maybe I should bring the plumbutter/shnth next time if you would want to mess around SlayerBadger!

I am very excited to hear or see pb2 in action
wavecircle
Oldstench wrote:
The knob is definitely snare decay. I too would be interested in understanding how to patch AVDog auto-pan out. Would it just be AVDog orange out to Mixer/AVDog verso or inverso in?

Yep, that's what Peter told me. Remember you can stack inputs so you could fix them then do other panning functions.
wavecircle
"Is the quantum dust only related to the snare decay now? No way to do comparator stuff to adjust the dust pulses?"

"Well, they are now on the same knob as you noticed. but it is a special
response so you can get long snares/short snares and control dust at the
same time. here's how: the dust is greatest in the middle of the knob,
and tapers out in both directions from there. The snare is longest at the
bottom and shortest at the top, as you can see this makes two zones within
which you can tweak the dust and choose if you want long snare or short
snare. The cvs were already controlling both, so i made it the knob too."

Cool eh?
Oldstench
wednesdayayay wrote:
that seems like it would be the case

how does that auto panning sound

Here's my first recording with the PB2. It shows off the auto-panning of the AVDog in the beginning quite clearly.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/oldstench/pb2_test_1[/s]

I'm currently running this off 9V battery as my PSU hasn't come in yet. Really looking forward to hearing how it sounds with more juice.

wednesdayayay wrote:
I have some close friends in atlanta who I visit once a year or so maybe I should bring the plumbutter/shnth next time if you would want to mess around SlayerBadger!

I am very excited to hear or see pb2 in action

That'd be rad.
kozepz
yeah! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

THe panning feature seems very cool! Lots of possibilities.
wavecircle
Great stuff Oldstench. Love the deep pulsing. YAAAAAAH!!!!! I haven't been this excited since I bought a TR808 when I was a nipper. Fuck digital.
wednesdayayay
I really like that panning on the av dogs
wednesdayayay
EDIT: posted in the wrong thread
kozepz
Wednesdayayayayya...didn't you have a PB 1?
Collinrudolph
Can someone explain to me exactly what the plumbutter (or better yet, plumbutter 2) actually is? I have just found out about blasser and "Ciat- Lonbarde" and the instruments are perhaps the most beautiful I have seen.

I have been doing research and listening to examples, but the only thing I have heard is something like alien transmissions. No hate on anal probes or alien transmissions because that's cool, but it seems like I have been hearing the same few tones. I am correct in assuming these are its capabilities?
weinglas
I really like the panning nanners
Nice one Oldstench thumbs up
windspirit
Collinrudolph wrote:
Can someone explain to me exactly what the plumbutter (or better yet, plumbutter 2) actually is? I have just found out about blasser and "Ciat- Lonbarde" and the instruments are perhaps the most beautiful I have seen.

I have been doing research and listening to examples, but the only thing I have heard is something like alien transmissions. No hate on anal probes or alien transmissions because that's cool, but it seems like I have been hearing the same few tones. I am correct in assuming these are its capabilities?

The pub is a analog drum computer, meaning that you get patterns by connecting nodes of a 4-node or a 3-node oscillator a la "reptile brain" computing. So the reason that you hear a lot of the same tones is because this computer is being used to trigger the same drum sound generators but using different patterns, much as 99%+ of house music uses the same tr808 sounds but uses different patterns (sometimes.). That is not to say that this synth is limited in its sound pal late because the cross modulation of the drum section really generates some wild sounds, its just that in order to get there you might ave to do some patching that is unintuitive.

If you want to understand the pub better I would read the roolz-5 documentation on the ciat site as it is what the pub is based on
pugix
Collinrudolph wrote:

What it actually is is a fair question, I suppose. Mr. Green

I assume you have tried to digest this:

http://www.ciat-lonbarde.net/plumbutter/index.html

Read this, too, for more details:

http://www.ciat-lonbarde.net/plumbutter/labrolzpapersz.pdf

Let me take a shot at an answer, a bit more conventional description than you get from Peter. Plumbutter is a collection of patchable modules that make up an unusual type of 'drum machine'. Two sections are for pulse generation (the 4 Rollz, which are voltage controlled LFOs, and the pulse sequencer). Modules to be excited by pulses are AVDog and Gongue. Plus two Ultrasonic filters and a Deerhorn.

AVDog, Gongue, and Deerhorn have complex internals. They also have external inputs you can use.

AVDog consists of a VCO and a stereo envelope shaper that is controlled by a low frequency rung filter that produces an envelope which is the distinct characteristic of AVDog. The external input also goes into the shaper. AVDog outputs are White and Red, and the envelope out is Orange.

Gongue is a VCF with a triggering circuit to ring it, producing bongo-like sounds. However you can send an external audio in and just use the CV input (Violet) to make it function in a more standard way.

Deerhorn is a manual controller with a stereo VCA and two VCOs. It also has an external input, so you can send audio through the VCA instead of hearing the VCOs.

The outputs of the above modules are available both for patching, and through the internal mixer.

Ultrasound uses a high frequency VCO to mangle up other sounds. The signal out is only available through the mixer. But you can get the raw VCO output (Yellow).

I hope that wasn't too redundant.
wavecircle
I am curious about the 4-roll. Isn't it technically a 2-roll? From diagrams it looks like it is a 2 step pulse sequencer. 3-roll has 3 steps but 4-roll has 2 steps? Am I missing something?
windspirit
Hmmm, seems like your right. Ive never looked at the output of the orange out, maybe its just called a 4-roll for posterities sake?
HueMonContact
Niiiice! The panning is awesome.
Collinrudolph
windspirit & pugix Thank you that's exactly what I was looking for!
glitchpop
Oldstench wrote:
It just came in! Unfortunately I am still stuck working, but was able to snap a shitty pic for you. Better pics later.

It's really naive looking, childlike. I really enjoy Peter's aesthetic more and more. I have a couple of Mengqi's Rollz-5 boards (I've built one) but I really wish I could afford one of these right now.
Oldstench
glitchpop wrote:

It's really naive looking, childlike. I really enjoy Peter's aesthetic more and more. I have a couple of Mengqi's Rollz-5 boards (I've built one) but I really wish I could afford one of these right now.

That didn't stop me! Who needs money?
Oldstench
Does anyone have any scope shots from some of the CV outputs (rollz, avdog/gongue cv outs, etc.) they would be willing to share?
kozepz
Papyrus scope information of the orange voltages:

kozepz
Here's a short video demonstrating the orange voltages:

wednesdayayay
nice video kozepz Rockin' Banana!
Oldstench
Some new nonsense.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/oldstench/pb2_3-unpronounceable-alien[/s]
mrbloor
Oldstench, that was great thumbs up

Although I am in two minds about the look of the new PB2 the sound is awesome.
Nelson Baboon
Yes - I very much liked that track!!!
Oldstench
Thank you all very much! I love how there's a built-in compression that happens when you start pushing the volumes of the individual sections up on the mixer. There are just so many subtle timbre/texture combinations that are possible. Great device.
asteroid anxiety
kozepz wrote:
Here's a short video demonstrating the orange voltages:

NIce video and i like the Plumdub album too.
Oldstench
The kinder, gentler side of the Plumbutter 2.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/oldstench/pb2_5-sometimes-hed-hit-me-til[/s]
wavecircle
That's fucking rad!
kozepz
SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! Some serious PB stuff!

Edit:
Just plumbutter sound?
Oldstench
kozepz wrote:

Edit:
Just plumbutter sound?

Plumbutter going through some bitcrushing. It was all one take, performed just as it sounds.
kozepz
Oldstench wrote:
kozepz wrote:

Edit:
Just plumbutter sound?

Plumbutter going through some bitcrushing. It was all one take, performed just as it sounds.

Ok, thanks!
I saw you speaking about the 'compression' on the output and thought it would have resulted in this sound.
wavecircle
Customs paid! Should be here on Tuesday. I messed up though, we have no bananas. Dead Banana
wavecircle
It's here!!!! It's peanut butter jelly time!

Ok, what are the power requirements? DC? AC? Voltage? Polarity? hmmm.....
wavecircle
I'm going to go the shop for some milk, someone better tell me the power requirements by the time I get back!!! Enjoy some artsy pictures in the meantime. It really is very pretty in real life.

Oldstench
12V DC >300mA 2.1mm tip positive.
wednesdayayay
could you do me a huge favor and try some audio in the aux in''s of the avdogs

I would like to see if the new panning applied to the avdogs also applies to the aux ins. something like voice or guitar

also for some fun try splitting the avdogs CV out into 3 separate cv outs!
the main cv unaltered
and then by using two diodes (i used geranium 1n34a because it was what i had)
with one facing toward and one facing away form the plumbutter
below 0v will actually go positive so one bipolar avdog signal becomes two 0-5 signals
Oldstench
Here you go - some BushButter. Bush into AVDog followed by some Gongue.
wednesdayayay
thank you so much
screaming goo yo I will have to make sure I get the pb2

Although I am thinking more and more that I am selling my soundplane and getting the tba ciat kiosk

hmmm
double pb / sidrax / coco
wavecircle
This machine is insanely good. I've only got 3 cables at the moment, my mouth is involuntarily open. Peter Blasser is a genius.
pas
wavecircle wrote:
This machine is insanely good. I've only got 3 cables at the moment, my mouth is involuntarily open. Peter Blasser is a genius.

yay! Wave you got a pb, did you get a dual pb2? Let's see the whole slab if so. w00t
wavecircle
pas wrote:
wavecircle wrote:

yay! Wave you got a pb, did you get a dual pb2? Let's see the whole slab if so. w00t

hihi

Just a humble single version. I think Peter is making these for about a year so maybe when I am more flush I may upgrade to a dual, that would just be too much fun although I love the compactness of the single. Here is a pic in any case, sounds soon (my house is being refurbished currently).

primemover
Love the esthetics and sound of it. But the thing confuses me to bits and pieces.
wednesdayayay
it feels very natural when playing once you understand some basic principals

does anyone know if the deerhorn circuit is part of the plumbutter circuit board?

I was thinking on a kiosk it could be nice to have the deerhorn next to the sidrax or tetrax instead of up on the upper half with the plumbutter

or imagine the antenna part of the deerhorn right in front of the bars of the sidrax so that you sort of play it with your wrists movements
bartlebooth
wednesdayayay wrote:

does anyone know if the deerhorn circuit is part of the plumbutter circuit board?

yeah it can be separate from the plumbutter
wavecircle
My right ultrasound is considerably louder than the left, they are also audible even when not triggering. Is this normal operation?

How is the ultrasound used as a processor? At the moment it's just a sort of square wave, clicky thing.
wednesdayayay
when turned all the way up and with nothing being plugged into them the ultrasounds made a slight bit of noise on the pb1

the loudness difference was never apparent on mine, so this may be an issue

you can make a 1/4 inch to banana jack very easily and then you just use the green input for any audio signal

otherwise take any of the white banana jacks and plug them into the green of your ultrasound
or the red of the avdogs is very neat
or just plug the ultasounds reference oscillator (yellow) into the green of the other ultrasound then FM either/both of them for some bizarre noises

I thought of it like a filter
I did not use it barely at all when I first got my pb
also the man with the red steam was seemingly missing from my first couple months with the pb

also try taking the yellow out of an ultrasound into the verso/inverso of the snare
wavecircle
Thanks for the rapid response. My ultrasounds are both pretty audible even at 11 o'clock with no triggering. Maybe I need to speak to Peter for calibration advice?

Ok, so the trigger ins are like the Metasonix D-1000. If you put audio into them, they just act as audio inputs?
wednesdayayay
precisely!
you can also input brown rolls or orange rolls

I do sort of wish the ultrasounds had a mute function ala the gonz/trad switches of the other modules
this would also be nice for the man with the red steam
the mute function could hold the sequencer so that no incoming clock or data would get to it so it would just stop
wavecircle
Something which is puzzling me is that even when the Gongue and AVDog are set to minimum response time, i.e. how long they wait before sounding, it is very difficult to get a very fast rhythm. If I use one brown out of roll4 to gongue then stack the other brown out, there is no change in pace. If I plug into the snare this has the effect of doubling the pace.

Ultimately I guess I am asking if there is there anyway to make the gongue and AVDog minimum response time instantaneous?
kozepz
Shorten the decay time of the gongue, then you can increase the rate of the roll. For as far as I understood, gong can only be retriggered after a full cycle.

A cool way to make 16th hihats is providing a pulse into avdog, and the audio out into the snare. Changing avdogs respons will set the rate of the hihat this way.

Its not as easy as adjusting a tempo clock nanners, but way more fun!
windspirit
Yeah Im pretty sure the gongs can only respond once every 2 cycles at their fastest rate. I have a ground banana plug on my unit (for interconnecting things) but you can also plug it into the inverso rate input to make things go as fast as possible.
wavecircle
Thanks folks,

Yes, I have turned Q right down on the Gongue. It seems like a strange feature to make once every 2 cycles be the fastest rate. A slightly annoying thing on mine is that the 2 gongues have different minimum response times, I guess it's a simple RC circuit, naturally there will be a slight variation in the two circuits. Such is analogue!

Is there any kind of official literature on this thing? I find myself second guessing quite a lot. I know my way around it but it's the subtleties I am finding difficult. When I combine rolls I can't create something which I can predict (scientific mindset).
windspirit
Oh boy, you want to predict a ciat-lonbarde instrument? hihi

I would try connecting the rolz to eachother's blue inputs, that definitely makes for less chaotic blips and bloops, although you definitely wont get a straight tempo like that. What I do if I want integer multiples/ divisions of a clock is I drive a gong with a rollz and then use the orange/ grey outputs from that gong to drive other modules or feed back into the rollz network. Then there is of course the man with the red steam which will give you subdivisions of a clock to build "measures."

I absolutely suggest reading the webpage that describes the plumbutter 3 - 4 times, as it is pretty much the manual. I still learn stuff/ get ideas from reading it. This thing has a learning curve FOR SURE, but while you might never be able to predict the PB there is definitely a point where you know what you're doing and have an idea of the direction that the sound/ pattern/ drama is going to go. Take a look at the patch sharing thread, you'll get some good ideas!

Be one with the butter.
wavecircle
It is a lot of fun to have a rollz network set up and play with the rates, I'm suprised at the ease with which I can get it back to where it was. It is certainly an instrument, more so than any other "drum machine" I have owned. It is so reactive, it feels quite organic and like you are in vague control of this weird chain of events. It kind of reminds me of Markov chains sometimes.

I do think that with time it will get more predictable but it's full of constant suprises at the moment. I love the idea of a dual, being able to cross between 2 different patches would be wonderful live. I am kind of sloppy at the moment when it comes to changing patches on the fly. I unplug everything, maybe a coco could help with this if I use it as a buffer. Peter says the new cocos will have the same aesthetic as the PB2. nanners
wednesdayayay
can you imagine with a double PB setting up a 4 speaker arrangement for playing live

where the speakers were in a square shape around a central point then you could play around with where each channel of the PB was going

personally i would love hear it setup where the L/R of one pb was going to speakers FrontR and BackL and the other was the opposite so they made more of an X pattern

also something else I have been considering http://www.amazon.com/DBX-223-Stereo-Mono-Crossover/dp/B000Z89XP0/ref= wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=155A2OI8OJ925&coliid=I2F8MIF83S4JKB this

If I am understand correctly this could allow for 2.1 or 2.2 speaker setups

I have a pair of yamaha ms20s speakers, and a 10" guitar cab (eq'd bass cut, mid slight boost, treble cut, also there is only one input so both pb outputs go into a Y adapter for 2 mono to 1 stereo) that i listen to on but lately I have been thinking something like this may compliment the PB pretty well

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Electronic-Subwoofer-Satellites-Speakers/ dp/B006Z0OUC8

can't stop thinking of ciat possibilities Guinness ftw!
jdev
There are three 3.5mm inputs on the front of the PB2, the two towards the center have an engraved input symbol. From the Plumbutter2 manual:

"FOR THE REAL HEADSs. AUXILIARY INPUTS ARE ON THE FRONT, TO INTEGRATE IT WITH ANY SORT OF SYNTHESIS/PLAYBACK RIG. THE DEERHORN MODULE PROVIDES INSTANT SPATIAL CONTROL OF ANYTHING, VIA A SPECIAL PRINTED ANTENNA ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE INSTRUMENT."

What kind of signals are expected in these three inputs? What do they route to?
wednesdayayay
from the site

route your audio signals you want processed into the aux ins
on the original pb each there were 6 mono 1/4 aux ins (2 avdog, 2 gong, 2 deerhorn) on the pb2 the 6 mono 1/4 were replaced with 3 stereo 1/8

AUXILIARY INPUTS
on the 3 major modules, each switch has three positions: up, down, and off (middle). you can put it in the middle to turn the module off conveniently, like a mute button. also, in AVDog and Deerhorn, which take program input, putting this switch off allows the program input to have complete throughput with no onboard synthesizer. Gongue needs to be set at gonz or trad, because its auxiliary input goes straight through the audio filter.

avdog
send stereo input (L in to L avdog R in to R avdog) through the 2 VCAs which will give you the input at the output according to the undulations of the avdog

you can actually use (at least on the original pb, not sure about pb2) the built in avdog oscillator and the aux input together or with only the aux in

gong
is a filter set it to gonz/trad then play sounds through it and apply CV to the FM

the deerhorn
your hand gestures over the antenna will bring an input in and out

I didn't use the deerhorn aux ins too much but I did use the gongz/avdog all the time

in this clip a mic/bass are sent to the aux ins of the gongz
[s]http://soundcloud.com/tigerhouserules/sweetie-hearts[/s]

this video shows the madrona labs soundplane running at first through the avdogs => gong then at around 3:00 I plug the soundplane straight into the gongz

this clip is just messing around with sending an amplified radio into the various aux ins of the PB
it starts in the avdog
wednesdayayay
anyone have some new pb2 jams to keep me occupied while I save up my jelly to buy a butter?
wavecircle
Mine is bust. :(

Output jack has failed. Right and left merged into left only, I tried to fix it myself with Peter's advice but I have now killed the right side. I am hoping I can get it fixed in this country, really don't want to send it to the states. waah

Shitty luck this month with music equipment.
pugix
wavecircle wrote:
Mine is bust. :(

Output jack has failed. Right and left merged into left only, I tried to fix it myself with Peter's advice but I have now killed the right side. I am hoping I can get it fixed in this country, really don't want to send it to the states. waah

Shitty luck this month with music equipment.

Bummer. I hope P.B. made the PB2 easier to repair than the PB1. I'm a little concerned about the banana jacks being soldered to the board on my PB1, making the board non-removable.
wavecircle
Yeah, it's a pain in the ass to fix the problem I have. The main board removes easy enough and all the parts are SMT. The problem is that the jacks are soldered on the other side of the board and that part of the board seems to be glued to the wood. There is a very small clearance to get to the solder points of the jacks but I don't have the tools or skills to desolder in such a tight space. I can't believe I am going to have to send it back, I've had it less than a month. It's not Peter's fault, it's the jack that has fucked up. Still it's pretty sickening especially after selling my D-1000 a day earlier.
kozepz
Perhaps via the DIY page you can find somebody in your area to help you fix the issue!?
wavecircle
I dropped it off at the local tech today, its so frustrating that it's such a small, simple part that has gone wrong. I could remove the jack myself but that involves desoldering all the banana jacks to access the 1/8" jack solder points.
wavecircle
My first PB2 offering. It's totally live so it's a bit raw. The AM on the PB2 is awesome.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/polska-kliknij-muzyka/mas-o-plum-jeden[/s]

Second one:

[s]http://soundcloud.com/polska-kliknij-muzyka/zmielic-2[/s]
kozepz
Great to hear it working!
Nice tracks!
wednesdayayay
so how do the white and red nanas work on the pb2
a single avdog undulates from left to right
and only the left output is available at the white banana
then the right output is available at the red banana

I guess it is the same as the original pb if that is the case
wavecircle
No, the white is the direct audio out of that particular AVDog unaffected by the stereo positioning i.e. mono. The red appears to be an antiphase version of the white out.
wednesdayayay
I especially like that first track @wavecircle
wavecircle
Thanks! I think I am getting better with it, it really is an instrument. I am still finding my own style which seems to be quite regular at the moment. I can't wait for the CQ2, it's going to be brilliant for doing live stuff. There are so many nice sounds in the PB2, especially with AM stuff. I'll sample the hell out of it when my computer is upgraded.
wednesdayayay
I wonder if Peter would build them without the deerhorn

seriously, i just don't get it

I liked it but I didn't use it a whole lot or very effectively
plus I'll be adding gesture from the shnth and with meng qi's CL expander (double maybe triple ribbon controller)

I would understand peter's not wanting to break the instrument apart but since the deerhorn circuit is separate it wouldn't hurt to ask.
kozepz
wavecircle wrote:
Thanks! I think I am getting better with it, it really is an instrument. I am still finding my own style which seems to be quite regular at the moment. I can't wait for the CQ2, it's going to be brilliant for doing live stuff. There are so many nice sounds in the PB2, especially with AM stuff. I'll sample the hell out of it when my computer is upgraded.

Great to hear!
I find my self also in places which were not normally my style, but thats the hidden feature of a small laboratory w00t
wednesdayayay
although I wouldn't really want to skip the deerhorn unless I was getting a dual unit

it would be a nice little jambox

but I imagine a single pb2 will be coming my way in the near future
wavecircle
I'm not a huge fan of the Deerhorn sound but it's great for controlling other stuff. If you set up the sensitivity right you can use it to tap rhythms.
andriesvds
ordered mine. hope to get it soon.
wednesdayayay
mine too Guinness ftw!
meska
i juste whant it !! twisted twisted
wednesdayayay
can you post a picture? Guinness ftw! Guinness ftw!

or a video I think there isn't a PB2 video yet

have fun
kozepz
MY ASS IS BLEEDING for the growing pb family!

But we need video and audio, and a lot! hihi
Setherian
Guys, I just bought a PB2 and I want to order some pomona stackables, would you be kind to share your take on the cables, how many and in which lengths do you think would work best for it? Also, do you work with some color criteria?

Chris
pugix
I use 4" Black, 8" Red, 12" Orange, and 18" Yellow. My color scheme is just the length. It goes up like the resistor color codes. I also have some 2, 3, 4 and 6 footers for patching to other gear. I made some of these by cutting longer ones in half and soldering on a plug, since the Pomona cables are pretty expensive.
Setherian
thanks, would you also be able to tell me how many of each size you have (just for the ones solely used within the PB)?
theau
hello. I'm new there. Just recieved my brand new Plumbutter2.
Couldn't resist recording a patch with effects and sample added.
Have a beautiful sunday folks.
Peace, Tristan

https://soundcloud.com/theau/pbter-mosk
wednesdayayay
as far as how many cables to use with the PB I think I was using about 50
although keep in mind the PB2 has an extra 10 banana jacks (the blue verso/inverso inputs for the volumes of left and right)

a couple banana to mono 1/4 although

the original PB had 1/4 aux inputs I would have several stereo 1/8 to L/R/GND bananas for the PB2

mostly under 12 inches as this is a very slim instrument but I did have a couple that were closer to 18 inches
I have used no color coding

This was my experience with the PB I very much enjoyed using it as a modular effects processor / drumspiration

I am at my folks house right now but I'll give your tracks a listen when I get home @theau
also welcome to the Ciat-Lonbarde family
MY ASS IS BLEEDING

It seems like there are about 4 or 5 people who ordered a PB2 in the last week or two

we have to leave peter some time to work on mikey walker for the shnth guys Dead Banana

Although I can't say too much as mine should be coming soon too Guinness ftw!
theau
Hello all.

Since yesterday, I can't help patching and trying various techniques shared on the patch thread.

Today, many variations on the snare module with 2 gongs and FM modulation sync.

https://soundcloud.com/theau/plumbutter-clicks-and-cuts

Great Week Ending to you ! [/img][/s]
wednesdayayay
Very nice sounds theau

I love the expressiveness of the clicks and cuts just out of a couple modules
wednesdayayay

hey guys video and picture

the video is super simple but I wanted to get one out there when My fingers are still smelling of the newness of this synth

I have another uploading now that is a bit more involved
wednesdayayay
newsy
theau
Nice to see plumbutter in action !

Thanks for the welcome. In fact, this is my 3rd device from Peter, but never hanged around this forum. I have to catch up this time !

Another track recorded strictly out of Plumbutter stereo out, with reverb added. Had a great fun playing with the deerhorn on this one.

All triggers from 2 Rolls. Playing with FM mod on Deerhorn with my thumb.

Hope you like it !

https://soundcloud.com/theau/like-a-virgin-plumbutter-mix
wednesdayayay

this time I am sending some basic sounds into an ipad oscilloscope app

they look pretty neat

when my CL expander gets here I think I'll build a stand for all these instruments
I have a keyboard stand I may be able to use as a base. It would be pretty nice to have the ipad oscilloscope app for visual reference of one particular part
mrbloor
brilliant wednesdayayay, finally some video of the pb2.

My PB1 should be here tomorrow cant wait thumbs up
zilaihong
thumbs up wednesdayayay

Very nice track theau, I love the sound of Gongue... (if the plucking sound is from there...)
theau
Thanks !

Yep lots of hypno Gongs going on there !

https://soundcloud.com/theau
Setherian
so what are you guys doing with the ultra sounds yellow outputs?
wednesdayayay
I put them back into the other sides FM input sometimes

I'll put them into one of the verso/inverso inputs of the snare for some almost bell type tones

also try them in any of the AM inputs for some interesting sounds
Setherian
cool, cant wait to try, should have it in 2 weeks.

let me ask, is there a ground jack? how do you guys work the ground interfacing with other synths?
wednesdayayay
I just asked peter to put a ground jack on there as I wasn't clear on if it is standard

well my cocoquantus has a ground jack and my plumbutter2 has a ground jack. I simply connect them with a cable and then I can send a triangle output form the CQ to the PB2

I have also interfaced the original plumbutter with my father's Korg ms20 (I have some videos of this on my account I posted on earlier). This was accomplished by plugging the korg's output to the aux in on the plumbutter. I could then send CV modulations from the ms20 to the plumbutter
Setherian
I panicked a little here now cause i didnt ask for a ground jack, but come on this should be standard right?
wednesdayayay
I would hope so
let us know when it arrives
nanners

this morning I got the shnth out and plugged in a cable I made for it (1/8 stereo to 2 signal banana plug 1 ground banana plug)

water triggers both the gong and avdogs as well as changes the interconnections on the CQ if connected to the circle inputs of the qunatussy section

string also works but you can tell it is an audio rate signal triggering the module as it comes through a little bit

I'm getting ready to try out interactions with the rollz
although I'm leery of plugging it into the brown/black (v1/v2) androgynous banana jacks as I remember reading that it was critical not to input any audio into the shnths outputs. So I will hold off on the portion for now mostly Im looking to squish their speed around

using the shnth as a handheld controller to trigger both the gongs and avdogs while interacting with the tussy sections of the CQ which modulated all the avdog/gong inputs is quite satisfying

not sure if I should start a ciat experimenting thread or post here/family jams
wednesdayayay

mine nose is pretty stuffy so sorry for the dog toy nose ringing

smoke will trigger gongs and avdogs
while dust only triggers gongs
Edit in this video water/strings are triggeri not smoke/dust
zilaihong
wednesdayayay This is super awesome research, thank you for posting this video.

I now have a lot more confidence of some thoughts in my mind. Mr. Green

And I wonder how well AVdog and gong respond to single pulse? if on CL Expander we set the range of ribbon pressure to min, can we trigger them by placing finger on the ribbon? Would be interesting. w00t
wednesdayayay
the bars are working as expected
earlier I looped some bar squishing into a coco and then modulated it and sent it out to do all sorts of things

this is pretty awesome
zilaihong
Do you mean the direct output from [bar] can trigger the gongs? Is that true? eek!

Sounds like we can play the gongs like tapping on a 2 string fretless bass with CL Expander. eek! Rockin' Banana!
wednesdayayay
yes the raw bar was working for me to trigger both avdogs and gongs
on the gongs you can get it to trigger only once if you press lightly or it will trigger on press/release if you give it some extra squish

next I want to look into slewing, sequencing, swoop, mount

I think I will start a new thread as this is having less and less to do with PB2 and more to do with the shnth
wednesdayayay
make sure you take some real long smells of your plumbutter2 when it arrives

the smell will stick with you

and one day you will be somewhere where wood is being cut

and you will think of peter and his synths

thumbs up
chorus7
Quote:
make sure you take some real long smells of your plumbutter2 when it arrives

the smell will stick with you

and one day you will be somewhere where wood is being cut

and you will think of peter and his synths

Totally agree! When I got my Cocolase I couldn't believe how it smelled, it was like a vintage cigar box smell but deeper (and less tobacco) smelling... My whole studio smelled so good... I came to realize how much better making art/music was in the "right" space... redid the whole studio the next day thumbs up
jimmyambulance
Oldstench wrote:

so so so sick. nice job! Rockin' Banana!
wednesdayayay
jimmyambulance wrote:
Oldstench wrote:

so so so sick. nice job! Rockin' Banana!

agreed we're not worthy

the Plumbutter is sounding pretty nasty I love it
wednesdayayay
[s]http://soundcloud.com/tigerhouserules/1656plumbutter2and[/s]

some sounds using an avdog splitter/cocoquantus/current mirror to control the plumbutter
wednesdayayay
I cleaned up the outlines of the modules on the PB2 today with a tool from a clay sculpting kit. There were some little wood leftovers that needed shearing.

It could still be better but I think I'd have to used some little tool with sandpaper on it or something.
andriesvds
hello,

my plumi will arrive next week. w00t

i would like to patch it my other stuff (telemark/ms20 mini).

any idea how to connect the plumi bananas to a 3.5mm eurorack socket?

i found this http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgsad.html

it looks really good, but i can not find the johnson socket anywhere.

any ideas? thanks in advance for your help. It's peanut butter jelly time!

andries
windspirit
Can you solder and did you get a ground plug on your pb?
andriesvds
windspirit wrote:
Can you solder

a bit yes hihi

windspirit wrote:
did you get a ground plug on your pb?

no i did not order that explicit...is that an option? woah
wednesdayayay
I asked for is specifically and it appeared I'm not sure if it stick or not
but as stated before if you have a mixer and the two sources both go to the same mixer you should be fine

I have also grounded a ms20 and an original plumbutter together by plugging one of the PBs outputs into the ESP of the MS20

the ground jack really isn't always necessary it is just nice for situations like having the shnth control the plumbutter as I'm not too sure how you would accomplish that without a ground jack.

grounding also worked fine by sending the output of the ms20 into the aux in's of the plumbutter

here are a couple examples

chorus7
I DIY'ed one of these into a 1U space and it works great...

http://foxtonemusic.com/low-gain-electronics-utl-1-utility-box-763.htm l
andriesvds
thank you all thumbs up

i'm sure there's a solution for me here. Guinness ftw!
weinglas
andriesvds wrote:
hello,

andries

Hi Andries,

if you don't want to solder get one of these: http://escapefromnoise.com/en/non-modular/low-gain-utl-1/

Regarding the ground: You should be on the safe side if you connect the audio out of the PB to the same mixer as your eurorack or an audio in of your eurorack modules.
andriesvds
ordered - tnx weinglas.
andriesvds
wednesdayayay wrote:
I asked for is specifically and it appeared I'm not sure if it stick or not
but as stated before if you have a mixer and the two sources both go to the same mixer you should be fine

I have also grounded a ms20 and an original plumbutter together by plugging one of the PBs outputs into the ESP of the MS20

the ground jack really isn't always necessary it is just nice for situations like having the shnth control the plumbutter as I'm not too sure how you would accomplish that without a ground jack.

grounding also worked fine by sending the output of the ms20 into the aux in's of the plumbutter

here are a couple examples

i really like what you're doing in these vids. applause

- keep it coming! It's peanut butter jelly time!
wednesdayayay
unfortunately this is my father's ms20 (i'm in florida he is in indiana) and I sold this PB to muffwiggler and bought a PB2 It's motherfucking bacon yo

I post a lot of ciat related stuff though

also another option for the 1/8 to banana conversion is the meng qi CL expander he has 4 mono 1/8 to banana on there

but if you already bought something it doesn't matter

I am excited to see the CL family grow
kozepz
andriesvds wrote:
hello,

andries

Thats good news Andries, welcome!
That utility box will work fine, which weinglas pointed out.
chorus7
Man oh man! I need to share my excitement It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners I just got notice from Peter my PB2 and Sidrax are in the mail and I should see them next week! Crap I'm excited...

I had a PB1 and regretted selling it from the day it went out the door... Long story short I need the cash and then a week later found out I didn't need the cash very frustrating ... But its all good now...

Sorry just needed to share...
wednesdayayay
oh man please post some sidrax sounds I haven't heard enough of the new one being played.

I am glad to hear you are back on the PB train as well thumbs up
andriesvds
got my plumi today - it even smells great (woody) w00t

my wife: "What the fuck is that!!!"

i fucking love this thing - it seems to be alive. we're not worthy

here's a fast vid - just some fm shit with some effects.

more plumi stuff coming soon. Guinness ftw!

weinglas
Congrats Andries! You already seem to gave a lot of fun nanners
wednesdayayay
I'm loving your deerhorn work
great first entry and I am looking forward to more

thumbs up
andriesvds
connected the ms20 mini to the plumi input (front) w00t

some simple rythmic structures. a bit of external delay.

lot's of bananas - i need smaller hands... hihi

fuck i like this machine It's peanut butter jelly time!

wednesdayayay
that was a pleasure to listen to

the plumbutter really shines in a different way when you start using the aux ins
wednesdayayay
double dumper
mrbloor
applause
weinglas
@Andries: That was f*cking cool. Especially near the end applause
andriesvds
tnx to you all.
kozepz
Great work Andries! w00t
How did you connect the pb with the korg?
andriesvds
ms20 mini audio out - to plumi in (front left).

hey man, why did you delete all your youtube vids? cry
andriesvds
some dark sounds here.

kozepz
andriesvds wrote:
ms20 mini audio out - to plumi in (front left).
hey man, why did you delete all your youtube vids? cry

Nice, I should use the inputs more often.

With the videos I had some issues with youtube, a dj with a sample cd, and the issue not being able to explain them that the sounds are pb and not a lousy sample cd.
It took more as three times back and forth communication without succes, so I decided that I could do without youtube and itunes djs...will use vimeo in the future.

You;re on a roll my friend with pb, I like it.
Does deer horn only work in the vertical way?
wednesdayayay
I only remember using the deerhorn on the original PB in a horizontal way

I have used the PB2s deerhorn in both vertical and horizontal to some success

I like your creepy fucker @andriesvds what are your plans (if you still have that patched up) for the man with red steam? Or are you using it as a visual indicator?

also sorry to hear about the musical disputes over your PB tunes

what is your vimeo account you'll be posting on? I did enjoy your videos a lot
andriesvds
tnx for the comments.

yes, after 2 days i'm still learning on the plumi hihi - especially the sonic possibilities and the way the modules interact together hmmm.....

the machine still has many secrets to me and the best way to explore the plumi is just working with it because peters docu is kind of .... eek!

so any other vids or infos with interesting ideas are welcome. keep it coming applause

the next step will be integrating the plumi with my other gear. Guinness ftw!
kozepz
@wednesday
Did you notice more 'unwanted' interaction with deer horn being placed this way on plumbutter?

@andries
Sure a lot to find out...
I've been patching pb for eight months now, and still get surprised.

What can you get out of 1 gong, using all from pb what you like to modulate, but only audio out of 1 gong!
Would make a nice challenge!
Setherian
ok i just got my plumbutter 2, a little confused with the power supply thing, what is the minimum and/or ideal juice I need?
wednesdayayay
i use both a 12v 500mA

and a 12v 900mA

sometimes I switch them between the cocoquantus and the plumbutter but both seem fine

center positives
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarity_symbols

on the original PB I had trouble getting full oomph form a 9v battery but my battery may have been sluggish
ModusOp
I know nothing... Edited post. Lol
andriesvds
double post.
andriesvds
some plumi octatrack resampling. i'm not a good octratracker...

Setherian
btw, about the power supply/battery deals with PB and the COCO (which I just got, which came with a 9v wallwart btw)

All I can say is, the PB does not work perfectly (as it seems) with the 9v battery neither with the 9v 500mA PS that came with my used Coco, It seriously need a 12v with at least 300mA, I would aim for about 500mA though. Now I still didnt have the time to check if the performance of the coco with the 12v improves its behaviour and sound over the 9v 500mA.

The 9v battery seems to be like an emergency thing only and does not guarantee at least not for too long (2-4 hours?) a proper functionality of the PB2.
andriesvds
here's some info from peter about patching the plumi to other analog synths and vice versa:

"Hi, the cv out is no more than nine volts, and no less than zero. Try to
not connect anything "fishy" to the brown, because they are sensitive to
over current: always have a resistor to them. otherwise, enjoy!"
andriesvds
new one.

windspirit
andriesvds wrote:
some plumi octatrack resampling. i'm not a good octratracker...

Dude this video is crazy! Are you processing with the pb or with the octatrack? What the hell is going on??
andriesvds
tnx.

i process both the octa and the pb. basicaly i realtime sample the pb with the octa, slice that, random the slices, use some effects, change the sound on the pb, sample again etc. - step by step:

1. i create a drum/drama line on the pb - and tap the pb bpm (which here was about 72bpm) on the octa, so i can use that to sync the recorded pb stuff with main tempo
2. on track 7 i have a recording track with one yellow trigger on the first step that i can arm, and that i have sliced in 16 pieces so i can random the slices with a scene
3. track 8 is the master, on track 1 is a drumsample
4. bpm is about 120
5. now i press play and "arm" and the octa starts recording the pb - the tempo is synced automaticaly. after 16 steps the recording stops but the sample keeps playing
6. i play a bit with the scenes and effects
7. i change the sound on the pb (but DONT change the tempo of the pb sound)
8 goto 5 etc.

ofcourse you can make this much more complex by using more recording tracks, effects and parameter locks on each track.

have fun.
mrbloor
well done windspirit applause Had the octa, drum & mono machine for a few years, all sold now in favour of menuless ciat. Cool machines but the octa confused the hell out of me.

Congratulations on getting that far with it thumbs up
andriesvds
you hear the telemark and the pb here play together. but only the cv - haven't found a way to get the gate signal into the pb.

connected the telemark osc cv out to the plumbutter with a banana/euro kit Low Gain UTL 1. it's kind of difficult to get the plumi in tune with the 1 V/oct system over al longer range but it works. and i also connected the dearhorn cv out of the plumi to the vca cv in of the telemark - works fine.

more stuff coming soon.
weinglas
Andries, I am impressed. we're not worthy
Never thought this is possible
windspirit
You are blowing mind man. I'm guessing this means that the pub has exponential CV?

Mrbloor - I only quoted that video from and tries, no credit here.
phisynth
amazing vids and experiments, andries applause

Keep them coming, inspiring stuff ! !
kozepz
applause applause thumbs up
soundinett
Great stuff, Andries. Would love to hear the plumi at the next ambiosonics meeting in MUC. :-)

applause
andriesvds
here's a new one. experimental stuff. use headphones and beware of some extreme sounds.

what you see/hear is the plumi (poor man's buchla hihi ) controlled over the doepfer midi/cv controller. some tempo changes too.

i play some notes with the keyboard and also use the octatrack (imo one of the greatest music tools on market) for midi and some effects. sound = plumi only - no other synths used. no overdub.

@soundinett - good idea, it's very portable...

@windspirit - yes +/- so it can over- and underscale easy. i will make a graphic with all the infos.

btw. yes i can also make "normal" musik, read notes and play the piano...i've done that many years. but that's not what i like doing now. favorite album, vangelis: beaubourg Mr. Green

wednesdayayay
There is something very different about plumbutter being played with ribbon/keys

I am glad to see some more boundary bushing as far as gear integration goes

great sounds Rockin' Banana!
kozepz
Thats cool Andries!
Are you constantly resampling the octatrack inputs?
andriesvds
tnx. yes, in this test i use real time recording/resampling. no overdubbing and no slicing here, only some effects.

octa language: i use one recording track with some parameter locks (filter, rev), one midi track, master track and a red recording trigger on the first step of the recording track. midi input "on the fly". just some simple basic octa stuff.
Setherian
Guys, I have been fulling around with my PB2 for a few weeks now, and I have two complaints, i would like to know what you guys think,

First of all I think the Aux Inputs apart from the one that goes into the Gong filter makes not much sense, I could not find a good , practical use for the other two, and If i recall right, the middle input doesnt even work, the deerhorn input apparently only allows me to open a gate for the sound and still with a very low volume.

Another thing I am disappointed is with the theta wave (orange output) from the deerhorn, when Im using it to control my Serge, i dont like the response at all.

What ya guys think? I love it apart from those issues, but i wonder if Im doing something wrong..

Chris
wednesdayayay
honestly the theta output of the PB2 seems different to me more linear than the original PB
I haven't used it too much yet

the aux input for the avdog is simple enough
there is an internal oscillator that the avdog references for both of the VCA's inside of it. When the gonz/trad switch is in the middle whatever sounds you put into the aux in will go through the same VCA's with the same wavey response that the avdog has.

on the oringal PB when you input a sound into the avdog's aux in and it was set to gonz/trad instead of the middle position both the internal oscillator and the aux sound played together. I haven't tried this yet on my PB2.

what where you inputing into the deerhorn? if you input that same signal into the gongs are the levels still off?

the deerhorn's aux ins just go to the VCAs as well.

I'll try to mess around with these things some more as I don't think I have even plugged into the DH or avdog's aux ins since I got the PB2 if I find myself making some sense I'll make a video
andriesvds
dance-track...hihi

andriesvds
shady smiles
thumbs up andriesvds!

Curious what you're using for reverb (an aside really). And while we're at it, what are you jumbling in with that format jumbler of yours? Anything on this jam? And otherwise?

Great sounds!
weinglas
Wow Andries, great tracks applause
andriesvds
tnx.

shady smiles wrote:
thumbs up andriesvds!

Curious what you're using for reverb (an aside really). And while we're at it, what are you jumbling in with that format jumbler of yours? Anything on this jam? And otherwise?

Great sounds!

just the mixer reverb...

all the sounds are plumi only. no resampling etc. and no fucking cats in the mix too...that's the dearhorn hihi
kozepz
Fantastic jams Andries!
Sehr brauchbares material hihi
Setherian
two questions guys:

im still not 100% sure how the brown jacks work in relation to eachother or with the "parts" of each rollz section, for example, the 5th jack making the "L" ?

another question, in my pb at least the red outputs of the "red steam" cannot trigger the av dogs, is that correct?
arnoux
Hi all, I'm really faschinated by this instrument, one of the most mysterious sounding and looking..

Sorry for derail a bit this thread, but I'd like to ask if you can sync in some way the Plumbutter to an Eurorack system... I see there's a format jumbler option but what can it send out to the modular?

Thanks in advance.

PS
Andries really cool sounding stuff! thumbs up
andriesvds
yes, you can send a CV and Gate signal to the plumi. it works fine. tuning the plumi is simple but not very stable - dont expect a perfect tuning over a scale of more than 2 octaves... hihi

you can also send the CV of the plumi (red banana outs) to a modular - and sometimes it even makes sence hihi

the plumi cv out is no more than nine volts, and no less than zero.

see this vid for some infos.

arnoux
Yeah thanks for your reply, time to spend some time reading information and listening to compositions made with this strange beast.

Anyone using it with an Euro system?
wednesdayayay
I've seen CL gear used by phisynth a lot on his Youtube channel

no euro here though lol
andriesvds
arnoux wrote:
Yeah thanks for your reply, time to spend some time reading information and listening to compositions made with this strange beast.

Anyone using it with an Euro system?

on the 22th of february i will visit the vienna modular meeting. then i have the opportunity to connect the plumi to a euro system. i'm sure we'll make some videos too. stay tuned.
wednesdayayay
has anyone else used potentiometers as voltage dividers on the orange outputs of the man with red steam?

this gives you more of a traditional sequencer
if you want to go Ciat stylee compose a couple current correlators then you can voltage control the value of each step

I am actually working on a decade counter/ripple counter hybrid sequencer which will utilize the current correlators and that got me thinking more about the man with red steam. So I tried this stuff out today

add potentiometers per step and then add all the outputs to a diode and then final output (maybe an additional over all potentiometer) will be the combination of all four steps but you should still be able to address them individually both before and after the pots. We'll see.

also another thing that seems pretty amazing to me
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEMCo-Industrial-Foot-Switch-SPDT-NO-NC-Electr ic-Power-Pedal-Momentary-New-CNC-/400421842042?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&h ash=item5d3b006c7a
I had already talked in this forum about using this style of pedal to interface with my old cocoquantus through it's looping switch

this pedal will also trigger both the avdogs and the gongs it will work on blue verso/inverso, FM inputs, and I would imagine it works with the new CQ's loop banana jack as well.
meska
this pedal is a tattoo machine foot switch nanners

but it's expensive !!
Klipspringer
andriesvds wrote:

I very much enjoyed this.

For all you Plumbutter owners, can you direct me to some sounds of the Plumbutter that are similar to Andriesvds? Sort of melancholy and "simple", not so glitchy? I'm really interested in this instrument and want to understand its full sonic palette a little better.
chorus7
Quote:
I very much enjoyed this.

For all you Plumbutter owners, can you direct me to some sounds of the Plumbutter that are similar to Andriesvds? Sort of melancholy and "simple", not so glitchy? I'm really interested in this instrument and want to understand its full sonic palette a little better.

Klipspringer check out some of my newest track most are just PlumButter multi tracked... I tend to wander more in the melodic side
of things... Hopefully this might help you a little...

https://soundcloud.com/fernlodge
Klipspringer
Well between you and the other guy, I just had to buy one.
chorus7
Klipspringer Glad I could be of some help! thumbs up as soon as you get it you have to post some examples of it in action...
wednesdayayay
I am glad there is so much audio/video available for the plumbutter as it certainly helps to make a hard decision easier

enjoy and welcome thumbs up
Klipspringer
I will. Mine doesn't have a grounding lug and i want to do some stuff with Expert Sleepers' SilentWay. I figure if I just connect the audio outs of everything to my MOTU it should be OK. Does that sound right?

I'll also make a couple of these (avoiding the brown sockets for input too):

Does all of this seem right?
andriesvds
some plumbutter FM sounds: deerhorn and ultrasound only, a bit reverb.

i could play with this crazy fucker all day long...hihi

wednesdayayay
I was messing around with the AR envelope circuit here

it works great on the orange outs of the rollz (and thus I would assume the orange outs from the MWRS) and the orange outs on the avdogs

I only have 100k pots though

This actually feels very natural for this instrument almost like an analog counterpart to wheel (an opcode for the shnth)
I'm thinking vactrol or current correlator controlled version instead of pots would make for a fun module

I'm going to be testing some small DIY passive and powered modules then building a larger enclosed piece to play with the plumbutter & shnth

now I have to really plan the modules and not just build a behemoth synth just because I can.
wednesdayayay

and here is a video showing the goods

I may get to a simple slew/portamento later today I am also uploading osme other interesting videos as we speak..
wednesdayayay
my plumbutter grew an arm which holds a wooden disk
when I scritchy scratch the disk it sings through the gongmans throat
when I strike with flick or mallet the throat is excited

Klipspringer
I like this machine a lot. Just fooling around trying to make non-traditional CL sounds hihi

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/136275361" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="false" /]
wednesdayayay
I Like your sounds klipspringer. The whistlish sound is really nice. I love finding those kinds of sounds with the plumbutter.
wednesdayayay

this is a plumbuttery sound so I thought I'd post it here.
I am using what started as an AR enveloper and turned into something else

for a long winded explanation of what is happening and where I may be going look just slightly further https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1469487#1469487

this is mostly just messing around with different settings to show some stuff it can do. towards the end I get a sound I like very much and play a little inside the coco2

I really am fascinated by how simple the circuit is and how much it changes that rollz orange output.
Klipspringer
wednesdayayay wrote:
I Like your sounds klipspringer. The whistlish sound is really nice. I love finding those kinds of sounds with the plumbutter.

Thanks for the listen.

The Plumbutter has totally exceeded my expectations and I've been able to get all sorts of interesting plumby and non-plumby sounds from it in just a few days of messin' around.

Because it's so self-contained, I can I really focus in and become absorbed in little nuances. It's just great.
wednesdayayay
the plumbutter is still full of surprises even after having one for a while now.

something I've not done before was ring the gongs by turning up the Q then looping the shortest possible snippet of it with a coco. I would then mess with the coco's speed and use the gray output from the coco as a modulation source. it is a more rounded modulation source I'll get some video or something tomorrow.

also try this
coco's white mic output => gongs aux ins
gongs white out => FM in of ultrasounds
ultrasounds yellow => both of the 4 rolls (either one of the blue inputs of on of the brownies)
orange/brownies from 4 rolls => MWRS
MWRS outs driving gongs filters FM input/cocos speed input
andriesvds
mrbloor
loving the videos thumbs up
Quasi
andriesvds wrote:

Any big issues with hooking the PB up with modular gear?
andriesvds
Quasi wrote:
andriesvds wrote:

Any big issues with hooking the PB up with modular gear?

no issues here. i use the Low Gain UTL 1 to connect to the telemark. but the results do not always make sense. I dont have experience with connecting the plumi to buchla/serge etc.

this is what peter said about connecting the plumi to modular synths : Hi, the cv out is no more than nine volts, and no less than zero. Try to not connect anything "fishy" to the brown, because they are sensitive to over current: always have a resistor to them.

see this video for a connection with the telemark and playing the plumi with a keyboard.

kozepz
Great stuff here! w00t
andriesvds
evil monster speak to me... hihi

weinglas
Awesome Andries we're not worthy love
kozepz
Fantastic! applause w00t
chorus7
Holy crap! Thats amazing!...
andriesvds
tnx@all
fredguy
plumbutter2, blippoo box, and bugbrand

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/140640944" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
andriesvds
new one - using octatrack for sequencing and soundprocessing. plumi has a self running patch here that is changed using external cv/gate signals.
by changing pitch and note length on the octa seq. i change multiple inputs on the plumi. i use both gate and cv signals. very long. i didn't want to cut anything out because different things are happening here. signal of the plumi is processed by the octa using some filters and dark-reverb.

dont expect music here... hihi

opsysbug
1230 pm-3 pm today. STEP AWAY FROM THE PLUMBUTTER! Gotta' eat something... w00t
kozepz
andriesvds wrote:
new one - using octatrack for sequencing and soundprocessing. plumi has a self running patch here that is changed using external cv/gate signals.
by changing pitch and note length on the octa seq. i change multiple inputs on the plumi. i use both gate and cv signals. very long. i didn't want to cut anything out because different things are happening here. signal of the plumi is processed by the octa using some filters and dark-reverb.

dont expect music here... hihi

Thats great work Andries!
Love those long videos thumbs up
andriesvds
tnx - still experimenting and trying to understand the beast.
weinglas
That was indeed amazing Andries!
andriesvds
tnx claus. i'm looking forward to the HK event... w00t Guinness ftw! It's peanut butter jelly time!
andriesvds
plumbutter techno experimenting - some patching.

changing tempo at about 5:30...it takes some time to get it in sync...hihi

ModusOp
I can't stop coming back to this thread. It's just such a fascinating instrument! Guinness ftw!
ModusOp
Does anyone know if someone makes (or can make) a -10v banana to 3v 1/4" inverter/attenuator stand-alone box?

If I ever do wind up getting a PB, I'd love to have it control the tempo of my Eventide pedals via the aux-in on them. I've read elsewhere that you can convert CV to MIDI clock in this way. smile
wednesdayayay
just use the orange outs of your one of your rollz

you could use a passive attenuator but this would leave room for voltage error into your eventide
or just use a voltage regulator maybe even just a simple pair of resistors could put the signal within the proper range.

where are you getting the -10v from (the brown pulses on the PB?)

almost all of the PBs voltages bar the brown anydrogenodes on the rollz are positive going only

although that wouldn't cover inverting at all

this project seems very doable
ModusOp
Whoa. That's awesome! Thanks wednesdayayay!

Sounds even more doable than I'd thought. nanners

Looks a little over the 3v, but as you said, a simple pair of resistors should do it.

When I was first considering getting a PB, I had a conversation with Jason (Hoan Kiem Chess Team). He said that the pulses are outputted at negative -10v. Thanks for clearing that up. thumbs up

Do you think I would need to ground anything? Sorry, but as you can tell, I don't know much about electronics. (Coming from a different end of the musical instrument spectrum here.)
wednesdayayay
the brown nodes (or black on the PB2) on the rollz are the pulse input/outputs which do output a negative voltage. This is why I just use the orange CV reference output peter provided per roll

I have one module I have come up with since learning about electronics

I hope to get a soldering iron and put it back together as it made some wicked birdish feedback style sounds
ModusOp
Nice! I too would love to increase my knowledge of such things.

I think that I rebelled against knowing about anything electronic since I was young because my Dad was an electrician.
I was like "Screw you, Dad! I don't need to know about that crap!" Lol. very frustrating

Ok. So, orange ouputs. Got it! thumbs up (Easy to remember because that's my last name.)
aux-in
walking through city streets today... heard the undulation of distant traffic, bouncing off buildings and echoing high above... a truck's rumble turned into luxurious washes... Even my (so far) brief experience with plumbutter is opening my ears to new sounds... hearing the unheard.... noticing the unnoticed.

A doppler stream of passing avdogs. quantum dust construction site... the man with the red steam row of traffic lights.
ModusOp
I was wondering if anyone could please help me with these questions...

I've frequently noticed that on tracks featuring the PB, it very often sounds like all of the different tone generators are in tune with one another.

Is that something you have to do with each oscillator? Or do you just tune one and the others react to that?

Do you tune it by ear, or do you use an external tuner? Does it stay in tune?

And lastly, is it easy to tune it to play along with other gear? (A440, etc.) hmmm.....
johnnywoods
ModusOp wrote:

I've frequently noticed that on tracks featuring the PB, it very often sounds like all of the different tone generators are in tune with one another.

Is that something you have to do with each oscillator? Or do you just tune one and the others react to that?

I've only had mine for a week, but each generator does have an independent tuning control, and as far as I can tell, there is no influence from one to the other (unless you patch it!)
I do find it very easy to tune the voices to each other, and I've been jamming along with other synths without too much difficulty getting them in tune to each other.
wednesdayayay
I have an old Peterson strobe tuner I use sometimes to get precise pitch

I usually tune my Casio then tune the deer horn to the Casio then sample the deer horn into the Casio (sk1)
ModusOp
Awesome! Thanks for the info! smile
mrbloor
I use my ears, if it sounds ok that's good enough for me. And to think all those bloody teachers said I'd amount to nothing thumbs up
ModusOp
mrbloor wrote:
I use my ears, if it sounds ok that's good enough for me. And to think all those bloody teachers said I'd amount to nothing thumbs up

I can dig it! Hahaha. smokin'
amnesia
I am looking to buy a Plumbutter 2 if anyone has one to sell.
meska
Me too !! hihi
andriesvds
all sounds from the plumi - exept the "vulcano eruptions" thats the telemark triggered by the man with the red steam... hihi
mrbloor
andries, wow nice work thumbs up
ModusOp
Very awesome, andries! nanners
aux-in
https://soundcloud.com/aux-in-sounds/city-streets

plumbutter + wires + hands
kozepz
andriesvds wrote:
all sounds from the plumi - exept the "vulcano eruptions" thats the telemark triggered by the man with the red steam... hihi

Fantastic work Andries! w00t
What's triggering the purple input of mwrs?
andriesvds
tnx remco.

the purple input of the mwrs is triggered by one of the yellow jacks of the ultrasound.
kozepz
andriesvds wrote:
tnx remco.

the purple input of the mwrs is triggered by one of the yellow jacks of the ultrasound.

That's great, love those random blurps!
andriesvds
the actual trigger comes from the deerhorn - when i move my right hand to it the upper red jack starts the sequence on the mwrs and the speed of the mwst is controlled by one of the rolls.
kozepz
andriesvds wrote:
the actual trigger comes from the deerhorn - when i move my right hand to it the upper red jack starts the sequence on the mwrs and the speed of the mwst is controlled by one of the rolls.

thumbs up great way to control the randomnessesss

and than feeding back an orange from mwrs in the verso, the one that makes the roll slow down, of the roll providing the clock razz
Oldstench
I didn't spring for a ground jack on the PB2. Am I screwed if I want to be able to send each voice (via the white naner) to an external mixer? I'd love to multitrack this sucker and be able to collapse the extreme stereo effect.
mrbloor
If it has a socket for 9v battery (mine does but it's v1) you could croc clip the negative connection to a ground on the mixing desk. It worked for me thumbs up

The v1 is easy to add one, I'm just too lazy, not so sure for v2
Oldstench
Thanks, I'll give this a try. The worst that would happen if I didn't ground it would be hella noise, right?
wednesdayayay
When I tried to send stuff from the PB1 to the CQ 1 it sounded like a noise source without proper grounding
mrbloor
Hum
Bacchus
I asked if a ground jack could be included on my PB 2 (which Pete is currently building), and his response was that it includes one anyway. I guess it's a standard feature again now.
fredguy
Oldstench wrote:
I didn't spring for a ground jack on the PB2. Am I screwed if I want to be able to send each voice (via the white naner) to an external mixer? I'd love to multitrack this sucker and be able to collapse the extreme stereo effect.

As long as you send the pb outputs to an unused mixer channel you should be fine.
Oldstench
fredguy wrote:

As long as you send the pb outputs to an unused mixer channel you should be fine.

I just got an email from Peter saying the same thing. I guess I got one of the earlier PB2s without a ground jack built in. This is fun!

Doesn't really matter thought. Now I just need to figure out the proper way to wire banana to 1/4" and I'm golden.
qstate
Just got my pb2. It seems a bit dirty with saw dust, rough edges, and little bits of wood between the knobs and surrounding wood.

Is this a typical finish?
Oldstench
Mine was the same way. There were some chunks left in the routed channels on the mixer and the deerhorn, a couple of knobs wouldn't turn without a little extra pressure because they get caught on little bits of wood, etc.

I think it gives more of a handmade (which it is) vibe, but if you're super anal about fit and finish I can see you getting upset about it.
cebec
Yep, it's pretty standard for Peter's instruments. Even if it seems perfect at first, look closely and you're bound to find a well-placed, intentional flaw somewhere.
qstate
Oldstench wrote:

I think it gives more of a handmade (which it is) vibe, but if you're super anal about fit and finish I can see you getting upset about it.

Yeah, not anal about it just wanted a reality check on "normal".
wednesdayayay
absolutely normal in my experience as well

I used a clay sculpting tool to help define the CNC'd grooves as well as cleaning them of debris
chorus7
It bugged me when I first got mine then it grew on me... Now I find it great cause I feel that its that much closer to its creation and not just a factory churned piece...Makes each one distinct...
mrcharles
I'm seriously thinking about getting one myself...

I've wondered if it is possible to transfer the workings to a case that I would make?

Anyone attempt to do this?
wednesdayayay
Hmm you might ask Peter
It would be much easier with the PB 2
The issue I see is that the manners and the pots are board mounted although a bit of desoldering and some lengths of wire should adequately handle that problem

Would you want to completely redesign the interface and case or just put it as is into another case?

Double plumbutter is a someday dream
mrcharles
I would respect the current configuration/interface... So it would be an "as is" transfer...

My only interest would be to craft a custom enclosure/case... Something in black palm, perhaps...
wednesdayayay
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=101846&postdays=0&po storder=asc&start=100

have a look at this page. I have posted some inside shots of my CQ2

I have to get inside my coco soon to resolder a banana jack so I will get a better picture for your needs as I cut the ones the showed the enclosure in favor of the ones that showed mostly electronics

when you unscrew the 12 screws or so on the face of the PB2 it will split into two parts

the bottom is just a wooden case with holes cut in specific places

the top part contains everything else
so to make this work you would have to unsolder all the banana jacks and take all the rubber knobs off
I am not sure if peter uses anything else to hold the top wood to the PCB like glue or other components I'm not thinking of.

but honestly If you told peter you wanted a PB to enclose yourself maybe he would work something out with you so you don't have to unsolder stuff

please keep us abreast of whatever happens as I'd love to know how open PB is to this idea and I'm sure everyone would want to see what you put together
mrcharles
wednesdayayay wrote:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=101846&postdays=0&po storder=asc&start=100

have a look at this page. I have posted some inside shots of my CQ2

I have to get inside my coco soon to resolder a banana jack so I will get a better picture for your needs as I cut the ones the showed the enclosure in favor of the ones that showed mostly electronics

when you unscrew the 12 screws or so on the face of the PB2 it will split into two parts

the bottom is just a wooden case with holes cut in specific places

the top part contains everything else
so to make this work you would have to unsolder all the banana jacks and take all the rubber knobs off
I am not sure if peter uses anything else to hold the top wood to the PCB like glue or other components I'm not thinking of.

but honestly If you told peter you wanted a PB to enclose yourself maybe he would work something out with you so you don't have to unsolder stuff

please keep us abreast of whatever happens as I'd love to know how open PB is to this idea and I'm sure everyone would want to see what you put together

Thanks for the responses... I'm an absolute novice with soldering, etc... But I've got manual skills...

I'll check out your link with interest... And welcome any additional pics/insights...

Thanks...
deltaphoenix
Okay..I have a PB2!
I have been mostly reading stuff here, on/off for awhile. So I ended up scoring Dude's Sidrassi, the custom WRDRM edition built by Meng Qi has the touchpoint nanas but with new barres and case, so HAWT.
I have had the PB on my mind for quite awhile, so I sold a piece of gear that I was kind of nervous to sell in order to take a chance on the PB2…

I had my first wiggle session, I followed some of the patches on the PB patch thread and then modified them because I knew I wanted to actually hear some sounds and yeah, I had some good moments. Obviously I don't know much about the PlumButter yet but I had moments of drums and drama.
I definitely want to keep diving in to get more familiar with everything but it is going to take a bit until I can dive n as often as I want, I have to finish remodeling my garage into the music room/studio space.

thumbs up
chorus7
deltaphoenix Glad you finally got it thumbs up w00t give it time your going to love it... Seriously the hardest part to get through is that anything will and should go into anything and that if you can stack another banana then do it...

Your in for some serious drama!

Also post pics when music room is done thumbs up
wednesdayayay
congrats on the PB just don't write any module off as they all have some great burps and blurps to provide

I was not really having much luck with the deerhorn until recently when I read raja talking about sending a output into the orange banana of the deerhorn to simulate movement events

please do post pics of your setup
RajaTheWigglinWanker
wednesdayayay wrote:
I was not really having much luck with the deerhorn until recently when I read raja talking about sending a output into the orange banana of the deerhorn to simulate movement...

though I know I'm still such a noob to ciat gear let alone analog synths in general, I'm honored to have gained a little wiggle-cred by this trick, haha thumbs up
and I found it doing exactly as chorus7 described "anything will and should go into anything"... So ya: have fun exploring, congrats, and welcome to the rabbit-banana-jack! (<-instead of 'rabbit hole'... See what I did there? See? Lolhammer! )
deltaphoenix
Thanks everyone! Now I just have to make it through work today to get another session in!
chorus7
Quote:
Thanks everyone! Now I just have to make it through work today to get another session in!

Man I feel the exact same way! very frustrating I've had a patch idea burning a hole in my head all day and I won't have a chance to get into the studio until the weekend... Now I just hope I can read my notes on the patch or at least decider them hihi
mrbloor
deltaphoenix wrote:
Okay..I have a PB2!
So I ended up scoring Dude's Sidrassi, the custom WRDRM edition built by Meng Qi has the touchpoint nanas but with new barres and case, so HAWT.
thumbs up

nice one, I have Dudes original CL sidrassi thumbs up
deltaphoenix
SO yeah, I had an awesome session with the PlumButter this evening. I had some Drums going nicely, some excellent droning with movement and flutters. The mixer makes it nice to fade parts in and out, just YES!!!
Any doubts are gone MY ASS IS BLEEDING

I am going to record the patch sometime tomorrow. Hopefully it sounds kind of the same when I turn it on lol

What a lovely instrument.
asteroid anxiety
deltaphoenix wrote:
Hopefully it sounds kind of the same when I turn it on lol

Mine never does.
chorus7
Quote:
Hopefully it sounds kind of the same when I turn it on

Neither does mine hihi ...I think it actually never turns off and that little spark of electricity inside of it loops around and makes it do it's thing even when it's unplugged... It's self aware... Little neural networks of small electric impulses telling itself what to do...

It's kind of like taking batteries out of a 303 and then getting a random patch the next time you put them back in... w00t
deltaphoenix
So, in Peter's documentation about the PB, he says the MWRS should be the most straight forward... Okay the snare and cosmic dust is straight forward but what keeping the 8 steps going? I output from a Rollz to the clock, nothing happens, I push the red button and the LEDs light up and run through the sequence once or twice.
What type of behavior should I expect?
wednesdayayay
Plug an orange from the rollz into the clock and your sequence runs in time with the roll
Plug an orange out from a rollz into the purple Data input and you will turn the bits in the sequence on or off depending on its voltage

There are two states of bits on or off

If you take an out say orange 7 on MWRS and plug it back into the purple input it will loop bits indefinitely

A fun randomizer
White from snare for clock
Gray from snare for data
If set correctly with the right a out of decay this will randomize your sequence with every snare trigger
chorus7
Here is the part from the webpage...

Quote:
To recirculate data, connect one of the four orange bananas back to purple.

So do everything the same as you did but this time when the pulse gets to the orange banana that you plugged into the purple banana it will loop back to the beginning...
deltaphoenix
Thank you gentlemen!
deltaphoenix
deltaphoenix

This is a fun dubby patch. Sounds okay with headphones.
RajaTheWigglinWanker
nice, got some really great mixes there of all the modules together.
and then i watched through all other of the 20 vids on your youtube account. love the sounds from that serge and also of the polygamist.
cool stuff It's motherfucking bacon yo
deltaphoenix
Thanks, I appreciate that. I look forward to finishing my studio space and getting some better recordings of my gear.

OOofff, I wish I still had that Polygamist...
wednesdayayay
so it seems like the gonz mode for the gong is cv'ing the resonance right?
while trad does the cutoff type modulations

I always had the idea in my head it was more Lopass trad and gonz was bandpass or something

or have I got this all wrong again Dead Banana I love these things

some nice watery sounds can be had when messing around with gongs in their gonz state by inserting a gray (form the coco) output from the tussy section
kozepz
deltaphoenix wrote:

This is a fun dubby patch. Sounds okay with headphones.

Nice dub!

One of the things I enjoy most in Plumbutter is the way to influence its timing. Its just the best drum machine with the sexiest grooves.
deltaphoenix
Thanks and I am really coming around to your belief…this is one sexy drum, groove, soul machine.

I was jamming on my djembe with the PB2 tonight and I got to thinking about micing the djembe and running that through the AV dogs…

My studio/jam room is SO CLOSE to being done. I am painting it this weekend.

So many experiments coming up MY ASS IS BLEEDING
wednesdayayay
congrats @deltaphoenix that is a special feeling
andriesvds
[soundcloud url="http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/164590189" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
mrbloor
Really great tones going there Andries
andriesvds
tnx. i'm trying to make it sound like a poorman's buchla/serge... hihi
andriesvds
some plumbutter samples processed with audacity.

[soundcloud url="http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/165034530" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
windspirit
I also cant afford a buchla! Hifive!
fredguy
plumbutter 2 and a grendel drone commander live take.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/165103638" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
mrbloor
Fredguy, loved it thumbs up
chorus7
I've been away on vacation and man I've missed some great stuff here! Nice work guys It's peanut butter jelly time! these just inspired me to get into the studio! we're not worthy
wednesdayayay
I've just had a big move around in the house and I'll get to start making some music again soon Guinness ftw!

really love the droney stuff as it is so different than what I tend to hear/do with the plumbutter

the one with drone commander has some wonderfully avian qualities
asteroid anxiety
Great sounds Andries!
andriesvds
a like those low freqs of the plumi... hihi

COMZ
Here's a little soundscape using the PB2 as source, and PD for FX duties:

[s]https://soundcloud.com/comzone/mercury-coherence[/s]

hyper
andriesvds
great work here w00t applause
chorus7
COMZ Damn thats amazing! Nice!… eek! we're not worthy
asteroid anxiety
Outstanding! but what is PD?
wednesdayayay
I am imagining puredata
It is so much fun I actually just redownloaded it a couple days ago after having to redo my computer

I used to have a coolio patch I made originally in puredata that I eventually tried to port several times to max. I am going to try and find it or makeit again.

I would love to know any extra tidbits about the PB patch.
mrbloor
Really, totally excellent work Comz thumbs up

Guys I hope your submitting some tracks to the Game of Life, 'made of wood 2" compilation. Done mine thumbs up

submit 2 tracks, max 15min, release date November, closing date for submissions mid Oct, contact info for tracks and questions: gameoflife.label@gmail.com
deltaphoenix
Lots of good stuff posted in the past few days.
I am going to have a month to work on the tracks that I will submit. I should be moving stuff into the new music room this weekend. MY ASS IS BLEEDING
fredguy
Lately I've been enjoying the pb as a drone machine.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/166879660" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
RajaTheWigglinWanker
wednesdayayay wrote:
patch I made originally in puredata that I eventually tried to port several times to max.
I would love to know any extra tidbits about the PB patch.

Lemme know if you ever need help with that wednesdayayay, I'm no expert at PD but because it's open-source have looked at its ins and outs quite a bit(recently just ported c code of fdn~ over to a Max/MSP external:
http://cycling74.com/forums/topic/sharing-for-requesting-help-trying-t o-make-a-feedback-delay-network-in-gen/ )

Ya, COMZ, that sounded great! (Like wednesdayayayay, I'd also love to hear about any extra PD tidbits and DSP fx.) nanners

(Shit I almost forgot! Thanks for the reminder, mrbloor!)
wednesdayayay
thank you so much @raja I will take you up on this offer. Plibt (the pd patch I'm using) is mostly 2 20 second variable delay lines being driven by bonk~ into many randomizers, drunks, delays (for bang messages), and pipes. One version included some pitch shifting and a repeater but I think I'll strip those out for now.

I really liked the drone butter piece @fredguy were you mostly manually wiggling or was that done with some kind of CV?
fredguy
wednesdayayay wrote:
I really liked the drone butter piece @fredguy were you mostly manually wiggling or was that done with some kind of CV?

Manual wiggling. Haven't had much luck with external cv.
PB prefers hands on control. Thanks for listening.
andriesvds
some bass.
joey
just ordered a PB2 yesterday... so stoked!
wednesdayayay
congrats @joey you should have fun let us know when it arrives

on a PB2 note I got some interesting results today

triggering the deerhorn back and forth through the orange input is pretty wacky but it got me thinking about something new

triggering the deerhorn at audio rates works really well at least from a ringing gong. you can then derive a new wave shape from the red deerhorn outputs which I can post a scope shot of. Only low enough frequencies allow for the triggering to happen so ring your gong by turning the Q all the way up and then turn up your frequency (this gets loud so watch your speakers) up until it begins to self oscillate (I like the ringing gong idea rather than just saying self oscillating as it adds the mysterious soup that covers the plumbutter naturally). Now plug your white output from the gong into the orange input of the deerhorn then plug a red out into one of your deerhorn (or into the green in on a cocoquantus or something to allow you to hear your signal). Then you just have to turn your gong frequency down until you hear the wave from the red out of the Deerhorn. Sometimes you have to re-sweep the frequency to get the full ring so as to trigger the deerhorn thus making the wave.

something like a sub oscillator
if you have a double PB you could then use the first red output wave to trigger your other deerhorn then mix in 2 octaves of sub osc's with 2 phases each. Phase may not be the right term here
GhostlyMostly
sooooooo i just got an email from peter today and the PB 2 is in the mail and headed this way It's motherfucking bacon yo nanners It's motherfucking bacon yo

Next week the CQ2 gets here and its going to be one otherworldly party when that lands.
I have been reading this thread and am almost all the way through. Thanks to you folks for pioneering and sharing the nuggets collected over time. thumbs up

I was going to expand my euro and it dawned on me that it would be a wise decision to add a PB and a CQ instead of another case etc. I like to think it was a smart move?!?

I will make recording of some initial experiences once they both land, thanks for all help in this thread, some really great stuff in here (knowledge based and art based). cheers
wednesdayayay
the amazing thing about the plumbutter to me is once I got one I felt like I had always had it and I'm still (as you can see from the post just above yours) learning how to use the synth in new ways I hadn't thought of

I believe the fantastic pugix (pugix.com has some really cool ciat lonbarde related writings I would suggest perusing through there) lives in NC as well

the PB and CQ combo is just nuts

something I've been playing with lately is the gray outs of the coco sending into the aux ins on the gongs. The gray outputs will always send out audio it doesn't matter if the feedback knobs are up. So then the volume of the gong is the feedback setting. Where things can get explodey is if you then plug the white outs of the gongs into the green inputs of the other coco. I haven't taken it to this last step yet just using the gongs for a filtered feedback. What I did do was take the white outs form the gong and plugged them into the green ins of the deerhorns.

I am looking forward to your videos

thumbs up
pugix
I need to get PB out for more action. Lately I've been patching CQ Castle outputs into the Sizrazzi. If you have the new Sid with bananas, be sure to patch into the gray jack that controls all the oscillator frequencies, like the left knob.

P.S. I'm about to build the Meng Qi Rollz-5 with a bunch of mods. Rolls-5 is like a double Plumbutter but without CV inputs.
ClausF
...and without the Deerhorn(s)...

BTW: great work with the Rollz-5 circuits on your page!
deltaphoenix
Hey Everybody, My music room is done enough to move my gear in there and do a bit of recording!!!! So Happy!

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/170393298" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

What out at the end, I lowered the gain on the recording to save our ears but still be able to enjoy that madness.
andriesvds
drone.

it's time to remove some dust from that subwoofer...hihi

kozepz
Great vibe Andries, love the deerhorn gestures!
andriesvds
thanks Remco!

i guess the plumi is a keeper - i wasn't sure for a while though... meh
kozepz
andriesvds wrote:
thanks Remco!

i guess the plumi is a keeper - i wasn't sure for a while though... meh

thumbs up
Inspiration comes in many forms, sometimes its not plumbutter hihi
mrbloor
Andries, stunning work. That sound had me totally captivated thumbs up
andriesvds
thanks a lot. Mr. Green
filmersam
Absolutely loving my PB2!
Thanks for all the tips in this thread, I'm discovering new tricks daily.

A couple of questions though:

Mentioned earlier in the thread that the orange jack on deerhorn is an input?
I thought this was an output (a theta wave transcription of your hand movements, interpreted by it's PLL)

In the Rollz-5, which is the 3 roll and 4 roll? The manual doesn't discern between the two.

An oscilloscope has proved very useful for understanding this lovely machine, which smells rich of some tangy, exotic wood oil...

Thanks!
aux-in
Yes - orange is supposed to be an output, but users have discovered that it can act as in input too in some cases. I've found similar oddities and unexpected behaviours in other areas, which are always enjoyable to discover (to me).

Do you mean rollz-5 instrument? Or the rolls section on the PB2?
On PB2, 3 roll has 3 jacks (2 brown and one orange ); 4 roll has 4 jacks ( 3 brown and one orange). (I'd expect on rollz-5 something similar w/ jack count. )
mrbloor
Rolzer
kozepz
aux-in wrote:
Yes - orange is supposed to be an output, but users have discovered that it can act as in input too in some cases.

Great tip! Never intentionally tried it, but just connected an orange roll to the pll and its starts playing the deer horn alternating between top and bottom.

Than I connected an brown roll to the pll, and it triggers the top deer horn.

Opens up a whole new spectrum, thanks!
RajaTheWigglinWanker
kozepz wrote:
aux-in wrote:
Yes - orange is supposed to be an output, but users have discovered that it can act as in input too in some cases.

Great tip! Never intentionally tried it, but just connected an orange roll to the pll and its starts playing the deer horn alternating between top and bottom.

That was me, see the monome thread... (since it's my only productive/helpful contribution to this community, I will claim my credit egomaniacally, muahahahahahahaaaaa!)
You're welcome Dead Banana
kozepz
...hmmm, and I even replied that it was a great find...but then again, its two months ago Rasta-nana hmmm.....
andriesvds
messing around with the plumi is just fun.

kozepz
...and it'll never stop Andries thumbs up
cebec
kozepz wrote:
aux-in wrote:

I wonder if this is only on the v1... I tried it with a variety of different signals going into the PLL input but the behavior was not consistently reproducible on my v2. In fact, it seemed to only work once and after I moved my hand within range.
sungja
andriesvds wrote:

Some really great stuff you got going there! Was it only the Plumbutter?
wednesdayayay
The orange pll jack works fine on my v2 just turn the response tuning knob for the deer horn all the way up
Dirty_Bill
cebec wrote:

I wonder if this is only on the v1... I tried it with a variety of different signals going into the PLL input but the behavior was not consistently reproducible on my v2. In fact, it seemed to only work once and after I moved my hand within range.

Same here with my PB2 - I can get PLL to trigger one shot with the top deer horn. I may try some of the paper rollz I have, and of course, it could be dependent on what else is patched where on the plumi...
andriesvds
sungja wrote:
andriesvds wrote:

Some really great stuff you got going there! Was it only the Plumbutter?

tnx a lot.

midi/cv from octatrack, after 0:35 you hear some simple octa hi hats. all other sounds from plumbutter.
sungja
I suspected there was other machines in there. Anyway, great sounds from the PB.
cebec
Dirty_Bill wrote:
cebec wrote:

Same here with my PB2 - I can get PLL to trigger one shot with the top deer horn. I may try some of the paper rollz I have, and of course, it could be dependent on what else is patched where on the plumi...

I got this working once I turned the response fine tune knob fully counter-clockwise. I also turned up the Deerhorn level all the way.

Anyone know what kind of tool I'd need to tweak the response trimmers?
kozepz
@andries
Plum could indeed use pitch over the hihat/snare hihi

@cebec
The setting of the top knob of the deer horn seems to be the trick. thanks!

For the v1 you can use a fine screwdriver, for v2 it was written somewhere in another thread...but it had to be very fine hmmm.....
wednesdayayay
PB 2 has trimmers for the DH as well
some things trigger the deerhorns response through the orange jack better than others
for instance the orange outs of the cocoquantus for instances waves for side to side as you would expect
Dirty_Bill
cebec wrote:

I got this working once I turned the response fine tune knob fully counter-clockwise. I also turned up the Deerhorn level all the way.

Anyone know what kind of tool I'd need to tweak the response trimmers?

I'll try that. I use a non-magnetic 'tweaker' screwdriver but any small flathead jewelers screwdriver should work...
andriesvds
some saturday noodling. octatrack used for midi and some effects.

kozepz
Love these still images with sound Andries! Guinness ftw!
andriesvds
tnx remco.

hope to see some light in my creative music tunnel soon... meh

if not i just keep on making this shit... hihi
kozepz
andriesvds wrote:
tnx remco.

hope to see some light in my creative music tunnel soon... meh

if not i just keep on making this shit... hihi

More of this shit please, before the light starts shining again! SlayerBadger!
(although I do enjoy that pee too w00t )
Klipspringer
I have an intermittent banana jack on one of the Gongue's green inputs. If I wioggle it it works OK so it's just a mechanical issue I'm pretty sure.

Does anyone have some guidance on how to fix this?

Edit: Never mind fixed. Took the board off the plank and re-soldered the connection.
Donderdag
I was just going to suggest opening it up. Peter suggested the same to me when I was troubleshooting issue with my PB. Glad to hear you sorted it out thumbs up
wednesdayayay
fixing banana jacks is pretty easy but I can imagine a knob would be trouble
Klipspringer
wednesdayayay wrote:
fixing banana jacks is pretty easy but I can imagine a knob would be trouble

I could see that. I was in a bit of a rush to fix it, else I would have studied the instrument more carefully!
mrbloor
I have only ever worked on a Roolz Gewei, replacing all the knobs. It's a case of desoldering all the nodes or in the case of plumbutters, the nana's. Once you release all the hardware, jacks, switches & deerhorn the pcb can be released.
Peter uses ALPs potentiometers which are pretty long life, the alps on the roolz were a design which couldn't really survive a knock & Peter doesn't use nuts due to the thickness of wood.
It's only work but I would be wary of any impact to the top panel, after the time & effort it took me on the Roolz I am super careful. I would also advise suitable protection when taking these things out, it may look like a plank of wood but it is a work of art and should be treated as such thumbs up
Klipspringer
mrbloor wrote:
... it may look like a plank of wood but it is a work of art and should be treated as such thumbs up

Indeed it is.
gigasturtz
well i guess i'll bump it here even though i res'd the older thread, but i ordered a plumbutter and now i don't know what to do with myself until it gets here.

anyone have a link for a good power supply on amazon or something?
gigasturtz
it comes tomorrow!! ! ! ! ! ! must start wiggling.
Donderdag
gigasturtz wrote:
it comes tomorrow!! ! ! ! ! ! must start wiggling.

thumbs up I hope you have lots of banana cables ready!
gigasturtz
indeed! and supplies for more on the way. now to stock up on 9 volts till i track down a power supply.
megamaeng
deltaphoenix wrote:

This was great! Is it all plumbutter? For some reason it sounds "different" than other videos. Do you think it was possible to do all that but with the snare sound going in half time or is all that happening because of the frequency of the snare.

I've had my cq2 for a week and it's deeper than anything I've used before and yet I'm already looking into the pb2! It just seems like the perfect combo help
deltaphoenix
Yes, that was all PlumButter.

I am sure that the snare could play in half time.

I am missing my PB2 (but liking my Serge)... d'oh!
Donderdag
deltaphoenix wrote:

I am missing my PB2 (but liking my Serge)... d'oh!

Don't worry, he's found a good home thumbs up

[s]https://soundcloud.com/boysofalpha/plumberanglushdemo[/s]
megamaeng
deltaphoenix wrote:
Yes, that was all PlumButter.

I am sure that the snare could play in half time.

Thanks for the info!

Oldstench wrote:

I know it's been said before but HOLY SHIT this is insanely awesome!! (I'm making my way backwards through this thread haha)

Is it safe to say that what goes on after 1:00 is something I could consistently coax out of the pb2? I'm talking about the aggro bass and head snapping cadence to the beat. Or is there some sorcery going on (or is it the result of the bit crushing effect added?). Such a unique pb2 demo SlayerBadger!
Oldstench
megamaeng wrote:

I know it's been said before but HOLY SHIT this is insanely awesome!! (I'm making my way backwards through this thread haha)

Is it safe to say that what goes on after 1:00 is something I could consistently coax out of the pb2? I'm talking about the aggro bass and head snapping cadence to the beat. Or is there some sorcery going on (or is it the result of the bit crushing effect added?). Such a unique pb2 demo SlayerBadger!

I appreciate it. The timbre is mostly the bitcrushing effect. The patterns are all PB2 though. That was all done in one take. Experiment with running the gongue and avdogs through the ultrasound.

On an unrelated note, some of my trig ins aren't triggering anymore :( Guess I'll need to see if Peter can fix it.
megamaeng
Thanks for the info! I have to admit that my fascination with the pb stems more from my immediate love of the cocoquantus rather than the sounds produced. It's good to know that effects down the line can change the results significantly. I'm usually not a fan of bitcrushing but in this case it sounded very organic.

Can anyone share their favorite uses of pairing a pb and cq? Can the pb2 help bring out more rhythmic results from the sample inside the cq? Can the cq modulate the pb in ways that it can't itself and create even crazier grooves? By crazy I don't mean more complicated, just more unique I suppose.
wednesdayayay
I think one of my 3 rollz is not working anymore
everything else is triggered just fine (gongs, avdogs, ultrasound) but the rollz doesn't seems to have any effect anymore except every once and a while while unplugging very frustrating

I have one triangle output on my CQ that isn't working which I can deal with (just haven't opened it up to solder it back together which is what I assume is wrong) but a whole rollz isn't going to cut it so I guess I'll have to send it back to peter unless anyone has any ideas
Donderdag
wednesdayayay wrote:
I think one of my 3 rollz is not working anymore
everything else is triggered just fine (gongs, avdogs, ultrasound) but the rollz doesn't seems to have any effect anymore except every once and a while while unplugging very frustrating

I have one triangle output on my CQ that isn't working which I can deal with (just haven't opened it up to solder it back together which is what I assume is wrong) but a whole rollz isn't going to cut it so I guess I'll have to send it back to peter unless anyone has any ideas

Did you plug something "fishy" into the brown jack? hihi

Seriously though, if it occasionally works when unplugging maybe the banana jack(s) are loose? Did you try opening to check? I noticed the other night that one of the connections from one of the Gongues (can't remember which) only worked with the banana sorta halfway in and wiggled just right... definitely didn't work right when it was in all the way like it should, and does, with the other jacks hmmm..... You could try to see if something similar is going on with your Rollz by using a wire with stripped ends.
deltaphoenix
I hope you get your gear sorted out Wednesdayayay!

I may be coming back in to the CL fold soon… Really been missing my PB2 and I want to learn the ways of the Coco.

Rockin' Banana!
Dirty_Bill
deltaphoenix wrote:
I hope you get your gear sorted out Wednesdayayay!

I may be coming back in to the CL fold soon… Really been missing my PB2 and I want to learn the ways of the Coco.

Rockin' Banana!

We'll welcome you with open arms! Really loving the Coco lately myself...
wednesdayayay
at the moment I'm just happy it is only one 3 roll that is messed up I'll get inside at some point for now I'll just try to work around it

I just don't really want to bug peter with this even though he's offered his rates to fix things like this previously (when it was just one bad connection this is a whole 3 roll)

on a completely related note does anyone with some electronics knowledge want to build me a 3 roll (or 2 roll lol looking at you pugix like you've got time) I would be more than happy to

EDIT: I'm going to email peter and see if he would mind me potentially having one built by someone else rather than sending it to him but will leave the request up here until I hear otherwise
Mr. Sound Boy King
Sorry for replying to such an old thread but this seems like a catch-all for Plumbutter 2 infotainment. I've been enjoying studying all your sounds!

I've got one on order and look forward to its arrival.

Here's a quick question:

I'm interested in using the Plumbutter as a controller for my trusty Machinedrum mkII (my main axe for lo these past 7 years).

Would it be cool to run the PB2's CV outs into a drum brain (DTXPRESS)? I use the brain to convert chaos stuff into MIDI all the time but only using regular old drum triggers. For example, I made a MIDI wind chime using the triggers which caused very many satisfying bL0RPS to emanate from the Elektron.

I am not versed in electrical engineering (and have never worked with modular synths) so have no real idea if PB2 --> drum brain --> Machinedrum concept would function.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Donderdag
Mr. Sound Boy King wrote:
Sorry for replying to such an old thread but this seems like a catch-all for Plumbutter 2 infotainment. I've been enjoying studying all your sounds!

Here's a quick question:

I'm interested in using the Plumbutter as a controller for my trusty Machinedrum mkII (my main axe for lo these past 7 years).

Would it be cool to run the PB2's CV outs into a drum brain (DTXPRESS)? I use the brain to convert chaos stuff into MIDI all the time but only using regular old drum triggers. For example, I made a MIDI wind chime using the triggers which caused very many satisfying bL0RPS to emanate from the Elektron.

I am not versed in electrical engineering (and have never worked with modular synths) so have no real idea if PB2 --> drum brain --> Machinedrum concept would function.

Not sure what type of signals the drum brain is looking for in terms of duration and amplitude, but this thread will give you the specs for the signals from the Plumbutter's various jacks.

Let us know how it goes thumbs up
Mr. Sound Boy King
Donderdag wrote:

Here's a quick question:

Not sure what type of signals the drum brain is looking for in terms of duration and amplitude, but this thread will give you the specs for the signals from the Plumbutter's various jacks.

Let us know how it goes thumbs up

Hey, thanks! When the thing arrives I'll definitely try to work out the style and post some proof-of-concept (or not, if that's how the cookie crumbles).
Easterner
Hello,

This is my first post on MW - I've been reading for a while though. I enjoy making music with a Eurorack system, as well as standalone vintage synths, contemporary instruments, circuit bent machines, induction coil mics etc. Bit of a genre-bender - play and write everything from noise/glitch/minimalist beats to experimental jazz/r&b to indie rock/pop and more.

I've recently ventured into the weird and wonderful world of Ciat-Lonbarde, having received a Plumbutter 2 from Peter this month, after learning what I can in this forum, watching videos and listening to audio clips. I'm already enjoying it a lot - it is very inspiring, it often surprises and takes you in unexpected directions, it sounds wonderful, and it works well with effects and some careful connections with other gear too. But i'm preaching to the choir!

I had two questions that I haven't seen addressed on MW, having searched for them; can anyone advise?

1) how long does the PB2 run on a 9V battery? I've seen one guess at 2-4 hours, but nothing conclusive. I'm thinking of taking it on some travels, and playing the PB2 off the grid would be amazing if reliable.

2) I'm using a stereo splitter for the audio out, the Hosa YMM-232 1/8" stereo male to dual 1/8" mono female adaptor, then two cables into a mixer. I don't hear stereo properly unless I pull the male jack some partial way out of the PB2 audio out socket. Pushing it al the way in results in only one channel of audio. The same-looking jack on my stereo earphones seems to not have a problem receiving both PB2 L and R audio channels when I push the earphone jack all the way in. Any thoughts?

In any case, I'm glad to be part of a great forum.

Happy holidays!
Donderdag
Easterner wrote:
Hello,

This is my first post on MW - I've been reading for a while though. I enjoy making music with a Eurorack system, as well as standalone vintage synths, contemporary instruments, circuit bent machines, induction coil mics etc. Bit of a genre-bender - play and write everything from noise/glitch/minimalist beats to experimental jazz/r&b to indie rock/pop and more.

I've recently ventured into the weird and wonderful world of Ciat-Lonbarde, having received a Plumbutter 2 from Peter this month, after learning what I can in this forum, watching videos and listening to audio clips. I'm already enjoying it a lot - it is very inspiring, it often surprises and takes you in unexpected directions, it sounds wonderful, and it works well with effects and some careful connections with other gear too. But i'm preaching to the choir!

I had two questions that I haven't seen addressed on MW, having searched for them; can anyone advise?

1) how long does the PB2 run on a 9V battery? I've seen one guess at 2-4 hours, but nothing conclusive. I'm thinking of taking it on some travels, and playing the PB2 off the grid would be amazing if reliable.

2) I'm using a stereo splitter for the audio out, the Hosa YMM-232 1/8" stereo male to dual 1/8" mono female adaptor, then two cables into a mixer. I don't hear stereo properly unless I pull the male jack some partial way out of the PB2 audio out socket. Pushing it al the way in results in only one channel of audio. The same-looking jack on my stereo earphones seems to not have a problem receiving both PB2 L and R audio channels when I push the earphone jack all the way in. Any thoughts?

Happy holidays!

Welcome to Muffs Easterner!

2) I had a similar problem (maybe), though half my plum was busted but switched breakout cables and now it works. I guess the exact position/length of the TRS points on jacks isn't universal so only some work with the plum seriously, i just don't get it I would suggest trying to find an adapter that exactly matches your headphones since those work. Good luck!
easyskywalker
Quote:
Hello,

Happy holidays!

Ha, it's a bit like reading my own story, been lurking here for a while, especially the Ciat Lonbarde threads, use a eurorack system and vintage gear, circuit bending, etc... Cool!
My Plumbutter arrived a few days ago, and it's everything I thought it would be. Super-cool!

1) I used the Plumbutter with a 9 volt rechargeable battery yesterday, and I got about three hours out of it. Then Deerhorn started to be irresponsive and the snare became inaudible. You might get a bit more out of an alkaline battery of course...

Best, Easy
ClausF
Haha, I have the same story, not so much vintage synths but guitars. And synths, modular, noise boxes, circuit bending.

2) Yes, not all types of jacks and plugs are the same, some work, some not. Same with Eurorack btw. Try to find one that fits. I also remember a thread here, where the jack in a PB (or Coco) had to be re-soldered. I never use adaptors here, this is too wobbly with this little jacks. I only use a Y-cable (stereo 3,5 male jack, min. 1,5m cable and it dos not matter, what is on the other side because with the longer cable adaptors here do not stress the jack of the PB2)
Easterner
Thank you for your replies, Donderdag, easyskywalker, ClausF!

Yes, I also mess around with guitars, vocals, and other instruments too, at times.

I'll try some different jacks for the audio out. I'm using a Y-cable too, so as not to stress the PB2 socket.

And sounds like 9V isn't going to go very far... will stick to a solid supply of power via the Voodoo Labs 4x4.
andriesvds
some plumi noise:

adammokan
After a week with the Cocoquantus, I pulled the trigger on a PB2 this morning. I'm afraid my eurorack system will not be getting much use for a while...
ClausF
adammokan wrote:
After a week with the Cocoquantus, I pulled the trigger on a PB2 this morning. I'm afraid my eurorack system will not be getting much use for a while...

Exactly that happend here, but after a while I remembered it... thumbs up
Veeken
I am new here and stumbled during some reading at the plumbutter 2 ! I am sold ! Must have one ! hyper

Only minor problem is that i live in Europe Belgium, there seems not a dealer around in Europe.

Current setup is an Easel, machinedrum and the usual effects.
I did hear some nice stuff across these topics Rockin' Banana!
Dirty_Bill
Veeken wrote:
I am new here and stumbled during some reading at the plumbutter 2 ! I am sold ! Must have one ! hyper

Only minor problem is that i live in Europe Belgium, there seems not a dealer around in Europe.

Current setup is an Easel, machinedrum and the usual effects.
I did hear some nice stuff across these topics Rockin' Banana!

Best is to look for one on the secondary market. Peter will send you anything you want but you'll likely pay duties which makes them pricey for you Euros. They come up used pretty regularly.
easyskywalker
Quote:

Hi!

I ordered a Plumbutter 2 not too long ago from Peter, and it didn't take long to ship, just a few days. Shipping itself took 2 weeks to the Netherlands (as it was stuck in Norway for some reason for a week). I thought the taxes + customs were going to be around €400,-, but I had a pleasant surprise when the mailman asked me to pay €130,- for taxes and customs.
I'm in no position to promise you anything, but perhaps any other European Plumbutter owners can confirm this.
mrbloor
It seems like a raffle regarding import, I have been hit most times however my Sidrax came from Peter with nowt to pay. Whilst this is no guarantee you should definitely cost the tax into your purchase thumbs up
Veeken
I think i am gonna take the plunge. I want one so badly love
wavecircle
mrbloor wrote:
It seems like a raffle regarding import, I have been hit most times however my Sidrax came from Peter with nowt to pay. Whilst this is no guarantee you should definitely cost the tax into your purchase thumbs up

Buy so much, you can justify a flight to the US.
Veeken
Received my Plumbutter 2 a week ago. 109euroos taxes and customs hihi
ModusOp
Great tunes all around, friends... here, there, and everywhere! (CL Family Jams page included!) Rockin' Banana!

Edit: Question deleted. Problem solved.
ignacio
People, PB is worth the cost - customs, shipping, whatever. I've never been able to make sounds with my modular like I can with my PB.
andriesvds
plumbutter + octatrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12v9q6aGz_g

andriesvds
plumbutter ambient noise.

http://youtu.be/lgSz3DK0oSI

eightnine
I have been trying to get my octatrack to control my plumb via midi thru the Doepfer MCV4. I have the midi cable going in to the MCV4 and a 1/4" stereo to banana going out the MCV4 gate and into the plumb green inputs on the snare or MAN. But I cant seem to get a trigger signal going. What am I missing? is there a midi setting in the plumb that makes the triggers gontrol the gate output on the Doepfer? or is it something else? Thanks!!!
andriesvds
octa -> midi out -> mcv4 -> gate -> mwtrs (or other green inputs)
octa -> midi out -> mcv4 -> cv -> f.e. plumi FM (purple)
Doublecoolbossman
Peter's building my PB 2 now.. Can't wait to dive in!
Oldstench
Has anyone DIY-ed a ground jack on their PB2? If so, can you give some advice as in where to wire it?
jimmie
I wish Gongs, AvDogs and ultraSounds had individual volume control. Lower pitched tone is often masked by higher pitched tone...
wednesdayayay

I understand your pain @jimmie this is the closest I've gotten by using a meng qi voltage memory as a voltage offset into the blue verso/inverso's of the volume for each module

although I guess you could take all the individual outs and put them into a mixer...
jimmie
Yeah, that's the best effort one can do! goog work thumbs up only, those blue inputs are not as simple or too obvious when modulated within PB zombie I also wish attenuators or basic LFO so much but I'm trying to take this limitation positively for resulting in creative happy accidents hihi
wednesdayayay
I honestly don't use those blue inputs a whole lot because they are kind of weird when modulated by the PB itself but I think I'll be using them more now that I figured out they are pretty simple to use with the voltage memory

yeah attenuators would be awesome on the pb itself
they are fairly easy to diy though
I've got a couple different boxes that offer some passive solutions for mixing, switching, attenuating etc...

as for LFO I had good luck at one point bread boarding (with little to no idea what I was doing) an enveloper that would take the orange outs from the rollz and give them up and down slopes only using pots capacitors and maybe some resistors

I feel like the gray out on the gong doesn't do much when no pulse delay is added but it doesn't sit at zero maybe that could be used for creative mixing even if the module isn't being pulsed
jimmie
wednesdayayay wrote:

I feel like the gray out on the gong doesn't do much when no pulse delay is added but it doesn't sit at zero maybe that could be used for creative mixing even if the module isn't being pulsed

I didn't even think of utilizing grey out without plused! have to try that!

audio mixer(4 stereo inputs for CL gears, each stereo width controlable)/vcas/format convertor(mainly for external clock in-out)/some LFOs(like for the blue inputs) combined utility box in the ciat-lonbarde wooden style is what I dream of Mr. Green Peter may not be interested in such idea tho (because it's not an instrument..) Dead Banana
wednesdayayay
that would be a pretty great addition to this setup and if it were a matrix mixer to boot that would be just great
wednesdayayay
ok I was totally wrong about the gray out it doesn't really work
however an unpulsed gongs orange output will fully cut a sound out by putting it into the blue mixer inputs

also you can use the black ground from the plumbutter to do the same thing

something that offers some manual control would be the snare module (maybe even more control with a version 1 plumbutter as the controls are separated) take the gray output into one of the blue mixer inputs then vary the snares decay knob just play with it as it has some interesting things happening from fully cut out sound to mixing to noise

I'll have to keep experimenting to see what other good options are Dead Banana

I did try something I've never tried before (I posted the resulting videos to the family jams thread) because of you asking about this

a fully resonant gong being puslsed and having its own orange output going into the blue mixer input love
andriesvds
plumbutter selfrunner.

https://youtu.be/odFhJb-H6n8
jimmie
wednesdayayay wrote:
ok I was totally wrong about the gray out it doesn't really work
however an unpulsed gongs orange output will fully cut a sound out by putting it into the blue mixer inputs

also you can use the black ground from the plumbutter to do the same thing

something that offers some manual control would be the snare module (maybe even more control with a version 1 plumbutter as the controls are separated) take the gray output into one of the blue mixer inputs then vary the snares decay knob just play with it as it has some interesting things happening from fully cut out sound to mixing to noise

I'll have to keep experimenting to see what other good options are Dead Banana

I did try something I've never tried before (I posted the resulting videos to the family jams thread) because of you asking about this

a fully resonant gong being puslsed and having its own orange output going into the blue mixer input love

I'm also playing with snare's grey dust, blue(for decay) and blue(for stereo) inputs and having some interesting results. On my device blue inverso jack for decay doesn't seem effective with any input so I might have to re-solder the jack - eh for the 3rd time doing this zombie

'Tone' of the snare can't be altered (wish it had LPF or something for) but feeding Dust to Gong can make 'zappy' snare type sound which I like although I'd lose normal gong which is important..

By the way, "use ultrasound to get stepped tones from deerhorns" (from PB official sites' TIPS N TRICKS), I followed the instruction but it doesn't seem to work on my device. I'm not sure what exactly "stepped tone" here...

I've been fiddling with iPad's iVCS3 app (I think this is one of amazing apps) and thought, hey I'd love to have PB ipad emulation Mr. Green interesting if it can even emulate.
emssynthilover
Reading through this thread has been great. I want to try one of these some day!!

Though I love the experimental aspect of this instrument, if I DID want to set up simple repeating clicks/thumps/blips, is it easy to create a repeating pattern?

I've been dreaming of an awkward/polyrhythmic metronome of sorts. I guess that sounds a bit odd when I type it out, but typical drum machines just are not what I'm looking for...
papercutnoise
emssynthilover wrote:
Reading through this thread has been great. I want to try one of these some day!!

Though I love the experimental aspect of this instrument, if I DID want to set up simple repeating clicks/thumps/blips, is it easy to create a repeating pattern?

I've been dreaming of an awkward/polyrhythmic metronome of sorts. I guess that sounds a bit odd when I type it out, but typical drum machines just are not what I'm looking for...

If it's just metronome type pulses you want, try building a few of the Rollz 5 paper curcuits. A few even numbered ones will have you generating polyrhythms in seconds.
emssynthilover
@papercutnoise

Ooh! Great. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely try this out.
Oldstench
This is a question for all you PB2 owners.

I had a problem with mine where almost half of my 'nana jacks weren't sending/accepting signals and had to crack the sucker open and reflow/resolder them so they'd work.

Now that all the jacks are working, I'm experiencing some questionable behavior that I can't determine if it's general PB wonkiness or if I fucked something up and shorted a connection or 10.

As an example, let's say I'm clocking TMWTRS from a Rolz. If I connect a red or orange out from the smokestack of TMWTRS to a green or blue of something else, the clock will wonk out briefly and then settle. Seem normal?

That's just one example.
Oldstench
Is anyone with a PB2 with a ground jack willing to take the top off and snap a couple of pictures of where the ground is connected to the PCB?
cebec
Oldstench wrote:

As an example, let's say I'm clocking TMWTRS from a Rolz. If I connect a red or orange out from the smokestack of TMWTRS to a green or blue of something else, the clock will wonk out briefly and then settle. Seem normal?

That's just one example.

I just tested it on mine and it doesn't seem to be normal behavior.
Oldstench
Oldstench wrote:
Is anyone with a PB2 with a ground jack willing to take the top off and snap a couple of pictures of where the ground is connected to the PCB?

No one?

cebec wrote:
I just tested it on mine and it doesn't seem to be normal behavior.

OK. Well, I ordered two new power supplies. Let's see if that helps.
wednesdayayay

sorry it took me so long I'm in florida so the plumbutter didn't want to come apart the first couple times I tried to take it apart

the white cable goes to the black banana jack
the circle pad that the white cable comes from is on the other side of the red output of the right hand AVdog

I'm glad I got this PB open as I've always been less than satisfied with the deerhorn range on this unit and I finally fixed it Rockin' Banana!

hope this helps
Oldstench
wednesdayayay wrote:

sorry it took me so long I'm in florida so the plumbutter didn't want to come apart the first couple times I tried to take it apart

the white cable goes to the black banana jack
the circle pad that the white cable comes from is on the other side of the red output of the right hand AVdog

I'm glad I got this PB open as I've always been less than satisfied with the deerhorn range on this unit and I finally fixed it Rockin' Banana!

hope this helps

Thank you so much. Thanks to you I'll finally be able to cross-patch my CQ2 and PB2.

Edit: "Deerhorn range" meaning hand from antenna range? If so, please illuminate me on how you modified this as I am having the same issue.
wednesdayayay
ok so on the deerhorn there are two variable capacitors
they both have teeny tiny little heads for turning
one on the top and one on the bottom
you can see there are two little holes on the deerhorn section (one up top and one on the bottom) these are for using a screwdriver for turning (without taking the top off)

I didn't ever do it as I didn't' know if we were dealing with flathead or philips so I just dealt with a little range for the deerhorn

all I did was once I had taken the top off of the plumbutter I manually (I actually used my fingernail but jewelers/electronics screwdrivers would be best I suppose) turned the capacitor via a flathead notch on the bottom of the variable caps

the variable caps are different than all the other components as they are round. they are not in the picture but it should be fairly easy to tell which ones they are as they are found on the top and bottom of the deerhorn section

it took some time to get it to a more playable range
both the top and bottom caps will need to be adjusted (in my case anyway...)
set it up on your lap/bench so that you can tune the caps with one hand and gesture the deerhorn with the other

hope this helps
it was much easier to do than I thought which is one of the reasons I put off doing it for so long

remember
tiny cap turns make big changes

MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Doublecoolbossman
Just made a few of these floating toggle switches to switch up signal routing on the fly. I have a separate diy box with some switches, extra rolls, and attentuators, but sometimes I just don't feel like patching back and forth. Hopefully these will make things a little more streamlined.

horaflora
Nice floaters!
andriesvds
some plumbutter noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TP5Jsr86D4
ghrobbing_tristle
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/334620577" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

A few things going on here. IIRC, I designed those watery sounds on a small euro skiff, dumped that to tape, and then fed the sound from the tape loop (running at half-speed) through the Gong input on the PB; both gongs were then FMd by the AVDogs. All of the high-pitched shrieking is - as you've guessed - PB.
Mr. Sound Boy King
ghrobbing_tristle wrote:
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/334620577" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

A few things going on here. IIRC, I designed those watery sounds on a small euro skiff, dumped that to tape, and then fed the sound from the tape loop (running at half-speed) through the Gong input on the PB; both gongs were then FMd by the AVDogs. All of the high-pitched shrieking is - as you've guessed - PB.

This piece is a lot of fun! Nice one.

Here is solo PB2 doing pop music:

http://immigrantbreastnest.com/track/sump-goon
Hainbach
ghrobbing_tristle wrote:

Love both the process and the result!
ghrobbing_tristle
Thanks, Hainbach! Wish I had a better recording setup at home, but I have to work with what I have. I'm hoping to record and share more, especially as I start my journey with the Coco this weekend!
Mr. Sound Boy King
Plumbutter 2 doing a pastoral.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXWMi8FABvQ/
wednesdayayay

that is sounding nice and sweet good tunes

how are you liking that JBL speaker?
do you have a pair of them?

playing over a PA/loudspeaker feels very different to playing with a little portable speaker (the new minirig is great fun but it is still no comparison)
Mr. Sound Boy King
wednesdayayay wrote:

that is sounding nice and sweet good tunes

how are you liking that JBL speaker?
do you have a pair of them?

playing over a PA/loudspeaker feels very different to playing with a little portable speaker (the new minirig is great fun but it is still no comparison)

Thx.

I bought the single JBL to use as a "just jamming" keyboard amp.

For that purpose, it slays face. I do wish I had a second for stereo. Maybe one day! They're not too expensive.

Gets waaaaay louder than I need for inside the house but sometimes in an aggro mood it feels amazing to crank the thing and shred.
andriesvds
some shithole music. hihi

[s]https://soundcloud.com/andries-van-der-schaft/plumbutter-1801[/s]
Mr. Sound Boy King
EDIT: Nevermind. I just need to RTFM again...

Bonus EDIT: https://www.instagram.com/p/BeVLK9aAHxY/?taken-by=dbapplegate
andriesvds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98rAirO9YI4

andriesvds
sunday noodle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKEZbkp6Dqo

Mr. Sound Boy King
andriesvds wrote:
sunday noodle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKEZbkp6Dqo

V. cool. I like how you coaxed that bassline out of the thing!
cygmu
That is like magic. How on earth do you get all that out of a plumbutter?

There's some delay / reverb clearly, but was anything else used to achieve that?
andriesvds
no, just some combined cv triggers from the mwtrs to the fm of the oscilators for different notes.

and i use the white direkt out of the deerhorn to give it some more reverb than the other signals.

cheers. w00t
batchas
@andriesvds: I listened with great pleasure to what you posted recently. Thanx for sharing thumbs up
Nice reverb too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98rAirO9YI4
This one I listened very early in the morning, with so much snow in front of me, and this incredible silence (everything outside is stopped!!!), goes pretty well with the mood here.
mrbloor
andriesvds wrote:
no, just some combined cv triggers from the mwtrs to the fm of the oscilators for different notes.

and i use the white direkt out of the deerhorn to give it some more reverb than the other signals.

cheers. w00t

Really lovely work, Andries.
andriesvds
thanks my dear plumi colleges. it's nice to listen to your stuff too.

keep the plumi noise coming!

cheers

Guinness ftw!
shinko
Where do y’all get your banana cables from? Perfect Circuit sells 10 packs for $70 - but that seems kinda $$$? Or is that decent?

Thanks!
corpusjonsey
DigiKey
jimmie
shinko wrote:
Where do y’all get your banana cables from? Perfect Circuit sells 10 packs for $70 - but that seems kinda $$$? Or is that decent?

Thanks!

Good experience with Mouser.com thumbs up
odditymedium
in evropa?
batchas
odditymedium wrote:
in evropa?

Depends which country but Mouser has his online stores in Europe too.
fr, uk, ch, de etc etc + free delivery from a certain amount (not too high).

Check also Rapid Online if you're in UK.

Check Bugbrand.

There's also Patchpoint in Berlin: https://www.patch-point.com/patch-cables/
Oldstench
OK - I need to troubleshoot my PB2 a little bit with my oscilloscope. Problem is, my PB2 doesn't have a ground jack. Can I just attach the probe ground clip to the 3.5mm sleeve instead?
Oldstench
Oldstench wrote:
OK - I need to troubleshoot my PB2 a little bit with my oscilloscope. Problem is, my PB2 doesn't have a ground jack. Can I just attach the probe ground clip to the 3.5mm sleeve instead?

The answer is yes.
GrantB
I just joined the PB2 fam! nanners

I made some pretty cool random stuff already, but I would like to share with you a straight patch dedicated to the unusually high level of plodding stupidity in my work inbox today. sad banana WARNING this beat may induce acute IQ loss:

strutter
I just got my pb2 today and I was a bit nervous of ordering it since I had no chance to try one out anywhere. This thread has been super helpful for me and there are so many cool things I learned about this instrument here.

I want to thank you all for sharing your experiences and tips! I absolutely love the pb for its sound and mystical sweetness. This is the first banana synth I have ever patched and boy am I pleasantly surprised. Everything about this synth feels 100 times more intuitive than I was prepared for. Albeit the manual is pretty esoteric and obscure but combined with a cup of coffee and the pb it begins to make sense in a beautiful way.
odditymedium
dear strutter, in my humble experience, the blumputter (oops sorry the blomplatter ... the plimblotter) sounds best in moderation

for a long time i was trying to make everything sound at the same time: gongues, dogs, ultra, snare, deerhorn, all at once, getting overwhelmed etc

now i am a lot more calm, minimalist, and only bring in one or two instruments at a time

peter blasser is a maestro
strutter
I would agree. At first the natural thing to do is to include everything and go overboard. Nothing wrong with that, its fun and reveals many textural and rhythmic sides of the instrument.

When indeed using only one or two sounds the subtler things become very pronounced and the depth of the modulation sources begin to unravel.

I´m very impressed by the way all the elements complement each other. Especially the quantum dust is such an exotic mod and sound source that opens sonic doors I didn't know even existed. Coolest name ever for mod source too.

One question. How do the 10 inputs next to the mixer knobs work exactly?
knows
The stereo mixer section now has CV inputs. They act to in a stereo manner: a signal going up on "verso" makes the right side louder and the left side quieter, and the opposite for "inverso".

Direct from plumbutter manual.
ookrsia
knows wrote:
The stereo mixer section now has CV inputs. They act to in a stereo manner: a signal going up on "verso" makes the right side louder and the left side quieter, and the opposite for "inverso".

Direct from plumbutter manual.

Thank you for this. Even though this is in the manual/website it still is quite randomly mentioned only before the actual manual part even begins in the part where Peter mentions "new mods". So to find it you really need to read through all the text.
odditymedium
after spending some time in the ciat-lonbarde universe, i now see peter's instruments differently. they aren't specialist niche synths; they do a LOT. they are mini laboratories. hell, the plumbumbutter-nutter has a full blown factory inside (the man with red steam).

so my suggestion is to approach them willy-nilly, give yourself time to explore them, and keep coming back to threads like these, and peter's writings themselves.

and then one day something somewhere will click, for example, "hot damn the quantum dust!" or "omg the avdogs are a sweetass stereo panner for, like, any sound i put in through the input jack"

etc

so: yes, peter's writings and manuals and obscure, arcane, esoteric as all hell and nonlinear, but that is a feature, not a bug.
ookrsia
Edit: Nevermind
strutter
I had read the description of the cv inputs of the mixer but I took mine a while to actually understand how it works. Thanks for the reply.

I was saving money for sidrax but then a cocoquantus 2 became available second hand in my home town for 1000€, so I grabbed it immediately. Holy shit! The combination is just ridiculous. Having just begun exploring the pb2 there is a lot on my plate right now. smile

The cv inputs on my pb2 react to voltage just like any euro module I have used. At least the modulation depth is like one would expect.
What have you patched into the cv inputs so far?
Eurocat
[quote="Oldstench"]This is a question for all you PB2 owners.

I had a problem with mine where almost half of my 'nana jacks weren't sending/accepting signals and had to crack the sucker open and reflow/resolder them so they'd work.

Now that all the jacks are working, I'm experiencing some questionable behavior that I can't determine if it's general PB wonkiness or if I fucked something up and shorted a connection or 10.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Page 1 of 21