[Closed] Ian Fritz 4U panels & PCBs

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

[Closed] Ian Fritz 4U panels & PCBs

Post by appliancide » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:56 pm

The total price for panel one and the associated PCBs is $279. The price for panel two and the associated PCBs is $314. The total price for both sets is $593.

These are satin finish .090" Metalphoto panels.

Paypal is akin.paul {at} gmail.

Here is the final price list for the panels and PCBs:

Shipping for up to 4 panels and associated PCBs - $10 in the US and $25 for the rest of the world. $7 US and $15 international for PCB only shipping (no panels or rails).

Panel One:
MPC panel - $90
DD slider PCB - $35
DD core PCB - $30
Teezer PCB - $40
Wavolver II PCB - $22
Threeler PCB - $25
5Pulser PCB - $15
Dual 2Q4Q/4-in mixer PCB - $22

Panel Two:

MPC panel - $90
Teezer PCB - $40
2x 4x4 PCB @22 each - $44
ChaQuO PCB - $25
Dual TGTSH PCB - $16
All-In Env PCB - $20
Chaotica PCB - $35
2x Dual 2Q4Q/4-in mixer PCB @22 each - $44

The new PCBs are available to anyone that wants them, whether or not you are buying panels.

Shipped:

LX: Panel one + all PCBs
PraxisCat: both panels + all PCBs
Skorn: both panels + all PCBs + 2x CGS91
mandzaro: panel two, 2x 4x4, 2x 2Q/4Q, Chaotica + CGS91
notimeforlove: both panels + all PCBs except Teezers
nangu: 4x both panels + all PCBs (minus 1ea Teezer, 5-P, All-In, Threeler and ChaQuo) + 10x CGS91
DJBRUTAL: both panels + DD slider/core, Wavolver, 3x 2Q4Q, 2x 4x4, Chaotica
oldenjon: panel two, 3x 2Q4Q, 2x 4x4. All-In, TGTSH, ChaQuo
hems: both panels + all PCBs
sideman-chris: both panels + all PCBs + 2x CGS91
jaidee: panel one + all PCBs + CGS91
mothertongue: both panels + all PCBs
DomMorley: panel one + all PCBs + CGS91
davidschwan1: both panels + all PCBs
modintx: both panels + all PCBs + 2x CGS91
bookends: panel one + all PCBs
frozenkore: both panels + all new PCBs
monstrinho: both panels + all PCBs + 3x CGS91
ear ear: both panels + all PCBs + 2x CGS91
furanku: both panels + all PCBs
krisp14u: both panels + all PCBs
magman: both panels + all PCBs + 2x CGS91
elmegil: Wavolver, 5pulser & Chaotica PCBs
nordlead: 2q4q PCB
msprigings: 2x Teezer, TGTSH, Threeler, 2Q4Q, 2x 4x4, Wavolver II PCBs
fluxmonkey: 2x slider PCBs, 2x core PCBs

Original Post:_________________________________________________

I have been talking with Ian about designing some 4U panels for his designs, and he is into it! :tu:

It's really the perfect time for his designs to be offered in the Serge/4U format. Serge, Ken and Dmitri are killing it, and the overlapping chaos research of Ian and andrewF should allow for crude weather prediction patches*.

Anyway, the module selection and panel design are not going to be terribly democratic. I am going to try to use PCBs that Elby and Bridechamber keep in stock, but may be open to having some new ones made to offer one of his designs that are not currently available to DIYers. The initial goal is: two panels, focused on Ian's designs, that will form a more or less "complete" (like that ever happens...) synthesizer. I will be asking for feedback, and starting a poll or two for certain things.

The first of those polls is about the DoubleDeka, which will part of the first panel. The slider PCB that Bridechamber currently stocks is 6.625"/168.275mm X 4"/101.6mm. If we use it as is, it will be very close to the top and bottom of the panel. You would have to notch the BUD/Hammond box to fit the panel. The other way to use it as is, would be to orient it 90 degrees, so you would be drawing the two waveforms from top to bottom, which seems wonky to me. Finally, of course, a new slider PCB design to better fit the 4U format might be an option as well. What do you think?

Any comments/suggestions/criticism is welcome at any point in this process.

* untested
Last edited by appliancide on Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:22 pm, edited 110 times in total.

CJ Miller
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CJ Miller » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:27 pm

I am down! I had been planning on designing some Fritz panels myself, but been too busy. And I was also going to start with Doubledeka!

Re: the slider PCBs, I had considered the options and was going to do my own board, or even fly the wires. This enables using longer travel pots across the front of the boat. The Bridechamber slider board is ideal for cramming it into 5U, but doesn't bring any advantages otherwise. Also, I was going to include a dedicated high-frequency clock output. It's too useful not to. I am probably in the minority, but LEDs are mostly irrelevant to me.

I like the work I've seen on your blog, and am interested to see what you will devise.

xpando
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xpando » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:38 pm

i would definitely be into an Ian Fritz 4U panel :tu:

will look sweet with some 10 turns on the Jerkster and Double Well assuming you're going that route.
WTB:
Bugbrand (banana) - SYN2C, CTL2, ENV1
XROM (for the XBase09)

frijitz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by frijitz » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:39 pm

Oh, something I forgot to mention. Laurie is working on a Euro DD, so using his boards would also be an option. He's using small sliders to get two rows, but it's not too hard to use.

Ian

dmitri
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dmitri » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:54 pm

I want one! I'd use existing PCBs mounted parallel to the panel with stand offs.
er thats what i planned on doing :D Illuminated sliders FUG YEZ ! :banana:

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by appliancide » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:51 pm

dmitri wrote:I want one! I'd use existing PCBs mounted parallel to the panel with stand offs.
er thats what i planned on doing :D Illuminated sliders FUG YEZ ! :banana:
Most of the PCBs will be mounted to an L-bracket on hinged standoffs, similar to the BOCGS stuff, but the sliders are kind of a must have for this module.

There is at least one guy on youtube with illuminated sliders on a 5U DoubleDeka, and it looks fantastic. :love: Bourns has some 45mm and 60mm sliders that are pretty reasonably priced, and they have a nice feel. I just used the 45mm in this:

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by appliancide » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:03 pm

CJ Miller wrote:I was going to include a dedicated high-frequency clock output. It's too useful not to. I am probably in the minority, but LEDs are mostly irrelevant to me.
The LEDs bring no additional function to the table, this is true. Sliders are, in my humble opinion, classy with or without the blinkenlights. Could be there's a footprint that would allow for both options as well. I'll look into it further depending on what the people want.

I will bring the HF output to the panel for sure.

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by appliancide » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:19 am

frijitz wrote:Oh, something I forgot to mention. Laurie is working on a Euro DD, so using his boards would also be an option. He's using small sliders to get two rows, but it's not too hard to use.

Ian
I don't think I can edit the poll now that there are votes, but if anyone feels strongly about waiting for Laurie's PCBs with the small slider footprint (or any other options I may have missed) , say so and I will consider that along with the poll results.

Now that I think about it, while I don't like the idea of using sliders quite that small on this panel, Laurie's version would be just the stuff for using the DD as a modulator :hmm: We'll have to see what he comes up with...

fluxmonkey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fluxmonkey » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:27 pm

i have been trying solve this problem for a couple of years, so am very glad to hear you're tackling it. i voted for the new PCB option without leds, but the led version would be equally welcome.
when i first started trying to figure this out i was focused on fitting into a serge format, but the recent boom in buchla panels and boards has me focusing more on that recently. i actually think the DD would be a better match for the buchla sound. so if the slider carrier board could be made 4u but otherwise "format agnostic", that would be a wonderful thing.

b
www.fluxmonkey.com

BUILDER FOR HIRE - kits or custom, email me with your needs

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by appliancide » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:11 pm

The early consensus seems to favor a new design, presumably to avoid having to trim the edge of the enclosure that the panel attaches to. I just sent Scott a message to see if he would be willing to offer the DD PCBs without the slider PCBs.

Meanwhile, I will start on the first panel design with the goal of fitting it to the Bud AC-423 without the need for trimming anything or having to drill mounting holes.

Also...Bridechamber is having a 20% off sale for another 24 hours. The two panels I am designing will use at least one of each of Ian's circuits that Bridechamber carries. Obviously hold off on the DD, until that is figured out though. It will be a some time before these panels materialize, but everyone likes a sale right?

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by appliancide » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:06 am

I have been doing some research, and it looks like TT/BI offers a series of sliders where the LED version and the non-LED (dual-gang) version have the same footprint. I am buying a few to check them out. If they work out, the same slider PCB will be able to be used for illuminated or non-illuminated sliders. The other nice thing about them is that they seem to be stocked with or without a dust cover.

I have started on the panel, and it looks like the best option for slider length is going to be 45mm, which will allow for the slider PCB to be about 5.5"/140mm tall.

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by appliancide » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:32 am

fluxmonkey wrote:i actually think the DD would be a better match for the buchla sound. so if the slider carrier board could be made 4u but otherwise "format agnostic", that would be a wonderful thing.

b
I get where you are coming from, but I think the DD is a good fit for any format. The circuit itself will work on +/-12v or +/-15v, and the slider PCB will mount to the panel using the mounting holes on the sliders. Whatever you guys are doing to adapt other non-buchla circuits should work with the DD.

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by appliancide » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:26 pm

First test fitting... man, 4U panels are always so small when you see them (or something the same size) right in front of you! When I watch videos of them, my brain just ignores all of obvious the visual clues and see them as bigger. Probably I'm just dumb, but thankfully am under feline supervision:

edit: Ian does not currently offer a VCA PCB, so I am leaning towards either the MFOS or the MegaOhm boards. Do any of you have a different VCA you'd like to see included on the first panel....CGS, L-1, something I haven't thought of? The plan is to have VCAs on both panels, so I could use different boards for each one to mix things up as well. Ian, do you think there is a perfect VCA for use with your stuff?

xpando
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xpando » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:46 pm

L-1 could be nice..
WTB:
XROM (for the XBase09)

lordofthebored
Wiggling with Experience

Post by lordofthebored » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:20 pm

The MegaOhm has so many build options, it's practically a tool box of functions. This seems to be in spirit with 4U and would compliment the Fritz designs rather well.
thank you thank you thank you

frijitz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by frijitz » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:22 pm

appliancide wrote:Ian, do you think there is a perfect VCA for use with your stuff?
I tend to not be fussy about VCAs -- my system has mostly standard OTA designs. One cool little circuit I developed a long time ago was a switchable 2Q/4Q multiplier, which can be used as either a VCA or a RM. Maybe that would fit in with your system?

Ian

xpando
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xpando » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:16 pm

frijitz wrote:
appliancide wrote:Ian, do you think there is a perfect VCA for use with your stuff?
I tend to not be fussy about VCAs -- my system has mostly standard OTA designs. One cool little circuit I developed a long time ago was a switchable 2Q/4Q multiplier, which can be used as either a VCA or a RM. Maybe that would fit in with your system?

Ian
this would get my vote now in the spirit of keeping this to as many of ian's designs as possible.
WTB:
XROM (for the XBase09)

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by appliancide » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:18 pm

frijitz wrote:One cool little circuit I developed a long time ago was a switchable 2Q/4Q multiplier, which can be used as either a VCA or a RM. Maybe that would fit in with your system?

Ian
Absolutely it would :tu: I think a couple of those and a couple of the MegaOhm VCAs would compliment each other and the project perfectly.

Also, good news from Scott at Bridechamber. He is supportive of the project, will sell the DD voice boards without the slider boards, AND will carry the 4U slider boards if that's what ends up working the best.

oldenjon
Ultra Wiggler

Post by oldenjon » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:13 am

I'm stoked for this. I know it's still early, but what other designs are you thinking about including on the panels?
"We all dance by ourselves, that's why we only play electronic music"

http://synthscalledbeasts.tumblr.com/

Dego
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Dego » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:56 am

Looking forward to see the panel design for this :)

msprigings
Veteran Wiggler

Post by msprigings » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:35 am

Ians VCA/RM sounds excellent

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by appliancide » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:53 pm

oldenjon wrote:I'm stoked for this. I know it's still early, but what other designs are you thinking about including on the panels?
I'm waiting on the boards from Elby and some 5Pulsers that I forgot to order on my first Bridechamber order (both should be here within the next couple of days) to see how everything will best fit together, but the project goals are:

1. first two panels will will provide the "typical" building blocks of a synthesizer

2. the overall project (3-4 panels) will use most or all of the PCBs that Bridechamber and Elby currently offer, plus a circuit or two from Ian's vaults

I'm almost finished with the first panel. For sure it will have DD, Threeler, Teezer, 5Pulser, Dual 2Q/4Q multiplier (VCA,RM). There is enough space for one more module (or two if they only take up one column) on the first panel. I am debating on what to add to finish it off, but I should have it figured out in the next couple of days. I want to get a prototype ordered by Friday if I can swing it.

thermionicjunky
Thyratron Genius

Post by thermionicjunky » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:34 am

appliancide wrote:
I'm almost finished with the first panel. For sure it will have DD, Threeler, Teezer, 5Pulser, Dual 2Q/4Q multiplier (VCA,RM). There is enough space for one more module (or two if they only take up one column) on the first panel. I am debating on what to add to finish it off, but I should have it figured out in the next couple of days. I want to get a prototype ordered by Friday if I can swing it.
I think that this panel needs a modulation VCO for the Teezer if the point is for it to be self-contained. A second Teezer may be overkill but perhaps Ian's regular sawtooth core with waveshapers added? Might have to leave off cv attenuators to make room for tri and sine outputs.

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by appliancide » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:50 am

Ians VCA/RM sounds excellent
I am excited about it! A fully decked out pair takes up two columns, which is what the first panel will feature. Later panels will use simplified versions of the circuit, depending on the overall layout.
I think that this panel needs a modulation VCO for the Teezer if the point is for it to be self-contained. A second Teezer may be overkill but perhaps Ian's regular sawtooth core with waveshapers added? Might have to leave off cv attenuators to make room for tri and sine outputs.
The first panel is pretty much done, except for labeling/graphics. The self-contained goal is for a two panel system, so I will definitely consider adding (at least) a third VCO to the second panel. I personally would love to try Ian's multiphase VCO...

On this panel, I consider the DD and the Teezer to be modulation VCOs for each other. Also, the Threeler will oscillate from ~.4Hz - 43KHz, so that's another VCO option if you wanted to focus more on FM than on subtractive style synthesis.

xpando
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xpando » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:52 pm

appliancide wrote:I'm almost finished with the first panel. For sure it will have DD, Threeler, Teezer, 5Pulser, Dual 2Q/4Q multiplier (VCA,RM).
this system is going to sound so good :sb:

cant wait to see the panel designs.
WTB:
XROM (for the XBase09)

Return to “Music Tech DIY”