MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Picture showing many modular formats
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Picture showing many modular formats
Electronic Battle

[edit Nov. 2011: the original URL failed, so thanks to doctoranalog for resurrecting it in the thread (May2011), and to Matrix for keeping it available]

I thought this was a useful shot to illustrate the relative module sizes: would it be worth keeping as a "sticky"?

[credit to John Loffink via Matrixsynth]

EB
emergencyofstate
That offers some really nice perspective.
sandyb
stickied Guinness ftw!
JohnLRice
That's excellent!

A version of the picture with the 'type/size' printed below it would be helpful especially to the newer folks. Might be cool as the Wiki site's front page, although I'm honored that one of my pics is up there now! hihi
fluxmonkey
VCOs from each mfr... except Blacet... what's up w/ that? conspiracy theorists want to know...
oozitron
Well, the Klang *does* have a voltage controlled oscillator in it smile

pretty much...

Drew
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
damn!!! super nice

I had no idea blacet modules are the same size as euro, why the hell does it use a different PSU!?!?!? hmmm.....

nevermind, that might result in a flamefest!!
emergencyofstate
Blacet/Frac are a butt hair bigger than euro.
DGTom
I think you'll find it's exactally 1 metric bees dick.

Why no Blacet VCO? Its a secret Ninja
decaying.sine
This is a great illustration. The quality, size, design, and color of Wiard make the modules overwhelming!
revmutt
Shouldn't there be a technosaurus just for the hell of it?
wetterberg
decaying.sine wrote:
This is a great illustration. The quality, size, design, and color of Wiard make the modules overwhelming!
don't forget the flash rash! zomg it comes with a haloz!
Babaluma
great pic.

the blacet vco is just too advanced and amazing to be shown beside the others.

twisted
CZ Rider
Nice photo! thumbs up
I feel left out though, of the three modulars I have here, two formats are missing. Can I add the Aries and Roland 100M series?
Shown next to the 3U wide Moog 901, probably the fattest/widest osc I have here. hihi
cornutt
A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:

I had no idea blacet modules are the same size as euro, why the hell does it use a different PSU!?!?!? hmmm.....

If the story I heard was correct, Frac is a pretty old format, and the original modules in that format used unregulated 18V supplies. Each module was expected to have its own on-board regulator and filtering.
cornutt
BTW, I had no idea the Mattson format was that small! It looks tiny!
Electronic Battle
And don't forget these ones:

http://tinyurl.com/ybwq338

The trouble is, we need someone with a tape measure and a degree of skill to make one big montage as per my original post that started this thread; then we can see the relative scale of all of 'em.

I'd love to see the Aries and 100M scaled directly against the rest - I realise the Moog is effectively "5U" but seeing those two added and scaled to the original picture would be ideal!

EB
KNYST
Great picture, Electronic Battle!

...and the 3u measurement thingy:
Frac height: 133.35mm (5.25in)
Euro height: 128.5mm
russma
If CZ Rider or someone else can provide me with exact measurements for the Aries, 100M and Moog modules, I can add them to the original image. I'd also add the "type/size" as JLR requested.

The MOTM module in the original image looks like it might be a mock-up done in Photoshop, whereas all the others appear to be real units;

And, aren't Dotcom modules actually slightly taller than MOTM, (because of their "lip", as sandyB calls it)?
emdot_ambient
Interesting to see the CMS module in there...you know, I've never actually heard a CMS module. The VCO is certainly a dense panel with a dedicated CV mixer and everything. Nice!
Electronic Battle
Roland 100m modules are 230mm high by 104mm wide, according to

http://www.analoghell.com/studio/index.cfm?fuse=100m

And here's a picture of a 100m VCO module:

http://www.analoghell.com/studio/100m/images/112panel-big.jpg
mono-poly
Electronic Battle wrote:

EB

Is that a Steim black box system?
Is it yours?
toothless_wonder
Guinness ftw! Guinness ftw!
Electronic Battle
mono-poly wrote:
Electronic Battle wrote:

EB

Is that a Steim black box system?
Is it yours?

It is, and it isn't.

I visited Steim back in September and a very nice chap there showed me their "Zwarte Dozen Systeem" (sp?) and let me take a few shots of it in situ. It isn't really used any more but is there for occasional signal processing requirements if I remember correctly. Nico Bes was the Steim man.
cornutt
idiotboy wrote:

And, aren't Dotcom modules actually slightly taller than MOTM, (because of their "lip", as sandyB calls it)?

The top-edge-to-bottom-edge height is the same. What's different is the center-to-center mounting hole spacing. If memory serves, on the Dotcom modules it's 8-1/2", while on the MOTM it's 8-1/4".

Incidentally, for those who didn't realize it: The horizontal and vertical dimensions of the Dotcom format are identical to the old Moogs. (However, they use completely different power supply voltages.)
metasonix
Speaking of dead formats.....

What about Polyfusion? 7" tall like Serge and Buchla, but different width.

What about the old E-Mu modules? 6" x 3".

Ever seen a Wavemakers synth? 10" x 2" module size. Extremely rare.

Or the Synton Fénix modules? Also very rare.
3U x 41mm panel size, not compatible with Euro or Frac.

Or the ARP 2500 format......
Rod Serling Fan Club
If you are trying to catch them all don't forget old-school PAIA 2700/4700 modules...
lukas412
Very cool. It's frustrating seeing how close frac is to euro.
ziopad
thanks for posting this pic. for modular tyros, this really puts a face to some of the esoteric formats i've been reading about. very cool.
doctoranalog
The OP picture seems to have been broken by Matrixsynth's domain name change... I futzed around and found this link, although the URL is pretty ugly...

The original post on Matrixsynth is here.

Happy modularing. Cwejman! Doepfer Cwejman! Euro "Standard" ftl

We need more modular panel emoticons.
kindredlost
Thanks for restoring this picture doctoranalog. I was hunting for it the other day.
franzschuier
Not all mine, but the bananas are.

Diamat
franzschuier wrote:

incredibly beautiful
valis
PAiA old and new..

tragedybysyntax
I kinda want an old PAIA system to play with the reset of my banana stuff... something about the look... smile
valis
Yeah, it's fun stuff. PAiA originally used "pin" connectors but I've swapped them all out for bananas. If anybody ever has any questions about the old PAiA systems feel free to drop me a line. I have a good amount of documentation and experience.

Oh, just in case anybody is interested. The 4700 and 2720 modules are either 2"x4" or 4"x4"
tilman
thumbs up
fiero
wow !!cool
hooligansound
+1
realeoin
Hi

complete newb here. currently saving cash for my first modular set up. just came across this forum. this post is very informative and relevant to my interests. thanks
ultrashock
new sub-format?
microtonal
The modular comparison picture was created for an article in SEAMUS covering the resurgence of analog modular synthesizers. Therefore it represented only current modular synths and not historical ones. A historical comparison would be just as interesting.

As I recall, the Blacet FracRack Klangwerk was used because the VCO image was only an outline graphic, and I wanted to show photos for all of the modules. The MOTM and Modcan A series were were photoshop versions, close enough to the real thing for my purposes.
mabiro
Very Cool! Just getting into the analog domain now, thought why not jump right into modular after 6 years of working with vst's.
GryphonP3
Gorgeous setups smile New to the forum, just wanted to post and say hi, and make a first post so that I can search the forums without starting a thread on a previously covered topic smile Hope all is well with everyone!
e.vil
woah! applause
I have never seen that cms before. Is that brand like it's own system or are there other companies that make that format?
looks very interesting
Why Adapter
CMS is Phil Cirocco, mostly known for servicing and repairing ARP synths.

http://discretesynthesizers.com/

http://www.discretesynthesizers.com/dsc/dsc.htm

Looks like he may be producing them again. They were real high-end, with mil spec parts, snd prices to match.
e.vil
thanks for the info w00t
that system looks amazing.
laserpalace
If I'm not mistaken, the Wiard and Aries are the same size. At least the 300 was designed under the same specs. Regardless this is very cool
cephalopod
So glad this is stickied here. A while ago I looked everywhere for this image and couldnt find it online.
michaelvertex
franzschuier wrote:

DAMN! woah
Rob_C
Coming soon to a coffee table near you:
dorremifasol
Very useful picture, thanks!
martino
nice
osamu
For those interested, here is a comparison chart for some vintage modules.

Aries 300: 9" x 3"
Arp 2500: 8" x 3"
Böhm Soundlab: 220mm x 70mm
Buchla: 7" x 4.25"
Digisound 80: 9" x 3"
Emu: 6" x 3"
Moog: 8.25" x 2.125"
Polyfusion: 7" x 3"
PPG 300: 8.75" x 4.375"
Roland 100M: 230mm x 104mm
Roland 700: 280mm x 65mm
RSF 11: 180mm x 85mm
Steiner-Parker Synthasystem: 5.75" x 1.75"
Synton 3000: 130mm x 80mm (some half-width modules also)

I believe these to be accurate, but if anyone has some of these and can spot an error I'd be happy to be corrected.
Synthsense
Interesting chart Osamu; I am glad that nowadays we have a more standarized sort of system as Eurorack, though much people with big fingers hate it! Rage! .....still many other available systems for them though The Chewbacca Defense
Logite
A reference as to what the names of the sizes are would be awesum love
JohnLRice
Logite wrote:
A reference as to what the names of the sizes are would be awesum love

Like dis?

chachi
osamu wrote:
For those interested, here is a comparison chart for some vintage modules.

awesome picture, almost all the weird ones.
alternating.bit
Kind of funny how they go from tiny units with small plugs, to HUGE units also using small plugs. I'm certainly happy to be in the 'middle' with the large plugs 8_)
Modulus
Electronic Battle wrote:
Roland 100m modules are 230mm high by 104mm wide, according to

http://www.analoghell.com/studio/index.cfm?fuse=100m

And here's a picture of a 100m VCO module:

http://www.analoghell.com/studio/100m/images/112panel-big.jpg

Wow thanks for this link. Downloaded many needed manuals! SlayerBadger!
JohnLRice
osamu wrote:

Moog: 8.25" x 2.125"

I believe these to be accurate, but if anyone has some of these and can spot an error I'd be happy to be corrected.
Hi, Moog should be 8.75" x 2.125"

Thanks! thumbs up
LA10
V cool to get some size perspective
eskevan
Buchla seems a happy medium.
Samsquamptch
Helpful comparison. Thanks!
JohnLRice
Here's a more recently update version that has the "U" sizes on it:

Voltage_Controller
This pic always makes me think Modcan A was the one true path (that we didnt take) waah d'oh! cry
sarna5
This is very helpful. Thanks.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 3