TENORI-ON users! NEW Video here with a Prophet 08

Yamaha shut down all support - let this instrument live on here!

Moderators: Kent, ritchiedrums, Paranormal Patroler

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:41 pm

I connect mt TO to my modular in a couple of ways. The most common is through Kenton Pro-Solo MIDI>CV converters. I have 4 of them and a Doepfer A-190. The A-190 extracts the clock and reset and the four Pro-Solos do the pitch work. It is nice using them because the controls are simple and all the info is screen right on the unit's front panel. I often change MIDI channels on them and it is quite easy. I also have a pair of A-119 audio preamps and plug the audio from the TO through the modular for processing. The TO voices sound great when layered over another synth's output. Most of the TO's voices are pretty percussive or bell tone-ish so they often make a great percussive front to the sound. It is a shame that the TO is only stereo. Since the MIDI volume commands are almost always not supported on MIDI>CV converters (often programable to an AUX out), you can turn the volume down on the TO and select which voice gets processed. I sometimes only use the gate out from the converters to just play rhythms. Also another trick if you have a bunch of converters is to use tracks to transpose other tracks in the modular. The reason to do this over just making another bank is that you can change track lengths in the different tracks to make the repeat or sync between them and odd and interesting phases.

The second often used playing setup is connecting the TO to an older retired laptop with Reason on it. I have a few template songs that match my common voicing on the TO (but of course sound much better). This way I can compose on the TO by itself sitting in the backyard or out and about, and then plug it into Reason to get the full sound. I don't record on the laptop - I treat it as a complete instrument. Any inexpensive multi-timberal MIDI box will work great for this too. Dedicate voices to different tracks and plug the TO directly into it. If you want more compatibility then use the voice layout of General MIDI and then you can easily jump from one GM device to another without programming much. I have a old Proteus and it can easily handle the job. I also love driving my Nord Modular G1 but you only really get 4 voices out of it.

Of course the TO lends itself to dance music. With the right programming it could easily trigger one-shot loops on Ableton Live. There are some great YouTube videos out there with people doing much more than standard dance stuff too. The guy to check out is King Tet. That is a guy who can play the hell out of a TO. LOTS of manual page changing. Here is a compilation -
[video][/video]
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

in STEREO

Post by 10011001 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:55 pm

running it through the filter of the monotron is like peanut butter and chocolate

Synesthesia
Northern Light Modular

Post by Synesthesia » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:58 am

I have on efor a long time ... love it but don't use it as much this days ... I've been tempted to sell it a couple of times.

i love the i-tenori on version too

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:36 am

Fuck King Tet, the guy got approached by Yamaha for feature creeping and all he could think of was asking for an Edit Function on track names. Fuck him sideways. :mad:
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:10 pm

:doh: :doh: :doh:

Dear ersatzplanet, please accept my sincerest apologies. I've made a fool of myself as I'm not yet used to being a moderator of a thread. Instead of quoting from your original post I accidentally edited it and in my panic seeing as it mysteriously had my answer with your avatar I deleted it thinking it was a mistake. It was and now it's a bigger one.

This is what I had quoted from your original post, saved for posterity:
ersatzplanet wrote:Too bad the hardware is fixed and they made some design decisions early that are somewhat limiting. It seems that user sounds are burned into flash or non-volitile memory and not just read from the SD card for instance, that is why the transfer from the card of user sounds is so painfully slow.
Again, please accept my deepest apologies. It will not happen again.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:12 pm

Paranormal Patroler wrote::doh: :doh: :doh:

Dear ersatzplanet, please accept my sincerest apologies. I've made a fool of myself as I'm not yet used to being a moderator of a thread. Instead of quoting from your original post I accidentally edited it and in my panic seeing as it mysteriously had my answer with your avatar I deleted it thinking it was a mistake. It was and now it's a bigger one.

This is what I had quoted from your original post, saved for posterity:
ersatzplanet wrote:Too bad the hardware is fixed and they made some design decisions early that are somewhat limiting. It seems that user sounds are burned into flash or non-volitile memory and not just read from the SD card for instance, that is why the transfer from the card of user sounds is so painfully slow.
Again, please accept my deepest apologies. It will not happen again.
No problems! Welcome to the land of Admin!
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:18 pm

:oops: X 1000

Here's my (now rendered stupid) answer.
Didn't know that, is that a fact? The loading times are indeed excruciatingly slow but conveniently enough it doesn't glitch up when playing the same sample library on multiple layers.

Here's an example of how cool using the TO for multilayered sampling is:

http://soundcloud.com/paranormal-patrol ... -tenori-on

ritchiedrums
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ritchiedrums » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:05 am

crystalbonbon
Learning to Wiggle

Tenori-on CC/ sysex help

Post by crystalbonbon » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:42 pm

Hi
I wonder if someone can help me with this, I'm desperately trying to send block change messages from Ableton 9 to tenori-on, I thought I could do it by midi CC page as the midi implentation chart has 'bank change' in there but doesn't seem to be working. Does anyone know if this is because I'm doing it wrong or does that relate to something else not block changes? Do I need to get the Max for Live patch and use sysex instead?
Any help would be very much appreciated as keyfax seems to have disappeared and no help from Yamaha.
Please note I am not super techy so a response for dummies would be helpful.
Many thanks in advance.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:48 pm

Hello crystalbonbon and welcome. Let me start by saying that double posting is not a good way to get your questions across :hihi:

The TO does not receive block change messages in the standard mode. Please refer to the TO manual (last pages) for all MIDI messages that the TO receives. The latest firmware version has the option of activating a Remote mode in which the TO can receive whatever you want it to receive, block changes included.

Unfortunately Yamaha never listened so the TO does not output MIDI messages while in Remote Mode.

in STEREO

Post by 10011001 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:14 pm

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Here's an example of how cool using the TO for multilayered sampling is:

http://soundcloud.com/paranormal-patrol ... -tenori-on

would you mind sharing your technique with us? prettycoolshitindeed

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:32 pm

10011001 wrote:would you mind sharing your technique with us? prettycoolshitindeed
My pleasure. Cut a phrase in 16 small samples of 1 second each and then assign each to a chromatic scale in the TO. That way the phrase will be heard when in Score Mode and notes form an upwards diagonal line. Layer and fuck up as you please. :tu:

rabc
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rabc » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:04 am

rekem1000 wrote:Use button R5 to change layer, the bottom row is midi channel 1 - top row channel 16, hold R5 to select the desired row/midi channel, a new sequence can be plotted in the selected row which will come out of the corresponding midi channel.

Hoping someone could help me out! Have a newly acquired TNR-O that I want to control sounds from a Roland TR8. The TR8 defaults at MIDI Channel 10 so I've:

1) changed my TBR-O to Layer 10 (seeing TR8 defaults on MIDI Channel 10)
2) connected [MIDI OUT] of Tenori-On into [MIDI IN] of Roland TR8

--> nothing. (sounds I'm hearing are that of the 'internal instrument' selected for Layer 10)

I have to be missing something. Can anybody point me in the right direction please.

Return to “Tenori-On”