MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[SHIPPING] nw2s::b - Arduino Based Algorithmic Controller
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> nw2s Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author [SHIPPING] nw2s::b - Arduino Based Algorithmic Controller
bananeurysm
Did you play around with different buffer circuits? I'm currently trying to figure out the best way to buffer the outputs of my octomod. (MAX5250 based DAC project)

There are lots of threads on the forum about CV buffers - but a lot of different ways to go.

Been trying to wrap my head around this post: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=884960#884960

If CV is stable, and you're getting your full range - that's probably good enough for me!
scottwilson
My output buffers are fairly simple... That's an interesting thread, and highlights some of the problems with modulars - who knows what folks will be plugging these things into.

I'm using TL074s with a lowpass filter between the dac and the input (MCP4822), and only a trimmer pot in the feedback loop for adjustable gain.

To get 0-5V output from the 12-bit DAC with an even number of divisions (5V = DAC value of 4000) the gain is just under 2.5. Besides that, the power supplies are well filtered. Knock on wood, I don't expect any issues.

horstronic
This is such an awesome project! I would love to take one of your PCBs when they're ready!
bananeurysm
scottwilson wrote:
My output buffers are fairly simple... That's an interesting thread, and highlights some of the problems with modulars - who knows what folks will be plugging these things into.

I'm using TL074s with a lowpass filter between the dac and the input (MCP4822), and only a trimmer pot in the feedback loop for adjustable gain.

To get 0-5V output from the 12-bit DAC with an even number of divisions (5V = DAC value of 4000) the gain is just under 2.5. Besides that, the power supplies are well filtered. Knock on wood, I don't expect any issues.

Cool!
scottwilson
Just wanted to post a quick update.

We're finalizing the panel design (many many thanks to sempervirent for helping me out on that!) and will be sending off for a prototype shortly. We have a couple of interesting developments on that front that you guys should like.

Also, just to test out, I did a quick demo of playing samples off of the microSD card. Works pretty much like I'd expect. With only 96kB available, it's a little limited as a true sampler, but as a POC, it proves that we'll definitely be able to use the SD card for LFO and audio wavetable data at the very least. In the future, I'll hopefully build a javascript-able runtime so you don't have to compile and upload every time you want to change programs.

Anyway, sounds and code samples at:

http://nw2s.net/second-hardware-prototype/

Monday beckons, I must return to the real world.

Scott
scottwilson
Another monday update... Just ordered the final IO board and panel board for testing and production estimates. Final panel artwork approved! And here's a shot of my prototype acrylic panel in place to make sure the panel PCB is lined up and fitting in the rack.

I'll announce pricing, provide full details of what this thing can do, and open up preorders in a week!

Paranormal Patroler
Got here from sempervirent's link. This thing looks huge! I'm just getting in Arduino. So you're saying this baby can be programmed to be anything?

woah
scriptstyle
scottwilson wrote:
provide full details of what this thing can do

Enjoy the show!
kuxaan-sum
woah
scottwilson
UPDATE: I'm assembling the final release candidate and as promised, it's monday, so time to open up preorders. I started a thread in the eurorack forum, so won't rehash that here. Take a look there if you want some info.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100367

Better yet, just go straight to the site.

http://nw2s.net/about/

http://nw2s.net/order/

There's a few different levels of kit available, but, if you're considering the full kit - and you're not 100% confident in your skillz. PLEASE just save us all the torture and pay the little bit extra for me to build it for you. After the pre-order the effective build fee will go up considerably, so just do it!

Anyway, I expect the only long turnaround time to be the pots and switches. I'm still waiting on some samples from Grayhill - the Tyco (TE) momentary toggles felt like crap, so I'm looking elsewhere. That and the input pots are just not anywhere in the numbers I'll need them for more than a few kits.

Let me know if you have any questions.

That's a lot of jacks!

Stab Frenzy
Wow, don't know how I hadn't seen this before now. I have been dabbling in making something quite similar to this myself but think I'll order one of these just because you've done all the hard work laying it out already.
scottwilson
Just posting a quick update after xmas week...

Thanks for the orders so far! I'm going to set the cutoff for preordering at the end of January, but at the rate the orders are coming in, we should have critical mass well before then, so be sure to get in line.

I've had a couple of questions about getting the pre-order pricing, but holding off on the final delivery. If you want to put a deposit down in order to get the intro pricing, but want to hold off on the balance for a little while, that's fine too, just make a note on your order. The important thing now is to get the panels, PCB, and longer-lead-time electro-mechanical parts ordered.

Here's a quick video I did last night using a probability-based sequencer and variable clock tempo. Just wired up to my LDB-1e. The entire video is made with one 4/4 measure's worth of 16th note probabilities.

I'll upload a tutorial explaining the code a little later today if anyone is interested.

Again, pre-ordering info is available at

http://nw2s.net/about/
http://nw2s.net/order/

Regards,

Scott
Raytracer
Wow! Thats massive!

Is the bom available yet?
scottwilson
Semi-finished BOM is ready, yes, but I'm still working through some of the optional configurations such as input and output op amps as well as finalizing all the parts necessary for inter-board wiring.

I was unable to get board-to-board connectors to work out with the spacing I was limited to, so opted for discrete-wire IDC connectors. It adds some depth and a little more work per-build, but they are clean and better than having to go much further out than 40HP.

Also, all of the sales so far have been complete builds! Seems there's not as much interest in the DIY version of this, unfortunately.

Regards,

Scott
poladark
I'll order the complete kit for my second unit sometime later then. smile Looking forward to getting started programming stuff as soon as possible.

I'm really interested in the programming potential of this thing. The amount of RAM isn't that limiting for sample playback either, if one considers that those classic Fairlight CMI instrument samples are like 17 kilobytes apiece.
scottwilson
UPDATE: Preorders will be open until January 31! http://nw2s.net/order/

Thanks for the orders so far guys. Help me make this thing happen and get in on the pre order! So far, all of the purchases have still be only the assembled units. I thought there might be a little interest in the kits, but no one has committed yet.

Here's a new demo of an emulation of a Turing Machine I've put together to demonstrate something using a few more outputs all at once.

http://nw2s.net/a-turing-machine-adaptation/

Also, @Raytracer - the initial BOM can be found at http://nw2s.net/product/nw2s-b-fullkit/

Regards,

Scott
sammy123
Will there be a set of programs available to load or will everyrhing have to be programmed by the user? It looks very interesting, but I would not be able to write programs for it.
Riggar
Have put a pre-order in. Really great project and looking forward to it
!
Sammy123 - I got a basic arduino kit for Xmas - and have written my 1st program! ok so it’s only switching on and off LEDs but great fun and so much free info online - great tutorial for basic arduino if you google 'Introduction to Arduino A piece of cake!' Hoping this will build towards doing audio / cv programming not necessarily from scratch but to tweak existing code. I’m sure there will be some programs around for you.
scottwilson
If anyone's put an order in and not gotten a confirmation email, please contact me. I want to make sure these are all going through, and some orders (Riggar, for example) are not coming through.

I don't think it's systemic, as I am getting other orders in, but it's possible there's a final "Complete" button somewhere that's not immediately evident that it's got to be pressed to complete the process.

Thanks,

Scott
scottwilson
@sammy123:

Yes, I included the SD card as a way to be able to have a set of presets as simple config files that can just be loaded off the SD card. That will come in the not too distant future, but probably not day one.

-s
sammy123
Thanks. I am considering the pcb/panel kit.
djthopa
Very interested on how this project develops....but i know nothing about Arduino or programing cry
scottwilson
@sammy123 - that's a good place to start. You'd be helping contribute to the main cost driver of the project, and if you need help sourcing any of the parts later, I'm sure we'll be able to work something out.

@djthopa: We'll have you covered in a couple of months... config-file driven firmware won't be too hard to get running.
sammy123
Are there any hard to find parts?
scottwilson
Nothing rare, just a few things that are not always on-hand. These are generally the jacks, switches, and pots.

This is why I created the electro-mechanical kit. It includes these three things that are not easily substituted unlike resistors and op-amps.

I'm actually still waiting on some switches that I like. The Tycos were crap and the multicomp (Newark generics) were good, but they don't stock the right termination type. I have some grayhill that should arrive today that hopefully are nice, but are grayhill, so I expect them to be a lot more expensive than the generics.

The pots are widely used BT, but in a configuration that is usually only available a few at a time, so i'll be ordering a few hundred.

Same with the jacks. Since the Kobiconn are not RoHS, I designed in the Thonkiconn type which don't have widespread availability as with most vertical switched 3.5mm jacks.

-s
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> nw2s Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 2 of 3