Make Noise Maths - can I use it as a random pitch generator?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

vilarestal
Learning to Wiggle

Make Noise Maths - can I use it as a random pitch generator?

Post by vilarestal » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:26 pm

Hi Wigglers,

I am about to receive a Maths and I would like to know if i can use it as a random pitch generator? I can't afford a Wogglebug yet!

I would also like to have a dabble at droning and would like some ideas on how the Maths can be employed for that genre of music.

Many thanks,

Summa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Summa » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:47 pm

viewtopic.php?t=63068

here's the illustrated manual... and there's plenty of other random generators that's cheaper than the Wogglebug.. Doepfer A-149-1 is a great module.

And sure you can use maths for some really slow modulation for drones, check out the last example of the illustrated manual..

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:52 pm

You can use each side to modulate the other in a feedback circle...that will produce mad pseudo random squiggly stuff, not dissimilar from the woggle. Not stepped though. You might be able to mix one of these outputs with the EOC or EOR gate outs to give a sharp edge to some of it....maybe

TimeRaveler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by TimeRaveler » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:05 pm

http://modulargrid.net/e/doepfer-a-148
This small doepfer S+H module can work with Maths to give you random stepped pitches. Just set one side of maths to a fast lfo and feed it into the Smp input, then send a clock (EOC of the other side synced to your beat) into the Trigger input.

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:29 pm

Here is a very nice manual for the Maths. There may be something in there to figure these questions out.

A drone patch from the manual is the last page by our own Mr Muff. It involves using two vco's into the maths and using the SUM out to a filter. Sort of a summing mixer, but not really.

The Wogglebug is seriously deep on the random generator thing and the Maths is only going to get you so far on that front. Do you have a noise module? If so then a voltage controlled pulse can be made for random timings out of Maths using the EOR and EOC outs.

I can't think of how to use Maths as a S&H module but someone may know. If so, then again noise could be used for a random voltage source into Maths.

A whacky LFO output in a stepped sequencer form can be done with a separate vco and filter.

The Maths "Hack" patch by our Professor Muffs will get some seriously wild outputs as well.

All these are outlined in the manual. Hope this helps.

wellurban
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wellurban » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:51 pm

One advantage of Function over a Maths channel is the Hang input, which effectively makes it a S&H (well, T&H to be precise). It may be possible to do something similar in specific situations using the Cycle toggle in on Maths, but at first thought I'd doubt it. It could produce some wild unpredictable self-patched wobbles, but at first thought I'm not sure how you'd get stepped random outs.

The quickest & cheapest way to that is noise + S&H: those are cheap and small modules that are useful for so many things. Combine with LFOs and slews (Maths can definitely help there) and most of the Wogglebug's random outs can be achieved.

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:04 am

bear in mind you could always use a quantizer - if you have one/ are planning on getting one - as a sample + hold to produce clocked, stepped voltages from squiggly LFOS

no need for a separate S+H

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:12 am

what about this:

1 - get the two Maths envs cycling as "lfos"
2 - use the output of one to modulate the BOTH (or RISE or FALL) of the other. do this to both, so that there is a chaotic random shape produced. use the output that DOESN'T remove them from the SUM/ OR outputs
3 - mix in an EOR or EOC output into the equation, maybe attenuated in one of the middle channels
4 - use the OR output as a mod source

this should get you a squiggly, random shape....with occasional random stepped periods, where the EOR/ EOC gate is the highest voltage available

could be interesting....

won't be clocked though, although you could TRY triggering the LFOs from a clock source - just bear in mind that they won't trigger if they are in their RISE phase (or is it FALL...one or the other)
:hmm:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”