MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler Blog & NewsMW News   Muff Wiggler StoreMW Store 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

arturia minibrute modding
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author arturia minibrute modding

leafcutter

I have the Mini in pieces and on my desk, oscilloscope is on and I'm going to start looking for interesting signals.

I'm specifically interested in getting the various clocks out to my modular set-up. I imagine it should be fairly simple to get the various individual wave shapes and envelopes out also.

felixer

great thumbs up applause

jarvis

awesome! please do keep us posted!

I recall there being tons of test pads on the pcb, so I'm hoping that those were put in there to help aide in mods (as the YuSynth spirit is obviously one of DIY).

what I would love is to find the clock in on the arpeggiator, but maybe that will be addressed in the next firmware update.

also getting an aftertouch cv out would be fantastic to have.

leafcutter

jarvis wrote:

what I would love is to find the clock in on the arpeggiator, but maybe that will be addressed in the next firmware update.

I've found all the raw waveforms, LFO shapes, Filter and Amp envelopes. Will look for the stuff you mentioned, it's gotta be there somewhere!

And yes there are hundreds of useful testpoints waiting to be soldered to!

jarvis

nice work!

felixer

leafcutter wrote:
I've found all the raw waveforms, LFO shapes, Filter and Amp envelopes ...

applause we're not worthy i hope you will share this Hug maybe a pic of the pcb with text&arrows? and i'd be interested in aftertouch and velocity as cv. if you happen to stumble upon those ... 8_)

leafcutter

Well simulating tap tempo presses is possible using a transistor to short the button, very similar to the s-trigger circuit bugbrand showed

As you can see it's fairly responsive, not as nice as having a squarewave directly clock the arp but I'm guessing the tempo calculation stuff is done internally in the cpu which makes this option fairly remote.

have a look.

next up LFO fun.....

extinguish

Yes yes yes! Guinness ftw!

illdream

this is great. looking forward to the lfo.

r05c03

Very nice! Hell I would buy you a Microbrute just so you could figure out those things on it too..

leafcutter wrote:
jarvis wrote:

I've found all the raw waveforms, LFO shapes, Filter and Amp envelopes. Will look for the stuff you mentioned, it's gotta be there somewhere!

leafcutter

I have found everything that people have asked for (apart from velocity CV). Need a little time to document it properly and I also have to cut a hole in the case of the MiniBrute to fit some kind of expansion port.

I also need to find very robust protection for the Aftertouch and Modwheel outputs because I think they connect directly to the ADC on the Minibrute's processor - anything over 3.3v and under 0v will probably kill your MB!
Dead Banana Any Ideas???

I'm super busy at the moment but I found time to take some photos for the documentation today so I'm hoping I can publish the whole thing next week sometime.

felixer

leafcutter wrote:
I have found everything that people have asked for (apart from velocity CV).
maybe a 'digital/midi only' function? doesn't seem to be used by the synth engine anywhere ...
leafcutter wrote:
I also need to find very robust protection for the Aftertouch and Modwheel outputs because I think they connect directly to the ADC on the Minibrute's processor - anything over 3.3v and under 0v will probably kill your MB! Dead Banana Any Ideas???

for those outputs you prob want some buffering, simple TL072/74 as voltage-follower should do the job. plus you might be able to amplify to 0-5 or 0-10V.
for any inputs to cpu you def want over/neg. voltage protection. a resistor and two diodes (to ground and to V+ of cpu) should take care of that ...
inputs to the analog synth engine are prob not that sensitive (generally no input protection on any analog modules), but being carefull doesn't hurt Mr. Green
leafcutter wrote:
I also have to cut a hole in the case of the MiniBrute to fit some kind of expansion port.

isn't there any room above the wheels?

leafcutter

Yes I think it could be a digital timer type velocity situation, but I have not actually checked for it yet so I'll probe around with some MIDI velocities coming in to make sure.

I was going to buffer all outputs, the envelope outputs I found defo need it or they diminish too much on the MiniBrute. My worry was this: What if someone mistakenly plugs a +/- 10v siganl from a modular into the buffered output of the AfterTouch or ModWheel - could anything nasty go the wrong way through a non-inverting buffer? I've never tested this so I just want to be safe.

Unfortunately the main PCB is mounted more or less flush on the back of the front panel so there is not enough room to put jacks above the mod wheels. You could fit 6-8 jacks on the back panel to the right of the the CV in/outs. I was thinking of making a little breakout box on a ribbon cable... The other option is to have the jacks coming out the plastic sides of the MB but the way these are constructed would make this a bit of a PITA.

leafcutter

r05c03 wrote:
Very nice! Hell I would buy you a Microbrute just so you could figure out those things on it too..

Lets see how this turns out then I might take you up on that!

felixer

come to think of it it IS strange that velocity isn't used anywhere ... or did i miss something hmmm.....

most opamp outputstages i've seen just have a ≈1k resistor in series. seems to be sturdy enough ... for positive-only signals you could insert a diode, but you 'd prob want to compensate for the drop. are people doing those kind of things on, say env generators?

separate box on a ribbon seems best then. or lead that ribbon straight to a panel on the modular hyper

leafcutter

Saturday morning power tool moment.....(installation in the side turned out to be a lot simpler than in the back, esp when you factor in my laziness)

celestial tomes

Any idea if it would somehow be possible to route the External Audio Input from the MB back out to modular?
That would be huge

leafcutter

celestial tomes wrote:
Any idea if it would somehow be possible to route the External Audio Input from the MB back out to modular?
That would be huge

I'm sure that would be really simple, I don't personally need that but I'll find the patch point for you next time I do some testing.

Flux302

What would be the use case of that mod? Why not just split it before it comes into the minibrute?

leafcutter

Lots of progress today, just about to test it further but it looks like it's working. i have:

sine lfo
    tri lfo
    saw lfo
    square lfo
    rand steps lfo
    smooth steps lfo
    sub osc
    saw osc
    square osc
    tri osc
    amplitude env
    filter env
    clock out
    clock in!

I have one more send but can't decide if i should go for mod wheel, aftertouch or the folded triangle looking osc wave I found inside.

My minibrute just got MegaBrutish!

Documentation + video coming soon if you want it.

concretic

this. is. huge.

edit: and yes, if you could document it, it would be glorious..

mckenic

Agreed!!!

we're not worthy

horstronic

thumbs up

felixer

leafcutter wrote:
MegaBrutish!

this was going to be a logical step hihi trademark it and get a freeby if arturia gets to launch it somewhere next year lol
great mods! looking good thumbs up

leafcutter

Here is the initial documentation. Please let me know if I've made any terrible errors or omissions.

Warm up your irons and have fun!

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 2 of 5