MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Expert Sleepers 'disting' now available - no DAW required!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next [all]
Author Expert Sleepers 'disting' now available - no DAW required!
pixelmechanic
Yep... mine arrived from Rubadub yesterday, spent lunchtime playing with it... Will definitely get another at some point.

Can't quite remember what I was doing, but got some awesome bitcrushed sounds out of it!
Navs
I still can't decide if this is the best thing since sliced bread or the thin end of the wedge lol Despite each mode's compromises, it's great to have precision for the mathematical functions and I like the novel wave-folding.

Some questions:

The inputs are prone to warbling when patching e.g. pitch tracker, A connected to VCO, no input or when patching the FMVCO. Any idea why?

The jacks are pretty and informative but very loose on the module I have (patched with Doepfer, Analogue Systems and TipTop cables) - is this the same on other people's distings?

Why did you chose a 20volt swing for waveform etc. selection? Can it be lowered to match more typical Euro outputs e.g. +/-5 or 8V?
os
Quote:
The inputs are prone to warbling when patching e.g. pitch tracker, A connected to VCO, no input or when patching the FMVCO. Any idea why?

The *inputs* are prone to warbling? What do you mean exactly?

Quote:
The jacks are pretty and informative but very loose on the module I have (patched with Doepfer, Analogue Systems and TipTop cables) - is this the same on other people's distings?

The jacks are fairly loose compared to some other types, it's true. They should be about the same as the ES-3 mk3.

Quote:
Why did you chose a 20volt swing for waveform etc. selection? Can it be lowered to match more typical Euro outputs e.g. +/-5 or 8V?

I'm sure there was a good reason, but one I made the best part of half a year ago so I'm not sure I recall. Probably I was using an ES-3 to control it. You could DIY a mod to change it, if you were keen.
Navs
Thanks, os.

os wrote:
What do you mean exactly?

Sorry. I meant that the outputs can warble depending on the physical state of the inputs.

For example mode 3C, pitch & env tracker: with nothing patched to the inputs, patch output A to a VCO and listen. Sometimes the VCO's pitch is stable for a while, then I get a burp or burst or sustained stream of FM.

Or, if I monitor the A output of the FMVCO and plug a cable into X or Y the VCO is randomly modulated. It's a nice effect, but not one I'd try live hihi
os
The pitch tracker is not stable with no input because it's basically tracking noise.

An input with a cable plugged in, but nothing plugged into the other end, is essentially acting as an antenna, so again noise results.
memes_33
i tried to watch the overview video of this module, but the sibilance/mouth smacking sounds from the speaker is driving me absolutely crazy- i can't listen to it for more than 2 minutes without pulling my hair out! the british accent doesn't make it any easier for my yankee ears either.

maybe i'll trying watching it with the highs eq'ed when i'm home. otherwise, it is like listening to someone scratching a chalk board. does anyone else have this issue with speech on youtube videos? it doesn't come up very often, but this isn't the first one i've found intolerable!
Randy
You're kidding, right?

I didn't notice any issues with the voice in the videos. And, I have a more difficult time with southern U.S. accents than British accents.

Randy
euromorcego
entirely unbothered by voices in youtube videos, but maybe someone can elaborate on these issues:

Quote:
Why did you chose a 20volt swing for waveform etc. selection?

What does it mean? Do i need a "20 volt swing" to get the most out of the module, and would that be -10 to 10?

and

Quote:
The pitch tracker is not stable with no input because it's basically tracking noise.

but i assume that most applications will not track all the time. So is there not a threshold that ensures there is actually a signal at the input. Otherwise whenever you stop playing whatever is tracked, some random notes appear. Would be a bit awkward.

Otherwise looks like a great module. The want is strong.
EarlJemmings
memes_33 wrote:
i tried to watch the overview video of this module, but the sibilance/mouth smacking sounds from the speaker is driving me absolutely crazy-

Yeah, it is something that always gets me too. Slop sounds are my pet peeve which I can't get over. At least some of these videos are speechless so I can get most of it.
Jamisnemo
Wholy hell, my jaw is on the god damned floor! This is by far the best 4hp module money can buy, I swear! SlayerBadger! we're not worthy

I can not WAIT until the developer tools are released!

I love the fact that an unpatched cable into the x,y, and z inputs is so... disorganized! Touching the other end to your finger brings all sorts of new crazy into patches! Add it as a FEATURE! (The PDO 1v/oct input acts similar but only for pitch btw)

I really like the loose jacks too! With the lights around the jacks, now we need clear rubber on cables! The purple is gorgeous too!

I wonder if it'd be worth building a pickit 3 breakout module so we can reprogram the thing without de-racking the thing...

Just turning the program select knob while patched gives all sorts of fun crazyness too! Set it up with the normal sample and hold and twiddle that crazy little knob! All sorts of pitch drops, lasers and chirps!

I don't even know what to do with my life now.

Get two! You'll regret not doing so!
Jamisnemo
I wanna make a program that does a simple Kick, Snare...

And I wanna make some sort of Brain Seed/cv recorder program.

And I wanna make a simple two channel cv mixer/crossfade program.

And I wanna make a simple 8 step sequencer program (or two since there's two outs!)

And I wanna make a simple AD envelope program.

Gah... not even scratching the surface of the possibilities yet! Think ardcore but more hardcore with real ADC/DAC's!

Ya might as well pick up a pickit 3 and a pic32mx development board and get into programming!!!

eek!
suthnear
os wrote:
Quote:

I'm sure there was a good reason, but one I made the best part of half a year ago so I'm not sure I recall. Probably I was using an ES-3 to control it. You could DIY a mod to change it, if you were keen.

I'd be interested, depending on the complexity of the mod. I don't think I have any modules that put out 20 Vpp (well, other than the ES3, but I'd prefer to be able to use this module without the laptop). I was able to use the doepfer a1833 to amplify signals to this range, but only with the overload light permanently on so it could be distorting the signal. 10 Vpp would be much more useful.

It's a brilliant module otherwise and I, too, will probably be getting another at some point.
os
You'd just need to change R25, currently 20K, to a larger value.
wired
Ordered mine from Schneiders, expecting delivery SOON SlayerBadger!
FlameTop
Whoop! Mine turned up this morning. Its like a happy new 16 modules day! It's peanut butter jelly time!
suthnear
os wrote:
You'd just need to change R25, currently 20K, to a larger value.

I'll have to live with 20Vpp. Don't have the tools or the steadiness of hand for SMT smile. Guess if I had two of these I could use the 4QM and a constant signal to amplify an incoming signal to 20Vpp.
os
You don't have to replace it with an SMD resistor. Just flick it off with your iron, and solder down a regular resistor in its place.
srsonido
Well, I received my Disting module and I have to say: Module functionality = B+; Jacks = D-

I see a lot of people are singing the praises of this module based on the specs and I was excited about it too from a function / size perspective, but after receiving it and actually working with the module in a few patches I have to say the functionality is great but those jacks are terrible!

I have a moderate sized system - 12U x 126HP case - and once I get a decent layer of patch cables going here and there, it's very hard not to jar the cables loose from the Disting jacks just in the process of moving things around like normal. I think it's cool and clever that ES illuminated them but if the tradeoff is having those loose Cliff style jacks, I'd rather forgo the fancy lights for a solid connection.

The Disting is a great module otherwise and a great step for ES away from their computer tethered systems, but the jacks on this are a bad design decision! I really, really, hope they will rethink this and add some proper jacks that aren't prone to disconnecting in performance. With solid jacks this really could be a go-to utility module and I can see owning several. But as it is I'm not sure I will even keep this one.
artisokka
srsonido wrote:
Well, I received my Disting module and I have to say: Module functionality = B+; Jacks = D-

I see a lot of people are singing the praises of this module based on the specs and I was excited about it too from a function / size perspective, but after receiving it and actually working with the module in a few patches I have to say the functionality is great but those jacks are terrible!

I have a moderate sized system - 12U x 126HP case - and once I get a decent layer of patch cables going here and there, it's very hard not to jar the cables loose from the Disting jacks just in the process of moving things around like normal. I think it's cool and clever that ES illuminated them but if the tradeoff is having those loose Cliff style jacks, I'd rather forgo the fancy lights for a solid connection.

The Disting is a great module otherwise and a great step for ES away from their computer tethered systems, but the jacks on this are a bad design decision! I really, really, hope they will rethink this and add some proper jacks that aren't prone to disconnecting in performance. With solid jacks this really could be a go-to utility module and I can see owning several. But as it is I'm not sure I will even keep this one.

Hmm... What kind of cables are you using? I haven't noticed any such problems yet. I'm using Ad Infinitums.
srsonido
artisokka wrote:
srsonido wrote:

Hmm... What kind of cables are you using? I haven't noticed any such problems yet. I'm using Ad Infinitums.

I have tried it with Ad Infinitum, TipTop and Hosa cables. All of them feel like they want to settle / seat about 1 or 2 mm or so, back from fully inserted. The connector will go in / seat completely when I first insert it, it's not that there is an obstruction to that, it's just that the slightest movement or tug tends to back the cable out slightly to a place where it does not seem to be solidly engaged with the wipers.
daluxer
I haven't had any problems with the jacks - I tried various cables. (Doepfer, Tiptop,..)
srsonido
daluxer wrote:
I haven't had any problems with the jacks - I tried various cables. (Doepfer, Tiptop,..)

Well, I'm happy that you have had a better experience with the Disting jacks. Sincerely. It may be that if you have a small system or low density patch, and you are careful, you can manage not to knock the cables loose. I have a mid sized system however, and patch cables can get dense. I've made several patches with the Disting and have worked the cables loose from it's jacks more than once.

I suppose it's possible to configure things such that the Disting modules are in a less "busy" part of the cable spaghetti, or create some sort of strain relief to keep the cables in place, but I think that's missing the point. It shouldn't be up to us users to compensate for design issues.

I mean no ill will towards ES but I stand by my assessment - these are loose fitting jacks, and loose fitting jacks can be problematic. This is a fairly new module and will likely go through some revisions. I think now is the time for frank opinions - that's how an engaged community helps the manufacturers make better products and ultimately sell more stuff.
wavefold
got one. it got me so excited that I had to buy a Expert Sleepers t-shirt to show to the world I dig Os stuff nanners
wired
Great module, will buy a second one w00t
tonewheels
A quick review on build quality, ergonomics and design.

Before I say anything else, understand that the Disting in terms of functionality per pound ( or currency of your choice) is fantastic. I think I bought up the last remaining stock in the UK to get two of them and would have got another were I to find one.

The price to build cost ratio is much higher than just about anything else I've seen in the 3U world. All SMD, reflow and probably pick and place. This is a good thing as it provides local jobs at sensible labour rates and no exploitation of developing world labour. It also is good for the sustainability of the company. I don't understand how some of the market leaders in 3U can ethically produce without doing this.

It's a great product at a good price which reflects the amount of intellectual property which you are buying rather than squeezing the supply chain.

And now the minor gripes/constructive (hopefully) criticism:

the jacks do have a pretty low retention force. The retention characteristics have somewhat been sacrificed on the altar of optical transparency for the red/blue LEDs. Hey, it's 3U! You want to patch live go to 5U.

the pots are a bit too close together, losing some of the advantage of going to skinny knobs. Do we really need the ZZZ logo which squeezes this?

the torque required on the knobs is quite high. The tiptop knobs have much lower resistance.

would it have been too difficult to bring out an expansion header, via SPI, I2C or even analogue channels (there are 11 left), to enable a control expansion panel to configure more expanded controls such as an ADSR?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next [all]
Page 5 of 14