Any Entrancers Out There? (KORG)

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe., daverj

Ty
Common Wiggler

Any Entrancers Out There? (KORG)

Post by Ty » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:47 pm

I was about to sell my KORG KAOSS Pad "entrancer"...

Then with NTSC coming back into my hobby/art life via LZX, I am loving my Entrancer more than ever. And what were so many silly settings for video - work really nicely with video synthesis! :bananallama:

Anyone else using one? Have any favorite settings or tricks? :cookiemonster:

Ginko
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Ginko » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:48 pm

Haha, I am looking to buy one, does that count, sure you don't want to sell yours? :hihi:

Matos
Modular masturbator

Post by Matos » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:42 pm

I love mind. Finally getting it hooked up to midi wS a game changer. This with the LZX and silent way is so inspiring.

Ty
Common Wiggler

Post by Ty » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:13 pm

Matos: What's "wS" I don't know what "silent way" is either? :confused:

The Entrancer is making me think of a cv/midi module though! :hyper:

Here is some handy work from "VJTranceKoder" He compiled the whole effect list into one!

http://ioav.com/Korg%20Entrancer%20COMB ... Small).pdf

Manual in .pdf is easy enough to find. (and doesn't include the fx list!)

i.m.klif
Common Wiggler

Post by i.m.klif » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:01 pm

i love my entrancer. as i mainly use with live pan tilt cameras. wy favorite fx are delay/buffer based stuff, blurs and trails, vertical/horisontal stripe delays. i rarely touch other fx, altough at times i was amazed how good some of those retro rave effects work today.

Matos
Modular masturbator

Post by Matos » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:10 pm

Ty wrote:Matos: What's "wS" I don't know what "silent way" is either? :confused:

The Entrancer is making me think of a cv/midi module though! :hyper:

Here is some handy work from "VJTranceKoder" He compiled the whole effect list into one!

http://ioav.com/Korg%20Entrancer%20COMB ... Small).pdf

Manual in .pdf is easy enough to find. (and doesn't include the fx list!)
Sorry, weird autocorrect. Was....midi was a game changer. Playing rhythmic patterns with visuals into ableton clips is awesome. Silent way is software that allows the computer to speak cv. I use that to control my LZX system which I feed from the entrancer or process the video coming from the LZX.

dubbmann
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dubbmann » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:50 am

Yes, I own 2 KPEs and find them really useful for all sorts of video fun. Do you have vids of what you've done w/ them posted anywhere? I'd love to check out what other folks use them for.

Cheers,

d

Ty
Common Wiggler

Post by Ty » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:21 pm

I will post some video soon. I still have not put my rig back together from last week's show - hoping to get back to goofin' before the weekend is over! :party:

Like I mentioned in my OP, I feel like I am getting to know the KPE all over again. I redid all my presets as ones that were fine for video are not so great for LZX and vice versa.

revmutt
Knutty For Knobs

Post by revmutt » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:56 pm

Love the Entrancer. Like anything it comes in and out of the work flow but is a lot of fun.
Tommy DOG
Punk Rock Star, gambler and stunt double

dubbmann
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dubbmann » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:58 am

I'm really interested in the LZX and its fit w/ KPEs. It's funny - I resisted for decades going modular in my synths because it just struck me as an endless route of distraction away from music making but the LZX may finally force my hand ;-)

BTW, here's a YT link to a vid I did a few years ago -

The KPE was used to mangle stuff before being finished w/ Vegas Video FX.

Hope you enjoy...

d

Ty
Common Wiggler

Post by Ty » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:41 am

Here is a quick video I made showing the 8 KORG KPE presets I currently have programmed.

I ended up reediting my presets after my last show and dug through all the settings and landed on these. :party:

[video][/video]

I have about another 6 or so "runners up" :nana:

(I will post this in the sticky hardware thread as well)

bentoncbainbridge
Common Wiggler

Post by bentoncbainbridge » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:32 am

what do the KPEs sell for these days? had one that was destroyed by Hurricane Sandy but sold it for parts. also, can't remember - are they PAL/NTSC switchable?
Video synthesis for Howling: Lover

timtam
Common Wiggler

Post by timtam » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:38 pm

I have been following them on eBay for the last few months and their is one on there now that is priced at around 700 after shipping. The one before that ballooned to over 900. :eek: They don't come up a whole lot.

Cool/informative vid Ty. Thnx

Roxell
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Roxell » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:42 pm

I bought mine about three years ago for $700.

There is indeed a small switch on the back to switch from PAL to NTSC.

TV-OD
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TV-OD » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:15 am

Certainly having fun with mine.
At the moment I have it in a feedback loop with a Panasonic MX30, feed other material into the MX30. Excllent fun when the MX30 is in Mix mode - lots of distinct echoes. Wipes are fun, especially the shape wipes and luma key goes nuts !
Using the colour correction on the feedback input also gives great results.

Last thing I did with this setup

[video][/video]

mr_coops
Common Wiggler

Post by mr_coops » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:01 am

Here's a vidf I did a while ago.
I can't believe it was 3 years ago...
[video][/video]

GhostOfProvence
Learning to Wiggle

Post by GhostOfProvence » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:06 pm

Hey there all! New to the forum was just wondering if any of you had a Korg Entrancer you’d be willing to sell? I haven’t had much luck finding them in the states. Any help or leads would be greatly appreciated! I’d also be into another piece of equipment that would do some of the same visuals but haven’t found anything really. The LZX systems don’t really work in my setup.

wcfields
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wcfields » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:57 pm

GhostOfProvence wrote:Hey there all! New to the forum was just wondering if any of you had a Korg Entrancer you’d be willing to sell? I haven’t had much luck finding them in the states. Any help or leads would be greatly appreciated! I’d also be into another piece of equipment that would do some of the same visuals but haven’t found anything really. The LZX systems don’t really work in my setup.
I have one and I highly recommend it. It's a very 1 to 1 system, with only one effect at a time but effect 76 is really killer.

I only see them come up on eBay about once every 2-3 months, but right now seems like a glut of overpriced ones (should be less than $600). I bought mine in 2015 from eBay for $575 shipped.

Currently there's a few for $1200+ and a few for $700 (even one in Osaka, Japan!). They have a lot of hype but it's hard to justify that much. I haven't tried this, but maybe try Yahoo Auctions Japan? (From what I know Yahoo Auctions is like 90% of the market in Japan, no one there uses eBay).

Edit: Yup, here's one for $410 USD https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e329798700
ImageExperimental Half Hour - LA's own television show of experimental music and performance art.

GhostOfProvence
Learning to Wiggle

Post by GhostOfProvence » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:39 pm

Great thanks! I ended up finding one from Japan, very useful unit! Thanks for the advice!

maggan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by maggan » Sun May 26, 2019 9:40 am

Bought one, mint in box for around $400. Haven't been much used but I like it and need to get going with it... :)

pekler
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pekler » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:03 pm

Selling mine in Germany / EU.

Return to “Video Synthesis”