MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Korg SDD-3000 Reissue
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author Korg SDD-3000 Reissue
thetwlo
is this why the Vox DelayLab was blown out for cheap? looks like the same size box. Gorgeous... looking at least!
pacific202
Anyone have an ETA?
h4ndcrafted
relaxing wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:
£395 or $400 ???

I know the US will gain tax, but what is going on here ?

I don't remember this price difference in other Korg products ?

import duties?
fluctuations in the price of the yen?
someone planning to take advantage of arbitrage in international korg fx trade?

Well that would be out of line with the products Korg are selling ATM, so why now is what I saying ?
I was kind of hoping it was a print error as the Korg products I've been looking at all seem to be around the same price both sides of the pond. seriously, i just don't get it
tim gueguen
I can understand the desire for a rack format version, but how big is the market for low end rack stuff these days? Korg doesn't seem to offer anything in the format at the moment.
vav
Ohhhhh
SamUK
relaxing wrote:
The Real MC wrote:
Never owned the 3000, but I love my other SDD delays - SDD-1200, SDD-2000, SDD-3300. Excellent bang for the buck.

Anyone have a good rundown on the features/differences between the series?

+1
Kingnimrod
it's the same form factor as the delay lab.

I predict they won't sell many of these unless street price is around $250.
exper
That's the thing with most products, and why I'll never again buy something (non modular) as soon as it comes out. Prices will always drop a ton after a year. I remember paying full price for an apc-40, and a year later they were stupid cheap.

Remember when the monotribe was like, $85? Now they're $49.
ndkent
Probably most people know, but in case someone doesn't the 3000 is very coveted because for better or worse it's the signature delay used by the Edge in U2 for decades, not a common box with some of the units failed and discarded over the years and debatedly not something easily duplicated 100% by something else though certainly many have tried.

Randomly I noticed while trying to get more info on the Korg that there is quite a bit of DIY and boutique built action in just building the analog preamp on the 3000 without the delay.

>Remember when the monotribe was like, $85? Now they're $49.

Actually I was in Japan around when the MonoTRON (the cheaper one) and they were around US$49 retail in Japan. Possibly the $85 you remember was the grey market price of people buying in Japan and flipping them before Korg started selling them at $50 street in other countries. (If one really wants to crunch numbers, Japan has sales tax built into the price but it's lower than the US and a fraction of VAT, currency fluctuation can be tricky, I think the big companies buy currency futures and generally compensate a bit because the last thing they'd want to do is mark up an announced product because of the yen)

But I agree that the big retail music gear players always launch at a high price and do a markdown especially if they plan a sequel or still have backstock at the markdown they still make a profit. Not to be confused with bad sales and an eventual blowout which they might not be making money on.

For what it's worth, I think the MS-20 mini launched at around $540 retail in Japan. U.S. was $599 street, right? Japan has since had a markdown to $385.

Amazon.co.jp now has the SDD-3000m pedal for $430
h4ndcrafted
At £400 I think most ppl will walk on by.
The Real MC
relaxing wrote:
The Real MC wrote:
Never owned the 3000, but I love my other SDD delays - SDD-1200, SDD-2000, SDD-3300. Excellent bang for the buck.

Anyone have a good rundown on the features/differences between the series?

(None of the MIDI SDD units have MIDI clock to delay time)

SDD-1000
no MIDI, no programmability, all knobs
single 12bit delay line 0.5 to 1024 ms 16khz bandwidth
up to 110% feedback, invertible
hi cut filter, variable
single analog LFO frequency/intensity, triangle waveshape only
sample playback with trigger

SDD-1200
no MIDI, no programmability, all knobs
dual 12bit delay lines 0.5 to 1024 ms (stereo or serial) 16khz bandwidth
hi cut and low cut filter, variable
dual analog LFO frequency/intensity, triangle waveshape only, independent, in phase, or out of phase.
sample playback with trigger
nice rear panel patching for crazy effects like cross feedback or ping pong echoes

SDD-2000
MIDI (in and thru only), 64 programmable patches, rotary encoder with button interface
single 12bit delay line 0.1 to 1092 ms 18khz bandwidth, switchable to 4368 ms at 4.5khz bandwidth
no filters
TAP TEMPO!
Complimentary outputs only, not true stereo
single digital LFO frequency/intensity, triangle waveshape only. May hear discrete stepping at slow frequencies.
sample playback with trigger, can be scaled from MIDI controller and tuned +/-50ct
NOTE: bypass control is a misnomer, it should be MUTE. It mutes the delay signal but the direct signal is always present in the MIX outputs.

SDD-3000 (original, not reissue)
no MIDI, 9 programmable patches, knobs
single 12bit delay line 0.1 to 1023 ms 17khz bandwidth
hi cut and lo cut filters, switchable not variable
single digital LFO with independent frequency/intensity, waveshapes of triangle / square / random or envelope mode. May hear discrete stepping at slow frequencies.
sample playback
CV input for delay time (!)

SDD-3300
MIDI, 64 programmable patches, six sliders for editing with menu interface, MIDI remote editing
triple 12bit delay line 0.5 to 500 ms 16khz bandwidth
hi cut and lo cut filters
each delay line has dual mixable digital LFOs with independent frequency/intensity (can be phased locked with offsets between delay lines), triangle waveshape only. May hear discrete stepping at slow frequencies.
sample playback with MIDI note trigger
digital audio routing matrix system for insane effects not possible on other multiFX. Hugely rewarding if you do your homework, don't expect instant gratification.
z3r01
pacific202 wrote:
Anyone have an ETA?

I was reading the Japanese article on Icon.jp, and they stated that the release date for the pedal is 13th July, which I am assuming is for Japan. Not sure about the rest of the world though.

Funny, I was looking at the SDD series just last week, and now this. I guess I'll wait a couple of months (or a year), and grab it when the price drops.
DIVINEAUDIO
I've been considering adding one of the vintage units for a while, but the rack format is quite cumbersome. The pedal format solves that for me, and if there's clock sync via midi I'm all over this. Hoping they street for $300 or less.
wednesdayayay
I wish ole' scott and scott would do a U talkin' u2 to me episode about this wonderful release
thetwlo
ndkent wrote:

>Remember when the monotribe was like, $85? Now they're $49.

Actually I was in Japan around when they launched and they were around US$49 retail in Japan. Possibly the $85 you remember was the grey market price of people buying in Japan and flipping them before Korg started selling them at $50 street in other countries.

hmmm..... ??? they are still $199 USD new, I've seen them for $150 NEW on sale and $99 USED.
exper
Are you thinking of the monoTRIBE, not the monoTRON?
Mitaric
Sweetwater has is on pre-order at $399.99 eek!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SDD3000/
natallica
My Sweetwater rep says ETA is the 18th.
PrimateSynthesis
The Real MC wrote:

(None of the MIDI SDD units have MIDI clock to delay time)

SDD-2000
MIDI (in and thru only), 64 programmable patches, rotary encoder with button interface
single 12bit delay line 0.1 to 1092 ms 18khz bandwidth, switchable to 4368 ms at 4.5khz bandwidth
up to 110% feedback, not invertible
no filters
TAP TEMPO!
single digital LFO frequency/intensity, triangle waveshape only. May hear discrete stepping at slow frequencies.
sample playback with trigger, can be scaled from MIDI controller and tuned +/-50ct
NOTE: bypass control is a misnomer, it should be MUTE. It mutes the delay signal but the direct signal is always present in the MIX outputs.

While I appreciate the effort, did you copy this from somewhere?

The SDD-2000 can do inverted feedback. It can be set from 110% positive to 110% negative in 63 steps.

It can sync the delay time to MIDI clock, but only when it first receives the signal.

And it can play samples pitched by MIDI notes, with velocity. "Sampling" mode is one-shot, "Sequencer" mode is a loop.

It has footswitch inputs for trigger, record, program change, record cancel, and bypass. The trigger input can set the delay time to the trigger output of many drum machines. But just like MIDI clock, it won't follow changes. Unless you have a drum machine like an 808 with more than one trigger out that can also trigger the record input. Then you can put different length delays on different patterns. Neat, huh?
nadafarms
I have two sdd-3000s and they are the only digital delay that's sucked me in like the tape/analog ones do.

I've been wanting to sell one but hoping it holds it's value :(

I doubt the pedal is going to sound exactly the same, there are so many things that can wrong on a sdd3000 it makes me think all those old school parts would be hard to replicate in a cheap pedal but I could be wrong. both of mine could use a servicing.

The feedback is brutal and awesome like a tape echo and the filter/eqs so nice on a digital delay. It's really not that hard to sync it up with a track without using midi either so I'm not caring about midi clock.

399 is a deal!
The Real MC
PrimateSynthesis wrote:
While I appreciate the effort, did you copy this from somewhere?

The SDD-2000 can do inverted feedback. It can be set from 110% positive to 110% negative in 63 steps.

It can sync the delay time to MIDI clock, but only when it first receives the signal.

And it can play samples pitched by MIDI notes, with velocity. "Sampling" mode is one-shot, "Sequencer" mode is a loop.

It has footswitch inputs for trigger, record, program change, record cancel, and bypass. The trigger input can set the delay time to the trigger output of many drum machines. But just like MIDI clock, it won't follow changes. Unless you have a drum machine like an 808 with more than one trigger out that can also trigger the record input. Then you can put different length delays on different patterns. Neat, huh?

I own the 2000 and missed the inverted feedback. My bad. It's currently cased up with the road band and I hadn't played with it in a while. Haven't read the manual in a while either so I forgot about the other tricks. It's a neat box for its time, especially since MIDI was in its infancy.

The 2000 and 1000 are best for basic delay processing, the 1200 and 3300 are best for modulated delays. Never played with the 3000.
GovernorSilver
Damn, the last thing I need is another delay, but my interest is growing...
PrimateSynthesis
The Real MC wrote:
It's a neat box for its time, especially since MIDI was in its infancy.

No argument there. At the time it was the only affordable sampler. Until the Akai S900 -- which was much more expensive -- came out a year later.

And it's still my favorite flanger.
LeFreq
Just brought one home! Lovin' it!

I'm an Eventide guy, but this thing is a lot of fun... and has THAT sound. I was running analog synths through it at first, but I decided to test it on a soft synth... still gives it a nice character, although it accentuates analog a lot more.

I still want to try a Strymon Timeline (I'm a delay freak), but right now, this is my favorite delay.
mookmoof
here's audio on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMGBCDJs_rg
i didn't love it personally
Tangent: can anyone post audio of the pcm 92 delay settings? I've heard the reverb but can't find any delay demos.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 2 of 6