Hello Hordijk System

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Neovintage
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Neovintage » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:57 am

I have both a small case (2 triple panels) and a big case (4 triple).
The best is the big one. You can already have si much fun and possibilities with a small one but the system blow your mind if you have a big one. :tu:
Of course combine the two and... :sb: :hail:

milkshake
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by milkshake » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:21 am

A triple panel with a HRM, Dual Env and 1 of the filters is one beast of a synth.
Shall I ... blablabla ... to thee.

The more you pay for something, the less likely you are to critise it.

ContraPoints

101010oxo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 101010oxo » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:52 am

milkshake wrote:A triple panel with a HRM, Dual Env and 1 of the filters is one beast of a synth.
Too bad that there is no HRM-Rungler-Filter triple...

But to have a HRM-Env-Filter and Rungler-Matrix-Node thingie sounds pretty damn good!

:tu:

milkshake
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by milkshake » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:54 am

101010oxo wrote:
milkshake wrote:A triple panel with a HRM, Dual Env and 1 of the filters is one beast of a synth.

But to have a HRM-Env-Filter and Rungler-Matrix-Node thingie sounds pretty damn good!

What are the triple panels Rob can make?

ContraPoints

101010oxo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 101010oxo » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:34 am

milkshake wrote:
101010oxo wrote:

What are the triple panels Rob can make?
I don't know, I just checked modulargrid and assumed (wrongly?) that those were what is available :despair:

osc1899
Common Wiggler

Post by osc1899 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:42 am

Rob can make every combination which suits your needs.

I do know that the minimatrix-node procs is the only combination of modules which are inextricably linked.

I have 2 cases with 2 triples each. When I was at Rob's atelier I was free to choose which modules I wanted in my system.

No I have 1 case with:
TriLFO-Shaper/Phaser-24dbFilter
Rungler-Minimatrix-Nodeprocs

And the other:
Moon M569 sequencer
OscHrm-DualEnv v2-Twinpeak Filter

Neovintage
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Neovintage » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:06 am

There is Rungler/OscHRM/TwinPeak.
This panel is sort of a Blippoo Box with more possibilities.
You can always ask if it is possible to have with the 24dB Filter

101010oxo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 101010oxo » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:14 am

Neovintage wrote:There is Rungler/OscHRM/TwinPeak.
That sounds great! I asked Rob for a Blippoo (last November iirc) and don't mind waiting, but now I think I might as well take a triple panel and maybe expand on that later... :hmm:

blue_lu
Ultra Wiggler

Post by blue_lu » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:34 am

Are there any demoes of the Twin Peak Filter?

How does it compare to the "standard" 24db filter?

ear ear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ear ear » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:03 pm

blue_lu wrote:Are there any demoes of the Twin Peak Filter?

How does it compare to the "standard" 24db filter?
Haven't seen any demoes. Try asking osc1899 - he/she has one. It's the filter from the Blippoo Box, so I imagine Blippoo Box demoes would give you some insight. It has two resonant frequency peaks, hence the name, but doesn't have the spectral mixing thing going on, nor the two types of distortion. Although, having said that about mixing, here's a quote from someone who has actually seen one in-the-flesh from back on p.34:
trotz wrote:I visited Rob a few weeks ago :hail: and he showed me the improved oscillator as well as the TwinPeak filter (yes, he admitted being a fan of Lynch).

The filters are very flexible, you can also use of them as some kind of dual-mixer and they have a smooth creamy sound that has a (very) different resonance characteristic from the original filter. They can also sound deliciously clangorous when modulated at audiorates too! As expected, some nice formant qualities are easy obtainable as well.
Panel image courtesy of osc1899 from back on p.31:

He throws the ink first and works out what it is later. "I've got to turn that into parrots." - Ralph Steadman

milkshake
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by milkshake » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:43 pm

Don't forget the Phaser filter!
All 3 are must have filters for any large 5U system.

ContraPoints

ear ear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ear ear » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:55 pm

milkshake wrote:
What's the story with the Phaser Filter? Is it actually true that he stopped making it? It's my favourite Hordijk module. I'm going to order a Twin Peak Filter, I'll ask Rob about the Phaser Filter at the same time.
He throws the ink first and works out what it is later. "I've got to turn that into parrots." - Ralph Steadman

milkshake
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by milkshake » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:48 pm

ear ear wrote:
milkshake wrote:
What's the story with the Phaser Filter? Is it actually true that he stopped making it? It's my favourite Hordijk module. I'm going to order a Twin Peak Filter, I'll ask Rob about the Phaser Filter at the same time.
With a dual phaser in your system, the phaser filter could be considered obsolete. But it sure is a nice module to have.
Let us know what Rob says about it. :tu:

ContraPoints

ear ear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ear ear » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:11 pm

No way, they're very different. I swapped out the Dual Phaser for a VCA-Shaper/Phaser. The Phaser Filter is not going anywhere. :sb:

johnnie red
Learning to Wiggle

Post by johnnie red » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:17 pm

ear ear wrote:
milkshake wrote:
There's also the VCA-Shaper-Phaser module. I'm not sure if it was meant to replace the Phaser Filter, but the wave folder makes the module a nice addition to a Hordijk system that already has a filter. Definitely adds some nice grit.

ear ear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ear ear » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:52 pm

No, it doesn't replace the Phaser Filter. I've got both. You can use the functions separately in the Phaser Filter, but they're designed to work together. The VCA-Shaper/Phaser is two separate modules behind a single panel.

Neovintage
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Neovintage » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:16 pm

The PhaserFilter isn't produce anymore. This was sort of a prototype and only 2 or 3 units were sold.
The ShaperPhaser is a great module with flexibility and a wide range of possible timbres - as all Rob's modules.

I spent thursday and friday at Rob's workshop to improve my system and he gave me some great demos and explanations about the modules.
I really recommend you to pick up your eventual system at his place. Rob is such a nice guy, you won't regret it.

The TwinPeak is a little different from the Blippoo one. I spent 2 hours patching both and trying to get the same sound and check at the scope. I was really close but the Blippoo got some sort of slightly grinder sound. Maybe I should have add some gain or waveshaping.
The Twinpeak pings really nicely and Rob gave me some Gamelan type sounds. :hail: :yay:

The DualEnv now has Gate In normalized to EnvB repeat mode if nothing is plugged in and the length of the gate is set with AttackB.

johnnie red
Learning to Wiggle

Post by johnnie red » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:17 pm

ear ear wrote:The VCA-Shaper/Phaser is two separate modules behind a single panel.
That sound great together. Especially with Rob's filter somewhere in the chain.

ear ear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ear ear » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:31 pm

Neovintage wrote:The PhaserFilter isn't produce anymore. This was sort of a prototype and only 2 or 3 units were sold.
Two or three units? :eek: Did you hear that from Rob? I don't understand why he would have wanted to discontinue it - maybe there was a technical reason? :hmm: I love it, it's an ultra-flexible box-of-tricks.

Neovintage
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Neovintage » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:56 pm

I heard that from Rob.

101010oxo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 101010oxo » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:09 am

Neovintage wrote:I spent thursday and friday at Rob's workshop to improve my system and he gave me some great demos and explanations about the modules.
You didn't by any chance see or hear anything about a "Blippoo XL"? I asked Rob for a Blippoo and Matrix mixer and he said (almost a year ago) that he can't build the mixer anymore because some part had become obsolete but that he was thinking about an extended "Blippoo XL"...

Neovintage
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Neovintage » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:30 am

I asked him but this is just an idea. Nothing is in process and he doesn't know if he will released it.
I think the best is to wait. He's building systems all my himself (sometimes with Richard) and R&D is taking a lot of time. If a Blippoo XL is meant to be released, it will.

Neovintage
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Neovintage » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:04 am

One great combination for a big case (4 triple-panel) that Rob offers is
OscHRMsub/DualENVv2/TwinPeak
OscHRMsub/DualENVv2/24dBFilter
NodeProcs/MiniMatrix/TriLF-VCO
Rungler/DualFader/ShaperPhaser

This system is top notch. :tu:

101010oxo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 101010oxo » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:11 am

Neovintage wrote:I think the best is to wait.
Yep, I will. As stated before I don't mind waiting. And there is so much else to explore :-)

ear ear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ear ear » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:30 am

More Twinpeak Filter information:

Basically the Twinpeak is more a principle than a specific filter design, the principle is two 'inverse-parallel' lowpass filters that always share the same gain to create a bandpass filter with corner peaking at the two corners of the band. It can be implemented with different kind of filters, 2x12dB, 2x18dB, 2x24dB, etc, as long as the two filters always have the same gain, causing the subtraction to fully suppress the band below the lowest peak. The flowchart shows this principle. The big advantage of the Twinpeak principle over a lowpass and a highpass in series is that the peak cutoffs can 'cross' and that it doesn't matter which of the two filters is tuned lower or higher as the other. And that the band can be set to virtually zero bandwidth when both filters are tuned exactly the same no matter the resonance setting, which one would expect from a real bandpass filter.

And because I have always been a big fan of all the work of David Lynch the name Twinpeak is a wink of the eye to that great artist.

In essence there are two independent lowpass filters in parallel, only sharing the resonance knob and their outputs mixed in 'anti-phase', or in other words their output signals are subtracted from each other, instead of added. In practice this means that if both filters get the same input signal the LP band set to the lowest cutoff is subtracted from the LP band with the highest cutoff and this creates a bandpass response that only passes what is 'between the two cutoff frequency settings'.

The trick in the Twinpeak is how the input to both filters is mixed before they go into the two parallel filters. So, not only the outputs are mixed but there is mixing on the inputs going on as well. The A and B input connectors both have their separate input mixers. For input A its signal always goes into filter one and the curve A knob sets how much of the input signal goes into filter two. So, if the curve knob is closed the IN A signal only goes into filter one and in the final output you only hear the effect of filter one on the IN A input signal. And thus it has a lowpass response as filter two does not get the input signal. That means that there is also not the subtraction at work that create the bandpass, as filter two gives nothing to subtract. Then , by opening the IN A curve knob, the signal level of IN A into filter two is increased and now there is something coming out of filter two and the final output curve changes towards a bandpass curve. For IN B it works the same, but this input always goes into filter two and through the curve B knob to filter one.

Basically it means the following options:

1) When both curve knobs are at 'lowpass' IN A goes into filter one only and IN B goes into filter two only. Now the Twinpeak works as two independent lowpass filters with their outputs mixed into one output connector. Because they are mixed in anti-phase the IN B signal part will be in antiphase on the output, while the IN A signal part is still in phase. Modulate each filter independently by the PEAK 1 MOD and the PEAK 2 MOD knobs only, as the CUTOFF MOD knob will modulate both filters in a linked way.

2) When curve A is at lowpass and curve B is at bandpass you hear the lowpass part of IN A, set only by the cutoff peak 1 knob. And from the signal on IN B you will hear the band between the cutoff peak 1 and the cutoff peak 2 knobs .

3) When curve A is at bandpass and curve B is at lowpass you hear the lowpass part of IN B, set only by the cutoff peak 1 knob. And from the signal on IN A you will hear the band between the cutoff peak 1 and the cutoff peak 2 knobs .

4) When both curve knobs are at bandpass both IN A and IN B will be bandfiltered with the same band between the cutoff peak 1 and cutoff peak 2 knobs.

5) And there are many settings in between, also when there are two totally different signals on IN A and IN B. It is best to judge the effects by ear.

Note that the 1V-OCT input will affect both paralllel filters equally, like the CUTOFF MOD knob does.

Note that the filter has a very good 'ping' characteristic at its maximum resonance. It lets itself also be modulated very well by audio rate signals. E.g. feeding a slow B PULSE from the TriLFO into e.g. IN A on the Twinpeak and feeding the A SINE from the TriLFO into the CUTOFF MOD on the Twinpeak will create a wide range of 'metallic' percussive sounds when the LF-VCO A RATE is tuned to audio rates.

And note that the PEAK 1 MOD and PEAK 2 MOD have there zero level at twelve o'clock and turning them to the left will 'reverse' the direction of e.g. an envelope sweep.

Return to “5U Format Modules”