MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Serge in Eurorack Format
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Serge in Eurorack Format
widgetoz
We are pleased to announce the release of the Serge family of modules in the smaller compact 3U euro-modular format.
Each module is being revisited to ensure that it makes the best use of the smaller format. For purists you can have these modules with 4mm banana sockets while for those wanting to add Serge designs to their existing 3U system can have the modules with 3.5mm jacks. We currently have 3 modules available with a further 3 coming out over the next month. The intention is to release most, if not all ,of the Serge designs in this new format offering the potential to build a COMPLETE Serge system.
All of this is being done with the express permission of Serge himself while some of the designs are being done in conjunction with Ken Stone.
Pop over to www.elby-designs.com and look at the EURO-SERGE.
Current modules are:-
ES11 - Triple Comparator and Schmitt Trigger
ES84 - Peak & Trough
ES114 - Universal Slope Generator

Upcoming designs are:-
ES202 - Resonant Equalizer
ES79 - Ring Modulator

The following designs are under development now:-
ES116 - Extended ADSR
ES02 - Preamp Detector

The following Panther modules are available with 4mm sockets:-
CGS734 - Analog Shift Register
IF109 - TGTSH
IF113 - 5-Pulser
CGS735 - Synthacon Filter
ED103 - MIDI2SDS
CGS758 - Utility LFO

The following modules will soon be re-released with support for 4mm sockets:-
IF112 - Double Deka US VCO
ES75 - VCS
CGS733 - Matrix Mixer
ignatius
applause

nice. congrats on moving forward w/serge designs! great news.
a100user
3U with bananas, who could ask for more?

Excellent
AAG
This will be hard on my finances...
WhiteIsBeautiful
just when i think i have my rack planned out Dead Banana
ben_hex
Looking forward to seeing these come to life.
Kentucky
MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING woah
Summa
personally I'm only intrigued by the ES202 module, everything else is pretty much already taken care of.. but hey since it's DIY it's all good, my skills are really improving doing some of the Hexinverter modules and if I understand things correctly these are also going to be available as kits?
exper
What does this mean for the Tiptop Serge line?. Wasn't Serge T. working directly with them on serge modules in the euro format?
Summa
Interesting question exper, I was thinking that it was just a one-off for that WAD they announced way back?
exper
Summa wrote:
Interesting question exper, I was thinking that it was just a one-off for that WAD they announced way back?

No it was planned for lots of the serge line. Ssg, wad, etc.

http://www.matrixsynth.com/2013/03/serge-tcherepnin-coming-back-to-mod ular.html

Maybe the difference is that these elby ones are all the old serge designs. P&T, positive slew, etc.
plogbidman
DIY only or for everyone ?
cger
According to the website, both.

plogbidman wrote:
cger
Serge in Euro = Super Awesome!
widgetoz
Summa wrote:
personally I'm only intrigued by the ES202 module, everything else is pretty much already taken care of.. but hey since it's DIY it's all good, my skills are really improving doing some of the Hexinverter modules and if I understand things correctly these are also going to be available as kits?

Yes, all Euro-Serge modules will be available as kits. whether the kit is released at the same tome as the module of follows a month or so later is dictated my a number of internal factors but they WILL be available. That is part of the overall Panther philosophy or which the Euro-Serge is a family member
widgetoz
exper wrote:
What does this mean for the Tiptop Serge line?. Wasn't Serge T. working directly with them on serge modules in the euro format?

Watch this space for a formal announcement one way or the other in the coming weeks
tmcnvs
This looks great! A good way to get some more DIY under my belt.
widgetoz
plogbidman wrote:

On the intro page to the Euro-Serge - available both in kit and fully assembled form.
spoor
widgetoz - really great news. Will we see a WAD at some point?
widgetoz
spoor wrote:
widgetoz - really great news. Will we see a WAD at some point?

I see no reason not, although of course the issue over the SAD1024 will need to be addressed.
The main priority over the next few months will be to get some basic building block modules up and running so that is is feasible to start building a system and have some of the key elements now.
spoor
Good to hear that its a possibility.

I'll definitely be getting some of this range in kits - I hope you can stock them at Thonk.
tmcnvs
spoor wrote:
I hope you can stock them at Thonk.

+1
Naut.Sirius
donboldul wrote:
This is a walk through metal detector, if your company or home need security inspection, then this one can perfectly meet your demand, what you need to do is come to gain more information about it and pick up one then.

Duplan
So now in NAMM TipTop Serge eurorack modules are in display...

Confusing isn't it seriously, i just don't get it
colorbars
Anywhere to find more info on the tiptop serge?
widgetoz
widgetoz wrote:
We are pleased to announce the release of the Serge family of modules in the smaller compact 3U euro-modular format.
Each module is being revisited to ensure that it makes the best use of the smaller format. For purists you can have these modules with 4mm banana sockets while for those wanting to add Serge designs to their existing 3U system can have the modules with 3.5mm jacks. We currently have 3 modules available with a further 3 coming out over the next month. The intention is to release most, if not all ,of the Serge designs in this new format offering the potential to build a COMPLETE Serge system.
All of this is being done with the express permission of Serge himself while some of the designs are being done in conjunction with Ken Stone.
ES84 - Peak & Trough

ES79 - Ring Modulator

ES116 - Extended ADSR
ES02 - Preamp Detector

IF109 - TGTSH
IF113 - 5-Pulser
ED103 - MIDI2SDS
CGS758 - Utility LFO

ES75 - VCS
CGS733 - Matrix Mixer

The range has now expanded and includes:
ES04 - VCM 1
ES05 - Noise Source
ES06 - 1973 Envelope Generator
ES07 - 1973 VCF
ES08 - Audio Mixer
ES09 - Positive Slew Generator
ES10 - Triple Wave Shaper
ES11 - Triple Comparator & Schmitt Trigger
ES12 - Triple Bi-Directional Router
ES14 - Voltage Processor
ES17 - VCM 2
ES18 - VCM 3
ES19 - Negative Slew Generator
ES20 - 1973 VCO
ES21 - 10-Step Sequencer
ES22 - Resonant Equalizer
ES23 - Sequencer-Programmer
ES24 - 4-Stage Programmer Extension
ES75 - VCS
ES78 - VCA
ES79 - Ring Modulator
ES84 - Peak & Trough

Add to these
ASM306 - Audio Out
ASM308 - CV Mixer
ASM324 - Xpander
CGS733 - 4x4 Matrix Mixer
CGS734 - ASR

and then add ALL the other Panther modules ALL with 4mm jacks (or 3.5mm if you really must!)
DIY and Assembled......
akrylik
widgetoz wrote:
widgetoz wrote:
ES84 - Peak & Trough

ES79 - Ring Modulator

ES116 - Extended ADSR
ES02 - Preamp Detector

IF109 - TGTSH
IF113 - 5-Pulser
ED103 - MIDI2SDS
CGS758 - Utility LFO

ES75 - VCS
CGS733 - Matrix Mixer

ES04 - VCM 1
ES05 - Noise Source
ES07 - 1973 VCF
ES08 - Audio Mixer
ES14 - Voltage Processor
ES17 - VCM 2
ES18 - VCM 3
ES20 - 1973 VCO
ES21 - 10-Step Sequencer
ES75 - VCS
ES78 - VCA
ES79 - Ring Modulator
ES84 - Peak & Trough

Add to these
ASM306 - Audio Out
ASM308 - CV Mixer
ASM324 - Xpander
CGS734 - ASR

and then add ALL the other Panther modules ALL with 4mm jacks (or 3.5mm if you really must!)
DIY and Assembled......

Is there way to see actual pictures of your built modules from the ED and ES series?
widgetoz
akrylik wrote:
widgetoz wrote:
widgetoz wrote:
ES84 - Peak & Trough

ES79 - Ring Modulator

ES116 - Extended ADSR
ES02 - Preamp Detector

IF109 - TGTSH
IF113 - 5-Pulser
ED103 - MIDI2SDS
CGS758 - Utility LFO

ES75 - VCS
CGS733 - Matrix Mixer

ES04 - VCM 1
ES05 - Noise Source
ES07 - 1973 VCF
ES08 - Audio Mixer
ES14 - Voltage Processor
ES17 - VCM 2
ES18 - VCM 3
ES20 - 1973 VCO
ES21 - 10-Step Sequencer
ES75 - VCS
ES78 - VCA
ES79 - Ring Modulator
ES84 - Peak & Trough

Add to these
ASM306 - Audio Out
ASM308 - CV Mixer
ASM324 - Xpander
CGS734 - ASR

DIY and Assembled......

Is there way to see actual pictures of your built modules from the ED and ES series?

If you go in to the shop you can peruse all the module front panels either under the EuroSerge category (4mm jacks) or the Panther category (3.5mm jacks). You can also go in to the WebTek section and under Panther see a list of all the modules with a link on each one to the panel.
I don't have photographs of the physical modules yet but they are the same as other modules in the Panther family with many of them using a new design/assembly method that results in the modules being 60mm deep
widgetoz
widgetoz wrote:
akrylik wrote:
widgetoz wrote:
widgetoz wrote:
ES84 - Peak & Trough

ES79 - Ring Modulator

ES116 - Extended ADSR
ES02 - Preamp Detector

IF109 - TGTSH
IF113 - 5-Pulser
ED103 - MIDI2SDS
CGS758 - Utility LFO

ES75 - VCS
CGS733 - Matrix Mixer

ES04 - VCM 1
ES05 - Noise Source
ES07 - 1973 VCF
ES08 - Audio Mixer
ES14 - Voltage Processor
ES17 - VCM 2
ES18 - VCM 3
ES20 - 1973 VCO
ES21 - 10-Step Sequencer
ES75 - VCS
ES78 - VCA
ES79 - Ring Modulator
ES84 - Peak & Trough

Add to these
ASM306 - Audio Out
ASM308 - CV Mixer
ASM324 - Xpander
CGS734 - ASR

DIY and Assembled......

If you go in to the shop you can peruse all the module front panels either under the EuroSerge category (4mm jacks) or the Panther category (3.5mm jacks). You can also go in to the WebTek section and under Panther see a list of all the modules with a link on each one to the panel.
I don't have photographs of the physical modules yet but they are the same as other modules in the Panther family with many of them using a new design/assembly method that results in the modules being 60mm deep

Oh and you should be able to see them on ModularGrid although the specifications have yet to be loaded
peripatitis
Anyone knows what the peak and through module does ?
Norgatron
The peak and trough (not 'through') has two sections - peak and trough. Each section has four inputs and an output. The peak section outputs the highest of the four inputs and the trough section outputs the lower of its four inputs.

http://www.elby-designs.com/webtek/panther/es84-peak-trough/es84-guide .pdf
peripatitis
Norgatron wrote:
The peak and trough (not 'through') has two sections - peak and trough. Each section has four inputs and an output. The peak section outputs the highest of the four inputs and the trough section outputs the lower of its four inputs.

http://www.elby-designs.com/webtek/panther/es84-peak-trough/es84-guide .pdf

aaa ok that makes sense smile

thumbs up
opsysbug
Anybody have any of this Elby Serge? Just ordered my first and very curious as to if I want to set up a small system.
Randy
I'm considering some of this too. The R*S stuff is nice and I have one piece but I'd like to try something a bit less expensive. The Elby stuff looks cool but I'm wondering a few things. Does it do a reasonable job of replicating the Serge sound? Should I go bananas or 3.5mm (it would be in a Euro-style rack)? For some of the standard modules, like VCAs for example, can I go with smaller, Euro versions? Might be dumb if I go with bananas I suppose.

Thanks

Randy
widgetoz
Randy wrote:
I'm considering some of this too. The R*S stuff is nice and I have one piece but I'd like to try something a bit less expensive. The Elby stuff looks cool but I'm wondering a few things. Does it do a reasonable job of replicating the Serge sound? Should I go bananas or 3.5mm (it would be in a Euro-style rack)? For some of the standard modules, like VCAs for example, can I go with smaller, Euro versions? Might be dumb if I go with bananas I suppose.

Thanks

Randy

The EuroSerge modules are as near as possible 100% copies of the original designs and have been fully approved by Serge. We have had to update a few transistors here and there and the old CA3080 has just had to be replaced but the design concept and philosophy is to produce the classic 1973 Serge experience in the more compact form.
Changing to 3U shouldn't have had a major impact on the quality of interaction for the user as compared to using the (slightly) larger 4U format. Bu opting for the 4mm versions you couldn't get much closer to the original system without going 4U.
The 3.5mm versions are there for those waning to add some 'Sergeness' to their system without the hassle of mixing patch formats. Those users should be aware though that they should consider adding additional multiples to compensate for the reduce 'patch programmability' of 3.5mm over 4mm.
Our ASM324-Xpander (Multiples) modules can be supplied with a mix of 3.5mm and 4mm jacks allowing you to build a 2-section synth with 4mm in one and 3.5mm in the other. OR you can buy our drop-in Cliff replacement jacks and convert some f your 3.5mm modules to 4mm :)
Randy
Thanks widgetoz! I'm still deciding if I should go with the bananas or not. The rack this will be in also has a Mutable Instruments Anushri and some sort of touch keyboard, but I also have a Phenol and have already made a 3.5mm to banana multiple and have another 3.5mm buffered mult in there. The Cliff replacement jacks are tempting too.

Can I ask one more potentially dumb question? In your opinion, what are the essential Serge modules? I don't mean basic things like filters and VCOs but perhaps more unusual stuff, like the ASR for example.

Randy
thrasumachos
widgetoz,

looking at your site it looks like you're updating the preamp module, is it still 10hp? The new image looks like 7hp -- that would be awesome!

Also, are there any plans to do the Serge phaser in the EuroSerge line? I know Ken Stone did a pcb for it that you carry, but that has the mixers attached and is definitely too big for 3u.
widgetoz
Randy wrote:
Thanks widgetoz! I'm still deciding if I should go with the bananas or not. The rack this will be in also has a Mutable Instruments Anushri and some sort of touch keyboard, but I also have a Phenol and have already made a 3.5mm to banana multiple and have another 3.5mm buffered mult in there. The Cliff replacement jacks are tempting too.

Can I ask one more potentially dumb question? In your opinion, what are the essential Serge modules? I don't mean basic things like filters and VCOs but perhaps more unusual stuff, like the ASR for example.

Randy

I would highly recommend studying the various systems that Doug Lynner has designed for us. The 3 small systems are each expansions to the previous (Teaser - Beginner - Starter) and emphasise the importance of the modules and which ones should be considered as the basis of a EuroSerge system.
You will note that the Teaser systems doesn't even have a VCO, VCF or VCA and yet is a powerful system extolling the flexibility of the modules that have been included - THOSE would be considered as important modules to include.
widgetoz
thrasumachos wrote:
widgetoz,

looking at your site it looks like you're updating the preamp module, is it still 10hp? The new image looks like 7hp -- that would be awesome!

Also, are there any plans to do the Serge phaser in the EuroSerge line? I know Ken Stone did a pcb for it that you carry, but that has the mixers attached and is definitely too big for 3u.

The ES02 has been updated and is now an 8HP module.
The long term plan is to include most of the Serge modules in to the EuroSerge family although there will be a few exceptions. For example we have no plans to release the WAD.
We are currently working on a mixer solution and then will probably look at a few more of the filter variants. As for the phaser, that is on the list of modules to look at and I will discuss with Serge closer to the time that we review that module.
thrasumachos
widgetoz wrote:
We are currently working on a mixer solution...

Ooohhh , this is interesting. Something beyond the ES08/ASM306 combo? Maybe with panning/internal vca's?
widgetoz
thrasumachos wrote:
widgetoz wrote:
We are currently working on a mixer solution...

Ooohhh , this is interesting. Something beyond the ES08/ASM306 combo? Maybe with panning/internal vca's?

Yes, it is an update (by Serge himself) to the Stereo Panner Mixer and Stereo Output modules on the Serge catalogue. Due to design constraints this will most likely be a 3 module system. More details in the next couple of weeks.
scozbor
Could you please give us a run down on the 1973 VCO?

I'm confused by the comments (in it's description) about 1v tracking.
I would love to hear some user's opinions on it.
widgetoz
scozbor wrote:
Could you please give us a run down on the 1973 VCO?

I'm confused by the comments (in it's description) about 1v tracking.
I would love to hear some user's opinions on it.

It doesn't have a fixed 1V/octave input. It has a scalable input but if you watch Doug Lynners POTW on the VCO you can see that it can be tuned to 1V/OctavePOTW-Scalable VCO
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 2