Banana to 1/8 cable

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord, sduck

Cybananna
Funniest Guy

Banana to 1/8 cable

Post by Cybananna » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:26 am

I searched the forum and the web and didn't find anything too relavent. I'd like to make a few banana to 1/8 cables (male to male). Using Ken Stone's example for a banana to 1/8 jack adapter, I think all I need is a male banana jack, male 1/8 jack and a single piece of wire to connect the banana jack to the signal terminal of the 1/8 jack.

I've never used banana jacks before so I'm totally new to this.

The purpose is to go from a lfo(1/8) to a cv in(banana) on another device. The device I want to modulate has a banana ground too, so would I be better to connect a banana jack to the signal of the 1/8 anda banana jack to the ground of the 1/8 then connect the lfo to the cv in and banana grind both?

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:31 am

I've done ones like this before:::

First cable has signal and ground:

Then further cables within the same system won't require ground:

Of course, if you're simply patching to a banana module that IS WITHIN THE SAME SYSTEM then you won't need to ground because the modules will already be grounded through the power buss.

I tend to go for female sockets so that you can then extend to whatever length you want, but of course if you know you'll only want short runs then male sockets would be perfect!

Cybananna
Funniest Guy

Post by Cybananna » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:40 am

Excellet!!!!

That is exactly the advice I was looking for. I thought someone here would have done this.

Thanks!

EDIT: it works! :mrgreen:

floris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by floris » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:21 am

could i also connect the ground from my banana system to any jack sleeve (ground) from my jack system and patch everything else like the second picture?

ndkent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ndkent » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:35 am

floris wrote:could i also connect the ground from my banana system to any jack sleeve (ground) from my jack system and patch everything else like the second picture?
Generally, yes.

If you hear a hum or something doesn't sound right then connect somewhere else. It's possible what you think is a ground on the miniplug system isn't really going anywhere.

You might get away with no ground on anything, especially if it's CV, but you ought to ground something.

From experience, check out your levels, you may have something much hotter with bananas than you think. You can always try to go through an attenuator and gradually turn it up.

The one thing that initially made me scratch my head is that Moogerfoogers are TRS and I assumed they weren't, so check the doc

Return to “Music Tech DIY”