MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

OBX voice card (with non-custom CEM3310 equivalent circuits)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 67, 68, 69  Next [all]
Author OBX voice card (with non-custom CEM3310 equivalent circuits)
Rhea
Can anyone comment on omitting R158 from the voice board. This is mentioned on the schematic. In all the pictures on the crowbx site, it looks as though there is a resistor placed. Also, can I test one or two voice boards at a time or will I need all four inserted before testing? Thanks
oldcrow
You can install it. It is just to make sure the gate is held off if no external gate connection exists.

You can test the voice boards one at a time, no need to have them all in at once. The only difference you will notice is the portamento time.

--Crow

Rhea wrote:
Can anyone comment on omitting R158 from the voice board. This is mentioned on the schematic. In all the pictures on the crowbx site, it looks as though there is a resistor placed. Also, can I test one or two voice boards at a time or will I need all four inserted before testing? Thanks
oldcrow
I needed an 8-channel MIDICV device to test the almost-built 8-voice backplane, so I made one. I will be using this circuit on the patch manager/key assigner board. The crOwBX-8 will also have USB MIDI input. SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

ttown23
The Real MC wrote:
ttown23 wrote:
Hey guys what are folks doing in terms of making the cables to connect the upper voice card carrier tray to the vintage OBX?

I made my own, but my mistake was buying the connectors with crimps which turned out to be unreliable. I wound up pulling the contacts out of the connectors and soldering the wires to them.

Any idea if there is a supplier of ready-made cables? I just got done making a ton of cables and not really looking forward to making more!
synaptech
oldcrow wrote:
I needed an 8-channel MIDICV device to test the almost-built 8-voice backplane, so I made one. I will be using this circuit on the patch manager/key assigner board. The crOwBX-8 will also have USB MIDI input. SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

Beautiful oldcrow! Do you have a goal date in mind for the 8 voice backplane? grin
oldcrow
I will have several backplane bare boards for sale in the next week or so. I am finalizing the rev2.2 voice cards that will be used on it. Note: rev2 boards will work also. More backplane boards and board sets will be available once CNY ends and board houses bother to ship to me again. screaming goo yo

synaptech wrote:

Beautiful oldcrow! Do you have a goal date in mind for the 8 voice backplane? grin
synaptech
oldcrow wrote:
I will have several backplane bare boards for sale in the next week or so. I am finalizing the rev2.2 voice cards that will be used on it. Note: rev2 boards will work also. More backplane boards and board sets will be available once CNY ends and board houses bother to ship to me again. screaming goo yo

synaptech wrote:

Awesome news! Are there any major differences with the 2.2 boards? The boards marked rev B are 2.0?
oldcrow
Rev.B is in fact "2.0." Rev.A was never offered (though I think one person got one in error). Rev2.2 is designed for the eight-voice project and allows the use of right-angle or bottom entry board headers. The idea here was to do away with the slot adapter for crowbx projects but still have the board drop into vintage OBX trays. Rev2.2 (and 2.1) were first made as all-SMT for the upcoming crowbx euro module but I created a throughhole version for DIY folks. SlayerBadger!

Rev2.1 to 2.2 is mostly tweaks for the on-board voltage regulation to allow 10V (euro) or 15V (4/8 voice) operation.

synaptech wrote:
Awesome news! Are there any major differences with the 2.2 boards? The boards marked rev B are 2.0?
The Real MC
oldcrow wrote:
I created a throughhole version for DIY folks. SlayerBadger!

I was going to ask this... It's peanut butter jelly time! SlayerBadger!
oldcrow
Here is one of my rev2.1 boards which was used to debug the filter mode selector and filter EG->VCO2 modulation path. Note that I crammed both the bottom-entry and right-angle molex headers onto the board. Only one type is needed depending on the application: horizontal drop-in for OBX tray or vertical plug-in for 4 and 8-voice crowbx. I will be submitting the rev2.2 (through-hole) boards to the board house this week. I will be offering a pre-order discount for the 1-voice and 4-voice board sets until early April. --Crow

oldcrow
I have a few eight-voice backplane bare boards up for sale. These would need their own enclosure sized to fit the eight voice cards vertically. I am using a 3rd-party Yamaha TX-816 rack enclosure as the basis for my 8-voice prototype.
indigoid
IIRC you mentioned a while back that you were considering doing voice cards that were mostly SMD - is that going to be a thing?

Can't wait to hear the 8-voice unit. Even the first 4-voice demo you posted here, ages ago, sounded totes amazeballs
JoeMorris
oldcrow wrote:
I have a few eight-voice backplane bare boards up for sale. These would need their own enclosure sized to fit the eight voice cards vertically. I am using a 3rd-party Yamaha TX-816 rack enclosure as the basis for my 8-voice prototype.

How can I order one of these?
Many thanks
Joe

edit: don't worry, worked it out!
Rhea
Quote:
D1 & D2 protect against input reversal for the regulators.
D3 & D4 protect against output reversal for the board.
D5 & D6 protect against reverse currents through the regulators and are only required if there are large capacitors on the board (15V side).
All diodes 1N4001 ... 1N4007.

Can someone please post pictures of how they implemented these changes? Will I be OK if I only add D1, D2 & D3?
Can I solder D1 and D2 to the posts on the power supply?

Please laugh or cringe and then pardon my ignorance. I'm slowly getting better at reading and translating schematics into physical devices.

I'm really looking forward to testing this synth and this is the only thing left to figure out (provided everything else I did was correct).

Thanks.
ultravox
The Eight-Voice Backplane arrived today - thanks oldcrow! SlayerBadger!

I have 2 Four-Voice board sets to combine to make an Eight-Voice crOwBX. I'm guessing the build will go like this: 1 Host Board, 1 Eight-Voice Backplane, 8 Voice Boards, 8 Slot Adapters and 1 Noise PIC. Is this correct?

Also, does the Eight-Voice have the same power requirements as the Four-Voice, or does it need a beefier supply?

oldcrow
You are doubling the number of voices, so you will want a power supply that can deliver 2x the current. 1.5A per rail is sufficient.

I am working out the details of the BoM and build doc. If you are using slot adapters, they can be built as "bypass" adapters where only jumpers are installed for R6, R7, R12 and R14. Other than the Molex headers and connectors, all other slot adapter parts can be omitted.

If a slot adapter is already assembled with the active circuitry, then certain parts (per voice) can be omitted on the backplane. I'll cover that in the docs. --Crow

/**/

ultravox wrote:

I have 2 Four-Voice board sets to combine to make an Eight-Voice crOwBX. I'm guessing the build will go like this: 1 Host Board, 1 Eight-Voice Backplane, 8 Voice Boards, 8 Slot Adapters and 1 Noise PIC. Is this correct?

Also, does the Eight-Voice have the same power requirements as the Four-Voice, or does it need a beefier supply?

oldcrow
Yes, I've been focusing on this in the past few months. SlayerBadger! --Crow

indigoid wrote:
IIRC you mentioned a while back that you were considering doing voice cards that were mostly SMD - is that going to be a thing?

Can't wait to hear the 8-voice unit. Even the first 4-voice demo you posted here, ages ago, sounded totes amazeballs
ultravox
Thanks Crow. All of my boards are still bare in anticipation of any changes needed for the eight voice. I think I'll start the rev 2.0 voice boards which I believe should be populated same as the four voice system. I might also start the slot adapters as described below.

oldcrow wrote:
You are doubling the number of voices, so you will want a power supply that can deliver 2x the current. 1.5A per rail is sufficient.

I am working out the details of the BoM and build doc. If you are using slot adapters, they can be built as "bypass" adapters where only jumpers are installed for R6, R7, R12 and R14. Other than the Molex headers and connectors, all other slot adapter parts can be omitted.

If a slot adapter is already assembled with the active circuitry, then certain parts (per voice) can be omitted on the backplane. I'll cover that in the docs. --Crow

/**/

ultravox wrote:

ultravox
Hi all, I've built my DigiKey Voice Board cart from BoM rev. 2.0 (09/09/2013) and have a couple of minor questions.

The 47K resistors (47KXBK-ND) for R68, R73, R74, R81, R105, R133 and R141 don't seem to be in existence. Is it ok to use 46.4K or 47.5K? If not, what's preferred?

Also the 1M5 1% resistors (1.5MGACT-ND) for R5, R6 and the 1M 1% resistors (1MGACT-ND) for R126, R144, R166, R170 are non-stock call orders. Is there another source or alternative for these?

I'm building the 8 voice and hoping to get enough stock for all boards.

Many thanks!
flts
47k and 1M5 are both very common resistance values and you'll certainly be able to find alternate part from many different suppliers in the same store, so no need to substitute another resistance value or look for other sources to order from.

The reason the BOM lists a specific part (from Yageo?) is so that one can just go ahead and order the cart. However, any 1% through hole metal film resistor in same value will work identically. Probably should be something like 1/4 (or 1/2) W though, any bigger than that and the part may not fit on boards nicely.

ultravox wrote:
The 47K resistors (47KXBK-ND) for R68, R73, R74, R81, R105, R133 and R141 don't seem to be in existence. Is it ok to use 46.4K or 47.5K? If not, what's preferred?

Also the 1M5 1% resistors (1.5MGACT-ND) for R5, R6 and the 1M 1% resistors (1MGACT-ND) for R126, R144, R166, R170 are non-stock call orders. Is there another source or alternative for these?
ultravox
Thanks flts, that's good to know. I wasn't sure if I'd get less than stellar performance/results if strayed too far from the BoM. I'll make sure my part subs have the same specs and tolerances.

flts wrote:
47k and 1M5 are both very common resistance values and you'll certainly be able to find alternate part from many different suppliers in the same store, so no need to substitute another resistance value or look for other sources to order from.

The reason the BOM lists a specific part (from Yageo?) is so that one can just go ahead and order the cart. However, any 1% through hole metal film resistor in same value will work identically. Probably should be something like 1/4 (or 1/2) W though, any bigger than that and the part may not fit on boards nicely.

ultravox wrote:

oldcrow
You want 47KQBK-ND or equivalent. 47KXBK is a typo on my part, apologies.

1.00M 1% try this number, S1MCACT-ND they show 24K in stock.
1.5M 1% try this number, RNF14FTD1M50CT-ND they show 4K in stock.

--Crow

ultravox wrote:
Hi all, I've built my DigiKey Voice Board cart from BoM rev. 2.0 (09/09/2013) and have a couple of minor questions.

I'm building the 8 voice and hoping to get enough stock for all boards.

Many thanks!
ultravox
Thanks Crow! Now my DigiKey cart is complete and I was able to get everything on the BoM. For the few items that were NIL stock I found equivalents that matched the specs.

I ordered LS318 TO-71 6L because the TO-78 was out of stock at Trendsetter. But I've requested they change the order to TO-78 and waiting to hear back on the lead time.

*edit: Trendsetter said it's no problem to swap to the TO-78. Also the young lady on the phone was very nice! hihi

oldcrow wrote:
You want 47KQBK-ND or equivalent. 47KXBK is a typo on my part, apologies.

1.00M 1% try this number, S1MCACT-ND they show 24K in stock.
1.5M 1% try this number, RNF14FTD1M50CT-ND they show 4K in stock.

--Crow
alain6870
Hello,

Any chance to see new boards for sell on the CS80.com site?
oldcrow
Yes, more are on the way. --Crow

alain6870 wrote:
Hello,

Any chance to see new boards for sell on the CS80.com site?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 67, 68, 69  Next [all]
Page 60 of 69