MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Pittsburgh Move case?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Pittsburgh Move case?
toschek
I have two 104s and a 208. I definitely dig this case, although if I had to do it over I'd buy two 204s instead and make an insert with a handle so I could merge them into one unit for travel.
toschek
orangehexagon wrote:
carlosnyb wrote:
A bit of patience goes a long way with the sliding nuts in the move 104 case.

I'm wondering whether replacing the sliding nuts with a strip is easily done or whether it requires skilz, myself.

bumping this. also curious how easy it is to swap with a strip. considering picking up a move soon.

It looks like it would require a screwdriver and a nut strip that was cut to fit the inner rail. I have not had a problem with the sliding nuts on either style of move case that I own, and anyway even if it is a minor hassle how often are you really moving modules around that it's worth complaining about? First world problem IMO.
cger
I have it and it works great.

Here is what I have in it: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/137996

No issues at all, very solid and a great deal for $100 less then competing cases.
orangehexagon
toschek wrote:
anyway even if it is a minor hassle how often are you really moving modules around that it's worth complaining about? First world problem IMO.

I rearrange my modular every week or two, tbh.

Also, if I'm going to drop $600 on a case, I want to make an educated decision.
jvt
I just picked up a Move case with the intention of using it as an ultra portable MiniMod system. However, first thing I noticed after hooking up only four modules (MiniMod VCO, VCF, VCA and a WMD ProOutput) is that when patching in audio from a different system I get a very noticeable hum at the headphone output. Patching CV from an external sequencer or keyboard doesn't work at all. I'm guessing this is some kind of ground problem, but I've never had such an issue with any of my Monorocket or Doepfer cases. Has anyone else experience this? Could I have a bad power supply?
toschek
I have not experienced this at all. Are you operating it close to a CRT monitor/television or unshielded speakers? Tried a different outlet on your power strip or a different power strip? I run all my stuff through a line conditioner so hum is something I don't come across very often unless it's a problem with the device itself. Sorry I can't help you more.
jvt
Played around with it some more. Making a single trigger/gate connection from a second system doesn't seem to exhibit any problems (envelopes fire as expected). However (and this is strange), making a *single* CV or audio connection from a second system has ground problems such the oscillators will not track to CV (e.g., from a sequencer) and external audio introduces ground hum. But, as soon as I make two or more connections between systems (CV, audio or gate in any combination), the ground issues disappear. This behavior absolutely does not happen when connecting between any of my other cases. Since in practice I'm always going to be sending gate and CV to this case I can probably live with this little quirk. But it's odd nonetheless. I suppose I could swap out the power supply, but I'd need to find out what alternative power supplies would work (unless someone can make a recommendation)
imxtristan
booksy wrote:
I have a Move Case. The sliding nuts and power supply (the input from the adaptor doesn't stay secure) are the only issues. The nuts are annoying but not such a big deal. The power supply is okay as long as it doesn't get moved around, but I'm afraid of it being an issue if I take it out live.

Otherwise it's a great case, might eventually sell it to move on to the 6u version.

The power adapter issue is an easy fix- it requires a very small straight screwdriver. If you look into the dc jack, you will see a tongue of metal. This is what makes the connection to the outside of the barrel plug. It also holds the plug in place by acting as a spring and applying pressure to the barrel plug- holding it in place. You need to get behind the metal tongue and pry it towards the center pin of the dc jack. This should add tension to the spring action of the tongue, holding it in place while also making a better connection.
fusionid
have you guys seen the red ones stock anywhere?
silkynight
I tested 3 in the span of the last 3 weeks. First one was returned thinking it was defective, got a replacement one with the same issue. Went to another store an asked to have it tested with their modules, same issue.

with a planar + metropolis + rubicon. The modules were acting really weird (metropolis screen flickering, planar "sense" light always on, rubicon distorting) even though no problem what so ever when i put the modules back in the tiptop happy ending kit.

I returned the move and ordered a "other portable case" instead.

jvt wrote:
I just picked up a Move case with the intention of using it as an ultra portable MiniMod system. However, first thing I noticed after hooking up only four modules (MiniMod VCO, VCF, VCA and a WMD ProOutput) is that when patching in audio from a different system I get a very noticeable hum at the headphone output. Patching CV from an external sequencer or keyboard doesn't work at all. I'm guessing this is some kind of ground problem, but I've never had such an issue with any of my Monorocket or Doepfer cases. Has anyone else experience this? Could I have a bad power supply?
njdoyle
jvt wrote:
Played around with it some more. Making a single trigger/gate connection from a second system doesn't seem to exhibit any problems (envelopes fire as expected). However (and this is strange), making a *single* CV or audio connection from a second system has ground problems such the oscillators will not track to CV (e.g., from a sequencer) and external audio introduces ground hum. But, as soon as I make two or more connections between systems (CV, audio or gate in any combination), the ground issues disappear. This behavior absolutely does not happen when connecting between any of my other cases. Since in practice I'm always going to be sending gate and CV to this case I can probably live with this little quirk. But it's odd nonetheless. I suppose I could swap out the power supply, but I'd need to find out what alternative power supplies would work (unless someone can make a recommendation)

Are you using Pressure Points as your sequencer? I had the same problem with my Pittsburgh Cell when connecting just the PP outputs to another case. I kinda remember Tony posting somewhere that this was a design flaw with the PP but I can't remember where. Maybe the PP outs don't actually provide a ground connection? Anyways, I solve it by just plugging other cables in. I can literally share the ground by plugging a passive mult in one system to a passive mult in the other (I'm assuming the ground is shared through the chassis for me or something).
gonkulator
orangehexagon wrote:
carlosnyb wrote:
A bit of patience goes a long way with the sliding nuts in the move 104 case.

I'm wondering whether replacing the sliding nuts with a strip is easily done or whether it requires skilz, myself.

bumping this. also curious how easy it is to swap with a strip. considering picking up a move soon.

Since I have three of the Cell 90s, and grew very quickly to hate sliding nuts, I replaced the nuts with the threaded (2.5 mm) strips. I did the same thing with the Move 104. The only difference is that you have to remove the rails on the Move to remove the nuts and replace with the threaded strip. Also, since the longest strip I could find is 84 hp, I cut a shorter piece to fill in the rest of the 20 hp. Make sure you mark the rails before you remove them, and replace in the same orientation.

And just for the record, I rearrange modules all the time.
jvt
njdoyle wrote:

Are you using Pressure Points as your sequencer? I had the same problem with my Pittsburgh Cell when connecting just the PP outputs to another case. I kinda remember Tony posting somewhere that this was a design flaw with the PP but I can't remember where. Maybe the PP outs don't actually provide a ground connection? Anyways, I solve it by just plugging other cables in. I can literally share the ground by plugging a passive mult in one system to a passive mult in the other (I'm assuming the ground is shared through the chassis for me or something).

I started by connecting a single cable from the stepped random output of the Woggle Bug in a Monorocket case to the MiniMod filter in the Move case. When that didn't work I tried the oscillator output from a Model 15 oscillator. My third attempt was to connect Pressure Points which also didn't work. It wasn't until I connected a second cable between the two cases that things started to work correctly.
carlosnyb
gonkulator wrote:
I replaced the nuts with the threaded (2.5 mm) strips. [...] you have to remove the rails on the Move to remove the nuts and replace with the threaded strip. Also, since the longest strip I could find is 84 hp, I cut a shorter piece to fill in the rest of the 20 hp. Make sure you mark the rails before you remove them, and replace in the same orientation.

Much thanks!
building
Thinking of buying one for my first case. But was wondering if it's ok to use a US wallwart on the UK power supply case.
squarewavesurfer
njdoyle wrote:
jvt wrote:

I just got a Move 104 case to put my 2 pressure points and brains among other modules. Unfortunately, I too am having problems. The Pressure points tuned voltages and sequencer of the Pressure Points won't work properly in this case. Also, all stage LEDs on the Pressure Points light up. This setup works just fine in my Doepfer A-100 case.

I tried connecting more than one cable from my pressure points in the Move 104 case to something else in the Doepfer case, hoping this was like the issue mentioned above but that did not fix it.

Does anyone have pressure points working in their Pittsburgh Move 104 case?
dc_Sux
Has anyone got any suggestions for brands or specifications for bolts that will fit these sliding nuts?
I've mislaid the bag that came with the case, and NONE of the bolts that come with the units I have bought (Make Noise, Intellijel, Expert Sleepers) seem to fit.
They all wedge in the rail itself before locking into the thread of the nut.

Not sure I'm skilled enough to swap the rails out without ruining the case.
imxtristan
dc_Sux wrote:
Has anyone got any suggestions for brands or specifications for bolts that will fit these sliding nuts?
I've mislaid the bag that came with the case, and NONE of the bolts that come with the units I have bought (Make Noise, Intellijel, Expert Sleepers) seem to fit.
They all wedge in the rail itself before locking into the thread of the nut.

Not sure I'm skilled enough to swap the rails out without ruining the case.

I believe its a 4-40 x 1/4
Ranstedt
Anymore reviews from people that haven't posted in this thread yet?

Thinking of getting a Move 208 for my first case.

Eventually as the setup grows, I'd like to use the move for controllers, sequencers, and other related modules.
prscrptn
squarewavesurfer wrote:
Does anyone have pressure points working in their Pittsburgh Move 104 case?

Yes, using a Move 104 case with the following;

Wogglebug mkii
Rene
Brains
Pressure Points (x2)
ADDAC 703 Discrete Mixer
Rosie

All items operate properly without any issues.
sonicwarrior
Stumbled over the Pittsburgh Move 104 while looking for a portable case with only one row but the reported power supply/ground issues are a bit off putting.

It looks like the case has been changed in the mean time: Wood instead of plastic. Maybe the PSU/ground problem has been addressed, too?

I intend it as a plan B to put my A-154/155 combo in when no one will buy it for the price I'm willing to offer it for. Which is likely because the combo is pretty old and not the new shiny stuff everybody wants (Metropolis, etc.).

Edit: Damn, won't work anyway as the A-154 is 80 mm deep but the Move 104 only allows for up to 70 mm deep modules.
roqeja
anyone know what kind of wall wart can be used with the move 104? mine seems to have died on me.
mdoudoroff
If you’re having a problem with certain modules misbehaving in a Pittsburgh Move case (power supply problems) and your case came with a MeanWell power adaptor, then contact Pittsburgh Modular. They may be able to supply you with a different power adaptor (Volgen) that will resolve the problem.

(This happened to me.)
daybed33
I can highly recommend the 208. Its really nice. Heres what I have in it so far and I've had no power problems at all.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/153218

I just want to find something to tilt it back a little bit, any thoughts?
mdoudoroff
I built a plywood stand for my two 208s:

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 2 of 4