MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

USAMO
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20, 21, 22  Next [all]
Author USAMO
Sofine
Hi Os,

Got my Usamo 2 days ago and just hooked it up this morning.

Win7 x64, RME Fireface UCX, Ableton Live 9 & Studio One v2.6

Took a bit of fiddling to get it almost right . I'm still getting the odd red line in the test pane, say around 30 test failures over 5 mins - is this passable? (notes random) - I don't see any errors sending just clock.

I turned the trim pot ever so slightly down (anti-clockwise) and increased the space knob in the plugin to 20. Before that I was getting 100% red lines!

Clocking (and SPP) my Tempest / OT and RYTM to Ableton feels really tight, and its nice to mess around with the offset knob in the plugin!

Magic box! applause
os
What sample rate was this at? My own results with a UCX are here: http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/usamocompatibility.html
chris_d
edit: added samplerates

just been testing with a roland octacapture interface, everything works (clock + notes).

remarks:

level in usamo plugin at only 0.300. when going out hotter the trim area where all is working gets smaller, when clip led lights, i cant get it to work, have to keep the out level lower.
with this interface its actually possible to light the clip led on usamo, contrary to the other combo i tested (raydat + adcon converter).
sample rate i used for octacapture & raydat/adcon was 44.1khz

best regards,
chris
os
Thanks - again, what sample rates?
Acid Mitch
Is there a way to set "Source" to "none" in test mode ?

Sometimes when I'm opening projects in FLstudio I get a "can't open this device,it's in use" message .
I think it's because USAMO is remembering last used MIDI input in test mode and FLstudio has no "close project".
When you want to open a new project, you just go to "open" or "new" and a pop up menu asks if you want to save or discard current project.You can't have 2 open at same time and it auto closes the first project.

Anyhoo, I think what happens is USAMO has control of a MIDI input and if I open a new project with USAMO in it , FLstufio is detecting USAMO in the first project and telling me I can't use that input in the second project.
I hope that makes sense, hihi .
Sofine
os wrote:
What sample rate was this at? My own results with a UCX are here: http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/usamocompatibility.html

That was at 44.1 (I don't need to do sysex dumps through the Usamo)

I did also initially try at 48 when I was getting errors all the time but it didn't improve anything until I went back to 44 and tweaked the settings as per my earlier post.

I'll give your settings a go

One other thing, I've had a few crashes when I tried to remove the Usamo plugin, or close a session that contains it. I will reboot and see if this behaviour continues
os
@Acid Mitch - if you click on the MIDI source itself, not the browse button, you can enter a string for the source name. Enter an empty or invalid string and you've effectively turned off the MIDI port.

@Sofine - 48kHz should work at least as well as 44.1, usually better.
Sofine
I haven't experienced any further crashes when closing sessions, so all is good here.

I am probably going to order a second box soon too!

Quick Q - rather than use up another output on my RME Fireface UCX, could I use a Y cable (stereo to 2 x mono) and pan one track left and the other right and send different midi signals to each of the 2 Usamo boxes?
os
You mean using the headphone output? In which case, yes.
Sofine
os wrote:
You mean using the headphone output? In which case, yes.

Great Guinness ftw!
JemenJ
Hello os and fellow USAMO users.

Got my unit last friday and it's great!
I have a one question:

- Does the USAMO send DAW's transport control messages?

I'm trying to get my Analog Rytm drum machine to start playing a beat in sync with other gear controlled by USAMO when I hit play from my DAW (Reaper running on MAC OS X)

MIDI Chain: Reaper midi tracks -> Usamo -> Virus KC -> Analog Rytm -> Sub 37
os
If you enable the MIDI clock function, it will send MIDI start/stop messages too.

What audio interface & sample rate are you using, by the way?
JemenJ
Doh! I knew it was something so simple!
Interface:
RME Fireface 800 @ 48k
JemenJ
Not sure if it's a bug or what but here's what I have:

First: Rytm starts playing the beat one bar behind, it's in sync but starts playing late.
I'll press play -> my synth's start to play as sequenced but Rytm comes along one bar behind. Rytm stays silent the first bar.

Second: I have a bassline and topline midi tracks. When I make them loop (painting selection on the DAW... you know the drill) Rytm starts one bar behind like I mentioned but also when the loop starts over Rytm stops. Does the USAMO software send stop in the end of the loop or what is happening?
os
- As mentioned in the manual, the clock starts at the start of the next bar. For reasons unknown, some hosts start the clock very slightly after the start of bar 1, so the USAMO starts at bar 2. If you're using the AU you might try the VST, which is sometimes different.

- Might be a Reaper issue, again. Mac OS X you say? AU or VST?
JemenJ
Oh ok, missed that part from the manual.
Yes, OS X and AU 1.0.1
os
The cycling behaviour is a Reaper bug. I'll report it to them.

Tested the VST though, and that has neither problem. I suggest you use the OS X VST for now.
Acid Mitch
os wrote:
@Acid Mitch - if you click on the MIDI source itself, not the browse button, you can enter a string for the source name. Enter an empty or invalid string and you've effectively turned off the MIDI port.

That works with a couple of caveats, thanks.
I found that when entering the dummy name, USAMO plug in would steal mouse control.
If the cursor is over the USAMO GUI when typing the name and hitting enter, then the cursor disappears. After a minute or 2 of hitting keys and moving the mouse, the cursor reappears at the right hand side of the screen.
If the cursor is not over the USAMO GUI when typing the name and hitting enter then left and right clicks on anything that is not USAMO does not work.
After hitting tab,etc a few times and clicking various things for a minute or 2 , things start to work again.

Also, when opening projects that were saved with an active MDI port in USAMO, I still get the message ,even when I'm coming from a project with no port active.
So, I must have been wrong about the cause of the problem.
os
OK. I'll add a 'clear' button.
os
os wrote:
The cycling behaviour is a Reaper bug. I'll report it to them.

Cockos have confirmed the bug and committed to fixing it in the next release.
os
I just posted Windows v1.0.4
- fixed crash/hang when closing project with active test input
- added 'clear' button for the test input

http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/downloads.html
visible cow
Got it up and running with my Motu 828mkII....actually I was frustrated at first; the activity light stayed on and my cirklon wasn't getting anything...then I tried the test procedure and for some reason it said that my motu midi interface was unavailable even though it wasn't in use. I turned everything off, reloaded the plug in and presto, everything is behaving as I'd hoped. Still couldn't do the test procedure but everything seems to be locked in perfectly with my DAW. That and the activity light isn't stuck on all the time. I'm sure I did something stupid.

I had no idea how much I needed this thing!

EDIT: I'm using Reaper.
os
Glad you got it running. Can I ask what sample rates you've tried?
visible cow
It's running at 48khz
Acid Mitch
os wrote:
I just posted Windows v1.0.4

- added 'clear' button for the test input

Works as expected in FLstudio, applause
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20, 21, 22  Next [all]
Page 5 of 22