MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Blacet Frequency Divider Dedicated Outs Mod
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Blacet Frequency Divider Dedicated Outs Mod
Muff Wiggler
The Frequency Divider has all the divisions from the big rotary switch available all at one. the 12 of them will fit perfectly as 12 jacks on a half-size frac panel. simply solder each lug from the big rotary switch to the hot lug of a new jack, and connect the jack's ground to to common on the PCB, and you're done

so simple to do. such powerful results.

I don't see many people who've done this.... I can't figure out why! It rocks.

Before I did it, I only ever really used the 'second' divider line to get the 'digital keyboard fuzz' thing Blacet mentions.

After adding this expansion panel, I don't think I've done that once. It's a clock dividing powerhouse.

Anyone lucky enough to have this module should really add this expansion.

(sorry for the blurry pic)
Muff Wiggler
in that pic you can also see my LPF mod, described here:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=300
Babaluma
i've been wanting to do this for a while. i think a panel with the FD and this mod, and two hex zones, would be insane! do you think all the outs would fit in a blacet rack ear?
Muff Wiggler
i think they probably would actually! but you would have to mount the ear and the module at the same time, and remove the ear if you ever wanted to remove the module

but yeah, that's a great space saving idea
Cat-A-Tonic
Quote:
It's not a clock dividing powerhouse.

Really?
I thought it would be like a sophisticated pulse divider (for clocks and trigger timing);
plus a bit more flexibility in the note interval division department...
kind of like the Mixtur Trautonium's dividers, but square outputs instead of saw.

The Metal Box Pulse Divider/Logic rules for sequencing applications.
How do you usually use the Freq. Divider?
Muff Wiggler
lol oh fuck what a stupid typo

Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
Really?

not, not really. it IS a clock dividing powerhouse.

it rocks
Muff Wiggler
you've pretty much got a great description right there of what it does. I use it for sequencing, deriving multiple musical divisions from a single clock pulse

i assume the Metalbox is very similar, but with some voltage control - haven't looked too closely at it as I find this modded Freq divider suits my needs very, very well
Kwote
if i ever get the FD i'll do that for sure. you're right. dead simple mod. can't get much simpler.

thanks for posting.
parasitk
I really should do this. Muff, how/where'd you do the front panel?
Muff Wiggler
i bought a 1U blank from PAiA for, I believe, $4

eyeballed the hole spacing and took a hand drill to it twisted

labels from the Brother P-Touch machine, available at Staples, Office Depot, etc
Roycie Roller
So does the FD give you a 'chord' from a single note? Sort of like an octave divider if you want it to be? That's how i used to record Casios- you could literally turn a weasly note into the sound of an orchestra.
Individual outs would be incredible, the amount of depth you could process is pretty damn exciting.
Muff Wiggler
well, to be honest i've never tried, but it's a good idea!

you couldn't get actual chords, it would be all octave divisions... /2, /4, /8

and you would probably have to start with a pretty high pitch to be able to hear anything more than the first few divisions...

before I added the expansion panel, I was using it to get a single low octave to follow the pitch of an oscillator, but since the panel addon it has been used for clock and sequencing work only. i should try it out and see how many divisions I can patch up and still hear when I start with a really high pitch...

thanks!
The Alison Project
throw a 1K resistor between each rotary lug and jack... pretty standard patch protection..

if you look at the schematic you'll see blacet runs his outs thru a non-inverting buffer then thru a 2.2k resistor.
Muff Wiggler
The Alison Project wrote:
throw a 1K resistor between each rotary lug and jack... pretty standard patch protection..

if you look at the schematic you'll see blacet runs his outs thru a non-inverting buffer then thru a 2.2k resistor.

good plan, thanks! i'm going to rewire it at some point, so i'll do this for sure
otoskope
Waking up this old thread...

I just want to add that I read somewhere the other day (probably on Muffs) that you can swap the 4050 non-inverting buffer chip (on the frequency divider) for a 4049 inverting buffer, to get nice off-rhythms and more interesting clock outputs. I guess you could add such inverting buffers to all the divisions in a separate-out mod, so that you get even more interesting rhythms. I think I'm going to try that with mine!

/Palle
idiotunderground
otoskope wrote:
you can swap the 4050 non-inverting buffer chip (on the frequency divider) for a 4049 inverting buffer, to get nice off-rhythms and more interesting clock outputs. I guess you could add such inverting buffers to all the divisions in a separate-out mod, so that you get even more interesting rhythms. I think I'm going to try that with mine!

/Palle

sounds interesting. i've been meaning to make one of these expansion panels for my FD,let us know how it turns out!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1