MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioWiggler Radio   SearchSearch   Muff Wiggler Blog & NewsBlog & News   Muff Wiggler StoreMW Store 
 RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 

New PAiA 9700-series modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author New PAiA 9700-series modules

JP

How well would these play with a Eurorack system.

Is there anything you could cross use other than just straight audio.

edit: lol same thoughts as nuuj I see wink


e-grad

Nuuj wrote:
How hard would these be to convert to Euro?


Just checked the clearance btn the rack rails is bigger in Euro than in Frac (Blacet rack). However, from memory PAiA racks have a bit more clearance than Blacet racks but still less than Euro:

Any PAiA PCB should fit behind an Euro face plate.


werock

They do state that the modules are easily adapted to fit any format.

All we need now is for some decent front panel graphics so they can be uploaded to the RackPlanner, the current images don't look suitable - too much of an angle.

Fnord wrote:
I just ordered 5, these are some seriously good prices.


Agreed, I can't believe how low the prices are.


werock

Not sure I totally get the uses of the Linear to Exponential Converter (beyond converting from V/Hz to V/Oct)...

Anyone care to enlighten me?


glacial23

DGTom wrote:


glacial23 wrote:
Yeah, I just ordered half a dozen... SlayerBadger!


watcha get!?! hyper


Dual VCA, mixer, S&H, CV Source/attenuator/mixer(x2), noise source.

Quote:

If you could snap some back door pics when they arrive that would be super awesome! grin


Will do!


Kendall Station

oh my crap these prices are unbelievable, even for assembled modules. the actual assembly of the kits really must not be that involved if they only charge about $20 to do it themselves. There's some cool stuff, balanced modulator would be nice not much out there in 1U RMs in frac-land. Wish there was some more wacky stuff, not much I feel I really need as opposed to what I have....noise / S&H would be nice though I do have an ASR which is like 3 S&Hs right?

all in all a darn good thing....now they just need a new vco and filter yup.


tobias

Maybe I'm just not thinking hard enough, but what is gate and hold? random gates?


authorless

my guess is "gate and hold" means "track and hold." when the gate in is high, the output mirrors the input, when the gate is low the output holds the instantaneous voltage that was present at the input then the gate went low.


JP

Paia are 10v and 15v respectively so I'm guessing that would be an issue with Euro power rails?


lombrose

In a 9700 system the midi to cv act as a bus to power the other modules in series, one to power another.
Witch is the best way to power these new modules?

huh?


mateo

Blacet sells power supplies: http://www.blacet.com/misc.html


lombrose

I know that, my question is about how to distribut the power between the modules, I know blacet has a power bus too, but paia use different type of power conection, can we plug one of these new modules to another like in the 9700 system? Do I need a power distribution board? not this shit again


ai

Well...just a thought...

There's this:

http://www.adinfinitummusic.com/PDB-1.html

...left over from when I abandoned the LN1500 FracRak Power Supply project (http://www.adinfinitummusic.com/LN1500.html)...stories some other time. You have to use the direct link to get to that page (I'm pretty sure I removed all the links to it from the website) but the shopping cart button seems to work, although the shipping calculator needs a little tuning.

This board has a six-pin Molex connector on one end for the LN1500 power supply cable. It is NOT pin-compatible with the Blacet power supply cable, so I'd be leaving that connector unpopulated.

Instead, I'd probably include a standard Blacet style MODULE power cable (Molex 0.156" 4-pin female-female) that could be connected in a daisy chain from a Blacet distribution board to any of the 0.156" 4-pin connectors on this board. There are nine 0.156" 4-pin connectors (one of these is the power input) and seven 0.100" (PAiA-style) 4-pin connectors. The mounting holes on the ends match the Blacet distro board, so it mounts OK in a Blacet rack, although there are no mounting holes in the middle. You can also mount this along the back of a FracRak like a 1u module (my preference).

You know what? It's available now (why not?), as described here (distro board, minus the 6-pin power supply connector, plus a 4-pin 0.156" power supply cable), from the link above. If there's enough interest, I'll update the page with the correct info and maybe add some polarized PAiA-style power cables...


fluxmonkey

my approach is have a standard distribution board format (i chose .156"); and then make up a special cable for any module that needs an oddball config, like .156" on one end and .100" or doepfer on the other. the majority of frac and DIY boards seem to use .156". ken stone also sells distro boards in that format at $10@.

lombrose wrote:
I know that, my question is about how to distribut the power between the modules, I know blacet has a power bus too, but paia use different type of power conection, can we plug one of these new modules to another like in the 9700 system? Do I need a power distribution board? not this shit again



D/A A/D

ai wrote:
Well...just a thought...

There's this:

http://www.adinfinitummusic.com/PDB-1.html

...left over from when I abandoned the LN1500 FracRak Power Supply project (http://www.adinfinitummusic.com/LN1500.html)...stories some other time. You have to use the direct link to get to that page (I'm pretty sure I removed all the links to it from the website) but the shopping cart button seems to work, although the shipping calculator needs a little tuning.

This board has a six-pin Molex connector on one end for the LN1500 power supply cable. It is NOT pin-compatible with the Blacet power supply cable, so I'd be leaving that connector unpopulated.

Instead, I'd probably include a standard Blacet style MODULE power cable (Molex 0.156" 4-pin female-female) that could be connected in a daisy chain from a Blacet distribution board to any of the 0.156" 4-pin connectors on this board. There are nine 0.156" 4-pin connectors (one of these is the power input) and seven 0.100" (PAiA-style) 4-pin connectors. The mounting holes on the ends match the Blacet distro board, so it mounts OK in a Blacet rack, although there are no mounting holes in the middle. You can also mount this along the back of a FracRak like a 1u module (my preference).

You know what? It's available now (why not?), as described here (distro board, minus the 6-pin power supply connector, plus a 4-pin 0.156" power supply cable), from the link above. If there's enough interest, I'll update the page with the correct info and maybe add some polarized PAiA-style power cables...


I will be buying one of these from you very soon man!


emdot_ambient

authorless wrote:
my guess is "gate and hold" means "track and hold." when the gate in is high, the output mirrors the input, when the gate is low the output holds the instantaneous voltage that was present at the input then the gate went low.

That's what the PAIA site said, if you click on the module and read the details.


emdot_ambient

Oh, and yeah...definitely attractive prices. I think I'll get the noise/S&H and maybe one or two others for use behind a 19" wide full panel I'm working on. You can hardly compete with prices like that even with DIY.

I've never been a fan of their graphics, though. Nor of the Frac system.


Fnord

Just got an email that my order shipped today. Holy crap that was fast.


D/A A/D

Just ordered a mixer, dual vca and balanced modulator (as well as a distro board from AI)!

nanners


glacial23

My kits arrived just a few minutes ago!

Once I get a few together, I'll post some pictures.


D/A A/D

glacial23 wrote:
My kits arrived just a few minutes ago!

Once I get a few together, I'll post some pictures.


Awesome!


gde

glacial23 wrote:
My kits arrived just a few minutes ago!

Once I get a few together, I'll post some pictures.


im curious at what they give you to start with, im assuming youll have some pictures of the modules in their infant stage...

im definitely going to snatch up a few, wish i didnt have to wait on some money

i hope they put out a nice utility VCO in 1FW


gnombient

gde wrote:
im curious at what they give you to start with, im assuming youll have some pictures of the modules in their infant stage...

im definitely going to snatch up a few, wish i didnt have to wait on some money


I hear you man, my modular war chest is very nearly depleted; I won't be able to swoop up any of these for at least another month or so. waah

I definitely agree, some pics of the module kits "out of the box" would be nice!


Fnord

I'm so tempted to fill a frac rack with just mixers and vca's and not ever have to worry about them again.


D/A A/D

Fnord wrote:
I'm so tempted to fill a frac rack with just mixers and vca's and not ever have to worry about them again.


That's why I bought 1 of each...

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 2 of 6
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group