MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Clocked LFO's in FH-1
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author Clocked LFO's in FH-1
Southfork
Can anyone do a brief explenation of clocked LFO's or LFO's in general. Read the manual and threads but can't get my head around it hmmm.....
os
Referring to the CC chart, square waves on the FH-1's own outputs are MIDI channel 5, CCs 96-103.

LFO speed is MIDI channel 3, CCs 0-7 for unclocked, CCs 64-71 for clocked.

http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/fh1CCs.html
Southfork
sending cc's via the midi channels (all of them) just seems to set the level off voltage being put out cc1 is 0v to cc 127 being 5v

Im not understanding something here, I'm sure once i figure out the chart and match it to what I'm setting it will become clear.

Im using ableton to send CC's btw and i have midi monitor on the side so i can see what is being output.
os
It sounds like you're always sending on MIDI channel 1.
Southfork
OK i can see I'm changing the fader using channel 1 and thats working (though i don't need it) but when i change to any of the other channels (3 or 5) in ableton it does nothing, which means I'm screwed as ableton is the only way i can send cc's, I'm pretty sure it's an ableton issue it's awful with midi.

Unless i can find a script to assign a clocked square wave LFO to any channel im going to have to find another interface sad banana
os
While I agree that Live is bad at MIDI routing, it can certainly send CCs to a chosen MIDI channel. On a MIDI track there's a pair of MIDI To menus. The first selects the interface; the second selects the channel to send on. Do you have that set up?
rove74
Also adjust the PW, as it defaults to full on iirc.
Southfork
This is a setup for channel 3, I'm using the iconnectmidi2 so sending to there then to the FH-1

os
rove74 wrote:

Good point, it used to. Fixed in v1.2.
Southfork
os wrote:
rove74 wrote:

Good point, it used to. Fixed in v1.2.

How do i adjust PW? I guess you're referring to the fh-1? cc104-111 etc.
os
PW is on channel 7, CCs 96-103.

http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/fh1CCs.html
Southfork
I officially concede after 1 and a half days :(

Ive tried everything to get a single clocked LFO but something (I'm guessing ableton or the iconnect2) is not working. I can get my computer to send Clock, note midi data, Note on off etc but not CC's!
os
Is the iConnectMIDI2+ set to change the MIDI channels of incoming messages or something?
Southfork
I wouldn't have thought this is possible without a program between the iconnect and the FH-1. The iconnect software can only change the routing between usb and DIN ports as far as I'm aware.

I actually have an iconnect1 which i tried with the same results. Its definitely ableton. Why will it transmit cc on channel 1 but nothing else? very frustrating

Oh If anyone wants to map a clocked square wave to any channel and post the script you'd save me throwing my computer out the window! POW!
os
I posted this previously.

http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/fh1CCs_expmaj.html
Southfork
Thanks os i'll give this a shot thumbs up
Southfork
os wrote:
I posted this previously.

http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/fh1CCs_expmaj.html

Does this script still require me to send cc data to make LFO's work? Im not getting any LFO's from the outputs?
os
Yes, you have to send CCs, but they're all on MIDI channel 1, as per the chart.
Southfork
os wrote:
Yes, you have to send CCs, but they're all on MIDI channel 1, as per the chart.

Yes but as per chart everything on channel 1 is 0?

Maybe I'm reading the chart wrong but the channel column (1-16) refers to the midi to channel of ableton, am i right? So to get any of the settings to read anything but zero i would have to output cc's to channels 2-16?
os
The zero refers to expander 0 i.e. the FH-1 itself.
Southfork
Im still not understanding the chart (sorry for being thick) what would the CC string be on midi channel 1 to set Fh-1 output channel 8 for:

LFO speed 1
lfo multiplier 1
PW 1
clocked speed 1
phase1
square 1
os
Channel 8 would be CCs

15, 23, 63, 71, 79, 95

i.e. the last one of each set of 8.

I'm not sure what you mean by "LFO speed 1" here, since we're talking about channel 8.
Southfork
Still no dice with ableton. Strangely though i downloaded a demo copy of reaper for OSX and if i send any CC data to channel 1 it results in a saw LFO that pulses every 3 seconds. Weird...

I've found a work around for now to clock my modular sequencers with a trigger from an iPad app that (Rarely!) has a rock solid midi clock its also internally clocking all my other iPad apps.
rove74
Also make sure you are actually sending clock from ableton.
Southfork
rove74 wrote:
Also make sure you are actually sending clock from ableton.

Clock is being sent and received fine as the LEDs are moving down the Fh-1 from top to bottom. I Will do more online research today to see if there are any reasons why ableton won't send cc data.
Southfork
Btw does it matter what Cc channel the values are sent from?
os
Do you mean MIDI channel?
Southfork
In ableton im sending CC's via the envelopes section in the midi clip. Select midi Ctrl then there are options for 119 destinations (as in picture) Does it matter which of these is selected? Midi to is still set to channel 1 as discussed.

os
Yes, it absolutely matters. That's the whole point - the thing you're tying in with the FH-1 CC chart.

E.g. if the chart says to use CC 7, you select "7 - Volume".
Southfork
Is it possible to simply delete this thread and spare my blushes Russian Roulette

Great, ok i was getting confused between values in the clip window 0-127 and the controller numbers (shows 0-119 in ableton). Working as expected, thanks for support Os as always.

BTW one last question. Is there a way to shorten trigger lengths coming rom the FH-1? My Nord drum suffers from double triggering (as it does from most eurorack triggers) Would save me running individual triggers to envelopes or getting a gate to trigger converter.
os
The FH-1 triggers are fixed length, though I could add a setting for that.

Are you actually talking about the triggers though, or gates? How are you firing them?
Southfork
I would guess triggers, I'm using channel 14 for the velocity triggers outputs. Would be handy to have a setting to shorten them but If I was being honest the nord drum is pretty picky with its trigger lengths as its not primarily designed for eurorack.
os
Channel 14 does gates and triggers, depending whether you're sending notes above or below note number 64.

If you send gates then you're in complete control of the trigger length, simply via the note length in your DAW.
Southfork
os wrote:
Channel 14 does gates and triggers, depending whether you're sending notes above or below note number 64.

If you send gates then you're in complete control of the trigger length, simply via the note length in your DAW.

Ah ok, reading the manual again I can see channels 13 and 14 can deliver gates or triggers. I'm actually using a number of IPad apps where I don't get an acurate reading of note length, will experiment with them and see what happens.

The possibilities are opening up pretty quickly, so expander looms. I had a quick look at the midi assignment chart and I'm not fully understanding it. For instance is it possible to assign channels 1-8 to 8 triggers/gates (midi channel 13), then assign 9-16 on the expander to cv gate pairs (midi channels 1-4)?
The iPad multi tasks well and I could assign the first 8 outputs to a pattern sequencer and the last 8 to say a generative app and flip between them.
os
Yes you could do that, with a script.

If you put the CV/gate pairs on the FH-1 itself you don't need a script - just use MIDI channels 1-4. Then send your triggers to the expander on MIDI channel 13, using notes 8-15 or 72-79.
Southfork
This is really easy to set up as the pattern sequencer app I'm using lets me specify midi channel and note per pattern lane. Thanks os!
acidicfeces
I'm glad I found this thread because the manual is not explicit in explaining how the assignment charts work.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 2