MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Search is fixed!!! Apologies for the downtime.

Roland System 500
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24, 25, 26  Next [all]
Author Roland System 500
ignatius
recorded a jam video today. will post it later tonight after i sync the audio and edit out the chaf.

lot's of phaser.. some filter acid bits and some audio rate modulation of various things for some atonal fart magic.
MindMachine
ignatius wrote:
atonal fart magic.

Niiiice. Cant wait for the phase. Any delay action?
JuanSOLO
ignatius wrote:
recorded a jam video today. will post it later tonight after i sync the audio and edit out the chaf.

lot's of phaser.. some filter acid bits and some audio rate modulation of various things for some atonal fart magic.

YES!!!
thetwlo
what BBD chip is in the delay?
thanks!
clarkbt
thetwlo wrote:
what BBD chip is in the delay?
thanks!

Josh says MN3007 in that presentation that was posted a few pages back.
h4ndcrafted
My 572 will be delivered today It's peanut butter jelly time!
ignatius
like a dip shit i didn't hit record on the handheld recorder for the first 7 minutes. doh. fuckwad that i am. missed some stuff i really liked. oh well.

still 10 minutes of noodling around a pretty basic patch. it's phaser heavy.

patch is pretty simple. 2 square waves 1 saw into the filter. noisering provides pitch and also some filter modulation. noisering clock out triggers the envelope which opens the VCA. phaser is post VCA and goes from dry to wet and back again through out the video.

it's pretty simple stuff. just trying to show what they sound like. I'll record some more tomorrow and saturday and try to get it all uploaded asap.

darcmorcel
Thanks for this demo Ignatus applause
Eichburger
Right, thats me 100% sold. Thanks for sharing Ignatius.

It is exactly how I hoped it would sound, kind of plastic but alive at the same time. Brilliant.
h4ndcrafted
Haven't had time to do a demo, but I thought I'd upload some close ups of the 572.

Zodanga
Thanks for posting these photos! They will have to hold most of us over until we can get our hands on these modules! smile

The PCB pic shows lots of quad op-amp chips, several 555's down at the bottom where you would expect to see them for the gate conditioning circuitry, and that big fat 1024-stage delay chip in the middle.
jicamasalad
Zodanga wrote:
... and that big fat 1024-stage delay chip in the middle.

And socketed no less!
Hooray for signs of a quality build!
Malekko
Thanks for posting this picture!
A little info on the audio delay. The original 172 used an MN3004 and really was a chorus. For the 572 i used a (much more available yet still 15v) MN3007 and overclocked the crap out of it. From 0 to around 5 will be that chorus detune range but after that it goes into "delay" territory (yes i know choruses are delays too...you know what i mean) Since an oscillator running at high frequencies drives a BBD you will start to hear it come into audible range at around 5 on the time pot and the more you turn that pot the longer the delay times plus lower in pitch the clock becomes. You can coax the BBD delay (about 500ms) by doing this:
set up your patch as you typically would with osc env vca etc. At the end of that signal chain mult it. Take one multed signal and put it to one channel of your final output mixer (a 530 will work) then take a duplicate and run it into the input of the delay and the output into a LPF (a 521 works great) then the output of that filter into a 2nd channel of your mixer. You can use the LPF to roll of the highs (just like one does when designing an analog delay) and get rid of the clock frequency...the mixer will allow you to adjust the levels of dry and effected signal in the final mix. Roland will release some patch diagrams that they and i suggest trying at some point. ENJOY!
h4ndcrafted
So what is the mix knob for, or is this just for being able to roll off high frequencies ?

Doesn't a bbd darken the wet signal normally , or is this just to get rid of the driving Osc signal ?

Sorry to be confused, never used a module like this before.
Malekko
h4ndcrafted wrote:
So what is the mix knob for, or is this just for being able to roll off high frequencies ?

Doesn't a bbd darken the wet signal normally , or is this just to get rid of the driving Osc signal ?

Sorry to be confused, never used a module like this before.

The Mix knob blends the delay level into overall output...if the pot is at 0 it is dry, at 10 is mostly effect very little dry

BBDs dont darken by nature, but BBD based delays filter its repeats, essentially roll off the highs like the above example within the circuitry itself, thats why some manufacturers BBD delays are darker than others, they just filtered the circuit more. Make sense?
Malekko
Also something that is fun...the internal LFO on the 572 is 5v P to P so have a nice bassy square going into the phaser have the mod pot all the way up the shift freq at 1 the res all the way up and mix all the way up...have the LFO go to a nice slow speed...listen to it for a few cycles then insert an external (10V) lfo and hear it completely rip some phasing craziness!! Dont forget audio rate too...
And a noisering into the audio delay mod in...magic
ignatius
recorded another 20+ minutes of demo time with the malekko/roland modules. mostly dry but some delay and very techno + filtery modulations and melodic funnery. very sweet sounding oscillators and filters. to me they just sound good and rolandy like vintage roland hugs.

the more time i spend with them the more i like them. as a little system they jam.
wired
Malekko wrote:
Thanks for posting this picture!
A little info on the audio delay. The original 172 used an MN3004 and really was a chorus. For the 572 i used a (much more available yet still 15v) MN3007 and overclocked the crap out of it. From 0 to around 5 will be that chorus detune range but after that it goes into "delay" territory (yes i know choruses are delays too...you know what i mean) Since an oscillator running at high frequencies drives a BBD you will start to hear it come into audible range at around 5 on the time pot and the more you turn that pot the longer the delay times plus lower in pitch the clock becomes. You can coax the BBD delay (about 500ms) by doing this:
set up your patch as you typically would with osc env vca etc. At the end of that signal chain mult it. Take one multed signal and put it to one channel of your final output mixer (a 530 will work) then take a duplicate and run it into the input of the delay and the output into a LPF (a 521 works great) then the output of that filter into a 2nd channel of your mixer. You can use the LPF to roll of the highs (just like one does when designing an analog delay) and get rid of the clock frequency...the mixer will allow you to adjust the levels of dry and effected signal in the final mix. Roland will release some patch diagrams that they and i suggest trying at some point. ENJOY!

Thanks for sharing this!
dubnspace
both Sweetwater and Control have these for pre-order now. Hoping someone will offer these a bundle with the case for a slightly discounted price.
jicamasalad
Roland informed me that "complete systems", 1 of each module, in the case, will become available in the new year. They didn't mention if there would be a "package discount"...
h4ndcrafted
dubnspace wrote:
both Sweetwater and Control have these for pre-order now. Hoping someone will offer these a bundle with the case for a slightly discounted price.

Yep I checked with my local in the UK and he rang the dealer. They said they would be available as a system.

I expect price will be slightly discounted. I plan on getting the rest.
efm-7
got the 512

efm-7
Sorry for the bad photos. But After staring at the back of this thing for a while, the only thing I see that could be the matched transisor is an SC-88? package marked "1Ft" which brings up the Philips BC847BS.
ignatius
here's 20 more minutes. no phaser. a bit of short delay + high feedback here and there and lot's of noodling in between groovy things.

theewiper
how's the throw on the sliders? same as the jp-08?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24, 25, 26  Next [all]
Page 9 of 26