MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

new intellijel system + modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16, 17, 18  Next [all]
Author new intellijel system + modules
CrankSatori
any estimates of how many mA it's going to take to make this weather control machine go yet?
phosfiend
I'd be equally happy with a version of the 7U without connectivity or even the more complex side panels too. Was hoping to at least hear about price on the cases
Krater
thanks jjclark for listing all the features, starts making sense now. Hope I can try it out soon, maybe at Superbooth.
pulplogic
LoveBot wrote:
I think I read somewhere that the Intellijel 1U rails are not compatible with Pulplogic/Synthrotek/erthenvar...or vice versa; anyone have any more info on this, or can confirm/clarify?

I read that also, however I would be surprised if it was true. The 1U Tile specification has been around since 2012 so it would be strange if they didn't use it.

http://pulplogic.com/1u_tiles/
euromorcego
pulplogic wrote:

I read that also, however I would be surprised if it was true. The 1U Tile specification has been around since 2012 so it would be strange if they didn't use it.

there was a long discussion about this here already, including comments from Intellijel directly (so not just hearsay).

Bottom line: they are not compatible. The Intellijel 1u tiles were designed such that the 4U system actually fits in a 4u rackspace, and 7u fit in a 7u rackspace. The existing specs did not allow for this, the 4u is actually a bit larger than 4u (owing to the size of the rails).
The difference is not much, 3mm or so, if I remember correctly, but sufficient to make both version incompatible with each other. Which is very unfortunate.
dumbledog
pulplogic wrote:
LoveBot wrote:
I think I read somewhere that the Intellijel 1U rails are not compatible with Pulplogic/Synthrotek/erthenvar...or vice versa; anyone have any more info on this, or can confirm/clarify?

http://pulplogic.com/1u_tiles/

There's some more info here:

While I was there, I talked to Danjel about his 1U tile modules, and why he went away from the format others had been creating to date for tiles. He explained that once you included issues like room for a lip in the rack rails, the system others had been following to date didn’t fit cleanly in a true 1U space, causing some issues for racking. He also made what he felt were other design enhancements in power connection etc., and has offered to share all of his specs with other manufacturers in hopes of establishing a better “standard” before 1U tiles become too big of a market segment to change.

So yeah looks like there's a format war brewing. Great.
LoveBot
I was digging around trying to find the link to the discussion but can't seem to locate it. So wait, the Pulplogic Mainframe 3U+1U does not exactly fit into 4U in a regular 19" studio rack? Or am I not understanding correctly? I ask because I have a plan to imminently combine a row of 5U, 3U+1U into a single 19" 9U case.
pulplogic
euromorcego wrote:

The existing specs did not allow for this, the 4u is actually a bit larger than 4u (owing to the size of the rails).

The 1U Tile Spec was designed for a 4U package.
You can see it here: http://pulplogic.com/1u_tiles/

This frame is 4U and fits fine.
euromorcego
and some more information here:

Intellijel wrote:
I knew there was a potential for some controversy with our choice of sizing for the 1U modules but we honestly had no ulterior motives behind this other than being the only practical way we could make them work with our design.

As far as following the lead of those who had come before us that is exactly what we did: we calculate sizes based on official 1U rack standards and Doepfer Eurorack measurements.

Given that 1U = 1.75" and a 1U tile panel is 1.7" that would only leave 0.025" for each rail lip (0.6mm!) and that is without accounting for size tolerances and extra spacing which is usually about +/-0.2mm

It was important for us that the 4U cases fit perfectly in a 4U rack space. This requirement drove all the other sizing.

We also looked at Doepfer 3U specs in terms of distance of panel holes relative to edge of 3U space, panel size vs. opening, rail thickness etc.

We also wanted to keep using the 5x2 pin headers for power so that the modules would be compatible with standard power supplies.

I actually think the idea on Tiles to use a mini header is very clever but it does not work for our modules since we have some that will be using the CV/gate bus and +5V rails.

from: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=134229&postdays=0&po storder=asc&start=484
euromorcego
pulplogic wrote:

yes, indeed. But I can just quote what Intellijel said (see above & and the entire thread, big discussion there). Since I have neither the pulplogic case nor the new Intellijel, I cannot say anything meaningful beyond that (but I checked the Clicks and Clocks 4u brackets and they indeed are more than 4u).

EDIT: Intellijel states "1U Panel height = 44.45 - 4.85mm = 39.6mm so this is the height our panels are". Pulplogic/Erthenvar tiles are 1.7'' (approx 43mm). The difference (according to specs) is not much, but it seems to be sufficient to prevent mix-and-match.
wavefold
I can already see the eternal waitlist for those modules waah
geremyf
Which is why we want the pre-order info STAT!
taylor12k
a Twitter exchange with danjel this morning on the new panels.

the panels are need a new material. same metal that Mutable y will be making and stocking extra panels if you want to convert existing intellijel modules you own to the new look.
geremyf
Oh excellent. That is very good news!

It looks like rainmaker is 36hp, correct? Too bad it couldn't have been 30 hp to fit in a 104 skiff with Atlantis + Metropolis. But I guess the 7U system with at least a Shapeshifter as well is in the cards.
Voggg
Might get that squash at some point when I have more space.

It would be so much fun to put four of the speakers in the corners of a 12 u case.
njdoyle
Can someone help explain to me exactly how the link connections work on compressors (the Jellysquasher)?

I understand the theory that it makes the compressors behave the same on stereo as to not mess up the image. I'm more interested in what signal precisely comes out of the link jack. Would it basically be a VCA CV or something? Would linking two compressors together make one of them be a master and the other one ignore it's input for determining compression amount and just compress according to the other linked compressor? Do I still have to have the knobs set identically on both units for a consistent sound?
intellijel
pulplogic wrote:
euromorcego wrote:

The existing specs did not allow for this, the 4u is actually a bit larger than 4u (owing to the size of the rails).

But that is because the rails you are using in this do not have any lip at all so they are atypical to the most commonly used rails (e.g. doepfer, tiptop etc.)

As stated in the other thread I made my calculations on the panel size to be the same ratio as the panels used by doepfer in the 3U size.

This is the only way it would work with our extrusions that have lips.
zdarma
clarke68 wrote:
orangehexagon wrote:
clarke68 wrote:
Too much of a studio tool than an instrument for me, but I'm sure plenty of people here will lust like crazy after that thing.

genuinely curious why... care to explain?

It just doesn't look playable. It looks like something that you'd work with at length to get a setting that you like (and it probably allows you to save the setting) and then let it do it's thing in your patch/track/composition/etc. Plenty of people like to work that way...nothing wrong with that...it's just not the way I use my modular.

For clarity, this is how I use my modular:

w00t
Looks like fun!
intellijel
njdoyle wrote:
Can someone help explain to me exactly how the link connections work on compressors (the Jellysquasher)?

I understand the theory that it makes the compressors behave the same on stereo as to not mess up the image. I'm more interested in what signal precisely comes out of the link jack. Would it basically be a VCA CV or something? Would linking two compressors together make one of them be a master and the other one ignore it's input for determining compression amount and just compress according to the other linked compressor? Do I still have to have the knobs set identically on both units for a consistent sound?

The LINK out is essentially an envelope follower or the control signal you would use to adjust the gain of the VCA that the audio is being fed through.

If both compressors get fed the same control signal then they get compressed the same way. The user would have to make sure that other settings match such as which color circuits are engaged and input levels.

All the controls in blue (threshold, ratio, attack, and decay) basically determine the shape of this control signal relative to the incoming audio.
pulplogic
intellijel wrote:
pulplogic wrote:
euromorcego wrote:

But that is because the rails you are using in this do not have any lip at all so they are atypical to the most commonly used rails (e.g. doepfer, tiptop etc.)

As stated in the other thread I made my calculations on the panel size to be the same ratio as the panels used by doepfer in the 3U size.

This is the only way it would work with our extrusions that have lips.

I understand and I'm not interested in any controversy. But please don't say that the current tiles don't fit in a 4U package. They have been used in a 4U package since 2012.

On another note. Congratulations on the new designs. They look fantastic!
intellijel
Quote:

I understand and I'm not interested in any controversy. But please don't say that the current tiles don't fit in a 4U package. They have been used in a 4U package since 2012.

no problem I will make that clear that we wanted our 1U modules to work with rails that had lips. Really the whole reason we made these was not to invent a new standard but to have a place to put the i/o points for power, midi and audio modules. I really wish I could have made it work with existing tiles!

Quote:
On another note. Congratulations on the new designs. They look fantastic!

thanks!
SamUK
jjclark wrote:

• Individual tap delays are set according to one of 16 preset patterns (grooves)

Can you elaborate on this a bit more? Does this mean you don't have individual control over the time of each tap? But instead the ratios are predefined? (e.g. evenly spaced, primes, etc). What does the amount control over groove do?
bucketbrigade
The demo video of rainmaker has my mind reeling with possibilities. Seems like a module I could get lost in forever. Favorite NAMM announcement for me. applause
drxcm
I'm curious about the Rainmakers pitch-shifting.

In the demo video, it sounds like the pitch is quantised (steppy) when modulated or adjusted by the pot. Maybe its a setting?

Can anyone from intellijel confirm if this is the case?
jjclark
SamUK wrote:
jjclark wrote:

• Individual tap delays are set according to one of 16 preset patterns (grooves)

Can you elaborate on this a bit more? Does this mean you don't have individual control over the time of each tap? But instead the ratios are predefined? (e.g. evenly spaced, primes, etc). What does the amount control over groove do?

Yes, exactly. The groove amount cross-fades the selected groove pattern and a uniform spacing. So, if you have selected the swing groove pattern, the groove amount gives you the amount of swing.

Keep in mind that you can mute some of the 16 taps to give more control over tap spacing.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16, 17, 18  Next [all]
Page 5 of 18